Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 Recruiting

+11
JimmAlacki
dholcombe
PilotNut
wrv
NoPoNeighbor
StudentPilot
ExpatPilot
Sound Voltex
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
DoubleDipper
15 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

2019 Recruiting - Page 7 Empty Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:55 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Although his name was not mentioned (coaches are very tight-lipped about recruit's names), it would seem from our short conversation that Blake "Bo" Furcron is NOT academically eligible to enroll at UP.
We can now "officially" cross Furcron off the list, as he is headed to Florida International.

I don't know all the ins and outs of academic requirements, but I'm told they are generally less stringent at public schools compared to most private schools such as UP.

Hey, Furcron going to FIU just means a player who was previously considering FIU might consider UP instead.

Just trying to stay positive... Smile
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11214
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:51 am

DD wrote:I don't know all the ins and outs of academic requirements, but I'm told they are generally less stringent at public schools compared to most private schools such as UP.

Well, we know from recent criminal indictments that athletic admissions at Stanford, Yale, USC, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Northwestern, USD, and Harvard are for sale.

It’s pretty safe to say that athletes at private schools are subject to somewhat relaxed admissions criteria, just as they are at public schools. Looking at the indictments, there are more private than public schools on the list.

That indicates to me that it may well be an easier path to admissions than at public institutions.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:It’s pretty safe to say that athletes at private schools are subject to somewhat relaxed admissions criteria, just as they are at public schools. Looking at the indictments, there are more private than public schools on the list.
True... Evil or Very Mad

The case I was referring to was getting a previous "non-qualifier," Blake Furcron, eligible for a D1 school coming out of JUCO.  Many private schools, including UP, require courses that some high school students didn't take or pass in high school, and junior colleges just don't always offer...like theology and philosophy.

Public schools appear less stringent about those and similar requirements...

(The whole "under the table" thing for non-athletes has apparently been going on for a long time, but we've generally only known about the "over the table" stuff...which, with a wink and nod, has always been an accepted business practice when new building goes up on campus.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:01 pm

3-Star Chase Adams wrote:Thanks to everyone who stayed down with me through to process but it don’t stop here... Now let’s go turn the West Coast up!!
2019 Recruiting - Page 7 Chase12
Uniform #10 is all yours now, Chase...I'm confident you'll bring excitement to the Bluff!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I think Adams could bring great excitement and skill to the Bluff, but I'm just not sure how he would "fit" culturally at UP after his Chicago upbringing.  He is spending a prep year in Missouri, which could ease his transition to Portland...
This video gives us a bit of insight into Chase Adams living in Chicago, his faith, losing his big brother, and playing basketball...

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1118279294919348224/video/1
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:31 pm

Kudos to the staff for bringing in a point guard. Let's hope he helps Pilot fortunes next year. The offense could use a point to set up whatever. . .lead breaks. .

Our last short point or two workrd out alright,

Welcome Chase.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:23 am

I like it. Welcome, Chase!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:51 pm

WHOA. The Pilots have a grad transfer!

@GregLevinsky wrote:Isaiah White (@_isaiah_white) tells me he has committed to University of Portland as a grad transfer. 6-foot-5 guard averaged 13.5 PPG as a redshirt junior for UMaine in 2018-19. Also went to UNC Asheville & Harford Community College. @VerbalCommits

https://goblackbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4351

13.5 PPG, 3.6 RPG, led Maine in blocks and steals last year. Hard not to like this pickup at first glance!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:21 pm

Good stuff.

Welcome Isaiah.

Potential for immediate impact. Too bad only one year.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Listed as a guard, Isaiah White is better suited as a small forward in the UP lineup and should jump right in as starter replacing Josh and Franklin who have moved on.

Reportedly recruited by several schools in recent weeks, including St. John's and San Diego, he said he "wanted to go somewhere that would make him happy," and he had to "cancel the noise and follow his heart."

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:53 pm

2019 Recruiting - Page 7 Isaian10

2019 Recruiting - Page 7 Isiah_10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:10 pm

https://twitter.com/coachbobcantu/status/1123046300893597697

Congrats to @cb_buchanan15 on signing a good player for Portland as interim Asst Coach! Oh and he did it as a volunteer. Worked his tail off for over 2 years for free! More props to Chris!! #payhim #removeinterimtag

@cb_buchanan15 = https://portlandpilots.com/coaches.aspx?rc=800
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:22 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:https://twitter.com/coachbobcantu/status/1123046300893597697

Congrats to @cb_buchanan15 on signing a good player for Portland as interim Asst Coach! Oh and he did it as a volunteer. Worked his tail off for over 2 years for free! More props to Chris!! #payhim #removeinterimtag

@cb_buchanan15 = https://portlandpilots.com/coaches.aspx?rc=800
I've heard Assistant Director of Basketball Operations Chris Buchanan described as a "hustler" and "hungry," both in a positive sense.

I believe he was instrumental in the recruitment of Isaiah White from U. Maine.

Last I heard, he was living in the AD's administrative assistant's basement... Shocked

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:38 pm

DD wrote:Last I heard, he was living in the AD's administrative assistant's basement... :Shock:

So... the room’s finally freed up?

DIBs !!

I’m assuming he didn’t do any recruiting as a CBO.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
DD wrote:Last I heard, he was living in the AD's administrative assistant's basement... :Shock:

So... the room’s finally freed up?

DIBs !!

Hey, I got somebody living in my basement. It's not so bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:52 pm

My  wife thinks I live in mine...

