Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Murray State University!

+3
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
RacerJoeD
7 posters

Go down

Hello from Murray State University! Empty Hello from Murray State University!

Post by RacerJoeD Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:22 am

Hello, all from the bucolic hills of far western Kentucky where the men are manly, women are beautiful, and the horses are RACERS!

Looking forward to our post Thanksgiving tilt and just wanted to offer myself as an information source on Murray State basketball, our current team, the city of Nashville or just about anything else you may want to know.

Good luck to the Pilots in the upcoming season, save one game in November, and here is to hoping we see the Pilots called soon after my Racers in March.

RacerJoeD
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-10-16

Back to top Go down

Hello from Murray State University! Empty Re: Hello from Murray State University!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Admit it, who else had to look up "bucolic" ?

bu·col·ic
byo͞oˈkälik/

adjective: bucolic
• 1. of or relating to the pleasant aspects of the countryside and country life.

noun: bucolic
• 1. a pastoral poem.

Back to top Go down

Hello from Murray State University! Empty Re: Hello from Murray State University!

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:17 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:Hello, all from the bucolic hills of far western Kentucky where the.......women are beautiful, and the horses are RACERS!
DeanMurdoch wrote:adjective: bucolic
• 1. of or relating to the pleasant aspects of the countryside and country life.

noun: bucolic
• 1. a pastoral poem.
Deaner, you forgot part 2. of the noun: a farmer or shepherd; a rustic (a rural person).

This is the picture my dictionary used to describe (noun:) bucolic:

Hello from Murray State University! Buchol10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by RacerJoeD Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Well that's not me, but we are the home of Molly Sims

RacerJoeD
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Thank goodness. I thought it was a form of Ebola.

I was staying indoors.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:53 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:Well that's not me, but we are the home of Molly Sims

She your point guard?

Hello from Murray State University! D265c4ded2e6404ed3e81f291e075ec8
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:34 pm

If she is Im on the plane to that game!

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by RacerJoeD Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Uhh.... No.

Still interested in the trip?

RacerJoeD
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:55 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:Still interested in the trip?
Actually, there were a number of us interested in heading to Nashville for the Music City Tournament, but as it is Thanksgiving, the airfares and hotel rates are outrageous , and sticking to family commitments now are a trade-off for Las Vegas later. Cool

I'm quite sure this tournament was not UP's first choice due to the amount travel and finals just around the corner, but scheduling is more art than science...I guess. Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:30 am

I note that Murray State has quite a basketball history . . .six NCAA appearances since the Pilots berth in 1996. CIT champions last year. Favorites in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Even with a few of its faithful there to cheer them on, I think the Pilots will be challenged by more than the distractions of your bucolic setting.

Good luck and an early happy Thanksgiving to you folks.

I hope the Pilots acquit themselves well.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by RacerJoeD Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Basketball is our sport. We have amassed 38 conference championships and 15 NCAA tourney appearances total. ESPN has ranked us twice in the top 30 programs in the nation, with varying criteria and Street and Smith's had us at 52 in theirs. We have an NBA Hall of Famer, and the player highest career scoring record of any school in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Also, we have had 26 straight winning seasons.

We are pretty proud of our team. If you get a chance watch this mini documentary done on the Racers a couple years ago. (I can't post the link per admin rules- very understandable- but search the partial link below and you will have it.)

responsibility-project.libertymutual.com/films/the-home-team

I have no doubt that the Pilots will acquit themselves well in the upcoming season, and the tourney as well. Murray State is not putting on this tournament, but it is a great idea. I hope that there is a loud Pilot section, despite the holiday. Nashville is a very nice city and the basketball should be top notch.

RacerJoeD
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:37 pm

RacerJoeD wrote: I hope that there is a loud Pilot section, despite the holiday. Nashville is a very nice city and the basketball should be top notch.
Six weeks ago when I was considering being an "unofficial host" to Pilots fans, I checked on how many UP Alums were within 75 miles of Nashville....and came up with close to 70, but of the 15 or so that I checked with, NONE were planning to attend.  

I also attempted to get a some official UP interest, but it was felt that in addition to the tournament being held during the Thanksgiving holiday, it was just too far and too expensive for any official representation.....

Unlike supporters of the Racers, Pilots' fans are pretty laid back about supporting athletics.....except, perhaps, women's soccer.....winners of two NCAA Division I National Championships.  pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:26 am

Murry State has been picked by the Ohio Valley Conference coaches to win the OVC's West Division, and to win the conference championship:

http://ovcsports.com/news/2014/10/20/MBB_1020142230.aspx

UP opponent SIU-Edwardsville was picked to finish third in the OVC West.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1396
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by RacerJoeD Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:43 pm

SIUE is a sneaky good team, though I do not know the specifics of the game with you all i.e. home team etc.

RacerJoeD
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:05 pm

SIU-E plays at UP on Nov. 22. Two days later they play across town at Portland State.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1396
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Murray State plays Xavier tomorrow night on Fox Sports One, if you Portland-area folk get that channel there.

(Keep a lookout for our girl JSB while you're on FS1 - good Saskatchewan girl!)

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:47 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Murray State plays Xavier tomorrow night on Fox Sports One, if you Portland-area folk get that channel there.

(Keep a lookout for our girl JSB while you're on FS1 - good Saskatchewan girl!)
Yup, we do get FS1 in the Portland area, and I'm sure we won't be the only ones scouting Murray St.

Looking forward to seeing one more good Canadian girl!
Hello from Murray State University! Canadi11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:16 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:I have no doubt that the Pilots will acquit themselves well in the upcoming season, and the tourney as well. Murray State is not putting on this tournament, but it is a great idea. I hope that there is a loud Pilot section, despite the holiday. Nashville is a very nice city and the basketball should be top notch.
Thanks for starting this thread and strengthening our interest in Murray St. and the Nashville tournament, RacerJoeD.  Cool

About the only UP fans I saw were the players and staff on the bench, but yes, the Pilots acquitted themselves well....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:40 pm

The audio guys said Riley's parents were there, but that was about it for UP fans.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:51 pm

Too bad the travel options were so limited and very pricey... this would have been a fun Thanksgiving trip!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Just watched the 28-5 Racers wallop UTEP....next they play Tulsa.

Murray St. was a shoo-in for the NCAA until they were upset by Belmont in the Ohio Valley Conference Final by 1 point.

Prior to that loss they had won 25 straight (including 16-0 in league play) after losing to UP and Valpo in Nashville.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:42 pm

The Racers are done for the year after losing on the road to ODU.

Great game though.  They lost on a running 3-pointer that banked in with less than a second left in the game from half way between the arc and the mid-court line.

Fun to watch....ODU now heads to Madison Square Garden for the Final Four of the NIT.

Murray St. finishes the year at 29-6. Thirty would have been magic!! Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down