Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014-15 schedule

+6
PurplePrideTrumpet
DTLegend
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
Geezaldinho
NoPoNeighbor
10 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2014-15 schedule - Page 3 Empty Re: 2014-15 schedule

Post by Guest Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Either way....sorry, NO...the fuel cost would be prohibitive! Shocked

Hey, I tried. I'll just have to save my pennies for a trip to the Tournament next time the Pilots get there.

Great to hear an actual report from the 2014-15 Pilots. How about that, the least known of all the recruits is the one that might have the most immediate impact this year. Certainly will come in handy with Nicholas gone!

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:55 am

I'm also glad to hear a good report about Taylor. I'm worried about the PF position. Voldy has a long way to go to become a consistent offensive threat, and he was quite foul-prone last season on the defensive end.

PF will likely be our weakness... Unless Taylor is a real surprise.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:12 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:PF will likely be our weakness... Unless Taylor is a real surprise.
It is hard to say from watching preseason drills only, but it would appear that Thomas will play the 5 exclusively, while Voldy and Riley will play the 4 and 5 (giving Thomas the rest he'll need), and Gabe will play the 4 exclusively.  I'm not sure where Philipp will fit in....but he's got such a long wingspan and is so athletic at 7'0" that the staff will have to find him playing time somewhere.

OBTW....Voldy has really gotten himself in the best shape of his life....probably the best of the big men on the team.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:27 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Hey…..the first official practice is this coming Monday at 1PM!  Very Happy  If the team holds to past schedules, they’ll generally practice in the afternoons on MWF and the mornings on TTh.
First practice of the year is complete.  Some observations:

Of the three coaching principles used when I was playing, 1) Fear 2) Sarcasm and 3) Ridicule....Coach Rev has done a great job perfecting #2. Razz
Coach Brown is definitely the quiet man on the court.
Thomas is showing terrific leadership and mentoring qualities.
Alec and Kevin were looking strong, confident, bouncy and quick.
The five new guys obviously have quite a way to go....they're all talented, but it will naturally take a while for them to learn the system and how to play the game with WCC officiating (yes, that was mentioned often in practice).
It would appear from today's emphasis that the team's identity is going to be lock-down defense, then get the ball and RUN!
Bottom Line: I really like the way the guys worked together and supported each other.....on the other hand, they'll need all the remaining 29 practice days to be ready for their first non-exhibition game against Concordia-Portland on 11/14.
2014-15 schedule - Page 3 1st_pr10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:14 pm

If you follow the UP Mens Basketball page on FB you would have seen the video clip from todays practice.
I am looking forward to seeing the team play this year but I have to admit it still hurts that I wont be seeing #32 in uniform.
Oh well back to Rosetta Stone

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:39 pm

The video Pilotdad was referring to -

....holy crap, does Rev ever look different.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:43 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Bottom Line: I really like the way the guys worked together and supported each other.....on the other hand, they'll need all the remaining 29 practice days to be ready for their first non-exhibition game against Concordia-Portland on 11/14.

I didn't realize that Concordia-Portland game wasn't an exhibition until you wrote this.

So I guess with only one exhibition on the schedule, the Pilots will get in one of those secret scrimmages again. Against Washington last year, anyone hear anything about an opponent this year? Maybe on the Nov. 1 weekend?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:18 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:So I guess with only one exhibition on the schedule, the Pilots will get in one of those secret scrimmages again. Against Washington last year, anyone hear anything about an opponent this year? Maybe on the Nov. 1 weekend?
Shhhh....yeah it's a secret, but I believe you've already mentioned the opponent and date....up there!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:34 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Shhhh....yeah it's a secret, but I believe you've already mentioned the opponent and date....up there!

Seriously? Huh.

Well, I guess you throw enough crap at the wall and eventually something will stick!

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:40 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Shhhh....yeah it's a secret, but I believe you've already mentioned the opponent and date....up there!

Seriously? Huh.

Well, I guess you throw enough crap at the wall and eventually something will stick!

Very Happy

Are you sure you haven't mentioned any other teams " up there?"

And DD didn't say you mentioned the right team and date...together. Suspect
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:29 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Are you sure you haven't mentioned any other teams " up there?"

And DD didn't say you mentioned the right team and date...together. Suspect

Geez, Geez. How many Malbecs did you have last night?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Any guesses as to the Pilots record in their 12 non-conference games?

