Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great night at the Chiles Center!

3 posters

Go down

Great night at the Chiles Center! Empty Great night at the Chiles Center!

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:33 pm

Great win for the men tonight. After their big lead slipped away, they kept fighting and pulled out a win. Having Ito back helps, and the big men are looking better all the time. We could still cut down on the turnovers, but this was a great team effort and a good sign for the rest of the season. The women started slow but pulled away in the first game. We had to bring in the ringers (like yours truly) but I thought we sounded pretty good, so all in all I had a great night.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Great night at the Chiles Center! Empty Re: Great night at the Chiles Center!

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:43 pm

My first game of the season, and we get a solid win (and the band sounded great, PPT). Very Happy

More extensive thoughts to come tomorrow . . .

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:54 am

Good to see the team regain composure in the 2nd half and pull out the win.

It was both ways, but I have to say it was one of the most "interestingly" called games I have seen in a while.

Anyone else catch ref Libbey's comments to Smeulders? Out of line for any ref to be talking to players like that... Libbey needs to go away. Now.

I should add that Chiles Center looks great with all the upgrades, new paint, new floor, etc... the lighting seems much better, too with the black walls. A vast improvement.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:55 pm

I was sitting right behind Fr. Pru and the Pilot bench, so I caught a word or two of what he said, but not much. The people sitting around me were asking each other what he said, but nobody really knew the answer. What did you hear, PilotNut? Is Libbey a WCC ref? Agreed on the game being "interestingly" called. Coach Rev and the UNC (Ha! We beat UNC!) coach were actually laughing about it during the game. One of the neat things about where I was sitting was that I could hear most of what Rev was saying to the team during timeouts: "Look, I can call anything I want, but if you guys don't execute, it means nothing!"

Anyway, this was my first game this season, and the Chiles Center really does look great. For the first half, our team looked even better. We were moving the ball well, getting open shots, and really looking like a solid basketball team. Even during the dry spell to open the second half, we were still getting open shots, just not hitting them. I agree with PilotNut that seeing the team regaining composure was good, but I can't help shaking the feeling that we never should have been in that position in the first place.

A few observation points:

1.) Sikma had a really, really off-night, epitomized by missing a dunk early in the first half. Hopefully next week's rest game against Cascade helps him get back on track.

2.) Taishi was really struggling from outside, missing a couple wide-open threes that might have put the game away early in the second. He needs to rediscover the shot he was developing at the end of last year.

3.) On the other hand, Jared Stohl's stroke is true. Nothing but the bottom of the net on three deep threes. Perhaps he can work out some with Taishi.

4.) Smeulders had some great moves under the basket. After being so thin on inside presence under Holton, it's so nice to have three (four, w/Hannibal) inside players that we can rotate as needed.

5.) Sherrard really took over at the end of the game, and that was great to see. With such a young roster, seeing him step up to lead was huge.

6.) As noted above, we were able to move the ball around the court very effectively all night, creating open shots and lanes to the basket. Given our recent offensive struggles, this was good to see.

7.) Free throw shooting - especially in the clutch - was much improved.

All in all, a solid win over a decent Big Sky team that could pull off a few upsets in their conference this year.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:21 pm

According to the write-up on portlandpilots.com, the Pilots were 10-10 FT shooting in the last 1:06--a very good sign.

I didn't see the exchange between Libbey and Smeulders, but Libbey has been around forever, in the Pac-10 and other conferences. I could hear some Gonzaga fans giving him the business at one game. Apparently he isn't their favorite official either.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:01 pm

Libbey is famous for making himself the center of attention. He is very dramatic at all times on the court. And he thinks quite highly of himself.

If there is ever a ref that will make a "questionable" or borderline call in the final few seconds with the game yet to be decided.... it's our good friend, Dave Libbey.

The interaction happened right in front of the UP bench, Libbey called Smeulders out of bounds when he touched the ball, and Smeulders kind of just held his hands out as he walked towards the bench, asking about the foul that wasnt called.... Libbey then very loudly, talking to the other refs but very much for Robin to hear, yelled out "Is this guy a freshman? Is this guy a FRESHMAN?!" in a very condescending way... emphasis on the the "freshman". Libbey is such a tool! Rolling Eyes

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:25 pm

I have only seen him a few times, but I have noticed Libbey, like some officials, makes sure everyone is aware of his presence. The way he deals with players it's a wonder he's not in the NBA! Smile (Maybe he's a Joey Crawford fan).

I actually agree with Gonzaga fans on something. It was bound to happen eventually:D.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down