2015-2016 Schedule--Rumors & Facts

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2015-2016 Schedule--Rumors & Facts

Post by DoubleDipper on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:50 am

Terry Cahill wrote:I think the Pilots will get four games out of the Corpus Christi tournament. It's been an eight-team event with four games over two weekends, with the first weekend hosted at "campus sites" - so the first weekend could be two home or two away.
Based upon what I was hearing from various sources in Las Vegas, UP will be a first weekend host, and those two games will be the first D1 HOME games of the season.

I expect UP will play one exhibition game against a non-D1 opponent and another super-secret scrimmage against a Pac-12 opponent before beginning the actual preseason on the road.

As OSU and UP will be the home teams in the Far West Classic, it's my guess OSU will be UP's scrimmage opponent before preseason play begins......once again depriving NPN and the rest of us a chance to watch the Pilots in action, regardless of the opponent.
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:I think the Pilots will get four games out of the Corpus Christi tournament......We already know half the teams - UP, Southern Illinois (first weekend host), UTEP (first weekend host), and Oakland.
Hmm, I think we now know who will be playing in Corpus Christi on November 27 & 28.

Until TC's post, I don't think we knew that UTEP and Southern Illinois were first weekend hosts, but we previously learned that Colorado St. and UP were the other first weekend hosts....so, the four teams in Corpus Christi will be:

Portland
Southern Illinois
Texas-El Paso
Colorado St.

I'm sure we won't know who's playing who until the schedule comes out in late summer, but we now know who we'll see if we're going to Texas for Thanksgiving.

BTW, if anyone is planning to fly Southwest Airlines to Corpus Christi, the first time you can make a reservation for November/December is May 14th.....
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:13 am

The schedule continues to take shape....this article discusses the (New) Far West Classic in the Moda Center and gives us the teams:
http://www.buildingthedam.com/2015/4/10/8382571/far-west-classic-returns-sort-of

Friday 12/18:
UP vs. Weber St.
OSU vs. UCSB

Saturday 12/19:
UP vs. UCSB
OSU vs. Tulsa
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:05 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Saturday 12/19:
UP vs. UCSB

Hey, good thing Alan Williams graduated!
Dean Murdoch
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2015-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:40 am

Here's some creative thinking from San Diego. We obviously can't play an outdoors game in December in Portland, but something creative could be done to spice up the Pilots-Vikings annual game!

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/apr/10/sdsu-basketball-petco-park-usd/

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2012-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:45 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Here's some creative thinking from San Diego. We obviously can't play an outdoors game in December in Portland, but something creative could be done to spice up the Pilots-Vikings annual game!

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/apr/10/sdsu-basketball-petco-park-usd/

You mean like a fake handshake? Duck!
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 394
Registration date : 2007-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu May 07, 2015 3:59 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:The schedule continues to take shape....this article discusses the (New) Far West Classic in the Moda Center and gives us the teams:http://www.buildingthedam.com/2015/4/10/8382571/far-west-classic-returns-sort-of

Friday 12/18:
UP vs. Weber St.
OSU vs. UCSB Cal State Fullerton

Saturday 12/19:
UP vs. UCSB Cal State Fullerton
OSU vs. Tulsa
Hard to say if the first article was incorrect or if there was simply a change, but the revised schedule is now quoted above....

This newer article from UP mentions OSU season ticket holders will have Far West Classic tickets as part of their packet....no mention yet if Pilots fans will have the same situation.  

Apparently UP plays at 6 each evening followed by the Beavers at 8:30ish.

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2015/5/7/MBB_0507151853.aspx
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:51 pm

pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1121
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:17 pm

pilotram wrote:Nice link for a summary of early season tournaments.
Did you notice that one of the sources for the Corpus Christi Challenge matchup was PilotNation.  

