Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Santa Clara -- Thursday 11/7

+11
gnarly
pdxjoe
uclabobby
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
estplnr
UPSoccerFanatic
A_Fan
Dan No Yell
Auto-Pilot
DoubleDipper
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Santa Clara -- Thursday 11/7 - Page 2 Empty Re: Santa Clara -- Thursday 11/7

Post by uclabobby Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:44 pm

So that ESPN article by Graham Hays implies that a 3-way tie would end up in tiebreaker scenarios (which I read elsewhere Portland can't win), but the ESPNU announcers it would be a flat-out 3-way co-championship. They are apparently going to talk about that at the half.

Edit: I understand now: The tiebreaker will determine the automatic seed, but they will still be co-champs.

uclabobby
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by pdxjoe Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:03 pm

PILOT'S WIN 3-1 bounce bounce Very Happy cheers 
pdxjoe
pdxjoe
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by pdxjoe Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 pm

great job by the ESPN crew on the telecast.
could not make game Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad  boo hoo
pdxjoe
pdxjoe
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by pdxjoe Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:53 pm

For those who missed the game or who can't sleep at night ESPN Watch will re-air the game tomorrow(Friday) at 1PM PST . To watch go to ESPN Watch select the upcoming tab and select the game.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/

EDIT -  The time is 1AM PST not 1 PM PST. About an hour and twenty minutes from now.

Last edited by pdxjoe on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
pdxjoe
pdxjoe
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Best game I've seen from the Pilots for a few years. Showed SCU how to play possession soccer. The frosh showed maturity beyond their years. This moves UP into #16 ARPI and in good position for seed.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Still smiling.

That's about as complete a game as I have seen this Pilot team play all year, and just at the right time. They showed they can do this several times this year, most notably the first half against Wake, but there was no letup coming out of the half this time.

Great game to watch, Santa Clara is a very good team, but UP was better all across the board this time.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Great game to watch, Santa Clara is a very good team, but UP was better all across the board this time.
Totally agree, Geez.  

I really, really liked SCU's players....strong and physical, and usually able to score at will....but tonight UP was without a doubt the superior TEAM!

If I remember the rules on such things, if there is a 3-way tie for first in the WCC (BYU, SCU, UP)...SCU will win the automatic bid based on number of goals scored in league play....is that right?

(Disappointed at the number of no-show fans tonight....if they stayed home to watch the Ducks and Cardinal on TV....they were probably disappointed too.  Razz )
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:16 am

Um.. There was another game across town as well.

The auto bid doesn't mean a lot. Yes, SCU will get it if the three teams in out Saturday.

But I think UP gets the tiebreaker against SCU if they are compared against SCU for a seed.

Right now UP is 16, SCU is 15 in the adjusted RPI, but We win the head to head, common opponents, and wins of top 25 teams comparisons.

Both teams are very closet to being seeded.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:52 am

WOW!
Kurle played the best I have ever seen her play.
McClusky was a monster.
Everyone gave it everything.

Did anyone see the foul that lead to the PK?
Does anyone know why the one goal was waved off?
I saw that play well and saw no offsides or fouling.

I broke my vow not to yell at the refs. Lots of fun yelling at them, but except for a few mystery calls I thought they did a good job. To be honest, I only question the mystery calls because they didn't go my way.

We played great for 90 minutes.
Santa Clara folded, in the 2nd half of the second, under the bright lights of Merlo Field and ESPN.

I'm hoping to see everyone play on Saturday.

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:03 am

Portland next concludes the regular season against San Francisco on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at Merlo Field. UP will celebrate senior day on Saturday and the Pilots will honor Sarah Bridges, Kaila Cameli, Micaela Capelle, Michelle Cruz, Erin Dees, Nichole Downing, Amanda Frisbie and Ellen Parker with a pre-game ceremony. wrote:
Downing?

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:26 am

It was a wonderful game to watch. The team really put it all together for 90 minutes. Santa Clara did get worn down by the end of the game from all the chasing they had to do, their defenders were having a hard time keeping up with the Pilots by the end.

Downing is a senior so is eligible to graduate. It is a mystery why she would pass up a chance to be the starting keeper next year. She obviously has her reasons.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by keeper Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:25 am

A great night all around:
Tree topples Ducks, Timbers advance and the Pilots win.

Very impressive showing against a good team. SC's forwards were a handful and the defense did a great job. Offensively, it was fun to watch the Pilots passing in tight quarters. As the ESPN announcer passed on, Garrett said the team was playing very well and that it was not a good time for other teams to play them. They certainly look like a team that could do some damage to tournament seedings if they continue.

