Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Year's Goal Keepers

+2
Geezaldinho
wrv
6 posters

Go down

Next Year's Goal Keepers Empty Next Year's Goal Keepers

Post by wrv Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:39 pm

If both Pilot goalies have graduated and are, in fact, moving on, are we seeking another commitment beyond Taylor Luty to handle next year's goal keeping duties? Seems risky to have only one . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Next Year's Goal Keepers Empty Re: Next Year's Goal Keepers

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:52 pm

The coaching staff is not unaware of the issue. Sources close to the program mentioned a possible transfer or another local HS player.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:37 pm

I have no doubt the staff is quite aware of the issue. Nonetheless signing day nears. And, it seems late in the process for a 2014 player to commit. While it is speculation, I assume that the staff is banking on a transfer since we likely would have some public information about another high school player. Perhaps another prep offer will come only if the transfer does not occur?

Just hoping there are troops enough next year to (wo)man the postion.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:55 am

An FYI on JC GKs (with hundreds of other possibilities.)

NJCAA 1st team all-american = Paige Buchholz New York
NJCAA 2nd team all-american = Alexandra Place Rhode Island
NJCAA 3rd team all-american = Chelsea Knaack Illinois

A more likely JC candidate, IMHO, is Rachel Cardwell a GK from Paradise Valley JC, a nursing major...5'7", HS All-State, HS Team was All-State

Food for thought as we approach Spring ogling.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:50 am

With respect, if the Pilots were recruiting a JC goalie to “transfer” to Portland, then there really is no reason for that goalie not to have signed an LOI during the signing period earlier this month. The fact that no JC goalie signed then does not rule out the possibility, but it  makes it improbable given that the staff presumably wants to complete recruiting, as it has done in prior years, during the signing period. The more plausible explanation for delay, I would think, is that the student athlete remains at another 4 year institution and that there is no signed LOI for reasons attendant with her continuing attendance there. But I am not sure I quite understand that scenario either.

Probably utterly irrelevant, but Downing has another year of eligibility, or so I understand—but if she had changed her mind about leaving it is hard to imagine we would not know already. 

Another improbable explanation is that the coaches have a goalie they want lined up for 15 and feel they can make it through 14 without two goalies . . .but I doubt that too.

Thanks for the interesting info nonetheless.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:00 am

wrv wrote:With respect, if the Pilots were recruiting a JC goalie to “transfer” to Portland, then there really is no reason for that goalie not to have signed an LOI during the signing period earlier this month.
r

Actually, the letter of intent is for one complete school year, and if a player wants to transfer without penalty, the player must complete the terms of the letter.

And since only one letter of intent is valid at a time, there is pretty good reason to wait until after the school year is complete to sign. Otherwise, a player must wait one year from the time the player leaves school.

From the NLI we page:

What is the National Letter of Intent (NLI)?

The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution

A prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
The institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
Basic penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:15 am

Maybe I am missing your point, but a JC player can sign an LOI without violating their commitment to their school because they are graduating and leaving school at the end of the second year, shortly after they presumably signed. I am pretty sure we did not wait until year end to learn that Kaila Cameli signed out of her school with the Pilots, but I haven't looked it up. And, many transfers leave their prior 4 year colleges at semester/quater end. If they stay through the school year and then transfer from the four year institution, perhaps there exists an explanation as to the delay in announcing who it is. Interesting relationship between a student athlete and her coaching staff when the student intends to transfer yet remains at a school beyong a break . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:56 am

wrv wrote:Maybe I am missing your point, but a JC player can sign an LOI without violating their commitment to their school because they are graduating and leaving school at the end of the second year, shortly after they presumably signed. I am pretty sure we did not wait until year end to learn that Kaila Cameli signed out of her school with the Pilots, but I haven't looked it up.

I did. The entire class was announced on Feb 28 that year, or after the first first semester was done.

Her announcement said she signed after transferring to UP.

But we may not be looking at JC players only.

