Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nevada 9/13 @ Merlo @ 7:00 pm

+9
A_Fan
Auto-Pilot
ejjqb
jc
Harry Redknapp
Geezaldinho
Dan No Yell
Indigo Kid
UPSoccerFanatic
13 posters

Go down

Nevada 9/13 @ Merlo @ 7:00 pm Empty Nevada 9/13 @ Merlo @ 7:00 pm

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Here is some basic information about Nevada:

Their record so far this year is 1-2-2:

Lost to San Francisco @ USF 0-2
Won against Eastern Washington, neutral site, 2-0
Lost to Wright State, home, 0-1
Tied South Dakota State @ SDS 0-0
Tied South DakotaU, neutral site, 0-0

Massy has them ranked #176, Bennett 202, and the ARPI 233.

It looks like they have trouble scoring but have a decent defense.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Nevada 9/13 @ Merlo @ 7:00 pm Empty Re: Nevada 9/13 @ Merlo @ 7:00 pm

Post by Indigo Kid Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:31 pm

I will have to cheer from home tonight. I anticipate an easy win, but hope the team does not get Lax.
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Heading to Merlo

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:24 am

I just looked at the recap video for the game, which includes the Wetherington goal. It's worth looking at a couple of times to see how Ellen Parker re-directs a cross to an open Wetherington. Ellen has made some of the best, most sophisticated, soccer plays I've seen at UP, many of which go unnoticed because they're so subtle. This one reminded me of her bottom of the shoe, backwards, score against North Carolina last year.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:39 am

I'm watching the whole game right now (its still up!)

there is some really good stuff all over the field.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:22 am

Very strong start by the Pilots, with two good goals in 10 minutes. Nevada didn't have the quality to trouble UP at the back. Disappointing that there weren't a couple more goals to show for the dominance. Once again Garrett started four freshmen (Viera, Kendrick, Wetherington, and Evans) all of whom looked accomplished and two of whom scored. The other four (Hall, Boon, Elmer and Edenstrom) all came off the bench. This next stretch of the season is important for getting them more experience and helping this team to find its rhythm and touch. A couple of the more experienced players appear to be looking for their best form so these next couple of games are important.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by jc Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:46 am

The short passing game was mostly clicking and we often threatened. I credit progress, even though Nevada was not the toughest opposition.  We had 16 corner kicks (I can't remember more in recent years).  It is a bit troubling, though, that we scored off none of them in spite of generally good services from Amanda and Michelle.

I'll raise the question (I have no position on it): Are we giving up too much finishing power with Amanda placed on defense?
jc
jc
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:50 am

Have you ever seen a game with more corner kicks than shots? The opportunities to shoot were there but they mostly came from the right side of the field as players crossed into very open positions but lacked the ability to pull the trigger with the left foot. This seems to be a lost skill with most of the current team.

As for Amanda, there was a very obvious sign in the student section with the simple request "FREE FRISBIE!" Some else is thinking the same thing about the need there.

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto-Pilot Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:11 am

I was hoping Frisbie would be freed late in the Wake Forest game. I think we are wasting her exceptional offensive skills on defense. Seems we could more easily replace her defensive skills, than her offensive skills.
Auto-Pilot
Auto-Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-10-04

https://www.facebook.com/casero

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:45 am

Amanda has been a wonder on defense, both physically and mentally. She is clearly the leader back there despite being new to the position. Replacing her would be easy, replacing what she brings to the defense would be difficult.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by My2cents Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:05 pm

In order to move Frisbee back to forward, he would need someone who has her quick closing speed to anchor that backline.  Right now I don't  think he feels he has anyone.

By the way, I was impressed with Wetherington.  What a great touch she has on the ball when passing or shooting.  Her two goals were great goals. She made them look easy.  Neither shot was hard hit,  just perfectly placed.   Right now she has taken 5 shots, 3SOG, 2 Goals.  Need to see her get more opportunities to shoot.

My2cents
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:52 pm

jc wrote:I'll raise the question (I have no position on it): Are we giving up too much finishing power with Amanda placed on defense?
Yes.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Just curious NP, who would you put in defense in place of Amanda?
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:39 pm

It's hard to respond to the question about Frisbie on defense v. offense without being negative about some of the other players. And we have a general rule about trying to be positive and not be too critical of these college student/athletes.