I guess we better up our accuracy game if we are to be a "source."  Razz

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:57 pm

To bad they weren't around for the Marta signing.
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10505
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:26 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
pilotram wrote:Nice link for a summary of early season tournaments.
Did you notice that one of the sources for the Corpus Christi Challenge matchup was PilotNation.  

I guess we better up our accuracy game if we are to be a "source."  Razz

The source for placing Oakland there was a youtube video. Scouring the net, I tell 'ya.
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 am

Florida A&M and Oakland have now both released their entire schedules for 2015-16.

http://www.famuathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25300&SPID=80919&SPSID=606609&DB_OEM_ID=25300

http://www.goldengrizzlies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/060815aab.html

Both Florida A&M and Oakland are "visiting teams" in the Corpus Christi tournament. But neither of them play Portland in the tourney's opening games - FAMU plays SIU and UTEP, Oakland plays SIU and CSU.

So, considering FAMU's schedule indicates Abilene Christian and Troy are the other two visiting teams..........does that mean the Pilots get those two at home? (Oskars Reinfelds plays for Troy)
Dean Murdoch
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:So, considering FAMU's schedule indicates Abilene Christian and Troy are the other two visiting teams..........does that mean the Pilots get those two at home? (Oskars Reinfelds plays for Troy)
In some ways I would love to see Oskars play again and see how he's developed, but on the other hand, knowing how he let his teammates and the university down through his behavior, it's probably just as well we don't see him at the Chiles Center again.

I believe you are spot-on with your prediction of Abilene Christian, but I'm doubtful about Troy.  Abilene will probably be the Pilots D1 home opener (after playing a NAIA school).  The other team we've not really heard about in the Corpus Christi Tournament is Maryland-Eastern Shore, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are the other UP opponent in the Chiles Center prior to the Pilots heading to Corpus Christi for Thanksgiving.

Either way, Troy or M-ES, UP should be favored!

(Isn't that FAMU website about the ugliest you've ever seen!)
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:37 am

DoubleDipper wrote:(Isn't that FAMU website about the ugliest you've ever seen!)

I was more concerned with the lack of Texas geographical knowledge. El Pasco? Corpus Christie? Sheesh
Dean Murdoch
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:39 am

Terry Cahill wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:(Isn't that FAMU website about the ugliest you've ever seen!)

I was more concerned with the lack of Texas geographical knowledge. El Pasco? Corpus Christie? Sheesh

I thought it was where we kept the archbishop's body.
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:03 pm

El Pasco....directly across the river from La Kenniwick.
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:27 pm

pilotram wrote:El Pasco....directly across the river from La Kenniwick.
And the often forgotten town amongst the Tri-Cities of Washington, Richland, or "la ciudad de bombarderos."

Not nicknamed the City of Bombers because the the Lewis & Clark Corps of Discovery visited there in 1802, but because it was one of the prime centers for the Manhattan Project....which was NOT a school for mixing cocktails.
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:04 am

Terry Cahill wrote:Both Florida A&M and Oakland are "visiting teams" in the Corpus Christi tournament. But neither of them play Portland in the tourney's opening games - FAMU plays SIU and UTEP, Oakland plays SIU and CSU.

So, considering FAMU's schedule indicates Abilene Christian and Troy are the other two visiting teams..........does that mean the Pilots get those two at home? (Oskars Reinfelds plays for Troy)
My guess was Maryland-Eastern Shore, but I just read on a M-ES fan board that they are NOT part of the tournament.....so after lurking on twitter for awhile, it would now appear UP's opponents will be Abilene Christian and ALCORN STATE!

Both games will be played in the Chiles Center just before Thanksgiving and before the Pilots depart for Corpus Christi to face either Colorado St., UTEP, or Southern Illinois in the two games there.

So the schedule is shaping up....an NAIA game at home, UC Davis and Colorado on the road, then home games against Abilene Christian and Alcorn St before flying to Corpus Christi.  

