Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland-Missouri, September 15

+5
DoubleDipper
My2cents
UPSoccerFanatic
Geezaldinho
PurplePrideTrumpet
9 posters

Go down

Portland-Missouri, September 15 - Page 2 Empty Re: Portland-Missouri, September 15

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:25 pm

Dan No Yell wrote:

Another question, when there is a foul Portland tends to put the ball in play as fast as possible, rather than setting up a set play. Good idea?
One of those quick starts led directly to a goal when Frisbie quick started to Cruz who centered the ball to ...? ( sheepishly forgets who finished).Embarassed 
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Portland-Missouri, September 15 - Page 2 Empty Re: Portland-Missouri, September 15

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
Dan No Yell wrote:

Another question, when there is a foul Portland tends to put the ball in play as fast as possible, rather than setting up a set play. Good idea?
One of those quick starts led directly to a goal when Frisbie quick started to Cruz who centered the ball to ...? ( sheepishly forgets who finished).Embarassed 
First one was Sippel from Evans at the end of a counter, second one was Capelle after Elmer's shot was saved, third one was Kendrick making a run from midfield and laying off for Capelle.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:15 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:
Dan No Yell wrote:

First one was Sippel from Evans at the end of a counter, second one was Capelle after Elmer's shot was saved, third one was Kendrick making a run from midfield and laying off for Capelle.
(sigh) Nevada game winner

On a free kick shortly after the opening kickoff, Amanda Frisbie went with a quick re-start to Michelle Cruz just inside the left edge of the 18. Cruz took a couple of touches before sending a low ball into the box. Parker got a touch on the pass, re-directing it to Wetherington, who did the rest by burying a shot into the back of the net.

Portlandpilots.com
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:34 pm

The question about quick re-starts and an earlier comment about the Pilots putting two halves together are prompting me to comment on strategy.  This year, more than I can remember in a long time, the Pilots are playing with a very high speed of play and are moving the ball relentlessly and continuously around the field.  This kind of soccer is a "full game" strategy.  Much of the first half is spent forcing the opposition to chase as much as possible.  Over the course of a game this wears the opposition down and spaces begin to open up in the second half.  The first half is not going to be as successful from a possession and goal scoring perspective because the opposition is fresh for the early part and still has energy at the end of the half.  The Pilots will lose the ball more in the first half and make more seemingly errant passes because the opposition is quicker and has more energy.  But later in the second half, the opposition gets tired and can't do as much.  That is when the Pilots are going to score most of their goals.

I don't think I've ever seen this more clearly than against Missouri.  I remember remarking to my neighbor fans, in the first half, that the Missouri defenders were going to be wiped out by late in the second half.  By the last "quarter," the Missouri defenders were out of gas.  I was watching their left side defender, #4, who did a great job contesting the ball in the first half.  By the last quarter, she was backing off, hoping like heck that they wouldn't take another run against her.  I particularly was watching her when the ball was away from her part of the field.  She looked like she was praying for the game to be over ASAP.

So, I think the Pilots put together two good halves (with a mishap in each half) against Missouri. The Pilots looked better in the second half, but it was in large part because Missouri was more tired. Plus, one reason for quick restarts is to keep up the relentless pressure and requirement that the Missouri defenders run around the field without getting time to rest. One reason to foul is get time to recover. Quick restarts don't allow that time.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:28 am

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:The question about quick re-starts and an earlier comment about the Pilots putting two halves together are prompting me to comment on strategy.  This year, more than I can remember in a long time, the Pilots are playing with a very high speed of play and are moving the ball relentlessly and continuously around the field.  This kind of soccer is a "full game" strategy.  Much of the first half is spent forcing the opposition to chase as much as possible.  Over the course of a game this wears the opposition down and spaces begin to open up in the second half.  The first half is not going to be as successful from a possession and goal scoring perspective because the opposition is fresh for the early part and still has energy at the end of the half.  The Pilots will lose the ball more in the first half and make more seemingly errant passes because the opposition is quicker and has more energy.  But later in the second half, the opposition gets tired and can't do as much.  That is when the Pilots are going to score most of their goals.

I don't think I've ever seen this more clearly than against Missouri.  I remember remarking to my neighbor fans, in the first half, that the Missouri defenders were going to be wiped out by late in the second half.  By the last "quarter," the Missouri defenders were out of gas.  I was watching their left side defender, #4, who did a great job contesting the ball in the first half.  By the last quarter, she was backing off, hoping like heck that they wouldn't take another run against her.  I particularly was watching her when the ball was away from her part of the field.  She looked like she was praying for the game to be over ASAP.

I like the possession play from this group. It will only lead to better things in the future!
So, I think the Pilots put together two good halves (with a mishap in each half) against Missouri.  The Pilots looked better in the second half, but it was in large part because Missouri was more tired.  Plus, one reason for quick restarts is to keep up the relentless pressure and requirement that the Missouri defenders run around the field without getting time to rest.  One reason to foul is get time to recover.  Quick restarts don't allow that time.
I have to agree with you. My wife and I were watching from home. We commented on a couple of their defenders looking gassed. The one that was injured, we were also saying that we thought she just needed a stoppage to get her wind. I am not saying she was not injured, just that the stoppage would help her get her wind back.

Last edited by Indigo Kid on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My reply was placed by me in the middle of the quote)
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down