Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots at Pacific, Thursday 7PM

+4
Dean Murdoch
PilotNut
NoPoNeighbor
blacksheep
8 posters

Go down

Pilots at Pacific, Thursday 7PM Empty Pilots at Pacific, Thursday 7PM

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:57 am

Looks like theW.tv is the only video for this game. Radio on 910 AM.

Despite the turmoil in their program, the Tigers have won 3 conference games already: @SCU, USD, and @LMU. Since the Pilots have only beaten one of those teams, we have to consider UOP to be a dangerous opponent. Hopefully, unlike the PN faithful, the team has moved on from the BYU victory, and focused on how to stay consistent on offense, plus get better on defense. So far, the Pilots win when they outscore someone in a no-D game. When the Pilots hit a lull and the other team doesn't (see @USF) then they lose.

UOP has no one stand-out player, they have ten players averaging 14+ minutes per game and 5 or more pointe per game. Their leading scorer Alec Kobre is a 6'2" guard who has missed 6 games this season, which may be why so many others have minutes and points. He shoots 46% from 3P. But they have had a different leading scorer each of their last 4 conference games, so no way to predict where their points will come from.

They average 72 ppg vs. UP's 79 ppg. Shooting percentages are similar. Rebounds ppg game are the same. Tigers have a couple more turnovers per game, and that may need to be the extra scoring chances that allow UP to out-score UOP.

I see this as two evenly matched teams. Interestingly, UOP has not had a home conference game yet with the students in school. They had 2,200 at a Saturday night game against a cupcake last weekend, but I don't know how strong their home court advantage will be.

Unlike DD, I don't know how to read the lines, but I think the Tigers are favored by 2-1/2.

Back to top Go down

Pilots at Pacific, Thursday 7PM Empty Re: Pilots at Pacific, Thursday 7PM

Post by blacksheep Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:06 am

up7587 wrote:  So far, the Pilots win when they outscore someone.

That's the kind of analysis you can't get just anywhere. cheers

This is a win we need to keep us from playing on the opening day of the tournament.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:31 am

I knew that when I wrote it, but didn't know how to express it. I meant they aren't winning by stopping anyone.

Last edited by up7587 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:04 am

The Pilots have yet to win a WCC game in Stockton (0-2). After missing out on two winnable road games at USF and SCU, and with a likely loss coming up on Saturday at Saint Mary's, Thursday is basically a must-win if the Pilots are going to have any chance of a winning record and top-half conference finish.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:21 am

up7587 wrote:I know that when I wrote it, but didn't know how to express it. I meant they aren't winning by stopping anyone.

I know what you meant, but as the blacksheep, my role here is to provide comic relief by taking posts out of context. We all know I have nothing meaningful to post. Twisted Evil
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:13 pm

blacksheep wrote:We all know I have nothing meaningful to post.

Is that so?  lol!

Maybe that should be the PN tag line for the next generation T-shirt?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:27 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:The Pilots have yet to win a WCC game in Stockton (0-2). After missing out on two winnable road games at USF and SCU, and with a likely loss coming up on Saturday at Saint Mary's, Thursday is basically a must-win if the Pilots are going to have any chance of a winning record and top-half conference finish.

Well, USD was a "gotta win it", and BYU was a likely loss, so I've given up on predicting results. I'll just watch the games, and enjoy the good ones, try to forget the bad ones, and appreciate the efforts of players and coaches.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:00 pm

blacksheep wrote:This is a win we need to keep us from playing on the opening day of the tournament.

Speaking of the WCC tournament, has there been an announcement on the format now that Pacific is out of it?

I'm sure they'll just seed everyone 1 through 9 and just omit Pacific and have an 8/9 play-in game, but has there been confirmation of that?

Although the last time there were only 9 teams in the tournament, they went with the format that had the 1/2 seeds going directly to the SF and the 3/4 seeds directly to the QF.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Since I haven't paid close attention to UOP, I did not know or remember that the players who missed games where the ones involved in the academic irregularities investigations there. I guess they are all back on the court now. If you have interest, there are some amazing posts about the infighting going on at UOP on their board.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:48 pm

up7587 wrote:Since I haven't paid close attention to UOP, I did not know or remember that the players who missed games where the ones involved in the academic irregularities investigations there. I guess they are all back on the court now. If you have interest, there are some amazing posts about the infighting going on at UOP on their board.

A lot of their speculation Is silly. I stopped paying attention when one guy said Verlin would be banned for life.

This makes no sense. Joe Paterno wasn't banned for life. Hell, even Sandusky wasn't. If he serves out his 60 year sentence he could probably coach again.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:11 pm

Tough start for Taylor: 3 TO's in 4 minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:
Speaking of the WCC tournament, has there been an announcement on the format now that Pacific is out of it?

They won't do it, but I'd like to see an 8 team tournament where the bottom 2 teams don't play at all. Give some additional incentive to stay out of the cellar.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:25 pm

dholcombe wrote:
Terry Cahill wrote:

They won't do it, but I'd like to see an 8 team tournament where the bottom 2 teams don't play at all. Give some additional incentive to stay out of the cellar.

Not good marketing to keep 20% of the schools home.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:33 pm

On the pre-game, Jason Brough said they'd likely give the #7 seed a bye.

Regarding the UOP game, after Pressley got a rebound in traffic and fumbled it for a Pacific lay-up, then the threw the ball out of bounds on the next possession, I turned it off. Hope they come back.

Back to top Go down

Post by 2002Pilot Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 pm

The difference between this game and BYU was energy.  The energy level in this game was apathetic.  There was no sense of urgency from anybody.  The Pilots were a step slow and it showed in Pacific out-shooting the Pilots 25-11 at the free throw line.

The only reason this game was even close was Tyson making three's.  

13-44 for our main scorers not counting Tyson.  Somehow Todd has become lost on the offensive end.  2 points tonight on only 2 shots.  
This team plays to the level of its competition.  Frustrating....

2002Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:06 am

I listened to most of the game on the radio. I want to first laud Jason Brough and our play by play guy Jason _______(sorry, memory lapse) for doing an excellent job. On the radio you cannot gauge energy, but our announcers weren't attributing the lack of success to a lack of energy. Knowing how important the game was, I am skeptical that this crew did not give great effort in attempting to win. We may not have won but we were in the game and made many runs to catch Pacific, which is a different team now that their full team is restored. This is a tough conference. We have a hard time getting wins, particularly on the road.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:20 am

In the other conference games last night:
Gaels trailed GU by 8 at the half, won by 3, at home;
BYU trailed LMU by 10 at half, won by 11, on the road;
Dons trailed SCU by 3 at the half, won by 13, on the road;
while Pilots trailed by 4 at the half, lost by 9, on the road.

There was a first half 4 minute scoreless stretch where UOP scored 10 straight. There was a second half 3 minute scoreless stretch where UOP scored 9 straight. Struggling from behind to catch up after both of those periods.  Was only a 3 point game with 1 minute to go, but Pilots missed four shots and Tigers made 6 of 8 FTs to close the game.

Last edited by up7587 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:54 pm

up7587 wrote:There was a first half 4 minute scoreless stretch where UPO scored 10 straight. There was a second half 3 minute scoreless stretch where UOP scored 9 straight. Struggling from behind to catch up after both of those periods.  Was only a 3 point game with 1 minute to go, but Pilots missed four shots and Tigers made 6 of 8 FTs to close the game.
Deja vu.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down