Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 Recruiting

+14
The Wingman
blacksheep
pilotdad1
Sound Voltex
wrv
Stonehouse
ExpatPilot
PilotNut
StudentPilot
NoPoNeighbor
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

2018 Recruiting - Page 8 Empty Re: 2018 Recruiting

Post by PilotNut Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:58 am

It would be interesting, that is for sure. How many D-I programs have had 2 sets of brothers or sisters on them at the same time?!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:17 pm

PilotNut wrote:It would be interesting, that is for sure.  How many D-I programs have had 2 sets of brothers or sisters on them at the same time?!

Best I can think of a team that ever had two sets of brothers play for them - let alone at the same time - is Stanford with the Collins twins and the Lopez twins, though they never played together. The Collins twins were gone by 2001, and the Lopez twins didn't start til 2006.

Missouri had the Howard brothers this year... the Harrison twins at Kentucky... the O'Bannons at UCLA and the Morris twins at Kansas. And who could forget Ronell and Donell Taylor from UAB and their March Madness run? All the Plumlees at Duke played with a brother at some point too.

But most importantly... the SANDRIN BROTHERS!!! Smile

I'm sure I'm forgetting a million examples, but I definitely can't think of two sets of brothers on the same team at the same time.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am

Stonehouse wrote:
PilotNut wrote:It would be interesting, that is for sure.  How many D-I programs have had 2 sets of brothers or sisters on them at the same time?!
But most importantly... the SANDRIN BROTHERS!!!  Smile
Eric and Daniel….a couple of hyper-active kids who always seemed in trouble for something and were often consigned to the bench for long periods which resulted in students displaying signs reading, “Free the Koreans.”

I was surprised to see both of them three years ago while they were playing at US Army Camp Humphreys in South Korea. They had both just signed two-year contracts, at a 50% pay cut to $180,000 per year, just so they could play on the same team together for the first time since college.  

Americans by birth, they told me they both became Korean citizens, adopted Korean names (but they also use their American names) and began playing professional basketball after leaving UP and Seattle Pacific.  Daniel (Lee Dong-Jun) played in Europe and then Korea, and Eric (Lee Seung-Jun) played in Brazil, Europe, and the US before heading to Asia. Eric told me he actually spent a season with the Harlem Globetrotters using the name, “Shanghai,” but never really enjoyed all the travel and "playfulness" of Globetrotter basketball.

It was surprising to see them all grown up physically, but they were still the hyper-active kids I remember from almost 20 years ago now. I think both are now “retired,” living in Seoul, and enjoying life as semi-celebrities.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:08 am

@BAMAMIXTAPES wrote:University of Portland has offered 2018 Theo Akwuba 6’10 C | Brewbaker Tech (AL)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:12 am

Stoney wrote:I'm sure I'm forgetting a million examples
More brothers who play(ed) together in D1

The Martin twins currently at Nevada.

Horace and Harvey grant twins at Clemson.

The Graham twins at UCF and Oklahoma state.perhaps the only brothers to play at two D1 schools together.

Nick and Snapper Jones at Oregon.

Audie and Sylvester Norris at Jackson state.

Dick and Tom VanArsdale at IU.

And some real oldies, Ed and George Mikan at DePaul

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:25 am

up7587 wrote:Another discouraging result.  pale
Yeah, I think what's really disappointing is losing four of the five recruits the staff had put a lot of time and effort into. Sure, that's often the way it is with recruiting, but in those four cases each recruit was ultimately scooped-up by apparently “charismatic” coaches with whom they'd spent a relatively small amount of time.  But as evidenced by UP’s offering to Theo Akwuba last evening, there are still a number of uncommitted/unsigned young ballers out there.

Most coaches like to complete their rosters in the first couple of days of the signing period, but that might work to UP’s benefit this year because there are a number of young players who verbally committed to schools, but did not sign because of coaching changes or because they waited too long to make a decision.

Not sure where all the unsigned/uncommitted high school players will be showcasing their talents over the next few weekends, but I think we can count on the Pilot coaches hitting the road in search of the next Tahirou Diabate or Ryan Nicholas.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 am

Bingo!

Quinnipiac has the Robinson and Donohue brothers on their roster.

The coach is Baker Dunleavy, Mike’s son, who is currently at Tulane.

There is another father son duo coaching in D1.

Any guesses?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:05 am

Randy Bennett and Tony Bennett of UVA? Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:01 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
@BAMAMIXTAPES wrote:University of Portland has offered 2018 Theo Akwuba 6’10 C | Brewbaker Tech (AL)

First reported D1 offer for Akwuba.

