Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 23 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27 ... 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 23 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:00 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:And this is by position from NPN a couple of pages back...I'm going on the premise that both Porters will be on scholarship until the roster reaches more than 13 players.
NoPoNeighbor wrote:2017-18 PROJECTED ROSTER
Scholarship players in regular font
Presumed walk-ons in italics
Presumed sitting transfer in (parentheses)

PG: Walker, M. Porter, (Clark)
SG: Tyson, Jackson, F. Porter
SF: Fahrensohn, McSwiggan
PF: Stone, Diabate, Hogland
C: Hartwich, Smoyer

Updated.  I think I got it right. Sr: Hartwich & Tyson; Jr: Jackson & Stone; So: F.Porter, McSwiggan & Smoyer; Fr: M.Porter, Walker, Fahrensohn, Diabate & Hogland.  And Clark sitting out with two to play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Yeah... it seems like Clark would be a perfect candidate for a 6th year medical hardship waiver. I wonder if he has already received it, or is in the process of applying for it?

Anyway, just for fun... here's the current roster outlook, which assumes a 6th year for Clark:

2017 Recruiting - Page 23 Depthc10

I should note... given the unique situation with the Porters and the possibility of them being walk-ons, two more players could still conceivably be added to this.

I will try to update it as we get new commits.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Now to find out if any incoming frosh will redshirt.

Where does this leave us scholarshipwise?

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Our good friend, the credible Nick Daschel relates the circumstances of Crisshawn's eligibility:

"The 6-foot-4 Clark has two years of eligibility remaining, one that he'll use up sitting out next season due to transfer rules. But it's likely Clark will gain an additional year of eligibility because of long-standing medical issues."

Link to article: http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2017/04/pitt_transfer_crisshawn_clark.html#incart_river_index

Given the years of education, I assume that Crisshawn will earn a degree while at the U and be eligible to transfer for his 6th year under the graduate transfer rules without having to sit out.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Not really a recruiting question, but with all of our transfers this year, how will that impact APR?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:27 pm

wrv wrote:Our good friend, the credible Nick Daschel relates the circumstances of Crisshawn's eligibility:

"The 6-foot-4 Clark has two years of eligibility remaining, one that he'll use up sitting out next season due to transfer rules. But it's likely Clark will gain an additional year of eligibility because of long-standing medical issues."

Link to article: http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2017/04/pitt_transfer_crisshawn_clark.html#incart_river_index

Given the years of education, I assume that Crisshawn will earn a degree while at the U and be eligible to transfer for his 6th year under the graduate transfer rules without having to sit out.

Nick finished his article with this comment:
It's possible Portland could land as many as two more players during the current signing period. Among players the Pilots are recruiting are Marcus Shaver, an all-state guard from Phoenix, and Georgia prep star Ty Cockfield.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Just to tie a ribbon on the speculation....

Crisshawn will sit next year due to NCAA transfers rules, and the compliance folks at UP will ask for a waiver so he can get a sixth year of eligibility....which from what I'm told, should be a no brainer.

So, the expectation is Crisshawn will spend 3 years at UP....one sitting and two playing.

As for graduating and transferring...well, that would have to be another discussion.

To say the coaching staff is REALLY happy with this signing would be an understatement!! Twisted Evil "A steal" is a phrase I've heard.

(We need to find out if he uses his entire first name or prefers, "Shawn" as he uses for his twitter handle.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11214
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:40 pm

Up7587 wrote:Not really a recruiting question, but with all of our transfers this year, how will that impact APR?

Shouldn't affect it at all, as long as the players that left had made sufficient progress towards a degree. It measures the team's progress towards a degree each year of enrollment. That would remain essentially the same whether they left or stayed.

It could, however affect the GSR, especially the federal one, depending on what those players do academically by the end of the sixth year after they enrolled.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I should note... given the unique situation with the Porters and the possibility of them being walk-ons, two more players could still conceivably be added to this.
Excellent chart, Stoney, your graduate degree has obviously upped your quality of work and you've now put a lot of pressure on NPN when it comes to chart/list making.  Razz

The Pilots will definitely be signing at least one more (and possibly two) because the team is still short one point guard.  

Waiting on Shaver for now, but doubt they'll be able to wait much longer.  Shaver is playing in a NCAA sanctioned event in Las Vegas during the coming final weekend of the spring evaluation period....so something should be known after that.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:18 pm

wrv wrote:Welcome Crisshawn.

Pretty impressive recruiting from Porter and staff.
Apparently hot out of the backroom at the Chiles Center:

BTW, I learned that Clark answers to both Crisshawn and Shawn... Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:57 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Waiting on Shaver for now, but doubt they'll be able to wait much longer.
With the academic scandal and the firing of the head coach at South Florida, there have been so many defections the school's website does not even list any players.....just coaches.

One transfer from South Florida that UP once recruited, 6-8 Malik Fitts, is now going to St. Mary's to sit a year before playing three.

