Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2013 Offseason

+11
wrv
NoPoNeighbor
blacksheep
PilotNut
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotFan66
OldePilot
Geezaldinho
pilotram
DTLegend
DoubleDipper
15 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The 2013 Offseason - Page 6 Empty Re: The 2013 Offseason

Post by DTLegend Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:45 am

Haha, yeah, I know. I was very surprised to see that UP was even linked to Wiltjer in the first place but a chance is a chance. Who knows what Rev and the staff can sell to him, if given the opportunity. I really do believe that Rev will be honest, and let him know what UP can offer and what he could expect on the bluff, but Reveno always preaches to recruits to make sure the fit is there.

This is a rare opportunity for a top level prospect, where the homework on him has been done (recruiting/scouting for two years) and I would assume that it wouldn't take a ton of resources away from other priorities (this is an assumption that I could be WAY off on because I really don't know anything about how a college basketball program really operates). Basically it really is a high reward, low risk situation to talk with the kid and let him know what being a Pilot could be like

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:18 am

Seems like our strongest case is an appeal to altruism and Portland hometown pride. "Come be part of starting something big at your hometown school." Other than that, I don't think there's anything we can offer that can't be found at schools that have a better chance of winning - and an open scholarship.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:34 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Seems like our strongest case is an appeal to altruism and Portland hometown pride. "Come be part of starting something big at your hometown school." Other than that, I don't think there's anything we can offer that can't be found at schools that have a better chance of winning - and an open scholarship.

Well, new recruiting rules won't be in force until the new committe on infractions comes on in August.... There is still a window to pay off his former coach or maybe a private scouting agent.....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Kyle Wiltjer did get his release today, and says it will be sent to just a "few schools" so it doesn't become a circus.

Still a chance......Basketball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Coach Rev posted a twitter pic from the alumni game:

The 2013 Offseason - Page 6 Upbbal10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:47 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Kyle Wiltjer did get his release today, and says it will be sent to just a "few schools" so it doesn't become a circus.

Still a chance......Basketball
Wiltjer's father, Greg, recently told The Portland Tribune that it's completely a possibility that Wiltjer could return to the Wildcats — reinforcing the idea that a transfer isn't set in stone.
"Kyle is midway through the college process," his father says. "The reason he chose Kentucky was a chance to win a national championship, play with the best players in the nation and be in position to have an opportunity to play beyond college. Now he's looking at what lies in front of him.

'Kyle has a great relationship with Calipari, but he's not a stereotypical Calipari player. If he were at Duke or some other place, they'd be running him off screens, but that's not the Kentucky system. And now he has all these thoroughbreds coming in. Kyle's biggest challenge is his body. He needs to get stronger and quicker, to get help with nutrition, strength and agility."

"The biggest time in Kyle's career lies in the 14 to 16 months ahead," Greg says. "I'd 100 percent like him to devote the next year to working on his body, but it's his decision. He feels vested in Kentucky. It has been his life the last two years. And Kyle is a very competitive kid. He is always trying to prove people wrong.
Apparenty Kyle visited Gonzaga last week, but is now in Russia with the Canadian team....so no decisions for awhile, apparently.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:20 am

Four months until UC Davis comes to visit for the season opener. I like their logo.

The 2013 Offseason - Page 6 Team_UC-Davis-Aggies23.pdf-595f8966450363988bbb44e11a53eb5d

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:27 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Four months until UC Davis comes to visit for the season opener. I like their logo.

The 2013 Offseason - Page 6 Team_UC-Davis-Aggies23.pdf-595f8966450363988bbb44e11a53eb5d
Hmmm, we would drink beer and tip cows during my days at UP, but horses? Razz

(I'd say it's pretty obvious in we're enduring an NCAA D-1 Men's Basketball Dead Period.....it will be over at 5pm on Wednesday)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Hmm, this gives me an idea if the Pilots don’t return to their winning ways soon.

Cleveland Browns fan Scott Entsminger passed away on July 4, but before he passed, he wrote his own obituary that included one last shot at the team that failed to live up to his expectations.

His obituary published Sunday in The Columbus Dispatch, in part read, “He respectfully requests six Cleveland Browns pall bearers so the Browns can let him down one last time.” tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:41 pm

From UP Sports:
Nicholas, Barker Named to NABC Honors Court

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – University of Portland men's basketball players Ryan Nicholas and Riley Barker were named to the 2012-13 National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Honors Court, the NABC announced today. The NABC Honors Court recognizes collegiate basketball student-athletes who excelled in academics during the 2012-13 season.

