Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Library

+3
pilotram
DaTruRochin
A_Fan
7 posters

Go down

New Library Empty New Library

Post by A_Fan Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:07 pm

I was on campus yesterday afternoon with a friend in hopes of watching the women practice soccer. Unfortunately they weren't practicing so we wandered into the new library. On the first floor we found lots of desks with computers, tables and chairs, individual lounge chairs, several study rooms and one small shelf of current best sellers. We scratched our heads, a whole floor of a library and virtually no books. We wandered up to the next floor and it was the same situation. Lots of places to sit and study, but almost no books. We finally went to the basement and there they were. In large rows of shelves that are on tracks and must be separated electrically on rollers to spread them apart far enough for you to actually browse the shelf. So if someone has the shelves separated to get to rows 1 and 2, and you want a book in row 3, you have to wait until the person in rows 1 and 2 is done and out of the row, then you push a button and move shelf 3 so you can get to it. I wonder if the next incarnation of the library will have no books at all.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

New Library Empty Re: New Library

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Thats pretty much the standard now for new library construction...

Even when I was attending UP almost a decade ago I rarely had to look at an actual book for research, it was always on a database like Lexis or JSTOR. That was even before you could look at pdfs on e-readers, iPad's etc.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Pretty sure the only book I ever cracked in there was the parallel Bible.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:39 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Thats pretty much the standard now for new library construction...

Even when I was attending UP almost a decade ago I rarely had to look at an actual book for research, it was always on a database like Lexis or JSTOR. That was even before you could look at pdfs on e-readers, iPad's etc.
About the only time I looked for books was my theology or philosophy classes. I was a science major so most of my time was spent looking up journal articles, either in the basement or online. The only science books I used were my textbooks and reference books like the CRC Handbook.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:37 pm

I mostly hung out in the lounge area and read sports sections of the various newspapers they stocked. Not too may papers to write in the math dept. Now, don't subscribe to any papers. All on the 'net.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Took a tour of the new library recently....a wonderful facility that even UP Alums can enjoy using.

Embarassed I'm a little embarrassed to say the only times I recall going to the library during my college days was to get a date for the weekend......but after reading UP Sociology Professor Martin A. Monto's study that says “no evidence of substantial changes in sexual behavior that would support the proposition that there is a new or pervasive ‘hookup culture’ among contemporary college students"......it might be that today's student will use the library for the same purpose as some of us did in the '60's.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11214
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:32 pm

I took. Tour also. Had to find the basement to see any books, and you won't be happy if you are a browser type. Only one out of every 5 or 7 aisle of books can be opened at any one time.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:37 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:.......you won't be happy if you are a browser type. Only one out of every 5 or 7 aisle of books can be opened at any one time.
Ha-ha, I too love to browse, but as you know, those of us in the Portland area are lucky enough to have Powell's Book Store for just such an occasion....while drinking coffee.study
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:56 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:I took. Tour also. Had to find the basement to see any books, and you won't be happy if you are a browser type. Only one out of every 5 or 7 aisle of books can be opened at any one time.
And where's the damn card catalog!?! I'm old! 
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:13 am

DaTruRochin wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:I took. Tour also. Had to find the basement to see any books, and you won't be happy if you are a browser type. Only one out of every 5 or 7 aisle of books can be opened at any one time.
And where's the damn card catalog!?! I'm old! 
OMG, you don't think they've thrown out the Dewey Decimal System too!!

Actually, I believe Melvil's system is still working quite well with a few revisions and updates through the years......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:24 pm

For my senior design project (this was in 2009-2010) My partners and I did a redesign of the Library, most specifically the structural design. We met with the librarian staff and reviewed the master plan and all that good stuff. It was pretty interesting to talk to the librarian staff about the evolution of what Library's are now and their functionality. In the master plan, which included a comprehensive report with input from multiple professors/students/other faculty, it was a priority to add study space and to bring up the technology.

I will have to say there are certain design aspects of the new library that are pretty close to what my team had decided to do, which means that we did a good job of designing usable space.

As far as the movable book stacks, those things are a HUGE load on the footings for the building. I was in charge of designing those, and they turned out massive because of the massive loading over a small area, and they move. It all brings back good memories of a project that was pretty comprehensive.

I have to say that I feel like I had a small part in this new library. I guess that's an advantage of going to a place like UP.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down