Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Der Rhino (das Nashorn?)

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Der Rhino (das Nashorn?) Empty Der Rhino (das Nashorn?)

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:34 pm

@rhinoup32: I'm happy to announce I'll be playing in the first division of Germany for Mitteldeutscher BC next year #blessed http://t.co/hzSlcCZyfR

Congrats!

Last edited by El Geez on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Der Rhino (das Nashorn?) Empty Re: Der Rhino (das Nashorn?)

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:36 pm

El Geez wrote:
@rhinoup32: I'm happy to announce I'll be playing in the first division of Germany for Mitteldeutscher BC next year #blessed http://t.co/hzSlcCZyfR

Congrats!
Yes, congratulations, we knew it was only a matter of WHERE Rhino would end up as there is no doubt he is the type of player who will do well in Europe for years to come.

Speaking of where.....Rhino will be based in Weissenfels, in the former East Germany.  And this will sound like the musings of an old airman (which it is), but I studied the Weissenfels area and all the other expected tactical avenues of Soviet Armor on its predicted path to the Fulda Gap when I was an A-10 pilot stationed in Europe during the Cold War.  NATO confronting the Soviets at the Fulda Gap was often considered the "First Battle of the Next War," and it is the reason the A-10 was built....to kill Soviet Armor.

I look forward to traveling to Weissenfels to see Rhino play and to the Ukraine to see Pooh play.....it would be great to see both areas that were on the "other" side during my 8 years in Europe.  Very Happy 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:07 am

Had seen a couple of tweets about Ryan going to the BBL and was wondering if maybe he'd be teammates with a couple players from our area that won a playoff title this year - turns out the BBL not only could be the British Basketball League, but also the Basketball Bundesliga where Ryan will be playing!

Also just read the entire Wikipedia entry on the Fulda Gap. You learn all sorts of things around these parts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:15 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:

Also just read the entire Wikipedia entry on the Fulda Gap. You learn all sorts of things around these parts!

Ha! I just read it also... And the history of tactical nuclear weapons.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:34 am

You guys!  I really appreciate you both staying awake in the middle of the night reading about the Fulda Gap while presumably watching World Cup highlights.

The Gap and the entire International Geopolitical Border were "my PhD" in military planning and preparation.....first for 3 years in the RAF flying Jaguars, and later 5 years in the USAF flying Warthogs.  

In both roles we worked with virtually all the NATO ground and air forces with only one thing in mind....stopping the Warsaw Pact countries from invading West Germany and beyond.

Five years ago I had the opportunity to host five German students in the US......none knew anything about the Cold War.  I liked that they had no worries about an East/West war, but saddened they were unaware of the many who deterred war.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:18 am

From UP Sports:
Ryan Nicholas Signs with Mitteldeutscher BC Weissenfels of Germany

University of Portland graduate Ryan Nicholas has signed a professional contract with German club Mitteldeutscher BC Weissenfels of the Basketball Bundesliga (BBL), the top division in Germany. Nicholas, a three-year starter with the Pilots, concluded his career ranked No. 5 in Portland history in both rebounds (833) and double-doubles (24) and also was No. 12 in career scoring (1,238).
The rest of the story here:
http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2014/6/18/MBB_0618141514.aspx
Nicholas is the 12th Pilot in the last five years to sign a professional basketball contract upon graduation. A total of six Pilots played overseas last season and are listed below:

Pilots in the Pros (2013-14)
Pooh Jeter '06 (Shandong FB – China)
Robin Smeulders '09 (EWE Baskets – Germany)
Nik Raivio '10 (Jaszberenyi – Hungary)
TJ Campbell '10 (Dijon – France… Signed with Nanterre in France for 2014-15)
Luke Sikma '11 (CB Canarias – Spain)
Kramer Knutson '11 (London Lions – UK)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:21 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
@rhinoup32: I'm happy to announce I'll be playing in the first division of Germany for Mitteldeutscher BC next year #blessed
Sweet, he gets paid to play basketball and they gave him a car too.  Don't worry, Rhino, it won't take you any time at all to learn to drive a stick-shift. #kids!  Rolling Eyes 

