Hoops Alumni

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hoops Alumni

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:54 pm

Thought it would be worthwhile to start a thread to cover the comings and goings of the Men's Basketball Alumni as we hear of what the guys are up to after they graduate from UP.

First on the list is the most recent UP grad to play professionally, Bryce Pressley. Bryce just signed with Pasta Reggia Juvecaserta in Italy's top division. From what I've been told, the people of Casserta, which is just north of Naples, get very wild and crazy in support of their team....

I'm told Riley Barker has left the Czech Republic and is now playing in Hungary's top division for JP-Auto Jaszbereny KSE, and Nem Mitrovic has departed France and is now in the Spanish Gold League playing for Ourense Termal in the northwest of the country.

Nik Raivio, who has moved a number of times looking for the right fit, has apparently found it for now as he is starting his second season with Legnano, in Castellanza, Italy....at the base of the Italian Alps in northern Italy.

As reported in anther thread, Voldy Gerun is still in Spain's Gold Division, but now he's signed with C.B. Clavijo in the northern city of Logrono.

When I spoke with Bobby Sharp a couple of months ago he indicated he'd be assisting Colin Pfaff at Windward School in Los Angeles.

And finally, in a bit of surprise move, Thomas van der Mars has left Greece and has signed with AVIS Rapla in Estonia! From what I can tell, the entire roster of Thomas' new team from last year has left, and Thomas is one of only three players currently on the roster for this year. Hopefully the situation is not that bad, and instead news from Estonia just travels slowly. Razz

Anyone else have any hoops alumni news?

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6246
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoops Alumni

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:08 pm

pilotdad1 in another thread wrote: Just wanted to let the PN faithful know that on Tuesday, Ryan will be heading to Germany to begin his third pro season. He will be living in Trier playing for the Gladiator Trier in the Pro A league.

After living in Palma last year it would be logical to think that anywhere else is a distant second but Ryan is very excited to experience one of Germany's oldest cities.

And I heard just today that Jasonn Hannibal has apparently ended his professional basketball career after competing in the Iranian Basketball League last year while playing for Chemidor Tehran.

Jasson is now back in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada putting his UP degree to good use while working in marketing and advertising.....

Not sure I'd buy a used car from that man.... Razz

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:13 pm

Heh. Funny (and timely) story about Jasonn. Most of you know I play in UP's Orchestra occasionally (in addition to being the guy with the cowbell in the Pep Band), and that Jasonn was a string bass player during his time on the Bluff. The Orchestra is playing an all-Copeland concert next Saturday, including "Hoe Down" from Rodeo. We played this a few years ago, while Jasonn was in the group. Last rehearsal before the concert, Dr. Kleszynski asked the group, "Last chance...any sections you want to run one last time?" Jasonn spoke up to ask if we could run that one section everybody knows (the music from the "Beef. It's what's for dinner." commercials from the 90's). So we run that section. I look up, and realize that just like me, Jasonn has rests and isn't playing at all. He and I just started laughing; took the entire 30 seconds or so before Dr. K realized what happened. Probably because he looked up after we finished and asked Jasonn, "All set now?" and saw him cracking up instead.

PilotDrummer
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 487
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:38 am

Hey, remember some of the players from the 90's? Remember Eric and Daniel Sandrin and how everyone used to yell, "Free the Koreans" because they usually got in more trouble than they got game time?

Well, Eric is now Lee Seung-jun, and Daniel is Lee Dong-jun. Here are their profiles on Wikipedia, from which you can tell they are not only still active professional basketball players, but the instigators of a number of on-court skirmishes. Some things just never change.... Shocked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Seung-jun_(basketball)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Dong-jun

Here's a quick article about Lee Seung-jun's (Eric) recent signing and a couple of pictures.....

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/lee-seung-jun-eric-sandr

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Hmm, you'd think I'd remember those guys, especially Daniel, given this stat from his Wiki entry:
Lee began his basketball career playing for the University of Portland in the 19981999 season, appearing in eight games and scoring an average of 106.5 points.

up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3512
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum