Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMU fires Coach Good

+5
LioninWinter
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LMU fires Coach Good Empty LMU fires Coach Good

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:01 pm

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10592443/loyola-marymount-lions-fire-head-coach-max-good

Loyola Marymount fires Max Good

Loyola Marymount parted ways with Max Good on Tuesday.

Former Charlotte Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap is a legitimate candidate to replace Good, according to sources.

Good, 72, took over for Bill Bayno in 2009 after Bayno resigned due to health reasons just months into his tenure. Good was elevated and led the Lions to an 18-15 mark in 2010.

However, the Lions have been ravaged by injuries the last few years. LMU finished 11-23 and 1-15 in the WCC a year ago and the Lions are 13-19 and 4-14 this season.

Good was previously the head coach at Bryant University -- and also helped build a prep powerhouse at Maine Central Institute in the 1990s.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

LMU fires Coach Good Empty Re: LMU fires Coach Good

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Max Good had a tough go of it, due to injuries.  Max must have been getting close to retirement, so I am a little surprised that he was fired; of course we do not know if/what any other factors may have contributed.  I had forgotten that Good was WCC Coach of the Year in 2011-12.

Good took over 1/12/09, so I thought it would be interesting to compare career stats to Rev, starting with Good's 2009-10 team.  Both Coaches have strong academic statistics.

Max Good (5 full seasons): Overall record 77-117 (0.397), WCC record 25-53 (0.321).
Eric Reveno (8 full seasons): Overall record 111-141 (0.440), WCC record 47-73 (0.392).

So, Rev's records are better, but Good was decimated by injuries for several longer terms/seasons.  LMU placed 2 freshman on the WCC all-freshman team; UP zero.  LMU did better in tourney play (often at the Pilots' expense).   I will have to go look at their incoming class, but I recall them signing a few solid recruits (that will now likely be back on the market).  

Discussion point: LMU made a move when UP did not.  

(Disclaimer: I am not advocating for anything here, rather throwing out statistics for the sake of discussion).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Really not a surprise the Coach Good is out....but he's a respected man and a respected coach.  (Officially, his contract expired and wasn't renewed).

A few days back in an article in the Loyolan, Managing Editor Dan Raffety wrote, ”Good is more than the head basketball coach at a Division I school – he is a father figure to every man in that locker room....."

But yes, with his departure, and the departure of his associate head coach, Myke Scholl, we could see at least one decommit and some transfers.....Kevin Cacabelos, a senior at LMU and sports writer at LoyolanSports suggests that Patson Siame, Godwin Okonji, and Ayodeji Egbeymi are all possible transfers.

It has also been reported that if he wants it, PG Kyron Cartwright will be released from his LOI for next year.

Probably the most sought after recruit who could go a different direction (he hasn't signed yet) is Seattle, WA center, 6-7 240 Elijah Foster.  According to Verbal Commits, Foster has offers from LMU, Idaho, and Seattle U, but I'm sure he has more, and he is a three-star recruit....I know nothing about his classroom credentials
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Max was a class act. And it is a good note to point out that his contract was not renewed, meaning there was probably not a financial buy out... making the transaction less of a burden on LMU. If his contract expired, though, that is odd... it seems to me that it would be hard to recruit in that scenario (and makes me wonder if that was the justification for Rev's mid-season renewal, if in fact it was extended around the BYU win).

The trajectory at LMU seemed to be favorable from a recruiting standpoint...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Mike Dunlap in. Interesting.

http://www.lmulions.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031214aaa.html?callback=1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Guess they had that all lined up.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:54 pm

I like that they went for someone with head coaching experience, even though that was at the NBA level and his results there were not spectacular.

It will be interesting to see if he is able to recruit... that is a much different animal than the NBA; even his prior stints at Arizona, Oregon & St. Johns are very different recruiting situations.

This is an intriguing hire, for sure.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:27 pm

Wasn't Max supposed to be an interim coach to begin with?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:08 pm

PilotNut wrote:I like that they went for someone with head coaching experience, even though that was at the NBA level and his results there were not spectacular.

He can call Paul Westphal for advice on transitioning from the NBA to the WCC...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by LioninWinter Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:55 am

Good took over as interim head coach after Bayno quit a few months into his tenure. After his interim season, LMU gave Good a 5 year contract (which was extended for one year).

The general consensus down here in LA is that it was time for a change.