Not much of a cultural change. I require a 50A circuit for the welder.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:01 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:My  wife thinks I live in mine...

Not much of a cultural change. I require a 50A circuit for the welder.

30A is plenty adequate for brewing/distilling needs Cheers!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:27 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I've heard Assistant Director of Basketball Operations Chris Buchanan described as a "hustler" and "hungry," both in a positive sense.

Maybe he can hustle up the Pilots a JUCO guard that shoots about 55% from three!

PG - Walker, Adams, McCaskill
SG - Porter
SF - White, Fahrensohn
PF - Tryon, Diabate, Phillips
C - Hogland, Akwuba, Collinsworth

Here's how it looks (ish) after the last couple of days. Certainly need another guard...I wonder if Isaac Bonton is on the radar at all? From Portland, committed to the Pilots at one point in HS, and is coming off of a great season for Casper College.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:27 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:...I wonder if Isaac Bonton is on the radar at all? From Portland, committed to the Pilots at one point in HS, and is coming off of a great season for Casper College.
No, Isaac Bonton is not on UP's radar!

A terrific shooter, Portland native Bonton was spurned by UP when TP came in, and then played less than a full season at Montana St. before leaving for Casper College.

Reportedly, UP did reach out to him in the last couple of months but Bonton is either not interested in coming to UP, or UP decided it was still not interested in Bonton.

What is interesting is that such a talented shooter has ZERO known D1 offers...which leads one to speculate there is a story behind the story somewhere.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Maybe he can hustle up the Pilots a JUCO guard that shoots about 55% from three!

PG - Walker, Adams, McCaskill
SG - Porter
SF - White, Fahrensohn
PF - Tryon, Diabate, Phillips
C - Hogland, Akwuba, Collinsworth
McCaskill is not considered a PG by UP, but probably a SG who has not yet developed into a good shooter, but he is a VERY athletic slasher and defender.

I think if we were to ask the coaches where McCaskill fits in the lineup, they would scratch and tell us they still have to figure that out.

As mentioned before, on the court Donyae is similar in many ways to Rashad Jackson...a terrific athlete looking for a place in the lineup.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 01, 2019 9:48 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
@VerbalCommits wrote:Idaho G Cameron Tyson (FR) is leaving the program. (HT @EvanDaniels)

Little brother of D'Marques, I'm pretty sure. Shot the absolute crap out of the ball for Idaho this year as a freshman. He'd have to sit one year but would then play three, and I'd have to think he'll at least get some looks from P12 schools with the numbers he put up this year.

If not...there's a gaping hole on the Pilots depth chart at SG that he'd certainly slot into nicely. Might be a pipe dream at this point after how good of a year he had, though.
Tyson committed to Houston a week ago.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 02, 2019 7:30 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Dean Murdoch wrote:...I wonder if Isaac Bonton is on the radar at all? From Portland, committed to the Pilots at one point in HS, and is coming off of a great season for Casper College.
No, Isaac Bonton is not on UP's radar!

A terrific shooter, Portland native Bonton was spurned by UP when TP came in, and then played less than a full season at Montana St. before leaving for Casper College.

Reportedly, UP did reach out to him in the last couple of months but Bonton is either not interested in coming to UP, or UP decided it was still not interested in Bonton.

What is interesting is that such a talented shooter has ZERO known D1 offers...which leads one to speculate there is a story behind the story somewhere.

@TheoLawson_SR wrote:Point guard Isaac Bonton commits to #WSU. He played at Casper College after a short stint at Montana State. By my count, that’s three players with prior Division I experience joining Kyle Smith. Bonton (MSU), Daron Henson (Utah State) and Deion James (Colorado State).

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon May 06, 2019 2:26 pm

From the UP website
PORTLAND, Ore. – University of Maine graduate transfer Isiaiah White (Ellicott City, Md.) has signed a financial aid agreement with the University of Portland and will join the Pilots for the 2019-20 season, head coach Terry Porter announced on Monday. White will enroll in the Pamplin School of Business to pursue his M.B.A. at Portland.

I saw it’s a financial agreement, not a letter of intent.

Seems like it’s the wave of the future.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I saw it’s a financial agreement, not a letter of intent.

Once a student-athlete has signed a NLI with a school, like Shaver did at UCSB or White did at UNC Ashville, they cannot sign another NLI, but instead both the school and student sign a binding financial agreement or "grant in aid."

The only student-athletes who can sign a NLI are high school or JUCO kids who have never signed a NLI with another school.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon May 06, 2019 6:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:I saw it’s a financial agreement, not a letter of intent.

Once a student-athlete has signed a NLI with a school, like Shaver did at UCSB or White did at UNC Ashville, they cannot sign another NLI, but instead both the school and student sign a binding financial agreement or "grant in aid."

The only student-athletes who can sign a NLI are high school or JUCO kids who have never signed a NLI with another school.

Hmm... if that’s the case, then the ncaa is intentionally deceiving prospective student athletes about the terms of the NLI.

Nationalletter.org FAQ states:

NLI policy states a prospective student-athlete is only permitted to sign one valid NLI in an academic year. Therefore, if you sign an NLI during the early period and get a complete release by the institution or one of the NLI committees before the spring signing period ends, you are not permitted to sign a second NLI in the spring. You must wait until the next academic year to sign another NLI if you have not enrolled already at a four-year institution..

Note that restriction on signing with another school is for ONE YEAR, even if you are not granted an unconditional release from the first school.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next