I think that she is playing a key role on defense and would not make a change.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:51 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:......I think that she is playing a key role on defense and would not make a change.
In total agreement, HR.  

It's still very early in the season.....patience everyone, patience.  The offense has to jell and develop, and it will.

The defense is not just keeping UP in the games, but at times is saving the Pilots from defeat.  I'm old!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:14 pm

7 games into the season, the impact the fabulous freshmen have changed and pushed the dynamics of the team to new heights.  The skills they bring to the team are undeniable.  Shades of the 2005 team are pleasantly and constantly being rewound in my head.  Pilot soccer is back my friends!!

The obvious change is a return to the Pilot style of play.

1) Possession and Offensive Push - We're Attacking, Attacking, Attacking....its fantastic to see again.  Let's face it.  There's been an offensive drought the last few years, IMHO.  The offense has been stagnant, dependent on the long ball and counterattack.  We used to always dictate play.... by owning possession.  We used to make a living in the box.  Good to see these trait come back to the CCSC. 

With the current team,  I see our back line totally involved and engaged with the offensive attack.  I see tired and befuddled defenders by end of game.  I love watching opponents chase us all over the pitch.  The switches executed across the field are crisp and quick.  The 1st half of the Wake Forest match was pure Pilot execution and dominance at its best.  Yes, they eventually lost their mojo and let the Deacons back in it...but man...they're so young.  Even with the loss...I was still smiling ear to ear.  It was such a good preview of the team's future.  Can they get better?  Oooo YES they can and will!  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

2) Offensive Possession = Footspeed + One-Touch Passing + Chemistry.  This recipe has returned to the Bluff this season.  The 2013 Freshmen class are the ingredients....BAM!!!  Good ole comfort food.  Looks Good, Smells Good and Taste Good!

I was surprised as heck to see Amanda in the backline.  But, she brings size, footspeed, ball control and maturity.  I can understand why Garrett made such a huge change.  That must've been a difficult conversation.  But, I admire both of them for doing so for the good of the team.  I wouldn't be surprised though if Amanda does a shift or two in forward spot.  She's one of several players are being shuffled in and out at various positions.  As the season progresses, I can see Garrett requiring some players to be flexible...trying to find right fit for each of them and for the team.  

One of the biggest surprises this season for me was Bridges not starting.  I thought she made big strides over her career. She's smart, steady and was definitely one of the anchors for the team's successes over the years.  I hope to see more of her again.

I must say.  Of the those from the vaunted freshman class....my eyes are consistently drawn to Ariel Viera!  Take notice Pilot fans...Holy Cow...She's a Star!  I'm pretty sure she played the most minutes....every match...and all matches?  Has she ever been subbed out?  I don't think so?  She All-Fight.  Fiesty.  Always going at 100%.  No quit.  I saw her extend a couple of plays most normal players give up on.  She's not normal!  Shocked  I guess that's why I like her.  She fits the mold of Cox, Reed and Tsao.  

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:43 pm

I am confident that the goals will come.
I am confident that GS is working on it.

Amanda has been great on D. I'm not convinced that D is easier to learn than offense. Or less important.
I have seen her bring the ball all the way up in 2 games. That was exciting.

The freshman class is fantastic.

GS has been doing a lot of subbing with very little loss of skill at almost every position.

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Sarah Bridges had ankle surgery this past Spring. Though not on the field that much at this point -- although she was in for most of the second half v Nevada -- she still is one of the clear leaders of the team.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:15 pm

I have no problem not being critical of college student-athletes. Yet, is anyone willing to say that the Pilots should not have scored more goals on Nevada's porous defense? Or at least one after the 10th minute?

The problem is the thinking that it's a 1-for-1 change. If the team is truly in a place where they need Amanda's tremendous speed at center back and couldn't find it anywhere else (in her senior year no less), I feel like that's a problem. It's like putting a top hat on a protruding brain tumor. Maybe you think no one else can see that thing on your head, but don't call it a cure.

