Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Recruiting

+16
mikemac65
SoCalPilot
Dean Murdoch
blacksheep
pilotram
ekrauss
joshhorton
oldtimer
Geezaldinho
wrv
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
Rob's Jacket
DTLegend
DoubleDipper
20 posters

Page 8 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 23  Next

Go down

2015 Recruiting - Page 8 Empty Re: 2015 Recruiting

Post by PilotNut Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:01 pm

I believe there may be a case to apply for another year for Gerun, if all parties want that... but we probably would not know anything about that until the spring of 2015.

As for David Carr, you have to wonder if he will come back. Another year of brutal re-hab, he just got married, I believe he will graduate in the spring of 2015... and he would be facing stiff competition for playing time behind Alec, Bryce and this year's incoming freshmen. I would not blame him at all if he decided not to come back, but wish him the best if he decides to push for it!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Ah yes, the Gerun factor... So far I've only seen baseless speculation that he could qualify for another year. Does anyone have a real basis for thinking that is even possible?

Anyhow... factoring in the Gerun wildcard, and considering the possibility of Livingston getting a scholarship and Carr sticking around, there could be as few as 3 scholarships available for the 2015 class. That would put 4 scholarships in the 2016 class (Pressley, Livingston, Gerun, Carr). One of those would be taken by Monson, leaving 3 for that class as well.

That's a lot of variability for 2015. There could be only 3 available spots, with 1 of those already spoken for (J. Johnson). But there also could be as many as 6 total spots.

2016 is similar: There could be only 1 spot, which is already taken by Monson. Or there could be as many as 4 (with 3 yet to be filled).

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:51 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Ah yes, the Gerun factor... So far I've only seen baseless speculation that he could qualify for another year. Does anyone have a real basis for thinking that is even possible?
Well, it's not baseless because there's been some discussion by the staff with regards to petitioning the NCAA, but it's also not very likely the NCAA will grant Voldy another year if it follows its current bylaws.

If the staff, and Voldy, want to pursue an extra year, UP will have to come up with some out-of-the-box thinking to persuade the NCAA.  At this point it's not even known if Voldy would like to stay an extra year.....but if he returns to the Ukraine anytime soon he may be drafted.....and not necessarily by a professional basketball team.

Regardless, if a petition to the NCAA is made, it cannot be done until after Voldy uses up his current eligibility.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:45 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:We’d heard the Coach Rev was driving through some bad weather in Utah and Idaho a couple of days ago, and now we're hearing shooting guard Malek Harwell, from Pocatello, Idaho has been offered a scholarship by UP.

Harwell, a 6-4 junior, is pretty well known by a number of teams that have also made him scholarship offers (including USF and LMU) from his successes with the Utah Pump and Run AAU team.
Harwell has decided to move from Pocatello to the big city and will sign with the Boise St. Broncos in November according to his AAU team.  #anothergone
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:46 pm

PF Colin Russell commits to the Pilots...

Last edited by DeanMurdoch on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Apparently had at least one other offer: Northern Arizona. Watched his video highlights. Actually looks like a player. Consistently dunks left handed but shoots right handed.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Excellent news! That leaves anywhere from 1 to 3 remaining scholarships for 2015.

One recruit in the mix is SF Travis Fuller, from San Diego. He had previously narrowed the field to 6 schools, including UP. Since then, he has apparently removed Yale from the mix. Wyoming and UCSB are already over their scholarship limits, according to VerbalRecruits. That presumably leaves UP in the final 3, along with Princeton and Brown.

I'm hoping Robert Franks from Vancouver, WA, will cross the river and attend UP. It would be great to continue the recent success in landing local recruits.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:43 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:PF Colin Russell commits to the Pilots...
Hmm, purely coincidence, but last Thursday I was talking to a really old acquaintance in Folsom, CA (Russell's hometown)when Russell's name came up because my friend has watched him play for the last two years and thought Russell would be visiting UP the next day, Friday.

The feeling was he's another kid with potential who has improved markedly in the past 6 months, including AAU ball, and he's got good height at 6'8", but he'll really need to hit the weight room to compete at the D-1 level.   My friend said he didn't look more than 170 lbs. when he saw him, but he does look a little bigger than that on tape, so he may have put on some weight since that time. (I have not seen a weight listed for Russell).

One other thing he mentioned was Russell really wanted to go to a Catholic school....and the only other known offers were N. Arizona and his home team, UC-Davis, with Pepperdine and Pacific keeping an eye on him.

That's Russell in white against Bryce's old school, Jesuit (Sacramento).
2015 Recruiting - Page 8 Russel10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:11 am

DoubleDipper wrote:A few days ago Sammamish, WA native and Eastside Catholic/Northwest Xpress wing Matisse Thybulle had zero offers, but hoopreview.net is reporting that his summer play has now produced offers from UP, UW, WSU, Cal Poly, and Tulsa.
Thybulle has apparently "narrowed" his choices to UO, UW, Cal, and Gonzaga....he was in Spokane a few days ago.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:23 am

Sounds like Jazz Johnson was impressive at a "College Exposure Showcase" event over the weekend. Other local high school players are discussed in this article, too. Including 2016 Kaleb Poquette (Morton, WA), who we've heard UP is interested in.

http://www.lcrecruiting.com/news_article/show/420194?referrer_id=1273125

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:26 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:One recruit in the mix is SF Travis Fuller, from San Diego. He had previously narrowed the field to 6 schools, including UP. Since then, he has apparently removed Yale from the mix. Wyoming and UCSB are already over their scholarship limits, according to VerbalRecruits. That presumably leaves UP in the final 3, along with Princeton and Brown.
Per VerbalRecruits, UP is actually the only one of Fuller's final 6 schools that does NOT yet have a commit at the SF position.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:37 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Excellent news! That leaves anywhere from 1 to 3 remaining scholarships for 2015.

