Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013-14 Schedule

+15
ShipstadPilot11
oh brody
goldhelmet
oldtimer
blacksheep
PilotNut
dholcombe
MaizeBluePurple
DaTruRochin
mattywizz
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
DTLegend
DoubleDipper
PurplePrideTrumpet
19 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2013-14 Schedule - Page 3 Empty Re: 2013-14 Schedule

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:19 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Nov. 18... that's gotta be in the vicinity of the first regular season game of the year, right?
Yea, Nov 18 is not a good date to remember from last year...that's the day the Pilots traveled to another MSU, Montana State U, and were blown out in their 3rd preseason (non-exhibition) game. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:05 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Welcome to D-I, Wintering, Aitor, and Sharp!
Ha-ha, you’re right; Xubi, Bobby, and Alec will find the whole D-1 thing an eye-opener, especially against Big Ten power, Michigan State.

Voldy, on the other hand, is actually the most experienced player on the UP roster against Big Ten schools. Of his total of 33 minutes of D-1 ball, eight minutes were against Michigan and 12 against Purdue. Smile
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:38 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Including MSU and OSU speculation there's now five opponents on the schedule.
Bradley (Vegas)
Michigan State (away)
Oregon State (?)
Portland State (away)
Princeton (Vegas)

Unclosed possible home and homes from last year -
Idaho State (away)
Montana State (home)
UNLV (away)
Out of 8 confirmed or presumed games on the non-conference docket, we've got 1 at home, 1 unknown, and 6 out of town (either true road games or in Vegas). This is starting to shape up like the non-conference schedule 2 years ago, when we had very few home games. Here's hoping the remaining slots in the schedule are filled with games at the Chiles Center.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:53 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Out of 8 confirmed or presumed games on the non-conference docket, we've got 1 at home, 1 unknown, and 6 out of town (either true road games or in Vegas). This is starting to shape up like the non-conference schedule 2 years ago, when we had very few home games. Here's hoping the remaining slots in the schedule are filled with games at the Chiles Center.

According to Reveno on Twitter, you can add UC Davis at home (Nov 8}. The Oregon State game is indeed away (Nov 13) which leads into the MSU away game on Nov 18 as scooped by DoubleDipper.

Yeah, home schedule does seem a little light as it stands. UC Davis confirmed and probably three other home dates (possibly including Montana State).

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:24 am

A more complete schedule is up online at pilotbasketball.com . Use this link

http://www.pilotbasketball.com/2013-14-Schedule

Date Day Opponent Location Time
Nov 8 Fri UC Davis Chiles
Nov 13 Wed Oregon St Corvallis
Nov 18 Mon Michigan St East Lansing
Nov 21-23 Thu-Sat Coaches vs. Cancer Classic
(Portland, North Texas
Columbia, Idaho)
Chiles
Nov 27 Wed San Jose St Chiles
Dec 1 Sun Southern UT Chiles
Dec 7 Sat Portland St Portland
Dec 15 Sun Montana St Chiles
Dec 20-21 Fri-Sat South Point Holiday Hoops Classic Las Vegas
Dec 20 Fri Princeton Las Vegas
Dec 21 Sat Bradley Las Vegas

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:39 am

So really, only 3 out of 11 preseason games are outside of Oregon, and only 4 outside of Portland.

Assuming UP will add two exhibition games in the Chiles Center....it looks to be a very good schedule for live view by those of us in the NW.

I'll personally miss only the Michigan State game live....and it will probably be on Big Ten TV. Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:59 am

DTLegend wrote:A more complete schedule is up online at pilotbasketball.com . Use this link

http://www.pilotbasketball.com/2013-14-Schedule

On an unrelated note: how long has this website been live?

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:02 pm

I have no idea. I saw it yesterday when an old player liked it on facebook and it came in my news feed. I messed around on it and it seemed pretty cool. I think it's a tool for recruits so they can see what UP Basketball is about, where it is currently, where it is heading in the future and things like that.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:06 pm

DTLegend wrote:I think it's a tool for recruits so they can see what UP Basketball is about, where it is currently, where it is heading in the future and things like that.
Exactly!

