Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dam City Classic

+8
NoPoNeighbor
ExpatPilot
Stonehouse
Dean Murdoch
StudentPilot
yotes
blacksheep
DoubleDipper
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dam City Classic - Page 2 Empty Re: Dam City Classic

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:18 pm

Wow.

39% shooting

Turn over 26.7% of your possessions,

and still win.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:40 pm

OK, Coach Porter doubled down. Instead of playing 8, he only played 7 this game. Alec and Gabe both played 40 minutes.

Geezaldinho wrote:Turn over 26.7% of your possessions,

and still win.

Helps when the other guys only shoot 28%, and only 60% from FT line.

Great D!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:04 pm

We expected that the Pilots would have a tough time with Eubanks. Not sure if I expected the Pilots to have a 44-24 rebounding advantage today.

Hartwich's line is awesome. 12 rebounds, 5 fouls, 0 shot attempts.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:We expected that the Pilots would have a tough time with Eubanks. Not sure if I expected the Pilots to have a 44-24 rebounding advantage today.

Hartwich's line is awesome. 12 rebounds, 5 fouls, 0 shot attempts.

Phil's line include 3 blocks.

Eubanks averages 14 points and 9 rebounds. Tonight he had 6 and 4.

So credit Phil,and Gabe, ( and Chier).
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:24 pm

I expected a somewhat ugly game. It was a slog! That said, I think a great and gritty effort to win a tough game! Coach made some great calls down the stretch. Got a really nice feeling W.

- Thought Philip played quite well. He is really progressing on the defensive and rebounding portions of his game.
- Jazz is really impressing me with his improved play overall, but I think his defense is getting better and better.
- D'Marques had good maturity in his shot selection tonight, as well as mixing it up by driving to the bucket. He will need to continue this on the offensive side to be constantly effective. Growing on the defensive end of the ball but will need to continue to focus his effort and energy down there to not pick up the ticky tack fouls he constantly picks up.
- Chier - I was impressed with the leap from game one to game two for Chier. Still rusty. Still a bit hurries. But to me I saw it coming along for him. If he gets into the flow and gets confidence.....watch out! Talented.
- Alec - Maturity and calmness to get frustrated but not lose control. Everything didn;t go right, but he is just so with it in his head it doesn;t matter. And his ability to finish at the bucket!! Stud. I am worried about his minutes. Couple free throw misses that were off the front iron - i hope it's not tired legs.

Lots of others i am sure!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:39 pm

When was the last time we dominated a PAC team in rebounding?

( they had to be a PAC team when we did it)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:30 pm

Great win!

- Gabe Taylor had better make Maupin's WCC "Team of the Week." Averaged 17 points and 10 rebounds, plus made the game-winning shot against South Dakota.

- Alec's turnovers are getting to be a major issue. Over the last four games, his TO totals have been 8, 5, 7, 6. We dominated OSU in every statistical category, but they were able to hang around because of so many wasted possessions. Alec's shooting numbers were off tonight, too. Maybe both of these things are related to playing so many minutes. Let's hope the Pilots can get a comfortable lead on Tuesday night and Alec can get get a breather, and give Ferguson some minutes. Alec's played every single minute for the last 6 games in a row.

- Hartwich played a great game at the defensive end. Maybe that's all we can hope for from a Pilot center this season. I was worried that Eubanks would be unstoppable. Phil (and an aggressive double team) stopped him cold.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:31 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Great win!

-

- Alec's turnovers are getting to be a major issue. Over the last four games, his TO totals have been 8, 5, 7, 6. We dominated OSU in every statistical category, but they were able to hang around because of so many wasted possessions. Alec's shooting numbers were off tonight, too. Maybe both of these things are related to playing so many minutes. Let's hope the Pilots can get a comfortable lead on Tuesday night and Alec can get get a breather, and give Ferguson some minutes. Alec's played every single minute for the last 6 games in a row

Major issue might be overstating.

In two of those games he had a positive assist/turnover ratio, and he averaged 19 points over those four games.

His rebounding has been pretty good for a midget my height (26 ) and his steals(9) led all playewrs.

When you play every minute of every game you will accumulate negatives, but his positives WAY outshines them. Gabe, for instance has had 11 turnovers and zero assists in the spell handling the ball maybe 10% of what Alex did. That's not the measure of his play over the last four games either.

What I find more troubling is the unforced turnovers where he just slips or falls down for no apparent reason, ( especially late) and him shooting short. Both are signs of fatigue.

The two PAC teams had tall lanky guards who tried to make somebody but Alex beat them . They succeeded once. I'm not so sure the coaches had that great a plan for when opponents key on him. Jazz is perfectly capable of taking some of the heat away.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Wonderful game plan and execution!

If often seemed the Pilots had at least 3 players on Eubanks, but even on his own, Philipp was up to the task.  

