Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland NCAA violation

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Portland NCAA violation Empty Portland NCAA violation

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Yeah, we're in the news again for the car wash crime.

This time a Syracuse wag is comparing the investigation into alleged irregularities with their  basketball  program to our golf program. I'm sure there is a direct analogy.

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2013/07/poliquin_syracuse_basketballs_2.html
I want to know who in town charges $20 for a car wash...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Portland NCAA violation Empty Re: Portland NCAA violation

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Uh, we don't have a Women's Golf team, do we? I thought it was some unnamed WCC school that self-reported, and Rev just highlighted it because he is so enamored with the NCAA rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11 pm

up7587 wrote:Uh, we don't have a Women's Golf team, do we? I thought it was some unnamed WCC school that self-reported, and Rev just highlighted it because he is so enamored with the NCAA rules.
Whoa, now you're letting facts get in the way of a wonderful story.

UP Women's Golf.....undefeated for two years!!!

Maybe not quite as good as the UP Football team (undefeated since 1951), but I see an undefeated future, too. Rolling Eyes 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:23 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:I want to know who in town charges $20 for a car wash...
From Stacy L., Portland, OR…..a review of the Hazel Dell Car Wash in Vancouver, WA:
I paid $20 for "the works" which was supposed to include a wash, wax, and interior cleaning. I think I paid $20 for them to drive my car through the car wash. The interior was not cleaned, and when my car came out of the car wash it had the same dirty spots as before. I certainly won't be back, and will make sure no one I know goes to this place. I could have gotten as good of service, if not better, for $5 at a gas station car wash
I tried their $10 wash recently….it was OK, but I’m heading back to my reliable $5 Kaady Car Wash….they wash, I dry!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Portland NCAA violation Empty Nathen Harris Loses a Year

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:20 pm

....and these NCAA violations just keep getting worse and worse:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/89689/harries-loses-year-of-eligibility-for-what
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:....and these NCAA violations just keep getting worse and worse:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/89689/harries-loses-year-of-eligibility-for-what
Sucks to see kids like this getting dinged while major football programs seem to fly under the wire.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:02 pm

I think this one is overblown - it'll just get overturned on appeal, which would have happen regardless of whether or not this blew up into a national story.

I think it's the application of this same rule that has an interesting consequence in hockey - it's fairly common for junior hockey players (junior eligibility = 20 or less years as of Dec. 31 of current season) to play until they're 20, then move on to the NCAA as 21-year-old freshmen.

BUT, if the player's birthdate means that they turn 21 while the junior season is still going on (say, a Jan/Feb/Mar birthdate), then they IMMEDIATELY have to stop playing if they wish to have full and immediate NCAA eligibility. So a guy will celebrate his 21st birthday, then proceed to retire from junior and watch his team play without him for the rest of the year so he can play college hockey the following season.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:31 pm

You're right, of course, about Nathan Harries's situation....but about the hockey, none of us down south have a clue what you're talking about..tongue 

Dana O'Neil‏@ESPNDanaOneil
Source confirms NCAAA has found its senses. Nathan Harries eligible at Colgate
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:56 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:....but about the hockey, none of us down south have a clue what you're talking about..tongue 

Pretty sure it's the same rule. hockey is a religion North of the border.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:28 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:You're right, of course, about Nathan Harries's situation....but about the hockey, none of us down south have a clue what you're talking about..tongue
Sorry - here's a fine "intro to hockey" video that should clear it up for you!

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:41 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
I think it's the application of this same rule that has an interesting consequence in hockey - it's fairly common for junior hockey players (junior eligibility = 20 or less years as of Dec. 31 of current season) to play until they're 20, then move on to the NCAA as 21-year-old freshmen.
For those who don't know, the Winterhawks are a junior team, and one of the best in North America.

As I understand it, once you play major junior hockey you can't play for an NCAA school. I have heard of lots of Winterhawks playing at Canadian colleges after they leave the WHL, however (the WHL gives you a one-year full scholarship anywhere in the US or Canada for each year you play in the league).
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 pm

The NCAA considers Junior A pro, but lesser leagues can still have teams that are considered amateur.

I played a little Junior Hockey  in the 60's (Long Island Junior Ducks --No Helmets!) it was  a way to keep busy between Football or soccer and the LaCrosse season.