Pomeroy's rankings should be coming out in the next couple of days. He'll predict either an 8-4 or a 9-3 record for the Pilots given their opponents, which I think is realistic.

Related question - what is an achievable and realistic goal for this team? After seeing what USF did last year, I don't think there's any reason why this Pilots team can't grab an NIT bid with the talent that's coming back. 9-3 in non-conference, 10-8 in WCC to finish 5th, and a win in the tourney quarterfinals to end up 20-12 is perfectly reasonable for this team - and judging by last year, that would likely be enough to get into the NIT (hopefully the conference is again a two-bid league though, because I doubt the NIT takes three WCC teams).

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:31 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Any guesses as to the Pilots record in their 12 non-conference games?
Realistically, I predict 8-4:

Concordia: W
SJSU: W
SIUE: W
Nashville tourney: 1-2
PSU & OSU: 1-1
Sac State: W
UNLV: L
Montana St: W
L&C: W

That would entail 3 road wins, which would be a good achievement.

Adding a pinch more optimism in with the realism, I could see us going 2-1 in Nashville and 2-0 versus our in-state opponents. That would put us at 10-2 in non-conference.

However, I'm equally wary of a major flub against a team like SJSU or Montana St. as I am hopeful for a win over OSU or Murray St. If we can just avoid bad losses, especially at home, I can deal with the expected losses.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:34 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote: If we can just avoid bad losses, especially at home, I can deal with the expected losses.

My thoughts exactly... in the Reveno era, even in the good years, we have had some real head-scratching losses that held us back... Montana State, PSU, @LMU (I'm still bitter about that one...all we had to do was inbound the ball, they would have had to foul, and the clock would have run out... with that win, we would have claimed 2nd place in the conference and the double bye in the tourney...).

On the opposite end of the spectrum (big games), I hope that by the end of the season pre-game preparation for elimination games is addressed. Rev's record in post-season tourneys (WCC, CBI) is attrocious.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:22 pm

WCC TV schedule is out: http://portlandpilots.com/news/2014/10/23/MBB_1023144627.aspx

Key point is:
The West Coast Conference will establish yet another record this season by offering the most broadcasts in men's basketball history with every game during league play televised on a national or regional level, and/or produced for broadcast on the conference's digital network, TheW.tv.

Sixteen West Coast Conference regular season games will be broadcast on ESPN Networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU) and an additional 48 games will air on regional television through conference and school partnerships with Time Warner Cable Sports, Comcast SportsNet, ROOT Sports and BYUtv - along with the West Coast Conference Game of the Week.

As part of the West Coast Conference's long-term deal with Time Warner Cable Sports, Time Warner Cable SportsNet will produce and air a West Coast Conference Game of the Week each Saturday during WCC play. The Game of the Week will be distributed to television partners throughout the WCC footprint - up to 20 million homes in all. Those games will also be available live to WCC fans outside of school television markets for free on TheW.tv.

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:30 pm

up7587 wrote:WCC TV schedule is out: http://portlandpilots.com/news/2014/10/23/MBB_1023144627.aspx

Key point is:
The West Coast Conference will establish yet another record this season by offering the most broadcasts in men's basketball history with every game during league play televised on a national or regional level, and/or produced for broadcast on the conference's digital network, TheW.tv.

Sixteen West Coast Conference regular season games will be broadcast on ESPN Networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU) and an additional 48 games will air on regional television through conference and school partnerships with Time Warner Cable Sports, Comcast SportsNet, ROOT Sports and BYUtv - along with the West Coast Conference Game of the Week.

As part of the West Coast Conference's long-term deal with Time Warner Cable Sports, Time Warner Cable SportsNet will produce and air a West Coast Conference Game of the Week each Saturday during WCC play. The Game of the Week will be distributed to television partners throughout the WCC footprint - up to 20 million homes in all. Those games will also be available live to WCC fans outside of school television markets for free on TheW.tv.

So no 8 PM home games?  LIKE.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:19 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:So no 8 PM home games?  LIKE.
Well, not yet anyway.  We still don't know the start time for the GU game on January 3rd.

