Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Local media

+2
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
6 posters

Go down

Local media Empty Local media

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:30 pm

KGW News 8  just had a short clip of the Pilots shooting PK's at a News caster and promised more this evening.

Hopefully, they will have an archived story on the web as well

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Local media Empty Re: Local media

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:18 pm

I assume you mean this: http://www.kgw.com/community/blogs/drew-carney/2013-University-of-Portland-Womens-Soccer-Team-224898802.html
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:28 pm

yeah, that was it.

I have more range than that.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:26 pm

KPTV did a piece on Ariel and Parkes last night. enjoy

http://www.kptv.com/video?clipId=9385944&autostart=true
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:01 am

my neighbor went out of town and asked me to get the paper off her porch, so I looked at the O's sports page to see if they had soccer games listed for today.

The good news is they did for Women's soccer -- UCLA v. Cal and USC v. Stanford.

No Oregon teams were listed.

It doesn't make me feel so bad I dropped my subscription.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:08 am

Yes, according to the Oregonian, games aren't happening unless they are on TV.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:54 am

The funny part is that the section was mostly white space. They could have fit three times the games in.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:13 am

A.  Do you really think soccer fans need a listing in any newspaper to know when their favorite team is playing?  I've never heard of anyone missing a Pilots game (or Concordia, or Lewis & Clark, or Pacific, etc.) because it wasn't listed in the paper

B.  It would seem to me that if a game of any sport is televised we'd want to know the time and channel so we have the opportunity to record it....my source for that is the newspaper.

C.  The post-game reporting of the women's games in the next day's Oregonian has been pretty good beginning with the Wake Forest game; including yesterday's game in Malibu.

D.  Not defending the Oregonian or any other (news)paper....just attempting to give a "fair and balanced" view. Wink
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:23 am

DoubleDipper wrote:A.  Do you really think soccer fans need a listing in any newspaper to know when their favorite team is playing?  I've never heard of anyone missing a Pilots game (or Concordia, or Lewis & Clark, or Pacific, etc.) because it wasn't listed in the paper

B.  It would seem to me that if a game of any sport is televised we'd want to know the time and channel so we have the opportunity to record it....my source for that is the newspaper.

C.  The post-game reporting of the women's games in the next day's Oregonian has been pretty good beginning with the Wake Forest game; including yesterday's game in Malibu.

D.  Not defending the Oregonian or any other (news)paper....just attempting to give a "fair and balanced" view. Wink
I'll play :

A) do you think any Oregon fans need the newspaper to know when the Ducks are playing football? I wonder if they would miss a game also, but that doesn't seem to enter into any equation. It is not relevant.

B) my source for tv broadcast listings is my service provider. knowing that the PAC12 network is showing a UCLA women's soccer game does no good if almost no providers in Oregon actually carry the game or network. Three of the D1 soccer teams ( two of them PAC12) hosted LOCAL games with no coverage whatever.

C) how was today's coverage of the Pepperdine game? Nothing on line or in the digital edition when I looked. The whole push to online coverage is a joke anyway. When I try to watch the video on how to use the digital edition on an iPad, it crashes.
<edit> I see there now is an article at the bottom of a page in the digital edition, but when I try to view it, it won't scroll past the first five lines. I guess half a story is better than none.

D) you sound like you are advocating. The O was much better at providing coverage of local sports in the past. They used to have a reporter at every game. In 2005, they had two and three and people read the stories with gusto.

Since their cutbacks and downsizing at the behest of some conglomerate they have failed miserably. It isn't just the Pilots. There are people all over the state interested in the most popular sport in America now.   There is more to sports than Ducks and Beavers football.  The O is rapidly becoming irrelevant, if they haven't already gotten there.

And media coverage does affect attendance. The 2005 ND game sold out in Six minutes on line because of it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Good to know the Oregonian is still publishing. Smile 

Last time I saw the paper the coverage of the out of town games were uncredited reprints from the Pilots web site.

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Why doesn't the Oregonian list the games that are being streamed online so we can watch them? That is becoming very common these days, but they don't provide that information.

If you read the game recaps that Adam Linnman writes and posts on the Pilots soccer websites (Men and Women) you will notice that the vast majority of what you read in the Oregonian is just copied from Adam's posts - word for word. They are not sending reporters to the games.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:21 pm

A_Fan wrote:If you read the game recaps that Adam Linnman writes and posts on the Pilots soccer websites (Men and Women) you will notice that the vast majority of what you read in the Oregonian is just copied from Adam's posts - word for word.
Yes, there is no doubt about that.....

With the Oregonian staff cuts, they just surf the web for stories like the rest of us.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:35 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:With the Oregonian staff cuts, they just surf the web for stories like the rest of us.
Well, the intrepid SID staff at UP actually sends those recaps out as press releases... don't think the Oregonian staffers are Googling for them. Wink

On this topic as a whole, as frustrating as it can be for us, that's the reality of today's media landscape. The big fish get all the attention, and the minnows battle over the scraps. This is true in sports, in business, in politics... getting any sort of media attention is a difficult challenge.

But instead of wringing hands, I think you'll find that our athletic department is extremely proactive about getting its message out there using whatever means it has available to it. Video highlights, blog posts, feature stories, social media, the website, etc... the UP athletic department does a tremendous job of producing its own content and not relying on the media to do it for them.

It's a whole new world out there, and I think that our athletic department is doing as good a job as pretty much anyone else out there.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Stonehouse wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:With the Oregonian staff cuts, they just surf the web for stories like the rest of us.
Well, the intrepid SID staff at UP actually sends those recaps out as press releases... don't think the Oregonian staffers are Googling for them.  Wink

On this topic as a whole, as frustrating as it can be for us, that's the reality of today's media landscape. The big fish get all the attention, and the minnows battle over the scraps. This is true in sports, in business, in politics... getting any sort of media attention is a difficult challenge.

But instead of wringing hands, I think you'll find that our athletic department is extremely proactive about getting its message out there using whatever means it has available to it. Video highlights, blog posts, feature stories, social media, the website, etc... the UP athletic department does a tremendous job of producing its own content and not relying on the media to do it for them.

It's a whole new world out there, and I think that our athletic department is doing as good a job as pretty much anyone else out there.
Good points, Stoney, but they only support my point that the O and other media outlets only belong in history. The climate is one where media have to compete  for attention, and they arent doing a good job. The UP SID office are going to have to create their own outlets.

Yes, UP does do a good job, but it is folly to claim they get help from traditional media. It is dead or dying.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down