Der Rhino (das Nashorn?) Mittel11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Laughing
Ryan Nicholas @rhinoup32    ·  Aug 18  
Well I drove my car ALONE for the first time today. So I guess that is progress on the assimilation front. #stickshift #germany
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:02 pm

Assimilation will be when he washes and waxes the car by hand every Saturday.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi guys, hope all is well. It looks like someone (Double Dipper) has been stalking my twitter account with that pic.  lol!
I thought I would update you on how Rhino is doing over in Germany. As I type he is very much enjoying everything about the team and the opportunity to play in the BBL. I truly think it took him about three days to get over jet lag, get over the fact he is a long way from home, and to feel comfortable with a completely new group of teammates.
He has a very nice apartment and of course you saw the new car he gets to drive. One of the changes he has to adjust to is the food situation. No longer can he waltz into the Commons and have his fill. He has to cook for himself or forrage at one of the many cafes in the town. He reports that he is doing great with the food situation so I just have to trust him on that. One story I just have to share. When Ryan was a freshman he was on a very strict and regimented eating plan. It only took him two weeks  to run through his monthly credits for food at which point he would have to go to Rev and get more money put on his card. Well this went on for another month or two and some folks thought that Ryan was feeding the homeless or harboring a small family in his dorm room. They did an audit, found out that he was eating the way he should be and so the problem went to the Presidents office. The end result was that the school adjusted every student athletes eating allowance as a result of Ryans healty eating habits. He was quite the popular freshman on campus that year.

The team will be busy, they will have a couple friendly games next week then they travel to Slovenia for their team camp. Not sure what that country holds but maybe Double Dipper can enlighten me. In no time they will be playing league games (34 in all) so there will be plenty of time to get assimilated to the nuances of the Euro game.

Most of you know how many games I attended over the last four years and I cant even begin to convey how hard it will be for me not to be watching him at the Chiles and on the road.
It was a great four years, I still cant believe its over. I looked over the schedule and have a couple games already penciled in so keep your eye out for me over in section 4L.

If anyone has any questions etc just let me know, I will keep an eye on you here. Once a Pilot always a Pilot.

Tim

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Ha-ha, you are correct, pd1.....you know how kids are, they rarely write, so I had to check your twitter account to see how things were going for Rhino.

Great story about Rhino's eating beyond the budget.....but great too that UP adjusted the consumption level for all the athletes (although I can't imagine those skinny little X-C folks eat anything at all).  Laughing 

The guy to ask about Slovenia is probably Jdizzle64, didn't he play professionally there for a couple of years?

Rhino's 4 years sure went by fast, didn't they!  Looking forward to seeing you at a few games this year....I know number of the current players are looking forward to seeing you too.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:58 pm

Thanks for the update, PD1! Will there be any way to watch some of the games here? A web stream?

Imagine what a world of change he is going through... it sheds light on the similar huge change that foreign student athletes face when coming here at Freshmen... at a younger age, with less "life" experience!

Hopefully Ryan will be able to experience some of the delicious German Bier on days off! (This is PN, and we have not discussed beer/bier in far too long).

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:46 pm

PilotNut, I was told by his agent that the BBL will be streaming every game but at this point I havent uncovered where to find it. I will update as more info becomes available.

Yes, a "world of change" is accurate. I told him before he left that most if not all of the graduating seniors from UP over the last three years either have played or are playing overseas and they adjusted. The thing I really admire about Ryan is that he is comfortable with his own company. He is an independent person and doesnt mind the fact he lives by himself, in fact he enjoys it.
You are right, it is similar to the foreign students moving to UP to attend school. Even more impressive for those kids is that for most it is the first time being out of their parents house. At least Ryan was "on his own" for four years at college.

I dont know about Ryan enjoying the German beers but they are definitely on my agenda if and when I get over there!!!

