Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where's the Offense?

5 posters

Go down

Where's the Offense? Empty Where's the Offense?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:09 am

Although the Pilots have won their recent games, there are some concerns cropping up. We've commented on Alec's playing time and potential tired legs. But this last game, a problem often seen with Rev's teams came back, and that is extended scoring droughts. Yesterday, there was a 6 minutes period in the first half, and a 5 minutes period in the second half where the Pilots failed to score. Since the Beavers were offensively challenged, it wasn't fatal, but it will be against better teams.

We also saw a late game strategy of running clock. Coach Porter stands on the sideline, holding Alec back near mid-court, and gives the signal to start the offense when he judges to clock is run down enough. So far it is working, mainly because Alec is so good driving into the key and finishing. And it has the effect of giving the players a little rest during the run of play. But I grew up watching Pilot teams try to nurse small leads by stalling out games, and it was often a failing strategy. They can't catch you if you keep scoring.

Back to top Go down

Where's the Offense? Empty Re: Where's the Offense?

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:10 am

Against OSU, the main factors leading to the Pilots' low scoring output appear to be a bad shooting percentage and a very bad turnover rate.

The three players contributing to the bad shooting percentage were Wintering, Johnson and Tyson. We've come to expect streaky shooting from Tyson, but Wintering and Johnson shot well below their season averages. Perhaps a result of fatigue? Perhaps they are both being forced to take too many shots, because there aren't other good options? I'd like to see Taylor get more shots, and Wintering and Johnson take fewer.

The turnovers have been largely of Wintering's making. I'm not sure that there's any easy fix there.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:05 pm

OSU while not very good this year still have Pac12 talent. They did a great job disrupting our guys and closing out on shooters. I don't think there is anything to worry about yet.

That said, I still think Wintering needs to reduce his minutes.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:20 pm

blacksheep wrote:OSU while not very good this year still have Pac12 talent.  They did a great job disrupting our guys and closing out on shooters.  I don't think there is anything to worry about yet.
Agreed!

From Kerry Eggers and the Portland Tribune:
 In his pregame talk before Sunday’s Moda Center matchup with Oregon State, University of Portland coach Terry Porter laid it out for his players.

“In order to win this game,” Porter said, “we have to get our hands dirty.”

After the Pilots’ 53-45 victory, their mitts must have looked like those of miners.

Floor burns, rebounds and defense were the bywords as Portland bounced the Beavers for the first time since 2005.
“We got on the floor,” said Porter, the first-year UP coach and former Trail Blazers great. “We battled with those guys.”

“It’s early,” Porter said. “If someone had told me we’d be 7-3 at this point, I’d have taken it, no doubt. Considering our schedule.

“I’m very pleased with what (the players) have put into it and excited for the rewards for all the hard work. It’s about relying on the defensive end to stay in games.”   

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/336913-216313-dirty-work-has-pilots-cleaning-up
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:08 pm

The other Portland paper has an article about a team from down the valley suffering another defeat.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2016/12/oregon_state_suffers_another_s_1.html#incart_river_index
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:15 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:The other Portland paper has an article about a team from down the valley suffering another defeat.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2016/12/oregon_state_suffers_another_s_1.html#incart_river_index

That headline did not make me happy, to say the least. Getting some more Ws under our belt will force the O to actually pay attention.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:22 pm

Offense?  Who needs it when you've got this:

Where's the Offense? Phil10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:33 pm

PilotNut wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:The other Portland paper has an article about a team from down the valley suffering another defeat.

That headline did not make me happy, to say the least.  Getting some more Ws under our belt will force the O to actually pay attention.

Could be worse. The Corvalis paper is in complete denial with no mention whatever of the result - not even a box score.

Nice articles on the women's team, though.

Even the Eugene paper had an article, though it was about the Pac-12 team struggling.

No Pilots interviewed.

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/35102921-81/beavers-rudderless-in-loss-to-pilots.html.csp

And they had full coverage of the Zags win over Tennessee. Mark Few was eloquent.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:15 pm

Cheers to the Register-Guard on that headline, proving they understand what kind of Pilots we are, and taking full advantage of the metaphorical opportunities presented therein.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down