At any rate, the latest word is there is still no one, and " we have done it before"

One year Wynne Mcintosh was the backup keeper.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:56 am

A D1 transfer brings some level of intrigue . . .we have had good fortune with goalies from other D1 schools--USC and UCLA--in the past. Hope any new transfer has that kind of skill.

I assume someone is coming . . .and that we do not have another player anticipating time in goal, but that too would be interesting.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by keeper Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:20 pm

Of course, that is assuming a transfer from a college (not JC) is released from their current program without having to sit out a year. While most women's programs haven't stood in the way, Chloe to BYU, not every university does that. UCLA-Kelsey Davis

keeper
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:38 pm

keeper wrote:Of course, that is assuming a transfer from a college (not JC) is released from their current program without having to sit out a year. While most women's programs haven't stood in the way, Chloe to BYU, not every university does that. UCLA-Kelsey Davis

The PAC12 has a rule about players not getting a waiver if the transfer. It requires a special exception and vote from all schools to get one.

That said, Tara Koleski didn't have to sit when she came from USC.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:07 pm

I know nothing about the goalie situation I didn't read here.

I have heard that UP, with higher tuition and higher academic standards, than the big state schools, is more cautious in their recruiting. They try to find athletes that can compete for academic scholarships. Or so I have been told.

What I would like to hear are pilotnationers guesses on which current player would be converted to goalie if it came to that.

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Dan No Yell wrote:I know nothing about the goalie situation I didn't read here.

I have heard that UP, with higher tuition and higher academic standards, than the big state schools, is more cautious in their recruiting. They try to find athletes that can compete for academic scholarships. Or so I have been told.

What I would like to hear are pilotnationers guesses on which current player would be converted to goalie if it came to that.

I'd be more interested in being there when the call for volunteers went out.

Terror is an emotion also.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Dan No Yell wrote:I know nothing about the goalie situation I didn't read here.

It would be either Alyssa Edenstrom or Devlyn Jeter. Obvious picks.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:40 am

If history is any guide, JC players are eligible in the season following signing their LOI, at least at the end of their sophomore years, even if they remain at the JC institution when they actually sign their LOIs. Cameli may not be a good example because we do not know if a waiver was obtained for her eligibility, but we do know she played the next season, beginning in August, less than a year later, without sitting out. 

There are so many examples of players in basketball signing out of a JC at the end of their sophomore years that I cannot imagine that such players need a waiver to avoid a year’s penalty. The system in place anticipates that JC players will transfer to 4 year institutions: Bobby Sharp, Casey Flicker, Dustin Geddis and others have come to the Pilots without sitting out despite signing their LOIs while still enrolled at the JC. A more telling example is the PSU men’s basketball team, largely composed of JC transfers. PSU’s program would likely collapse if their incoming JC transfers had to sit a year before being eligible.  Hasn’t happened as far as I know.

Here is Cameli’s announcement, for what it is worth. It clearly reflects no delay in her eligibility and as we know, she played the following year:

Kaila Cameli (Glendale, Ariz./Apollo HS/Phoenix College/SC Del Sol) – A 5-5 forward, Cameli joins the Pilots for her sophomore season after transferring from Phoenix College and becoming the first junior college transfer in the history of the Pilots’ women’s soccer program. Cameli is coming off a 2010 season where she was named ACCAC Region Player of the Year and a NJCAA All-American after breaking the Bears’ single-season goals and assists records with 22 and 11, respectively. She earned two varsity letters at Apollo High School and was named to the First Team All-Region in 2005 and 2006 after being named the Team MVP both seasons. 

“Kaila is a dynamic and explosive attacking player,” Smith said. “She has proven that she can score in a variety of ways in mass amounts. Her recruiting process out of high school was disrupted by injuries, so she really slipped through the cracks and we are lucky to have her. Kaila does not come in as a freshman; she comes in with the maturity of a junior academically.”

I continue to believe that another announcement will be made at some point regarding our “transfer” goalie.  Watching our young ladies overcome terror in the goal might even be more fun, however.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down