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:12 pm

Thought I would give you guys an update on Ryan and his club.
Its not uncommon for rookies to have a "try out" period in their contract which gives the club the ability cut said player during that time. Ryans has expired and he is now an official member of the team. This is actually no small feat considering that the BBL is one of the top leagues in Europe. As an example Stephen Holt from St Marys was released late last week which I was sad to see as he is a really good player.
So with that behind him, the season starts on Thursday and their first game is against Bayern Munich which won the league last year. They have Jon Bryant from Santa Clara anchoring their interior and the game will be a good test for MBC.
Ryans team had 12 preseason games where the club went 11-1 which was pretty good. Ryan is averaging 8 ppg and 5 rpg in 20 minutes of action. With over 45 games this year its nice that the coach is keeping the minutes balanced so the guys dont burn out.
Ryan is shooting 47% from behind the arc and 50 % from the field so not too shaby so far.

In other news the stickshift has been conquered and to date no accidents to report. His culinary skills are on the rise with steak and chicken being pan fried on a regular basis.

I hope to have a stream link for anyone who wishes to catch a game.

Hope this finds all the PN crew in good shape.

Last edited by pilotdad1 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : late night typing)

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:50 pm

That's for the update. Look forward to the stream.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:34 am

Thanks for the update--great to hear Ryan made the cut! If games are in the evenings in Germany, that would make them late morning here... You lucky retired Geezer-types should be able to watch!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:49 am

PilotNut wrote: If games are in the evenings in Germany, that would make them late morning here... You lucky retired Geezer-types should be able to watch!  
Hahaha, you working guys must REALLY get up early to consider 4 or 5 AM "late morning."

Proud of Rhino for making the cut....but with his work ethic and sound fundamentals, I think it was expected by just about all of us.  What IS surprising is his new found ability to actually do a little cooking.  Razz  Hope he's eating healthy if he's going to compete in close to 50 games plus practices before his first season ends.  

Hmm..."47% from behind the arc".....I think Rhino's WCC opponents knew they had to come out to guard him (as I recall, he shot close to 40% his senior year), but if they start doing that in the BBL, where there's generally better floor spacing, he's going to find the open man more often than not.

Go Wolves!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:12 am

pilotdad1 wrote:.......Stephen Holt from St Marys was released late last week which I was sad to see as he is a really good player.
My faculty friend at St. Mary's has heard that Holt may actually have asked for his release from MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg.....and is looking at hooking up with another European team or playing in the Philippines.

I'm not at all sure of the quality of professional basketball or the pay scale in the Philippines, but as Stephen has often described himself as a "Proud Filipino," he may find playing there a very positive experience.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Here is the stream link that was sent to me. Apparently you can watch live or for those of us who choose not to get up at the crack of dawn it has replays available.
http://www.telekombasketball.de

DD you very well may be right, the website that I track the Euro league didnt specifically say.

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:06 pm

We see now why Holt asked for his release - signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers today! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:02 pm

I saw that Dean and hope that he makes the cut as I hope Stockton makes it with the Wizards.

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:34 pm

PilotNut wrote:Thanks for the update--great to hear Ryan made the cut!  If games are in the evenings in Germany, that would make them late morning here... You lucky retired Geezer-types should be able to watch!  
Rhino's first game is tomorrow at 1115 AM PDT....it appears it will be live streamed in HD for free....but I guess we won't know until we try to watch it.

https://www.telekombasketball.de/spielplan   Remember, his team is MBC.

I learned my Spanish by watching Mexican soap operas at a Laundromat in SOCAL, no reason why we can't learn German watching basketball.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:30 am

My favorites are la Fueza del Destino and De Pocas, Pocas Pulgas.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Rhino's first game is tomorrow at 1115 AM PDT....it appears it will be live streamed in HD for free....but I guess we won't know until we try to watch it.
https://www.telekombasketball.de/spielplan   Remember, his team is MBC.
Well, it's NOT free!  Apparently we can see free highlights at some point, but my German is so awful, I can't really tell.

MBC was down 10-0 early, last I checked.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:41 pm

MBC started the game leading 10-0 but lost by 15 or so. I had terrible trouble getting on the Telekom stream so I went to twitter and got some help

Here is a great site that offers all the games (for free in HD) plus a lot of other misc sporting events.

www.laola1.tv

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum