Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ PU Thursday @ 8 and @ LMU Saturday @ 3

+6
ExpatPilot
Dean Murdoch
dholcombe
bullwinkle
blacksheep
DoubleDipper
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pilots @ PU Thursday @ 8 and @ LMU Saturday @ 3 - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots @ PU Thursday @ 8 and @ LMU Saturday @ 3

Post by Rochin54 Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:07 pm

blacksheep wrote:
Rochin54 wrote:Huh.  I evidently should have paid closer attention to the start time.  Got my gin and tonic ready to go here 8 minutes before the standard 7pm tip.  Pretty optimistic for the win.

I mean, I'm glad we won, but now I have to figure out what i'm going to watch with this G&T.  D'oh!!  

Gin and tonic? How old are you?

Maybe you can find some Perry Mason reruns to watch.

Not that old. I'm more of a Matlock kind of guy. Although, I will say this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Just found that the original A-Team is on Netflix watch instantly. Booyah!!!!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ PU Thursday @ 8 and @ LMU Saturday @ 3 - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots @ PU Thursday @ 8 and @ LMU Saturday @ 3

Post by Guest Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:28 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Hmm, I guess I should have considered the Jason's as a simulcast with the video feed we were watching.....that WCC feed was accompanied by the LMU radio broadcast....not the normal sports nerd/jock tandem.

What, you didn't like the "trey bien!" call every time LMU made a 3P?

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:42 pm

up7587 wrote:What, you didn't like the "trey bien!" call every time LMU made a 3P?

LMU has a history of "interesting" audio personalities... remember the twin brothers for soccer? Rolling Eyes The "tres bien" is one of the oddest things I have heard on a broadcast like that...

Great to see the Pilots hit shots from all over the floor... let's hope they continue to fall and that *this* Marshall keeps showing up. Being 4-2 against the top 4 after Thursday would not be bad!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:45 pm

up7587 wrote:What, you didn't like the "trey bien!" call every time LMU made a 3P?
Actually I wasn't that bothered by "trey bien," unlike the absurd calls of "from St. Johns, Portsmouth, the Willamette, etc." we hear from the PA guy at the Chiles Center.   Evil or Very Mad

I found it a great relief when we had a different PA guy at last Thursday's game against USF.

Apologies, I digress to the negative at a time when I shouldn't.......this has been a very positive couple of days for Pilots' fans...... cheers
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:56 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:And we are 100% when we are up by 16 with five minutes left.
I can confirm that this is correct. We've found the secret recipe for guaranteed wins!

You think I make this stuff up?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:37 pm

Pilots are currently in 6th place for conference tournament seeding purposes. Right now we are big UOP fans except when they play UP; 4 of their last 6 games are against teams around the Pilots in the standings. 6th is way better than 7th or lower.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:47 pm

Any chance 7th will get a bye in Las Vegas with UOP out of the mix, and there will be only one play-game?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:55 pm

I think the conference confirmed that not too long ago. 8/9 play in, top 7 to quarterfinals.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:12 pm

Yeah, the 7 seed gets a bye to avoid a Friday play-in game.  But my point was that the 7 and 8/9 seeds play the 1 and 2 seeds in the Saturday games; that's likely GU and SMC.  The 6 seed plays the 3 seed, could be BYU, Pepperdine, USF, whoever.  But we know the Pilots can beat those teams on occasion (maybe not USF).  I'd like a chance to try rather than play one of the top two in the first game.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:21 pm

OK, good point....you were being uncharacteristically optimistic that the Pilots would make it to the quarterfinals,  I was once again  only thinking as far as avoiding the play-in. Evil or Very Mad

Agreed, the Pilots need avoid the top two!!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:38 am

From the Pepperdine student newspaper, "Graphic" (edited for brevity):
 But those calls were terrible! Nothing went Pepperdine’s way! Did Gonzaga and Portland bribe the refs? Because most of those calls were kinda sketchy.

For the sake of playing devil’s advocate, one — and only one — controversial no-call could have given Pepperdine a 10-game home winning streak.

In the closing seconds of the Portland game, junior forward Lamond Murray Jr. spotted up for a game-tying corner 3. Portland guard D’Marquis Tyson flew out of nowhere to contest Murray’s shot like an undersized cornerback breaking up a pass in football. The referees saw no fault in Tyson’s body check — which, to keep the football simile going, would’ve probably been flagged for pass interference — and Portland escaped Firestone with a win.

Murray would’ve had to make all three free throws just to send the game into overtime. Considering Murray has shot 80 percent from the free-throw line in conference games (according to sports-reference.com), maybe, just maybe, I’d be convinced he would have tied the game if he had the opportunity to do so.  
1. Hmm, but no mention of the obvious traveling call that was missed just prior to Murray's shot.  
2. I don't think I even need to comment on the Malibu writer's inability to tell one Pilot defender from another, but it was Marshall not Tyson, for god's sake!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 am

Haha, there were similar comments on their fan forum. They got 37 FT attempts, for goodness sake. Plus, Bryce was blatantly held with no call on the SLOB turnover that gave them the last shot attempt to begin with.

Murray should have been yellow carded for flopping. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:40 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
I don't think I even need to comment on the Malibu writer's inability to tell one Pilot defender from another, but it was Marshall not Tyson, for god's sake!!

Never let facts get in the way of a good story.

I couldn't believe Mashall risked fouling in that situation, but it looked like a clean block through my purple lenses.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:46 pm

blacksheep wrote:I couldn't believe Mashall risked fouling in that situation, but it looked like a clean block through my purple lenses.
I COULD (but wish I couldn't) believe that the Pilots nearly gave away the game with yet another botched inbounds play. If Reveno is retained, it should be on the condition that he spends the summer attending special coaching seminars on inbounds plays.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2