I see 2 to 4, where are we differing? Six graduating seniors, two commits = four open spots. But Carr and Gerun question marks to return, so as low as 2 and as many as 4?

I'll take a wild guess and say the Pilots will round out this class with Robert Franks, a 6'11" European center that no one besides Coach Wolf has ever heard of, and a Bobby Sharp-ish JUCO guy. One of Carr or Gerun will come back to take the other spot.

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:23 pm

I see 2 to 4, where are we differing? Six graduating seniors, two commits = four open spots. But Carr and Gerun question marks to return, so as low as 2 and as many as 4?

I'll take a wild guess and say the Pilots will round out this class with Robert Franks, a 6'11" European center that no one besides Coach Wolf has ever heard of, and a Bobby Sharp-ish JUCO guy. One of Carr or Gerun will come back to take the other spot.

I'd guess that 1-3 range is assuming that Max Livingston, a walk on this season, will receive a scholarship next season.

If I had to guess at what the the squad may look like next season, I'd say that Livingston does get that scholarship, I'd also say that Voldy and Carr won't be back. This is all just on a gut feeling.

If that all happens that leaves 3 scholarships. I'd have to say that biggest needs would be a long, athletic wing and a traditional big man. Judging by previous years I wouldn't be surprised to see an international player, and/or a transfer. Actually if everything happens this way a transfer with one or two years of eligibility would even out our scholarships a bit. I think it'd be 2, 3, 4, 4 which is much more preferable to our current 6, 1, 2, 4

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:49 pm

I should have said there are 1-4 available scholarships for next season. On paper, there are currently 4 available. But there are potentially 3 players already on the roster who could take those spots: Carr, Gerun, Livingston.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:59 pm

DTLegend wrote:If I had to guess at what the the squad may look like next season, I'd say that Livingston does get that scholarship, I'd also say that Voldy and Carr won't be back. This is all just on a gut feeling.

If that all happens that leaves 3 scholarships. I'd have to say that biggest needs would be a long, athletic wing and a traditional big man.
I think your gut feeling re: David, Voldy, and Max is probably a good one, depending how Max performs as a backup this coming season.

My favorite long, athletic wing is still Jarrel Marshall a sophomore at Palm Beach St, but I just don't know how he's doing academically......

Re: the traditional big man....that's going to be a tough one, IMO.  JUCO, D-1 transfer, or overseas seems the most likely.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Ducks cut frosh SG  JaQuon Lysle from the roster.

I'm good, y'all! I promise, just wait!! 🙏
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:42 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Ducks cut frosh SG  JaQuon Lysle from the roster.

I'm good, y'all! I promise, just wait!! 🙏
....this class of 2014 player may just end up in the class of 2015....but if there are some roster spots available this year I'm quite sure he'll find a school with less stringent entrance requirements for its athletes than UO.  

Good for UO (and other Pac-12 schools) for making entrance requirements more of a priority.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:38 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Sounds like Jazz Johnson was impressive at a "College Exposure Showcase" event over the weekend. Other local high school players are discussed in this article, too. Including 2016 Kaleb Poquette (Morton, WA), who we've heard UP is interested in.
I played golf yesterday with a former AAU coach that was at the "Showcase" and was told that three players stood out in his mind as good "WCC caliber D-1 players that UP should consider."  The two young men from Morton HS, 6-4 SG Zach Walton (2015) and 6-4 SG Kaleb Poquette (2016), and the 6-7 PF from Reynolds HS, Dakota Ayala (2016).

He also commented that he was surprised how much "larger" Jazz Johnson had gotten from when he saw him a year ago.....but he also said he "he was so quick none of the defenders could stay with him."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:25 pm

Okay!!  This picture of Colin Russell is a good one, and shows he's got good size too.
2015 Recruiting - Page 8 Russel11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:22 am

Really excited about the commitments we have for the class of 2015 but still have 2 key spots to fill. #pilotstrong

Judging by Coach Reveno's tweet it seems like he's been reading our message board and threw us a bone. I'm still sticking to my prediction about David, Voldy, and Max and that means that there is a commitment that Reveno and staff know about, but just hasn't been made public. That's pretty rare this day in age.

Or none of that could be true.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:00 am

DTL, it was a year ago - almost to the day - when you posted Rev's tweet about visiting a mystery commit.

If indeed there's been a commit for over a year and it hasn't come out somehow, that's shocking.

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:17 am

the possibilities are endless and the speculation is most of the fun anyway

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:26 am

From a year ago, when Rev was in Australia....as I recall. Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper wrote:
Eric Reveno‏@CoachReveno  16 Sep
Cleared immigration, waiting for luggage at baggage claim and need to set a record to downtown hotel.  Workout in 8 hrs and need sleep.
Eric Reveno‏@CoachReveno  16 Sep
On train to see 2015 commitment...
Eric Reveno‏@CoachReveno  44m
Great trip started worrying about "commitment/miles traveled" ratio.
I can see why Rev is a little concerned as he's literally flying around the world on this recruiting trip.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:08 pm

I guess it could be this guy.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/darryl-mcdowell-white

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Per the palm trees on Rev's Twitter communique from yesterday, perhaps he's back in Florida checking in on DD's favorite, Jarrel Marshall.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 23  Next