Nicholas, who will enter his senior season this fall, has a 3.47 cumulative grade point average as a psychology major. He has twice earned West Coast Conference All-Academic Team honors. A native of Spokane, Wash., Nicholas led the Pilots in scoring (13.0) and rebounding (8.7) for the second year in a row.

Barker, a redshirt junior center, is a marketing major with a 3.43 cumulative grade point average. A WCC All-Academic honorable mention selection, Barker led the team in blocked shots (36) while averaging 3.7 points and 3.9 rebounds off the bench.

In order to be named to the Honors Court, a student-athlete must meet a high standard of academic criteria. The qualifications are as follows:
1. Academically a junior or senior and a varsity player.
2. Cumulative G.P.A. of 3.2 or higher at the conclusion of the 2012-13 academic year.
3. Students must have matriculated at least one year at their current institution.
4. Member of an NCAA Division I, II, III, or NAIA Division I or II institution
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:03 pm

No surprise here: Wiltjer is headed to Spokane.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:11 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:No surprise here: Wiltjer is headed to Spokane.
As you say, no surprise.

Gonzaga will be very tough this coming year, but the probable starting lineup in 20114-15 will be a killer:

1-Kevin Pangos
2-Gary Bell Jr.
3-Gerard Coleman
4-Kyle Wiltjer
5-Przemek Karnowski
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:26 pm

UP's starting lineup in 2014-15?

1. Alec Wintering
2. David Carr
3. Kevin Bailey
4. Volodymyr Gerun
5. Thomas van der Mars

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:30 pm

A more immediate question: What will UP's starting lineup be for 2013-14?

1. Carr?
2. Riley? Sharp? Pressley?
3. Bailey
4. Nicholas
5. van der Mars

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:18 pm

I notice another recent high school grad has been denied his release from his LOI.  Isaac Hamilton signed with UTEP last November, but with an ill grandmother (seems to be a lot of that going around) close to his southern California home, he’s decided he’d like to attend USC instead.

“He had two choices -- one, not to sign the letter of intent or two, to file an appeal. I'm not releasing him,” UTEP Coach Tim Floyd said. “We have made our schedule based on having Isaac. People have bought season tickets based on our having Isaac. It's too late. He can appeal and we'll wait to see what happens. If he is allowed out, we might as well not even have letters of intent.”

Hamilton is appealing to the National Letter of Intent Steering Committee….if he wins his appeal, he can choose another school and suit up immediately. If he loses his appeal, he will either have to play at UTEP or transfer to a different school and sit out a season.  I doubt he’ll ever play at UTEP!

So, in mid-summer this might not generate much discussion, but my question is your opinion of the fairness of the LOI rules to the student/athlete….especially at the big-time basketball schools.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:19 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:A more immediate question: What will UP's starting lineup be for 2013-14?

1. Carr?
2. Riley? Sharp? Pressley?
3. Bailey
4. Nicholas
5. van der Mars
Tough to speculate on the starting five for 2013-14…but I really only see one sure starter right now....Ryan Nicholas. There are just too many variables as to who starts, but I will be disappointed if we don’t see lots of minutes from Wintering right away!

Yes, Thomas will probably start….but don’t be surprised if Riley Barker doesn’t reach a level of defensive play that exceeds that of van der Mars and pushes him for the starting 5 spot.

What about Voldy?  Does he merely relieve Rhino, or do we see a lineup that includes the two of them on a semi-regular basis? It’s unlikely, considering the work that was done to make Voldy instantly eligible, but is there a possibility he’ll redshirt and fill-in for Rhino next year?

How long will it take for David Carr to get up-to-speed and show confidence after blowing out his knee?  Will Bryce have a breakout year and exceed the play of an inconsistent KB to win a starting spot at the wing?  What about the other two seniors, Korey and Tanner?  I would love to see them rise to a level that will allow Bobby Sharp to redshirt while improving his defense and also learning the offense….it can take any transfer a while to learn it all.

If Xubi were not from overseas, I believe he would redshirt…but as it is, I think he and JB will get a lot of bench time unless they show remarkable development early in the preseason.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Any insight into the preferred positions for the guards? (Preferred by the players themselves, and by the coaches...)

Wintering seems to be the only true PG on the team. My impression is that both Carr and Sharp are better at the 2 spot. But one of those guys, or both, will probably have to play a lot of minutes at PG. And is Xubi more likely to play the 1 or the 2?

I doubt that Sharp is a redshirt candidate. It has been explicitly stated by Reveno that he was brought in to meet a very immediate need for a consistent outside shooter.

Also unlikely that Gerun would redshirt. With Cason and Ehlers gone, he's the only 4 left to come off of the bench. I agree with DD that he and Nicholas could play together. At 6'-10" he's big enough to handle the post against most WCC big men.

DD: Why would Xubi being from overseas make him less likely to redshirt? We've got several guys at the 2 guard now (Carr, Sharp, Riley... +Pressley and Thieleke can play there if needed).

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Can you even rule out Pressley at PG, especially if Carr isn't back for the start of the season?

Agreed there's no way Sharp or Gerun redshirt. This program needs to put some Ws on the board this year and having these two guys in street clothes at the end of the bench won't help at all.

p.s. my five for the UC Davis game are Bailey, Nicholas, Pressley, Thieleke, and van der Mars.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:39 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:DD: Why would Xubi being from overseas make him less likely to redshirt? We've got several guys at the 2 guard now (Carr, Sharp, Riley... +Pressley and Thieleke can play there if needed).
Oh, just because he'll be homesick as heck with the complete change in his life, and it will take about a year to fully adjust.  If he were to redshirt I think he become disillusioned about being so far from home, family, and friends and not playing.

Totally agree that Gerun and Sharp have to play.  

Hard to say who the better PG is besides Alec....but if David's not ready, I think Bryce is the most likely backup.  If Alec plays as expected, he'll start the preseason and gain experience and confidence before WCC play starts......IMO. pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Basically this all comes down to which combination of players give us the best chance of winning. Considering there are a total of 200 player-minutes to divide my thoughts would be that the 80 minutes for the post players can be divided pretty evenly. I could even see Ryan playing a little 3 if he's not too much of a liability on defense, but play some zone and you can solve that problem.

No chance Voldy redshirts, their just isn't enough depth or patience for that to happen. Rev has to have some sense of urgency to win now.

I don't think Xubi redshirts as the looking toward the future, balance of recruiting classes needs to be evened out so if he adds anything to the team, he'll play. That goes for everybody on the team really.

But really there is a lot of playing time up for grabs at this point. My thought would be that Alec gets plenty of time running the point. Whoever the most consistent shooter is (Carr, Sharp, Riley) they will get minutes. Shooting is key for spacing, which will only help KB's game. He'll see a lot of floor time and will be relied on to carry the offense. Also, Presley will see a lot of time, as will Korey, if the spacing is there.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:33 pm

According to Verbal Commits, B.J. Porter has transferred from UP.

Thanks, VC! Tomorrow's news - Darren Cooper to transfer from Eastern Washington.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:04 am

I am surprised no one has mentioned this nugget yet... A tweet from Coach Wolf:

@CoachMikeWolf wrote:4am in Riga and the journey home begins. Can't wait to see my family and dig in to 10 days of training camp!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:33 am

An_Undergrad wrote:I am surprised no one has mentioned this nugget yet... A tweet from Coach Wolf:quote="@CoachMikeWolf"]4am in Riga and the journey home begins. Can't wait to see my family and dig in to 10 days of training camp!
Coach has been in Europe, including England, for close to two weeks, as I recall.

I too was heartened to see Riga mentioned in his tweet.....Oskars has traveled a lot since leaving UP, and I don't know if he's now at home, but it would be nice if they are staying in touch.  Not just to help Oskars get back to UP, but also just to help ensure he's keeping his life on track.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:45 am

https://wordpress.up.edu/purplepride/

Hey, take a peek at the new UP website...Purple Pride.  

Purple Pride’s mission is to increase student involvement in Pilot Athletics, create a fun and exciting atmosphere, bolster our home field/court advantage, provide opportunities to meet new people through an interest in athletics, and represent the University of Portland with integrity and sportsmanship.

It would appear to be a good site to bookmark as it's the OFFICIAL site to find info about upcoming games and promotions. The website is clearly for STUDENTS...but others can find good info there too.

You've got to like the first edition of the new Portland Pride website.....it includes the updated T-shirt logo that combines the traditional with the new.....something many of us have been lobbying for.

The 2013 Offseason - Page 6 2013-111
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:18 pm

That t-shirt is awesome. Not quite as great as the PN t-shirt 2.0 coming out this fall will be, but still great!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next