Watching the replays of the foul leading to the PK, it was somewhat questionable. Even the announcer commented that it probably shouldn't have been called. She did agree with the call that negated Evans' goal. That one looked like it could have gone either way to me, but I'm sure some Pilot bias may contribute to that sentiment.

keeper
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by purple inside Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:01 am

Great defense all game (how frustrated was Marlborough?), and the best possession we've seen. The Pilots out-teamworked some amazing players.

The PK looked like a hard foul in the box. At home, with the advantage of replays - and from ONE of the upper camera angles - it's clear Boon came in just after Julie Johnston passed the ball, planted her foot, and JJ landed on top of it, twisting her ankle or knee. Not a foul, but it did look like a late tackle at speed, during the game. Boon had an amazing game too - I feel like we saw her raise her game to another level.

purple inside
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jc Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:28 am

It's often fun to read the story on the opponent's web site after a UP victory. Am I wrong, or is this not at least the third time, maybe more, that our fans have been described this year as "hostile"?

http://www.santaclarabroncos.com/sports/w-soccer/2013-14/releases/20131108rtm52p
jc
jc
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:48 am

jc wrote:It's often fun to read the story on the opponent's web site after a UP victory. Am I wrong, or is this not at least the third time, maybe more, that our fans have been described this year as "hostile"?

http://www.santaclarabroncos.com/sports/w-soccer/2013-14/releases/20131108rtm52p
Vocal might be a better word. But, the squad does try to give players on their side a hard time. Ordinarily within bounds of propriety, although I once told one who was over the top to cut it out. And ordinarily, the players on the receiving end get a kick out if at and even motivated. I think Kate Markgraf mentioned during the broadcast that when she played, she loved playing in this kind of "vocal" atmosphere.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:10 pm

We sat the student side, as we often do.
They can be rough and rude.
Last night, during a throw in, toward the end of the game, near the drum squad, frustrated SC player was complaining to the security guard who was ignoring her. I couldn't figure out what she was complaining about. In retrospect she probably didn't like that there flags and half naked men crowding her (in her opinion). It was a sign of how much we took them out of their game. I think a focused player wouldn't have noticed. A smart player would have gotten the ball quickly into play when her team was down 2 goals and time was running out. What did she think a part time, glorified usher was going to do?

I have to think that most teams love coming to Merlo. Which is more demoralizing; playing in front 1,000s of hostile fans on a first class field with first class facilities or playing on a hard caked weed encrusted lot in front of a few bored parents? (OK, SCU has comparatively good facilities and attendance, but still.)

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Dan No Yell wrote:

I have to think that most teams love coming to Merlo. Which is more demoralizing; playing in front 1,000s of hostile fans on a first class field with first class facilities or playing on a hard caked weed encrusted lot in front of a few bored parents? (OK, SCU has comparatively good facilities and attendance, but still.)
Several coaches, including UNC, FSU, and Texas, have commented on the great atmosphere at Merlo and Dorance even said he wished his fans were like that.

For the record, last year's attendance at Santa Clara was 692 for the rivalry game.
I'll bet a pretty good chunk of that was Pilot fans.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto-Pilot Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Fantastic effort by the Pilots! I thought their best execution of the season was in the first half against Wake Forest, but this was as good and for the full 90! I can't think of a single Pilot on the field who did not contribute and exert optimal effort! Special recognition to Ellen Parker and Danica (who battled all night), Micaela (who logged many miles & had two assists), Dees (who had multiple crucial saves!) and the defense (who stymied a potent offense). Congrats!

Let's hope they stay focused and build on this in the game on Sat.

Many ex-players spotted at the game - Ellie, Keelin, Dani, Kassie.
Auto-Pilot
Auto-Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-10-04

https://www.facebook.com/casero

Back to top Go down

Post by purplehaze Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:13 pm

As others have said, this was perhaps the best performance from a Pilots side that I have seen in the last three years, with the exception of the first half of Wake Forest, though I think I could make a case that this trumps that. I actually stayed up until 1 am and then watched the entire game on tv. It was beautiful. The commentator who was a former SCU player talked about the hostile environment four times. Really? SCU choked and Portland continues to grow each week. Frisbee's header off the corner, LaProvatte's emergence as a consistent scorer, the defensive line, Ellie (is she really a freshman? She reminds me of Stephanie Lopez the way she goes forward. Lorielle has come into her own. I love it when Sippel comes in. She makes things happen. Parkes, Ariel, Allison, Danica, Rebekah, Ellen, Amanda all amazing last night. And Dees!!! The only goal was a PK. Not bad. Not bad at all.

purplehaze
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:15 am

Dan No Yell wrote:Downing?
Yep....she's graduating; it's time for her to get on with her life beyond soccer.

(confirmed by Garrett)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next