Another player who will also sit one and play three is Mike Bibby, Jr. who, like Marcus Shaver, played for Mike Bibby, Sr. at Shadow Mountain High School before graduating in 2016.  Mike Jr. would not be eligible this coming season, but he would sure be an impact player if the Pilots were to recruit him.

If memory serves me, I believe Coach Porter was Miike Bibby's coach with the Kings, and Coach Cantu worked with Jr's grandfather, Henry, at USC.

I don't know how many degrees of separation you call that, but it would seem the Pilots could have their foot in the door if he's a guy UP wants.  
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:59 pm

A few more details in the UP release:

Pitt Transfer Crisshawn Clark Signs with Portland Pilots

Men's Basketball
Posted: 4/25/2017 3:53:00 PM

PORTLAND, Ore. – Pitt transfer Crisshawn Clark is the latest player to sign with the Portland men's basketball program, head coach Terry Porter announced on Tuesday.  Clark (6-4, 210) will sit out the 2017-18 season due to NCAA transfer rules and then will have the possibility for two years of eligibility with the Pilots thereafter.

A versatile scoring combo guard, Clark missed last season with a knee injury and will rehab during the upcoming season with Portland's medical staff in preparation for the 2018-19 season. Due to his medical history, Clark and the Pilots can apply to the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility for the 2019-20 season.

A prep standout at Wayne High School near Dayton, Ohio, Clark had a breakout 2014-15 campaign at Cañada College in San Mateo, Calif. before missing the 2015-16 season due to injury. He chose Pitt over reported offers from Oregon, Saint Mary's and Nevada and was prepared for an impactful season in the Atlantic Coast Conference last year.

"We are thrilled to have a player of Crisshawn's talents join our program," Porter said. "Before his injury, he distinguished himself as an ACC-caliber player with Pittsburgh. He is a mature kid that fit in well with our team and staff during his visit. Crisshawn brings a lot of toughness to our program. He is a player that has good skills at both ends of the court and we are excited for him to finish out his college career as a member of the Pilot family."

Clark earned 2015 Nor Cal Freshman of the Year honors after leading the Cañada College to a 24-7 record and an appearance in the CCCAA state semifinals. He averaged 15.0 points, 5.2 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game while reaching double figures 26 times and scoring 20 or more points in eight games. Clark shot 47.2 percent from the field and 35.6 percent from three-point range. He earned All-CCCAA First Team honors and was named to the All-Tournament Team during Cañada's run to the state semifinals.

"I am excited to see Crisshawn find a home at the University of Portland," Cañada College head coach Mike Reynoso said. "Portland has an extremely good staff and a program on the rise. I know Portland is getting a great player in Crisshawn and he will make an immediate impact as soon as he gets on campus. Crisshawn is extremely versatile. He is a high IQ player who can do everything on the floor. He can score from everywhere on the court with his three-point range, mid-range game, and the ability to finish at the rim. Most importantly he is a competitor and will bring leadership and toughness to the Pilots."

Clark played high school basketball in a talent-rich area of Ohio and was prep teammates with current NBA and former Michigan State standout, Travis Trice. He helped Wayne High School to a pair of district championship appearances and averaged 11.1 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game as a senior.

Clark is the seventh member of Portland's 2017 recruiting class that currently features four incoming freshmen and two junior college transfers. Portland signed four players early in a group was rated the No. 17 class in the nation and the top mid-major recruiting class after the November signing period by the Hoop Scoop.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:08 pm

I assume that Clark accompanied the coaching staff to last night's Blazers/Warriors game, and saw Coach Porter receive a huge ovation from the sellout crowd. Good recruiting tactic!

https://twitter.com/kramerknutson/status/856715114073825280

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:35 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I assume that Clark accompanied the coaching staff to last night's Blazers/Warriors game, and saw Coach Porter receive a huge ovation from the sellout crowd. Good recruiting tactic!

https://twitter.com/kramerknutson/status/856715114073825280

Too easy. He should have been shooting from three!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:58 pm

blacksheep wrote:Too easy.  He should have been shooting from three!
But face it, that was way-cool the way TP, while sporting his UP gear, calmly netted those free-throws.

No wonder none of the Pilots shoot underhanded free-throws ala-Rick Berry (even though some should try it), Coach Porter makes it look too easy shooting in the traditional manner.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:44 pm

At some point the Pilots showed interest in an Aussie 7 footer now committed to San Diego.

In the linked article, Andrew Ferguson mentions the Pilots as "could be up there."

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/young-perth-giant-sets-his-sights-on-the-nba-20170321-gv3094.html

Given the Pilots reluctance to offer other bigs, I suspect no offer was ultimately conveyed, but I speculate.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:23 pm

wrv wrote:Given the Pilots reluctance to offer other bigs, I suspect no offer was ultimately conveyed, but I speculate.
You're right on target there, wrv. The staff is being very deliberate and conservative in their approach to recruiting, and are only offering a scholarship when all the coaches are in agreement on a recruit.

I believe Ferguson was scouted in Perth, and as you speculated, it is my understanding no offer was made.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:33 am

Is New Mexico pulling out of the Marcus Shaver sweepstakes?