According to Twitter he once had 22 blocks in a single game. You'd think after 15 or so the other team would just settle for long jumpers and threes, but hey. Good for him.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:21 pm

up7587 wrote:Randy Bennett and Tony Bennett of UVA?  Razz

Next thing you know you’ll be counting BJ as part of the current Porter clan.

I was thinking of Tubby ( High Point) and Guffrie Smith (Loyola MD).

The dad got his gig by donating a cool million to his alma mater for a new arena.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:First reported D1 offer for Akwuba.

According to Twitter he once had 22 blocks in a single game. You'd think after 15 or so the other team would just settle for long jumpers and threes, but hey. Good for him.
It is the first reported offer, but apparently others have been made and Akwuba has had visits from school like Iowa State and Western Kentucky.

As raw and unpolished as Akwuba may be (from his mixtape), IMO he still ranks above the two recruits who visited UP together, but went elsewhere, McRae and Ohia Obioha.

Having played basketball for just a total of two years, and never having had much coaching or physical conditioning, the kid is an obvious candidate to redshirt, but he also has the potential to be a high major player once he develops.

He's also obviously a leaper with all those blocked shots, I guess he was second in the nation with 9.5 per game, and he can use both hands under the basket, but it's hard to say if he has a mid-range shot.  Probably shouldn't always use Phil as a measuring stick, but Theo certainly has a better stroke.... Rolling Eyes

GPA is 3.7 at a magnet school.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:If they don’t get some bigs, time with the family won’t be an issue.

I'm thinking someone along the height, and skill set of Robin Smuelders or Sikma....or a huge 6'10- 7 footer grad transfer

The Pilots already have  enough 6'6" and below players ..... The Pilots need somebody who can help Diabate in the lane immediately. (Although I have great hope for Hugh Hogland for the future).

It is getting somewhat late in the season, and with the academic standards that UP has.....I think it will be difficult to get a stout,large, and skilled player to share time with Hugh & Tryon, and give D a rest... here is to hoping the glass of water is half full.

Go Pilots, Go Big!!!!

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ,,,)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:59 am

MesaPilot1 wrote:I'm thinking someone along the height, and skill set of Robin Smuelders or Sikma....or a huge 6'10- 7 footer grad transfer

The Pilots already have  enough 6'6" and below players ..... The Pilots need somebody who can help Diabate in the lane immediately. (Although I have great hope for Hugh Hogland for the future).
Most all of us think of Robin and Luke (and a few others) as the size, shape and skill level we'd like to see come to UP again, and yet when they arrived on the Bluff Robin was listed at 6-9/200 and Luke at 6-8/215....not particularly big or skilled by today's standards, but eventually they grew some and became very skilled at their profession.

As freshmen, Diabate was listed at 6-9/210, and Hogland at 6-9/235, and though not yet skilled like Smeulders and Sikma, they are bouncier, more athletic, and better leapers.  The inbound Phillips is listed at 6-8/190, and Tryon is at 7-0/220. Phillips, a bit of an unknown offensively, is considered very bouncy and athletic, whereas Tryon is already skilled inside and outside, but apparently not as athletic.

So the Pilots are in a pretty good position for bigs, but as you say, Mesa, "The Pilots need somebody who can help Diabate in the lane..."  I think if you were to walk by the MBB offices over the next couple of weeks, you'll find the doors are locked and the place is empty (except when recruits are on campus) as everyone is on the road looking for even more help for Diabate.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:32 pm

DD thanks for the reply...I look forward to the newcomers and Hugh playing. The athletic skills of Hugh and Josh, and the outside shooting of Tryon will be great to watch...

Here's to hoping the Pilots can sign another big for the coming season Rolling Eyes ...

Go Pilots! Go Big!

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ,,,)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:26 am

Be on the lookout, StudentPilot...this guy has the potential to be really, really good! Don’t let him get away!
13WBKO..(edited) wrote: Theo Akwuba plans to take a visit to the University of Portland next week before deciding where to play next season.

He’s been off the radar right up until after the season, then a lot of people started paying attention to him.  Western Kentucky has been here talking to him since last summer.
It turns out the reason Theo has been “off the radar” is because he played very little as a skinny 6-3 kid his first two years in high school, and he’s never played AAU ball, but now that he’s 6-10 with a 7-3 wingspan, and was named to the Alabama Class 5A All-State first team, he’s getting a lot of interest.