After Corpus Christi the Pilots will likely play a trio of Big Sky schools....PSU at the Stott Center and Idaho St. and Sacramento St. at home....and before you know it, it's finals week which culminates in games against Big Sky Weber St. and Fullerton St. in the Moda Center on December 18-19.  After that it's WCC play beginning at home on December 21 and/or 23 before a quick Christmas break and back on the road immediately after Christmas.

I think that totals 30 games.....plus a secret scrimmage (probably against OSU).
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm

This schedule is about on-par with last year's, in terms of quality of opponent. Zero top 50 opponents, four opponents in the top 101, and four sub-300. (Though of course last year's rankings aren't always indicative of how good a team will be this year.) Let's hope this schedule adequately prepares us for the WCC!

Final '14-'15 KenPom rankings of '15-'16 opponents:
UC Davis: 95
Colorado: 101
Abilene: 335
Alcorn: 346
Colo St.: 76
UTEP: 99
Southern Ill: 226
PSU: 252
Idaho St.: 313
Sac St.: 187
Weber: 264
Fullerton: 302
Average: 216

For comparison's sake, here are the final '13-'14 rankings of our '14-'15 opponents:
San Jose St: 302
SIUE: 285
Murray St.: 115
Drake: 200
Valpo: 169
PSU: 276
OSU: 110
Sac St.: 275
UNLV: 91
Mont. St.: 308
Average: 213

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut on Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:20 pm

Well, we saw how well last year's pre-conference schedule prepared us for the WCC...  Rolling Eyes

This schedule isn't really going to help put butts in seats, unfortunately.  Will the games at the Moda Center be included in the Season Ticket package?  That might be a bit more difficult to manage with 3 other teams involved, and I assume only 1 session each day... Question

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:33 pm

PilotNut wrote:Well, we saw how well last year's pre-conference schedule prepared us for the WCC...  Rolling Eyes

This schedule isn't really going to help put butts in seats, unfortunately.  Will the games at the Moda Center be included in the Season Ticket package?  That might be a bit more difficult to manage with 3 other teams involved, and I assume only 1 session each day... Question
1. I don't think the schedule was built with fan butts in mind, but more to give a new/young team a chance to survive and thrive in preparation for WCC.
2. OSU has the Moda games as part of their season ticket package.
3. Yea, only one session, but I don't see seating being a problem for season ticket holders....now the cost of parking, that's another matter... Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:.
3. Yea, only one session, but I don't see seating being a problem for season ticket holders....now the cost of parking, that's another matter... Rolling Eyes

Two block walk and a ten minute bus ride with my honored citizen rate gets me to the front door.

Anybody on the East side has bus or Max routes that go right past the place.
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:53 pm

From UP's May 7 press release:

"The Far West Classic Invite tickets will also be included in all University of Portland men's basketball season tickets."

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:24 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:From UP's May 7 press release:

"The Far West Classic Invite tickets will also be included in all University of Portland men's basketball season tickets."

whoop!
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:50 pm

PilotNut wrote:This schedule isn't really going to help put butts in seats, unfortunately.

Yeah, the home schedule is a little lacking in terms of name opponents.

Looking at it through a preparation lens, I see three teams on UP's non-conf schedule that could compete for a top-three WCC finish - Colorado, Colorado State, and UTEP (though the Pilots may only see one of the last two).

The rest of the schedule, I fully admit I know nothing about what each team has coming in but I'm having trouble picking out a school that would finish above the WCC cellar. Davis was good last year, but loses four contributing seniors. Abilene, Alcorn, Fullerton, Idaho State were all ranked in the 300s last year. Sac State won't be nearly the same without McKinney and Garrity. PSU loses four starters including Douglas. Southern Illinois and Weber State were both under .500 in MVC and Big Sky, respectively, but return everyone so hard to say how much they'll jump.

Would have been nice to have a Hawaii or a Santa Barbara on there to give the Pilots a crack at a team of about a WCC mid-tier calibre, but I don't think it's easy to schedule!
Dean Murdoch
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum