Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do we go from here?

+31
PDX
pilotfan4life
Rochin54
Rob's Jacket
The Wingman
deprofundis
pilotdad1
2002Pilot
Urika
newpilotfan
jumpstop
piloted
KTodd
mikemac65
upbasketball544
Oldfan
blacksheep
Stonehouse
DTLegend
Woodless 2.0
bullwinkle
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
pilotram
Dean Murdoch
SoCalPilot
wrv
DoubleDipper
ExpatPilot
35 posters

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

Where do we go from here? - Page 6 Empty Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:25 pm

piloted wrote:agree with newpilotfan....UP is an outstanding institution and such a special place! However, using the academic excuse doesn't work with me. Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Pepperdine, USD...all have high academic standards and have found a way to have success in both (not necessarily pepp and USD on a consistent basis but have certainly have made NCAA tourney runs more recently than pilots).

The last year the Feds have the graduation success rates listed was 2008. Let's compare..

St.Mary's was 80%, the best in the league. Of the other schools on your list, Gonzaga's was 45%, USD's was 42%, and Pepperdines was 33%.

Reveno's 2008 numbers were 67%, and he graduated every player he recruited since then.

So at least Pepp and USD suck both academically and on the court. Gonzaga beat our asses on the court but not in the classroom. I don't recall that Josh Heytvelt or Robert Gray was on any all academic team or did post graduate work. What field Adam Morrison graduate in?

At USD they could have started they first team meeting with

" look to the left and right of you...only one of you three will get a degree."

And BTW, the last Holton team had 7 (count'em...SEVEN) players on academic probation -- more than half the team. Reveno must have graduated some of those guys. The carry over from the Holton years matched USD's abysmal 33%

We'll see what the next coach does.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:01 am

The Beacon wrote: Photos of his team hung on one wall, opposite a row of plaques recognizing his players’ academic accomplishments and on-court honors. But the man in the middle of the office wasn’t the same, his whole world had been turned upside down. So he sat in a familiar place, surrounded by familiar things and did his best to process the shock.

He said the diplomatic things. He said all the things one would expect. Then, he leaned back in his chair, put his head in his hands and let the tears flow.  
Another good one from Malika Andrews and the Beacon:
http://www.upbeacon.com/2016/03/16/eric-reveno-says-goodbye-to-pilots-basketball/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Urika Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:29 pm

https://highereddecisions.com/csc/emp_apply_login.asp?vacancy=P0001

http://hoopdirt.com/job/head-coach-university-of-portland-full-time/

For Pilot Nation's sake, I hope the sum to CarrSports Consulting is a small one

Would have thought Leykam with his experience and connections would have had a better handle on things.  Not to mention, knowing that this time would come

Urika
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:23 pm

That is another excellent article by Andrews. UP and The Beacon are lucky to have her!

I'm glad she got the Kevin Bailey quote. Nice to hear his positive thoughts about Coach Reveno.

I'm also glad to hear Wintering say that he committed to UP, not just to Reveno. I was worried he'd be looking for a transfer...

Also interesting to hear Reveno basically endorse the hiring of a Terry Porter-type candidate (although I think it is a little demeaning to refer to such a person as a "Pied Piper").

What a difficult time this must be emotionally for Rev and his family. We all know how much he loved his job, the University, and his team.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:32 pm

If Terry Porter is truly interested in the job, and my sources say that he is, Portland should get him signed up ASAP.

I'm afraid the hiring process has too many committees to move fast though.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 2002Pilot Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:53 pm

If Terry Porter is truly interested and he and the U are close to agreeing on a salary, there better be someone in authority who can sign off and get it done NOW!  

In one of the articles I believe I read it saying Rev's salary was around $450k.  Will Terry coach for a salary around this amount?  To me agreeing on a salary will be the hold up.

There are not very many coaching candidates out there I feel are huge upgrades from Rev, but this is one.  The community outreach and basketball resources Terry has to offer will help the University immensely.

He played college ball at a small school which I hope would help him in selling to prospects that you can play at a small school and still make it to the NBA.

2002Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:The last year the Feds have the graduation success rates listed was 2008. Let's compare..

St.Mary's was 80%, the best in the league. Of the other schools on your list, Gonzaga's was 45%, USD's was 42%, and Pepperdines was 33%.

Reveno's 2008 numbers were 67%, and he graduated every player he recruited since then.

So at least Pepp and USD suck both academically and on the court. Gonzaga beat our asses on the court but not in the classroom. I don't recall that Josh Heytvelt or Robert Gray was on any all academic team or did post graduate work. What field Adam Morrison graduate in?
Haha. A poster on the BYU board disparaged GU's academics, and a couple Zags jumped in to tout their academic A-As over the years.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:23 pm

An interesting wrinkle is that Porter has one son on the Saint Mary's roster, and another who is a 2016 high school prospect here in town at Jesuit.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:49 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:An interesting wrinkle is that Porter has one son on the Saint Mary's roster, and another who is a 2016 high school prospect here in town at Jesuit.

In the "getting way ahead of ourselves category" - SMC just went through a similar situation a couple years ago when Cullen Neal had an NLI signed with the Gaels, but Bennett let him out of it after Neal's dad (Noodles) took over at New Mexico.

Completely different story here though, with Franklin Porter already on the SMC roster and Portland obviously being a conference rival.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfan Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:06 pm

I believe the WCC does not allow a player to transfer from one Wcc school to play for another Wcc school, for men's basketball

Oldfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:24 pm

Oldfan wrote:I believe the WCC does not allow a player to transfer from one Wcc school to play for another Wcc school, for men's basketball

Rob Jones.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Oldfan wrote:I believe the WCC does not allow a player to transfer from one Wcc school to play for another Wcc school, for men's basketball

Two-year waiting period, as I understand it. It's likely something that SMC could choose to waive in favour of a one-year waiting period, although I'm just guessing here.

Like I said though, wayyyyyyyyy ahead of ourselves. Just food for thought.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:

Two-year waiting period, as I understand it. It's likely something that SMC could choose to waive in favour of a one-year waiting period, although I'm just guessing here.

Like I said though, wayyyyyyyyy ahead of ourselves. Just food for thought.

From the BYU site.

Additionally, the West Coast Conference has established an intra-conference transfer rule for the sports of men’s and women’s basketball only, which states:
In the sport of men’s and women’s basketball only, a student-athlete who previously enrolled at a Conference institution and transfers directly or indirectly to another Conference institution shall fulfill a one-year residency requirement upon enrollment and shall be charged with the loss of one of the four permissible seasons of competition.

So, sit a year, lose a year. Nevertheless, Rob Jones transferred from USD to Saint Mary's without sitting or losing a year.

Hardship- wanted to be closer to family.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfan Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:36 pm

Rob Jones was the last one before the rule change. Look it up.

Oldfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:33 pm

Oldfan wrote:Rob Jones was the last one before the rule change. Look it up.

I don't believe that's correct, as the issue was well discussed when he transferred and the rule was already in place, as you can see from this post here:

http://godisagael.yuku.com/topic/3101/Rob-Jones#.VuugQvBHarU

( post #2, which on the Gaels forum is the third post in the thread.)

He is the last player who transferred, but the rule was in place and he got a hardship exception.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:02 am

Terry Cahill wrote:

In the "getting way ahead of ourselves category" - SMC just went through a similar situation a couple years ago when Cullen Neal had an NLI signed with the Gaels, but Bennett let him out of it after Neal's dad (Noodles) took over at New Mexico.

Completely different story here though, with Franklin Porter already on the SMC roster and Portland obviously being a conference rival.
How'd that work out for Coach's Son, anyways? He gets PT, but UNM is slipping.
Where did "Noodles" come from?
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:54 am

No offense to anyone but we are way, way, way off track. No matter what the Porter boy's choose to do if their father becomes the head coach at Portland is somewhat irreverent.

The more important question is weather Mr. Porter would be the correct choice at Portland. I understand his reputation with the community and his big name, but when it comes to running a college program, will he be able to take us to the next level where we want to be.

Many praises have been said about Coach Reveno and rightly so. He has us on solid footing in terms of NCAA compliance and academics. Say what you will about Rev but the job the next coach takes over will be better than the job Coach Reveno inherited. My point here is the next coach will need to maintain where the program currently is, and improve in the winning department. Terry Porter may be the man to do that, but looking at his head coaching record, it's not going to impress many. Granted that is at the NBA level, and there are differences I understand that.

One key aspect that we need in a new coach, is someone who changes the culture associated with Pilot Basketball. I know this doesn't mean a whole lot but the high school I went to was built in the 80's. When I attended school there in the mid 2000's we had yet to make a state tournament. We were in Montana's largest division with only 13 schools and 8 made the state tournament every year. Even when we were a solid team we'd lose in the qualifying game. When I left we got a new coach, and immediately they started winning. I think a lot of it was just a change in attitude. The new coach brought something a little different, made the guys believe. Rev did that in his first few years, but I feel like they just couldn't make that final push to compete for championships and everything slid back to where we started from.

What I'm saying is we need someone who believes in this team. Someone who sees the dominance of Gonzaga, and the challenges that Saint Mary's and BYU provide, and sees a path through them. Someone who has a distinct style and can recruit to fit that style. There has been talk of "Moneyball" strategy and while that doesn't exactly translate to college basketball because the pool of players is so large, where it does work is when the coach has a specific basketball identity. Look at the Havoc style that Shaka Smart implores, or Bob Higgins press defense, or John Beilein's stretch the floor method. Even Randy Bennett's teams have an identity and seem to do pretty well. Porter may be the biggest name out there, but is he the right name, that is the question. He may be and I hope the athletic department does its due diligence when considering possible candidates. Based on recent hires in the Volleyball, Baseball, and men's soccer programs I do trust in their process.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:31 pm

DTLegend wrote:No offense to anyone but we are way, way, way off track. No matter what the Porter boy's choose to do if their father becomes the head coach at Portland is somewhat irreverent.

Off track? Probably. Ahead of ourselves? Likely.

But irrelevant? I've only seen one name linked to this job and that's Terry Porter, who happens to have a son playing in the conference. I think it's perfectly relevant to understand the transfer rules as it relates to this situation, should it arise. Maybe Porter won't be the guy, maybe Franklin would have no interest in transferring regardless. But history would suggest there's a strong possibility that Franklin would at least consider a transfer if his dad becomes HC.

pilotram wrote:How'd that work out for Coach's Son, anyways? He gets PT, but UNM is slipping.

Not anymore, Cullen Neal recently announced he's transferring away from Noodles and UNM.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:58 pm

But irrelevant? I've only seen one name linked to this job and that's Terry Porter, who happens to have a son playing in the conference. I think it's perfectly relevant to understand the transfer rules as it relates to this situation, should it arise. Maybe Porter won't be the guy, maybe Franklin would have no interest in transferring regardless. But history would suggest there's a strong possibility that Franklin would at least consider a transfer if his dad becomes HC.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I understand that its a possibility that Franklin join the Pilots IF Terry is chosen as the next Portland coach, but my thought is that he doesn't make Terry more intriguing as a coach and talking about the transfer rules are irrelevant to this conversation about the next leader of our program.

More relevant for next year in particular, is the fact that it sounds like Alec will remain at Portland. When a coach moves on for what ever reason, transfers are pretty common so the thought of Alec transferring wasn't too crazy, but in the Beacon article about Reveno's dismissal there was a quote from Alec about how he committed to a program, not a coach, which is encouraging. Not definite for sure but eases my mind a bit.

Co-Captain Alec Wintering said that he values loyalty and is grateful for the chance that Reveno gave him.

“It was an honor to play for coach Reveno and his staff,” Alec Wintering said. “They recruited and gave me an opportunity to play Division I basketball. With that said, I understand it’s a business and I committed to the University of Portland, not just to the head coach.”

Wintering said that the next steps for the program will be finding a coach that can help the team improve on a daily basis that will lead them to a “winning tradition (that gets) fans involved and excited.”

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:15 pm

DTLegend wrote:More relevant for next year in particular, is the fact that it sounds like Alec will remain at Portland. When a coach moves on for what ever reason, transfers are pretty common so the thought of Alec transferring wasn't too crazy, but in the Beacon article about Reveno's dismissal there was a quote from Alec about how he committed to a program, not a coach, which is encouraging. Not definite for sure but eases my mind a bit.
Agree. After the Madness we'll probably start updating the annual thread on transfers.  Wonder how many if any Pilots we'll see on it this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:37 am

Whether Terry Porter is actually a candidate to become the Pilot’s coach, I do not know. But, should he be interested in the job, he has gained the endorsement of Dwight Jaynes:

http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/best-candidate-job-terry-port

I am not sure we have the money/resources to hire Porter.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:57 pm

wrv wrote:Whether Terry Porter is actually a candidate to become the Pilot’s coach, I do not know. But, should he be interested in the job, he has gained the endorsement of Dwight Jaynes:

http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/best-candidate-job-terry-port

I am not sure we have the money/resources to hire Porter.

I think Dwight was on Rick Adelman's bandwagon the last time the job was open. Was he in the Larry Steel camp?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Who knows about Steele, but backing Adelman was justified. He turned out to be able to coach a little and had he not spurned the U he might have lifted the program from the doldrums into which it drifted.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:49 pm

Received an email today from an impeccable source telling me that, "Terry Porter is very interested...."

The Pilots have had two former Blazers as head coaches in the past....is the third time expected to be a charm, or is there someone else out there who might be a better fit?

I have confidence the AD, the search committee, and ultimately the regents and UP president will make the best choice for the university....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:21 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Received an email today from an impeccable source telling me that, "Terry Porter is very interested...."

My post a few days ago wasn't impeccable enough for you!?

I am fully on the Terry Porter band wagon and my only question is what's taking so long!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum