Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2013 Offseason

+11
wrv
NoPoNeighbor
blacksheep
PilotNut
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotFan66
OldePilot
Geezaldinho
pilotram
DTLegend
DoubleDipper
15 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The 2013 Offseason - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2013 Offseason

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:43 pm

At the baseball game today I learned that the university is going with another company to serve events. The ushers will be gone at the end of the month. They're going to miss us and I know I'll miss them. They were always friendly to the band and students and I'll miss seeing familiar faces every soccer and basketball game.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:41 am

Let's hope the new company will serve you Pliny.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:47 am

Agree that we'll miss many of them. This past season, the first under the new AD, they presented a much friendlier, welcoming attitude.

Perhaps many will be hired by the new contracter!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:16 am

While I am sure many were nice and friendly, there were many who were not... in fact some were verging on rude. To be honest, I really look forward to a new attitude in this area.

Going forward, I think you are going to see more attention being paid to the overall "fan experience" (which is a great thing). The U has realized that the bar has been raised in this regard (with the Rose Garden/Blazers, Jeld-Wen/Timbers, etc.), and we need to catch up. Other than the product on the court, this covers everything from ticketing, ushers, traffic, sound system, video board, apparel, etc. I think these will all be positive changes.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:20 am

I look forward to a video board at Merlo
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:26 am

PilotNut wrote:While I am sure many were nice and friendly, there were many who were not... in fact some were verging on rude. To be honest, I really look forward to a new attitude in this area.

I agree Nut. Maybe I just look suspicious, but I can't even begin to count the number of times my ticket was thoroughly inspected for authenticity to make sure I can sit in the 1/4 full reserved seat section. You would have thought that at some point they would start to recognize me.

. . . and don't even think about having a 10 minute conversation with other pilot fans after the game while still in the stands. Evil or Very Mad

I will admit that it was better this last season, but I will look forward to the change.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:49 am

The same usher tried to stop/block me on the way into the arena for at least 10 years (I am not exaggerating). I even have tried to engage her in conversation so she might recognize me (not that it should even be necessary after this long), to no avail.

And yet they let people walk right by to walk across the floor/behind the basket while the game is going on. I would like to see a little more control on letting people walk behind the benches/in front of the sideline seats while the game is going, as well. I think some arenas make you wait until a dead ball to do something like that.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:44 am

David Ahern‏ @Dahern25
Great banquet to end the year. Gunna miss my #Portland fam next year. #MuchLove
Unfortunately, it looks like David Ahern will not be returning next season. It is always uncertain with a walk-on, but he would be buried deep on the depth chart next year, for sure. Best of luck to you, David! We were fortunate to have you this season.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:25 am

David made the decision about a month ago, but didn't want to go fully public with it until last night.

Hoping to win a scholarship when he arrived, he should now have some good opportunities at D-2 or D-3.

A great kid and a wonderful teammate, he'll do well in college and in life!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:38 pm

Meanwhile in Spain.....saw a tweet from Luke Sikma saying how great it was to "wakeup a champion."

His A. Ford Burgos team (22-4) won the Spanish LEB Gold regular season title by winning the last game of the season. Luke was the game MOP scoring 10, with 9 boards and 4 assists.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 pm

From Andy Katz @ ESPN
Two major changes for college basketball -- an earlier start to practice and a change in the shot clock -- could occur in time for the beginning of the 2013-14 season.

At a May 2 meeting, the NCAA Board of Directors will vote on moving up the start of practice by two to three weeks (would be Sept. 27 or Oct. 4 this season). And the following week in Indianapolis, the men's basketball rules committee will vote on moving the shot clock from 35 to 30 seconds.

After taking an informal poll of 37 Division I coaches Monday morning, the consensus among that community seems to be "yes" for both.
The entire article is here: Andy Katz

I like the earlier start to practice....being in better "game condition" by the beginning of actual play should decrease some typical early season injuries.

Not sure about the 30 second clock....I do not think it will increase scoring, but with more and more sophisticated defenses, it may increase the number of last second wild shots to beat the buzzer. tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 pm

PilotNut wrote:Unfortunately, it looks like David Ahern will not be returning next season. It is always uncertain with a walk-on, but he would be buried deep on the depth chart next year, for sure. Best of luck to you, David! We were fortunate to have you this season.
Nice chat with David….he’s transferring to the D-2 school that recruited him hard while he was in high school…Sonoma State.

The school is only 20 minutes away from his family’s home in Novato…it sounds like a win/win to me. All his friends and family can watch him play, and he puts his D-1 experience to work this coming season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 01, 2013 10:21 am

From Rev earlier today:
One of our guards told me yesterday he plans on shooting 50,000 shots this summer and is tracking in excel spreadsheet. Embrace the grind.
Hmm, who could it be? My guess is Korey. He’s shown he CAN do it all, but his outside shooting has been inconsistent. If he’s to be a starter in his final year on the Bluff he’s got to keep those three pesky newcomers at bay. Laughing
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 03, 2013 11:52 am

From the NCAA.org (edited):
Calendar moves forward for Midnight Madness....

Men’s basketball teams will be allowed to begin their first practice up to two weeks earlier than in the past, starting this fall. The proposal was finalized at the close of the Division I Board of Directors meeting Thursday.

Last month, the Legislative Council amended and approved the long-tabled measure that will allow men’s basketball teams to conduct 30 days of practice in the six weeks before their first regular-season game. In the past, practice began roughly four weeks before the regular season.

The rule change brings the men’s basketball practice start date closer to that of the women’s teams. Women’s basketball teams begin no earlier than 40 days before the first regular-season game, with a limit of 30 days of practice.

The rule creates a flexible preseason practice schedule that allows practice days and off days instead of the current schedule that leads to practice occurring every possible day. The more flexible approach provides coaches with the ability to determine how to use practice opportunities.

The Women’s Basketball Coaches Association expressed preference to maintain its current 40-day period as an expansion posed potential conflicts with a weekend when recruiting can occur.
It is my recollection the Pilots will be allowed 10 days of practice prior to their trip to Spain in August.....that will be a good way to assimilate the FOUR new guys (even if one will have to redshirt). Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 04, 2013 2:05 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:6-8 PF Tanner Lancona decommitted from Wazzu on Thursday. Cue the recruiting efforts from, well, likely every coach in the WCC.
Tanner has committed to St. Louis, says his coach. Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 10:34 am

I wonder what's behind this comment?
@CoachReveno wrote:Always a shame when someone tries to be a superstar and comes up short. Manage expectations and deliver on your word.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 08, 2013 4:19 pm

up7587 wrote:I wonder what's behind this comment?
@CoachReveno wrote:Always a shame when someone tries to be a superstar and comes up short. Manage expectations and deliver on your word.
Really, it could apply to about anyone of us in any walk of life…..

But if we are to assume it applies to one of UP’s players, it could very well be Jake. He had very high expectations of himself after having been the two time 5A player of the year in Oregon…..and he had a very difficult time accepting that he was not playing better or progressing more rapidly.

Apparently Jake had never struggled at anything in his life, and his freshman year was a struggle……to him. His coaches and teammates thought he was doing very well….but apparently Jake’s expectations were a little disproportionate to the reality of D-1 ball.

If it is Jake, it may be Rev is tweeting about him now because maybe Jake has finally asked for the staff’s help in finding a landing place for him after he’d contacted other D-1 schools on his own. Question
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Okay....so I think the Pilots are close to having a finalized roster for 2013-14?

Let's hear your starting five for Game 1 of next season...I'll go with Pressley, Thieleke, Kevin Bailey, Nicholas, and van der Mars.

At this point there's more than a few possible combinations in the backcourt, wow!

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue May 14, 2013 1:30 am

That's a fair guess. I could see this emerging as the starting line-up by the time we hit conference play: Wintering, Pressley, Bailey, Nicholas, VDM

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue May 14, 2013 1:35 am

Evaluating roster turnover since last fall:

Rodgers out, Wintering in: This should make the team better, though we'll see how long it takes for Wintering to get comfortable at the college level

Ehlers and Cason out, Gerun in: Sounds like this should make the team better

Reinfelds out, Sharp and Zubizarreta in: This seems like the biggest question mark to me

Seems like we're now pretty solid on the inside: VDM, Barker, Nicholas, Gerun

All will hinge on the guards, just like last year. Let's hope the results are better! And how about a new offensive scheme?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 14, 2013 8:29 am

Agree with your assessement NPN, I believe PG Alec is THE key, but the SG's are going to have to score AND play defense.....I didn't see a lot of defense from Bobby and Zubi in the videos or in the Chles Center, so that is a concern.

Re: a different offensive scheme---with the addition of Volo to the already established Ryan, Riley, and Thomas, I think it's inevitable we'll see some different schemes attempted early on....the trip to Spain couldn't come at a better time as UP changes gears and direction from the last two years.

IMO Alec and Volo are the keys to any upgrade from last year, and the emergence of Korey and KB as scorers will be vital to the team's success.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 14, 2013 8:55 am

Oh, and let's not write-off Tanner. He's putting in a ton of work, and is well aware this his last chance to have an above average college career and a chance to play in Europe after graduation.

No one, including the coaches and Tanner himself, can explain the drop off from his freshman year. At least other teams continued to defend him, freeing up another shooter....that was not the case with Derrick, I'm sorry to say.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue May 14, 2013 9:03 am

With the return of a healthy Carr(or so I hope) and with the newcomers, it appears that team speed and ballhandling in the back court will be improved. Reveno mentioned trying to run during the course of the last season, a tacit admission that the offense was sometimes stagnant. I would think the Pilots will be able to do more running, suffer less stagnation. Our outside shooting should improve some, at least if Wintering is indeed an impact player. Finally, Wintering's ability to drive and dish may also help the bigs . . . and Tanner.

The loss of Ehlers is disappointing, but the team on the whole appears improved. Let's hope we can keep it competitive throughout the year.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 am

I really think that a consistent outside threat would do wonders for this team. Last season, the key was so crowded, each defender could play a step off because they could live with every single three taken by anyone. Pressure will be on Sharp and Tanner to provide some sort of consistency beyond the arch. Ryan helps with his ability and hopefully Voldy will help as well.

I think that will loosen up the pressure a bit and open up lanes for Kevin and Korey as well as Thomas and Riley. Hopefully Alec can facilitate a little and the offense is a bit more open. That is the hope.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 14, 2013 10:53 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Ummmmm. I'm going to go ahead and assume that the No. 1 prospect in the 2013 class simply means that he's visiting the city of Portland, and hasn't actually committed to the Pilots.

Wiggins tweets: "Portland bound!!"

Hey, a guy can dream.
Sorry, Deaner, there just wasn't room at Portland for the young Canadian phenom.

Wiggens announced today he's headed to Kansas....that's a very good move for Wiggens, but an even better move for college basketball as a whole. If he had gone to UK instead of KU, it would have been "same old, same old" for sure.

Wiggens will have great exposure and great coaching a KU.....but is he a one-and-done? Yes, definitely according to the "experts!"
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next