LioninWinter
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:25 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
PilotNut wrote:I like that they went for someone with head coaching experience, even though that was at the NBA level and his results there were not spectacular.

He can call Paul Westphal for advice on transitioning from the NBA to the WCC...

He could also get Paul Westhead to give him some advice.  Heck, he's looking for a new job now anyway and has the LMU connection.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:28 am

DoubleDipper wrote:It has also been reported that if he wants it, PG Kyron Cartwright will be released from his LOI for next year.
ESPN *** point guard Kyron Cartwright was released from his commitment to LMU today and is reopening his recruitment.

Cartwright was thought to be the next Anthony Ireland at LMU.  He’s got other offers, including USD, UNM, and Cal St. Fullerton.

Cartwright is from Compton, CA.  I’ve worked with a number of inner city youths in Compton over the past couple of years in a program that teaches aerodynamic, math, and science……and they learn to fly too.  Believe me, it’s a tough, tough area for some to keep the straight and narrow regarding school and after school activities.

I’m really rooting for this kid!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by LioninWinter Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:58 am

Latest rumor is Cartwright is headed to Providence. I don't think he was Anthony Ireland II. Decent PG skills but game is still raw and shooting is below par.

Coach Dunlap is working with our current players and recruits. At this point it doesn't look like there will be much disruption with current roster or recruits. We have one scholly open right now and need a point guard. Several offers to SoCal players have been named.

LioninWinter
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:26 pm

I cannot help but wondering what the story behind that huge burger is. Holy smokes. My thought is no way he really is going to eat that, but then I wasn't there speaking with whomever made it.

Whatever the thoughts about coach Good leaving the fray, Dunlap, from all reports is capable. If he can repeat what he did at Metro, LMU may be a tough out for more than us.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by LioninWinter Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:01 pm

Most fans were ready for a coaching change. Max Good has gotten credit for bringing in some noteworthy players but his game strategy, player development and execution drew heaps of criticism.

So far we like what we see with Dunlap. He's got an NBA pedigree which helps attract top talent. He's known for game strategy and player development. The staff he's brought in has hundreds and hundreds of wins at various levels. He was brought in to make things difficult for you guys in Portland and everywhere else in the conference. We're optimistic.

LioninWinter
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:38 pm

The rumor is Tennessee-Martin will name UNLV assistant Heath Schroyer as its next head coach and Max Good will return to UNLV as an assistant.

Max still has a home in Las Vegas and was an assistant there in the 90’s before being elevated to the head coaching job for one year before heading to Bryant University.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by LioninWinter Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:19 pm

It's more than rumor

LioninWinter
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:44 pm

LioninWinter wrote:It's more than rumor
Um, I keep waiting for you to finish that statement with info that is more than a rumor......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:53 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
LioninWinter wrote:It's more than rumor
Um, I keep waiting for you to finish that statement with info that is more than a rumor......

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/report-tennessee-martin-expected-to-hire-heath-schroyer-as-head-coach/

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2014/mar/18/unlv-associate-head-coach-schroyer-leaving-take-ov/

The rumor part in the second link is Max Good
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33 pm

From the article: One name that keeps coming up for the staff is 72-year-old Max Good, the former UNLV interim coach who was recently fired at Loyola Marymount. And with Good could potentially come Elijah Stewart, a three-star shooting guard out of Los Angeles. However, Stewart signed a letter of intent to Loyola Marymount so the school would have to release him from that contract.”

Ouch!  Stewart is a being counted on to bring more skill and athleticism to the wing position....hopefully, for LMU, he can be convinced LMU is still a good fit.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:36 pm

Sounds like LMU is losing its top 2014 recruit: https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/449232000965443584

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Not so fast, Max......

Now it's being reported by the Las Review-Journal that UNLV head coach Dave Rice has been offered the same position at the University of South Florida for five years at $1.2 million per year.

Frankly, I'm more interested to learn who UP's next women's basketball coach will be.   tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:20 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Sounds like LMU is losing its top 2014 recruit: https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/449232000965443584
Yes, Elijah Stewart has requested his release.  Once it is received, he'll be pursued by about half the schools in the Pac-12.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:02 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Not so fast, Max......
Oh, never mind......Dave Rice to stay at UNLV:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10693873/dave-rice-no-longer-candidate-coach-south-florida-bulls
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:17 am

LioninWinter wrote:Latest rumor is Cartwright is headed to  Providence.
Finally, a rumor that pans out.......Cartwright has indeed committed to Providence.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next