Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

San Diego Thursday 10/24

+6
Dan No Yell
OldePilot
A_Fan
VillaGorilla
DoubleDipper
UPSoccerFanatic
10 posters

Go down

San Diego Thursday 10/24 - Page 2 Empty Re: San Diego Thursday 10/24

Post by ejjqb Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Much of what we say in this forum is influenced by the excellent quality that we are using as our standard. Too often we forget that each year is a new set of faces and there are not that many Milbretts, McMillans, Sinclairs, Rapinoes, Enyarts out there for the Pilots to attract. But that is the standard against which we compare current players, some excellent Pilot players, nevertheless. As some of us discussed during the game, we got too accustomed to the 6-0 scores a few years back. No one wins that way any more.

As soccer gets more TV time, we have been exposed to some very good announcers and some not so good. However, they have all been professional announcers, as pointed out, but even that doesn't make them good. Our Pilot announcers do not have this as their primary means of income, probably no income at all, but they do bring their true love of our Pilots to the broadcasts, which are as good as some network productions, regardless of their sometimes diversions. Appreciate them for what they do, tolerate their idiosyncrasies if necessary, and, if you must, just watch and not listen, as suggested. As we have all seen with opponents' productions, we are extremely lucky and should be thanking all involved, especially the athletic department.

By the way, pretty good effort on the field and great to see Noel's ability to finish the break away and Ellen's left-footed shot into the net. And Emily's near score with the rocket from outside the box. And it was great to see Amanda performing so well after what we saw last week. Now, let's support these ladies with numbers against BYU.

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:23 pm

This is great.......

When I first saw the post complaining about UP’s two wonderful soccer commentators, it really made me angry and somewhat dismayed knowing all the work and effort that goes into each broadcast.  But then it dawned on me, the person making the post was just someone who was not fully informed making a personal observation.  This is typical of most public forums and is allowed.  After all, we Americans do revel in our right to free speech.

But now, after reading so many heart-felt responses to the original post, and seeing how passionate so many are about the work done by Adam and Angela and the UP staff, I’m glad for the original post.  It’s truly wonderful to see so many PN posters (including one’s first ever post on PN) come to the defense of the BEST overall video production in collegiate soccer.

I attend most Pilots soccer games, and while sitting on the cold aluminum seats (no, they're not acutally fur lined, Stoney), will have my tablet tuned to the game for the replays and the explanations and insights from Adam and Angela….you won’t see me doing that at the basketball games because the announcer cannot offer anywhere near the same level of insight.

And as for the occasional “homer” comments.....I would hope so, it is after all a HOME game!!

Yes indeed, “Stay Rad Ang and Adam.”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:28 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I attend most Pilots soccer games, and while sitting on the cold aluminum seats (no, they're not acutally fur lined, Stoney), will have my tablet tuned to the game for the replays and the explanations and insights from Adam and Angela….you won’t see me doing that at the basketball games because the announcer cannot offer anywhere near the same level of insight.

No need at BBall games, as your nearby seatmates provide such sterling analysis and commentary. Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:13 pm

I've only been able to skim the last dozen posts, but let me just repost something I wrote here on Nov 5, 2010 without further comment:

VillaGorilla wrote:To summarize, we have premier facilities, a juggernaut program with exceptional student-athletes, the biggest fan base, and the best game-day atmosphere, but our expectations have been driven so high that the free video feed UP offers is being citicized for the commentary provided by the two amateur commentators. There isn't a single program in the country that wouldn't love to have our problems.

For those looking for professional commentary, set the alarm clock on the weekend and watch the EPL. This is a video feed and the announcers don't need to say every little thing that happens. It's not radio.

If you don't like the commentary, please feel free to mute it.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down