It's difficult to know who is healthy. Without regular coverage, team news outside of game reports is opaque. I have no insider knowledge, so assuming everyone but Jeter and Cameli are good to go, I would like to see the Edenstrom or Hall. One or both will most likely be starting next year anyway. Even with Frisbie at center back, they need to get valuable minutes this month before conference play in October.

Calls for patience would sound like wisdom, if they had not been the rallying cry of the past 4 years or longer. And to take the team's leading scorer and generator of assists and make her a central defender in her final year sends a message to recruits with professional ambition.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:28 am

I don't think this hurts Amanda at all from a professional perspective. In fact, I think it improves her prospects, showing how versatile she is. Further, her best opportunity as a pro may be as a defender, especially as an outside back.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by My2cents Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:16 am

I like the direction the team is taking. If it requires placing an offensive player like Frisbee in the back so they can play that kind of attacking offense, so be it. I agree that her value professionally, may be in her ability to play defense.

My2cents
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:28 am

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:I don't think this hurts Amanda at all from a professional perspective.  In fact, I think it improves her prospects, showing how versatile she is.  Further, her best opportunity as a pro may be as a defender, especially as an outside back.
i agree with this.  with NWSL rosters frozen at 20 and six or eight of them allocated Nats, players that can play all over the field will be at a premium.  the teams that weren't versatile suffered greatly when players got hurt or the Nats were away. Nats will be away more next year with qualifiers coming up.

Yes, Amanda was the best forward in the conference last year.

in case anybody hasn't noticed, Amanda has been the most dominant defender on the pitch in every game so far, including at Stanford and during the Wake game. she just played her 6th game as a defender, and she is making it look easy.

She isn't getting as beat up, either. Last year the team depended on her play with the back to the goal too much, she was really the only target player, and she got pretty beat up by the tournament as a consequence. Just look at the difference in the way she is running this year compared to last.

And the Pilots are a much more wide open team this year. when they get comfortable enough with the possession game to do it all game (it is a lot of work and the frosh have probably never played at the pace before) they will be even more fun to watch.

This isn't next year. lets concentrate on this one.  (hell, lets concentrate on this week - BYU didn't) We have the flexibility to let players heal and not play hurt. Last year players played banged up. and we were a bit of a patchwork team by the tournament.

this is early, the competition for the next few games isn't top 25, and they need a chance to experiment with the new faces and get them all comfortable, but I dont think throwing them to the lions all at once is the way.
A steady defense makes that possible. I'm not sure many teams have ever won much with three out of four players on the back line as freshmen. if you want Hall and Edenstrom back there together, thats what you will have. If you want more seasoned players back there, though they can play the spot, they can't play it as well as Amanda nad they won't be playing natural positions. and i find it odd that people want experience in the front but think that experience in the back isn't as critical.  Last year defenders had to play hurt, and when they did or had to sit (Loreiel concussion, remember?) we suffered. this year the defence is much improved and speed to catch people is the difference. Ariel  can go up because of that steadiness in the middle to cover for her. We didn't get forward much last year.

Clive always put Freshmen in the front and moved them back over the years, as has Garrett. Frenchie started as a wing player along with lots of others. (Reed, Ohanley, Tsao, Rodgers... the list goes on) there are only a few that started in the back. i remember joking that Frenchie would be a keeper if she was around another year.

if you think about it, we have been pretty successful with freshmen up top, and they haven't always taken off right away. Plus, we will have the luxury of resting players on two game weekends.

Let's let the season take its course. The players you see starting are almost certainly going to change a bit.

The team is making chances and getting shots and dominating possession. the goals will come. it isn't by chance, either. They are working really hard to produce the fun product you see. it takes a whole team on the same page. Some are "getting it" a little quicker. Some sat out a bit and haven't had the same practice time.

Besides, im pretty sure Erin and Nicole love having Amanda  in front of them. They look a lot more relaxed Wink

As to getting scouting reports on our player injuries, I know who comes to practice. we don't get paid enough to scout for opponents.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Oregonian coverage:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2013/09/womens_soccer.html