I heard some say he was "gun shy" about shooting, but IMO Philipp was the MVP of the game because he knows his role....defend, pull down rebounds, and get the ball to the guards.

Looks like the rotation is set, as Coach Porter wanted  to have done at this point.  Tonight only 7 played, but Smoyer and Marshall will get time too.

Like some, I too am concerned Wintering is playing too many minutes and Ferguson is not getting any game experience before WCC play begins....I wouldn't be surprised of Coach Porter feels the same.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:44 am

I agree with most of the comments here... I missed the SD game, but was happy with the defensive effort today, particularly on Eubanks.

It would be great if Alec could limit his minutes somewhat on Tuesday... we need Ferguson to get some time on the court for experience and rest for Al.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:17 am

Guess Eubanks chose the wrong school. Wink
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:37 am

pilotram wrote:Guess Eubanks chose the wrong school. Wink

Oh, it worked out pretty good for him last year. But the Beavs lost some key seniors, and had some strong players transfer, while others deal with injuries. Kind of a confluence of issues this year. Glad the Pilots got them while they are down. I remember a few years ago, when they were down pre-Tinkle, and we played them there. I thought the Pilots could get a good win, but it wasn't to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:58 am

There was the game a few years ago at Chiles that we gave away when they forced OT after we led all of the 2nd half. Not that I am still bitter about that...

It was good to finally get the W.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:08 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I heard some say he was "gun shy" about shooting, but IMO Philipp was the MVP of the game because he knows his role....defend, pull down rebounds, and get the ball to the guards.  
Coach Porter wrote: “Phil really took the challenge of staying tall, build walls and not let him get anything,” . “(Eubanks) didn’t get into any type of rhythm. We know how effective he can be when he gets into his sweet spots.”  

DoubleDipper wrote:Looks like the rotation is set, as Coach Porter wanted  to have done at this point.  Tonight only 7 played, but Smoyer and Marshall will get time too.
Coach Porter wrote:  “Eight (in the rotation) maybe would be about it. It depends on who’s rolling. Gabe, Jazz and Al all played 40 minutes today."   

DoubleDipper wrote:Like some, I too am concerned Wintering is playing too many minutes and Ferguson is not getting any game experience before WCC play begins....I wouldn't be surprised of Coach Porter feels the same.

Coach Porter wrote: “When I get a chance to steal some rest for them, I’ll do it. Al was tired at the end. He didn’t have his legs, we ask so much of him. He’s been a great leader. He does everything for us at both ends of the floor. We have to pick our spots and try to rest him as much as we can.”  
http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/336913-216313-dirty-work-has-pilots-cleaning-up
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:13 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:- Gabe Taylor had better make Maupin's WCC "Team of the Week." Averaged 17 points and 10 rebounds, plus made the game-winning shot against South Dakota.
Well, not Maupin, but even better, "University of Portland junior forward Gabe Taylor has been named the West Coast Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Week for December 19, 2016."

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2016/12/19/portlands-gabe-taylor-named-wcc-mens-basketball-player-of-the-week.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:27 pm

TP answered or addressed most of PilotNation's questions on his show tonight.....

Yes, he said, "I'm a big believer that we try to foul before they get the shot off" when referring to the 2.2 second situation against South Dakota.  He said the coaching staff  was "surprised by the inbound pass that USD made"....lesson learned. (TP alluded to wanting to foul in that situation with less than 10 seconds remaining.)

Yes, he wants to get Alec some minutes of rest.  "It's going to be a game by game," meaning if can we afford to take him out.  "I may have to use more timeouts," he said.

He also addressed a situation that made us all smile during the OSU game.  When the refs seemed to miss a hacking call by OSU on Alec during a drive to the hoop, the refs immediately came over and gave the far end of the UP bench a warning.

When TP asked the ref who specifically he was warning, he was told, "the priest."  There was of course was a lot of kidding about T-ing up a priest and the bad karma and social media that would result from kicking him out.

But by way of explanation, apparently trainer Rich Bennett made a few comments while Fr. Dan was making a hacking motion with his hand/arm, and the ref thought Fr. Dan was doing both the gesturing and the yelling.  In this case it truly was a case of "no foul, no harm." Razz

Oh, and the big guy we saw at both games was, in fact, recruit Austin Stone....finally making his official visit after signing in November.  TP said there was also an unsigned recruit at the game....he didn't say what high school year he was in.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:34 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Great win!

- Gabe Taylor had better make Maupin's WCC "Team of the Week." Averaged 17 points and 10 rebounds, plus made the game-winning shot against South Dakota.

Not only did Gabe make the Team of the Week, but Jazz did too. http://www.midmajormadness.com/2016/wcc-power-rankings-west-coast-conference-week-6

Plus, after dropping the Pilots to 5th last week, this week he moved the Pilots to 3rd.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2