Not real pleased with the two Saturday at 1 PM games against USF and USD, but all the Women's games on Saturday are at 1 PM, so I guess we'll get used to it.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:47 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Pomeroy's rankings should be coming out in the next couple of days. He'll predict either an 8-4 or a 9-3 record for the Pilots given their opponents, which I think is realistic.

Pomeroy put out his preseason rankings tonight. Pilots ranked #121 in the nation. 17-13 overall record predicted including 9-9 in conference.

Interestingly enough, wins predicted in 10 of 12 individual non-conference games (Murray St, UNLV only predicted losses). He's got a few toss-ups in there, so rounding brings the overall non-conference prediction to 9-3.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:12 am

Although many of us may give too much credence to Pomeroy and his analysis, I believe it's still the best we have available to us.  Hey, if Coach Reveno looks at it and comments on it....it must have some validity. pirat

I have to agree, for the most part, with P's predicted order of finish in the WCC.  Without getting into a lot of details of why, this is P's predictions with WCC record:

GU (14-4)
BYU (12-6)
SMC (10-8]
USF (9-9)
USD (9-9)
UP (9-9)
SCU (8-10)
PU (7-11)
UOP (6-12)
LMU (6-12)

Interestingly, Pomeroy has UP playing USF in the Chiles Center twice....which I'm sure will give Rex something else to complain about....so a thorough analysis of P's numbers really has UP's record at 8-10 with home losses to GU and BYU and a road win over LMU.

Regardless, it's really very unpredictable at this point in the preseason....I think if P were to say "After the top two or three teams, it's pretty much a toss-up depending on which teams can stay injury free, which teams have a sudden stand-out performer, and which teams can stay together as a unit after some tough decisions go against them," it would be pretty accurate.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:53 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Without getting into a lot of details of why, this is P's predictions with WCC record:

GU (14-4)
BYU (12-6)
SMC (10-8]
USF (9-9)
USD (9-9)
UP (9-9)
SCU (8-10)
PU (7-11)
UOP (6-12)
LMU (6-12)
My predictions:
Gonzaga will NOT lose 4 conference games. Maybe 1 or 2.
I think the Pilots will finish ahead of San Diego.
Neither Pacific nor LMU will win 6 games.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:00 pm

Now that Kenpom's stuff is out, it makes it inherently easier to compare schedules and other things.

It's pretty obvious that the Pilots have the one of the easiest non-conference schedules in the WCC, with perhaps the only challenger to this being USF. 9-3 record predicted, but it shouldn't be surprising if we see this talented team overcome some of its inconsistencies from last year and head into conference play with 10 wins.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:33 pm

I thought I'd check how P did last year.

https://www.pilotnation.net/t4870-the-season-begins-pomeroy

If we do 69 points better again this year we dance.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Don't look now, but Portland St. looks like an entirely different team compared to last year.

Tonight I watched them beat USC in LA, 76-68....and it really never seemed that close.  PSU started strong and kept the pedal down in the first half before relinquishing the lead at the start of the second before pulling away.

Former Pilot Tim Douglas was excellent, but he now has a much deeper team to work with.   They've got this kid from France, Tiegbe Bamba who is a four, but could easily be a 2 or 3 with his athleticism and shooting.  He's gone to two JC's, and this is apparently his senior year, but he's a difference maker.

In a reversal of identity problems, the USC athletics website at one point wrote, "....a 17-9 spurt sent the Pilots into halftime leading...."

The win by PSU tonight apparently improved their record against Pac-12 schools to 5-48 (unless that's the Pilots' record) Rolling Eyes

Former Pilot Dorian Cason, who now looks a lot bigger than his listed 250lbs, did not play.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:45 pm

DD you are spot on, I watched as well and PSU is much better than last year. Timmy played with poise and leadership and my friend Gary Winston is healthy and looked much better than last year when he was nursing an abdominal injury. This Bamba kid is a nice player, he really carried the load on both ends of the court in this game.

December 3 will be a great game, with any luck that live stream will be up and running so those of us rooting from the frozen tundra can watch.

Is Dorian injured or just not ready?

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:16 am

pilotdad1 wrote:Is Dorian injured or just not ready?
I'm told he stretched and shot around with his teammates during the pregame. Appears to be a "coaches decision."

It's been over a year since his knee injury; I guess it's possible he's had other injuries, but I wouldn't mess with the lineup we saw last night.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next