Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Santa Clara

+4
DoubleDipper
Susie Que
Harry Redknapp
Corrado Kid
8 posters

Go down

Santa Clara Empty Santa Clara

Post by Corrado Kid Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:06 pm

This was as frustrating to sit through as the loss to San Diego, if that seems possible.

Corrado Kid
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-06-22

Back to top Go down

Santa Clara Empty Except

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:31 pm

That Santa Clara is a better team than San Diego. Rated in top 20. Pilots played very well in first half. Best I've seen this season. Moved the ball quickly. Lots of one touch. Good running off the ball. And people looking for the pass to runners. Couldn't quite find the final ball/touch. Did not deserve to be behind.

Second half was more blah. Looked like SC was happy to hold on to 1-0. Jerry Smith is possibly my least favorite coach. Cynical approach to the game. Players always stealing yards on kicks and throws. Ref today was hip to that and put a stop to it. Players waste time. Are on the dirty side of competitive. Hate to lose to them.

Thought Pilots showed heart and effort today.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Santa Clara Empty Re: Santa Clara

Post by Susie Que Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:45 pm

Hard to imagine the SCU team I saw today going far in the tournament, no matter where they're ranked. The fact the Pilots lost to them is very disappointing.

Susie Que
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:20 pm

Corrado Kid wrote:This was as frustrating to sit through as the loss to San Diego, if that seems possible.
Based on the huge number of empty seats for this "rival game," many apparently anticipated as much.

Personally, I was impressed by the Pilots passing and movement of the ball, but agree with many that the Pilots need a deeper bench that would allow for injuries and 2nd half tired legs.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Agree with Harry and Double.

It's remarkable how far this team has come since the start of season.
We were winning throw ins, on both O and D, and winning 50/50 balls.

A 2005 player standing on the rail by the rich folks tent got a ball in the face and went down hard. Was that Cox? Is she ok? Saw her laughing later.

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:07 am

I, too, agree with 'arry...especially about not deserving to be behind. The intensity in the first half was impressive...Ellie, Parkes, and Noelle in particular...and it showed an exhaustion in the second half when SC began playing keep away...like so many other teams have done. The long passes to no one in particular causes the Pilots to run a lot. The SC goal was like many I've seen this season with Lusby alone to defend at the net...not ALL defenders need to play man-to-man at the net. As usual, ALL of this rhetoric is IMHO. Love this team...AND the bench.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:01 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Corrado Kid wrote:This was as frustrating to sit through as the loss to San Diego, if that seems possible.
Based on the huge number of empty seats for this "rivalry game," many apparently anticipated as much.
Sunday:
Santa Clara -f595310
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:26 am

Emptiness in student section is likely because it's fall break. But that doesn't explain the paltry attendance in the rest of the stadium. This team hasn't captured the imagination of a broader audience. And I wonder if the Thorns now take some people away because they can get their women's soccer there.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:51 am

Ticket sales for the UP team is handled by the Thorns organization for the last couple years. There has been a fall-off each year they have managed sales.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:20 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the casual women's soccer fan or parent of a young female soccer player is more interested in the Thorns now over the Pilots regardless of the price or ticket sales management. Before the Thorns, the best quality women's soccer was UP and we were fielding good teams. The Thorns disrupted our little market with a better quality product. Better, more recognizable players are on the field for the Thorns (i.e. US national team players). It doesn't hurt that there is that tie in with the Timbers (i.e. season ticket holder benefits). They play in the summer when kids are out of school. Meanwhile, UP's "product" has failed to keep up and our teams have not performed to our expectations. The attendance doesn't surprise me despite the efforts that I know UP marketing makes. If I were a casual soccer fan (non-UP alumnus) then I would take my money elsewhere too.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:03 pm

I think tickets start at $10.00 now (adult).
How long ago were they $5.00?
One year?

I'm not alum, and I go to Pilot's games.
Not a fan of civic stadium.

It must have been fall break for every game this season. There was only a good student turn out to one game. The Santa Clara turn out was better than most.

The drum squad should be embarrassed. When they are at games, like at the SC game, they are not paying attention to play. They are not even beating the drums for corner kicks.

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down