I loved sports where they gave you a stick and told you to hit somebody.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Of course, PPT is right on all counts - major junior (WHL/OHL/QMJHL) including the Winterhawks essentially forfeits your NCAA eligibility, which means that kids need to make a decision when they're 15 whether or not to play major junior or go to Junior A where they retain their amateur status in the eyes of the NCAA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:34 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Of course, PPT is right on all counts - major junior (WHL/OHL/QMJHL) including the Winterhawks essentially forfeits your NCAA eligibility, which means that kids need to make a decision when they're 15 whether or not to play major junior or go to Junior A where they retain their amateur status in the eyes of the NCAA.
From the NCAA D1 manual:

12.2.3.2.4 Major Junior A Ice Hockey - Ice hockey teams in the United States and Canada, classified by the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association as major junior A teams, are considered professional teams under NCAA legislation.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Yes, the terminology can be a bit misleading.

While the WHL/OHL/QMJHL might technically be referred to as "Major Junior A" it's just called major junior. No NCAA players can come from this level, unless you sit out one full year plus one game for every major junior game you played. So it essentially quashes your NCAA eligibility.

Junior A is the BCHL, AJHL, SJHL, MJHL, etc. A level below major junior but still classified as Junior A. NCAA Div I players from Canada almost exclusively come from this level.

Junior B aka "The Jungle" is the VIJHL, PIJHL, KIJHL in BC...even ol' Deaner played here for a bit before hanging 'em up. A good player at this level might be able to contribute at a Div III school.

I think USA Hockey just classifies junior leagues into Tier I, Tier II, and Tier III with USHL at the top. Not sure if there's any leagues besides the NAHL at the Tier II level since they absorbed the AWHL a few years back. None of the USA junior leagues hurt your NCAA eligibility as far as I know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:00 pm

When I played in the 60's, I Played  American Junior B, which is now called tier II, I think.

It didn't matter much for NCAA eligibility anyway, as neither hockey, soccer, nor lacrosse were NCAA sports.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:53 am

BYU getting dinged:
http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye-on-sports/24219697/byu-runner-denied-eligibility-by-ncaa-after-running-in-recreational-race
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Holy cow, does that mean any races he ran in for BYU also have to be forfeit?

Honestly, the NCAA are complete morons with respect to common sense and credibility.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:13 pm

I don't know, this looks pretty serious to me. Hammer him.

Portland NCAA violation Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJtFK70ZWUi4p6tytVXjUp9xaK2NaBeo2oQ6OnM352uMC1cEUE

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Holy cow, does that mean any races he ran in for BYU also have to be forfeit?

Honestly, the NCAA are complete morons with respect to common sense and credibility.
I think it means that he can't run this year. He didn't run WCC's, I already checked. Wink I want to know what his time was in this race. That should tell you whether he is guilty or not!
(By the way, Galen Rupp did WAY worse than this in my opinion while he was waiting for his coach to be installed in Eugene before enrolling. He just had to give some money back or something and got away with it)

Read the comments on the Deadspin article about this if you want to L your AO.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:39 pm

I guess I won't be mentioning those rugby games I played for kegs of beer between junior and senior years in 1969...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:44 pm

That was before Pliny so you're in the clear.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Looks like he won that "uncompetitive" race. Interesting.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:40 pm

What's interesting is that another LDS student-athlete who was returning from his mission also recently got dinged by the NCAA, this time for a playing a few games in a church basketball league: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/57092204-77/ncaa-harries-league-basketball.html.csp

I can understand, sort of, why this is a rule, but here's what I don't get: it's allowable for these guys to have a super-competitive race/game with their teammates (and anyone else who happens to show up... it's not uncommon for current and former Blazers to show up for pick-up games in the Chiles Center in the summer), but it's not OK to play against 50 year olds in a church league and racing against people in costumes?

Like Jared Ward said, he was going to go do a workout that day anyway, and he decided to just hop in the race for the heck of it. I don't really see what sort of competitive advantage he would get out of this. Of course an All-American in XC and track (I think his XC eligibility is done but he still has a year left in track) would dust a fun-run field of non-competitive racers.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Reinstated.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865590567/NCAA-reverses-sanctions-against-BYU-runner.html
The issue in all these cases seems to revolve around whether athletes not yet in college engage in "organized competition" which might prove an unfair advantage in the NCAA. For example, you could train and compete for several years, then enter the NCAA as a much better athlete than had you gone straight in from high school. I do think Ward's race was "organized competition," as he won on a hard course with several other guys at his heels. But in any event, the three instances they list seem like quite minor infractions.
Rupp got away with this because the rule doesn't take effect until a year after you graduate HS.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next