"Former Akron Zips guard Antino Jackson informed FanRag Sports on Wednesday that he has committed to the New Mexico Lobos as a grad transfer.

Jackson, a 5-foot-11, 160-pound guard, tied for fourth on the Zips roster last season with 8.8 points per game. He also chipped in with 2.2 rebounds and 33 total steals over 23:26 minutes. Jackson and the Zips finished atop the MAC with a 27-9 clip thanks to 77.0 points per contest

His best season was arguably the 2015-16 one, when Jackson collected 11.6 points, 3.4 assists and 3.1 rebounds per contest. He shot a career high from both the 3-point line (35.3 percent) and charity stripe (81.5 percent)."

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/rothstein-akron-grad-transfer-antino-jackson-commits-new-mexico/

Not sure the Pilots are in the Pilot driver seat regarding Shaver . . .but the Lobos recruiting another player at Shaver's position should not hurt Pilot chances.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:40 am

wrv wrote:Not sure the Pilots are in the Pilot driver seat regarding Shaver . . .but the Lobos recruiting another player at Shaver's position should not hurt Pilot chances.
Not sure either, but I understand Coach Porter will be in Las Vegas this weekend to keep an eye on Shaver and other potential recruits during a "recruiting" tournament there.

Unless there are some late transfer announcements where a point guard can come to UP and play immediately, it looks like the Pilots will have all freshmen point guards next season, and that includes at least two combo-guards.

1. JoJo (pg)
2. Taki (combo)
3. Malcolm (combo)
4. Unknown (pg/combo transfer or freshman)

A very steep learning curve to come from high school to D1, but it's been done....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:54 am

StudentPilot wrote:
up7587 wrote:Do we have information on when our various new recruits will be on campus, and what team building activities the staff will be implementing?  With so many new players, there will be a lot of work to do in that area.  I wonder who the team leaders will be; which players will set the tone for workouts, etc.
The first day of summer school is May 15 this year.  From what I recall hearing, the only players that will not be in school that early are Hugh and JoJo because they will still be in high school....but they will show up in time to begin second summer session on June 26.
I realize it's not the way things are normally done here, but instead of speculating who would or would not be in summer school, I asked! Razz

It turns out the only new players here for the first summer session are Taki, Austin, and Tahirou....and all the players will be on board for second session.

The second session shouldn't affect the overseas tour that DD speculated on, as there are three full weeks between the second session and the beginning of the fall term....August 4th through August 28....although freshman should be on campus for orientation before classes begin.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:21 pm

Someone had a big weekend in Las Vegas...

@ArizonaPreps wrote:After his performance this weekend, I am convinced that unsigned senior point guard Marcus Shaver is the best available prospect in the West

@JuliusVElite wrote:Impressive Day 1 of Camp for 2017 Marcus Shaver. HM 6'2 Point Guard that is available. Made HUGE progress in last couple months #KingofKings

@JuliusVElite wrote:The talk of the camp! 2017 Marcus Shaver 6'2 PG Shadow Mountain incredible change of speed. 2nd level pull up! HM Prospect #KingofKings

@ArizonaPreps wrote:Shadow Mountain HS unsigned senior guard Marcus Shaver is electric! Just watched one of the best performances I have seen @ Vegas WCE Event

@ArizonaPreps wrote:Shadow Mountain HS 6-foot-1 unsigned senior point guard Marcus Shaver is putting on an absolute show in Ryan Silver's unsigned senior event.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon May 01, 2017 11:31 am

If only there was a program that needed a PG that was also coached by an NBA guard and legend.....

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon May 01, 2017 2:19 pm

And of course, there is now a tweet to the effect that Marcus Shaver is "available" notwithstanding the Pilot offer and many other offers, New Mexico likely included. Given the amount of time that has elapsed since his visit to the U and since the offer from Porter and staff, given the fact that Marcus is likely seeking additional offers by playing in the unsigned high school and JUCO player show case, it does not bode well for the Pilot chances of gaining his services, even if our coach is a highly respected former NBA player.

I am not sure of the source of the information that Marcus is "available," but if true his status speaks to the value Marcus places on our offer.

https://twitter.com/JuliusVElite/status/858800965956157440

No doubt the Pilots are considering their options, but ending the haul here rather than offering someone incapable of holding the position should be considered.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon May 01, 2017 4:52 pm

You can speculate all you want about the desires of a kid. Maybe he doesn't want the UP offer? But, he has every right to hold out and advertise in case he lands an offer from a P5 or Big East type school.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon May 01, 2017 5:00 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:You can speculate all you want about the desires of a kid. Maybe he doesn't want the UP offer? But, he has every right to hold out and advertise in case he lands an offer from a P5 or Big East type school.

Who was referring to his right to do anything? I did not think his "right" was at issue, never raised. The discussion is an educated guess, arguably beyond speculation. So good for him if he gets a P5 offer, but I am a Pilot fan, pure and simple and that is the basketball team I root for the majority of the time.

You can root for whomever you want if you can remember whose board you are on. . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27 ... 32  Next