#47 Western Kentucky has been looking at him for almost a year, but now #44 Arkansas, #109 UAB, #206 Southern Mississippi, #273 Morehead State, #298 Samford, #68 St. Bonaventure, #29 Texas A&M, #177 Troy, and #103 Iowa State are showing strong interest, and most are wanting him to visit.

Portland temperatures expected to be in near 80 degrees on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday....should be pretty nice days for a kid born in Nigeria but raised in Montgomery to visit #272 UP.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Spotted on Bob Cantu's twitter feed.

UMass, Holy Cross & Portland getting involved in unsigned 2018 6’9 Stephane Ingo’s recruitment after watching him at the #PittJamFest

https://twitter.com/NorthernKingsCA/status/987798487034048513
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/stephane-ingo
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 819
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:42 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Be on the lookout, StudentPilot...this guy has the potential to be really, really good! Don’t let him get away!
I accept the challenge!

This is "Dead Week" on campus, and because of the forecast 80 degree days, I think we'll have a pretty easy time spotting Theo during the traditional outdoor classes that happen when there is summer weather in April.

A 6-10 "new guy" on campus probably won't be too difficult to spot....
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:58 am

Sound Voltex wrote:Spotted on Bob Cantu's twitter feed.
UMass, Holy Cross & Portland getting involved in unsigned 2018 6’9 Stephane Ingo’s recruitment after watching him at the #PittJamFest
I think that retweet from @NorthernKings by Coach Cantu was like a "purpose pitch" in baseball....it was meant to get Theo Akwuba's attention before his visit to UP next week.  

I really like Stephane Ingo's bouncy athleticism and apparent ability to hit from the outside (everyone shoots 100% in these highlight reels), but IMO Akwuba's game has more upsides and potential.  If Akwuba doesn't sign, the coaches may go after Ingo, but I don't think UP wants more than one more underclassman "big" this signing period.

1. Tahirou Diabate - sophomore
2. Jacob Tryon - sophomore
3. Hugh Hogland - freshman
4. Josh Phillips - freshman
5. Unknown - freshman?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:33 pm

I updated the scholarship chart... let me  know if I got anything wrong!

2018 Recruiting - Page 8 Depth_12

I put the walk-ons in italics at the bottom. Players who have used their redshirt year are indicated with an asterisk. And this assumes a 6th year for Clark.

At first blush, it's hard not to feel optimistic about the 2019-20 season... if everyone sticks around and improves as players, that will be a really nice mix of experience and talent.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks for the update, Stoney....at first glance,  just two small corrections:

1. Malcolm used his redshirt  year.

2. Xavier has two years remaining....and the last I heard, he is planning to be a 5-year guy. (He never played at Cal St. Dominguez Hills, but has to sit out a year after transferring back up to D1. Technically, because he was not in school anywhere during the 2017 fall/winter semester, he won't be eligible until mid-December, but I think he expects to get a waiver to start play in in November. He started practicing this past mid-December.)

I think we can expect at least two redshirts this coming season, Phillips and/or the next freshman C/F who comes in, and if the coaches can make it happen, another strong transfer like Crisshawn who will be required to sit a year.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks DD! Updated version now in the post above.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Be on the lookout, StudentPilot...this guy has the potential to be really, really good! Don’t let him get away!
I read that 6-10 Theo Akwuba was visiting both #47 WKU and #44 Arkansas, is he still planning to visit UP?
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:10 pm

StudentPilot wrote:
I read that 6-10 Theo Akwuba was visiting both #47 WKU and #44 Arkansas, is he still planning to visit UP?
Akwuba arrived on campus yesterday!

"Hey Theo, great weather here in Portland!"
"Yeah, I really like it!"
"Just like Montgomery?"  Showing I know something about him....
"Yes, but not humid and no thunderstorms..."

Very tall and shy, but extremely pleasant 17 year-old...I don't think he blocked all those shots out of meanness. tongue
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:09 pm

Great timing to have Theo on campus... Let's hope the visit continues to go well, as he would be a great addition to the program.

GO PILOTS!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:24 pm

PilotNut wrote:Great timing to have Theo on campus... Let's hope the visit continues to go well, as he would be a great addition to the program.
Apparently Theo has at least one more official visit to make before he decides where to attend college...
Coach Bob Cantu wrote:We had an excellent official visit with the ideal student athlete and his family for the University of Portland in past 2 days. We will patiently wait for his decision on Monday.  He has choices from SEC, Conference USA, and Sun Belt Conference. #overachiever
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next