It is meant to be a recruiting tool, and supplements the social media that UP already widely employs....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:10 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Yeah, home schedule does seem a little light as it stands. UC Davis confirmed and probably three other home dates (possibly including Montana State).
Or six other Chiles dates. So much for the light home schedule.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Wow! This news is out there a lot earlier this year. Exciting stuff. I'm surprised that there is not a return trip to either UNLV or Idaho State. Great that there will be a little mini-tourney at the Chiles in November, featuring the Mean Green of North Texas, no less.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm surprised we haven't scheduled Seattle U the past two years. Speaking of the Redhawks, they need to get out of the WAC. This is going to be Idaho's last season in that conference, and after that the closest school to Seattle will be Utah Valley - over 800 miles away.

Conference breakdown of non-conference schedule (including all three opponents coming to the tourney in November, even though we'll probably play only two of them):

Big Sky: 3 (Southern Utah, PSU, Mont. St.)
Big Ten: 1 (Mich. St.)
Big West: 1 (Davis)
Ivy League: 2 (Columbia, Princeton)
Missouri Valley: 1 (Bradley)
Mountain West: 1 (San Jose)
Pac-12: 1 (OSU)
Sun Belt: 1 (North Texas)
Western Athletic: 1 (Idaho)

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:59 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Conference breakdown of non-conference schedule (including all three opponents coming to the tourney in November, even though we'll probably play only two of them):

I would guess that it'll be three games in three days...this is probably the "exempt" tournament that you're allowed to play in, so they'll probably take the opportunity to play all three opponents.

That was the case two years ago when the Pilots hosted UW Milwaukee, UC Davis, and FAU to open up the season. Everyone played everyone over the three-day event, and this one is also scheduled over three days.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:36 pm

I too would like to see us play a home-and-home with Seattle U, but I believe there are some politics we don't know about, and I also believe Coach Cameron Dollar may not be the easiest guy to deal with.

Thanks for the conference breakdown, NPN. That is a very broad spectrum of conferences/schools....I think it shows how Rev is known and liked amongst the coaching fraternity. Very Happy

And, yep, Deaner is correct, UP will play all three schools during the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:26 pm

On a date yet to be announced, but prior to the UC Davis game on Nov 8, UP will again play Concordia-Irvine....always a good, fun team to watch.  I believe C-I was the NAIA Champs two years ago (UP beat them 99-97 in overtime that year, as I recall).

That will be the only exhibition game this year as the Pilots will do what many other schools do, and what UP's women's basketball team and the soccer teams have done, they will play a closed (NCAA mandated) scrimmage against a PAC-12 school instead of an additional exhibition game.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:11 pm

We know the Pilot's preseason schedule, except for the date of the Concordia-Irvine game, but we probably won't learn the WCC schedule until August....

However, you can now make your Christmas plans as we've learned the first WCC game will be played on Saturday December 28...a week after UP's game against Bradley in Las Vegas.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Sean Farmer, Examiner.com, is again this year counting down the Top 25 players (in his estimation) in the WCC.   I always appreciate Sean writing about the WCC, but find he’s not fully informed about the contributions many of the players make to a team, but instead relies more on statistics…..But his predictions always make for good discussion and I doubt he has the time or is paid the money to “imbed” with a team to learn more about the student/athletes.

I’m guessing the only other UP player who will show up on the Top 25 list this year will be Ryan Nicholas….

Sean originally started out by listing Pepperdine SG Jordan Baker at #25, but when it was pointed out Jordan had transferred, he inserted Yannick Atanga.  

25. Yannick Atanga, RS So, F, Santa Clara
24. Gerard Coleman, RS Jr, G, Gonzaga (transfer from Providence)
23. Jito Kok, So, F/C, San Diego (another Dutchman via Canarias)
22. Thomas van der Mars, Jr, C, Portland (preseason ranked #24 last year)
Big guys are hard to come by and it is especially true of one that is skilled.

The West Coast Conference has had its share of good big men in the recent past. Omar Samhan. John Bryant. Robert Sacre.

This is not to say this next player is in their class but he has some similar skills he could have a breakout year in 2013-14.

With many players who have “potential,” you are always waiting for the moment when it clicks. This is especially true of big men.

That moment may have happened for Thomas van der Mars in the latter half of WCC play. In the second half of regular season play, he began putting up double figure points on a regular basis.

From November through the end of January, van der Mars scored in double figures six times, with his season-high being 13 against Montana State in the team’s third game of the year. From February to the end of the season, he scored in double figures seven times and had a high of 19 at BYU.

He averaged 11.7 points over his final nine games and included two double-doubles, something he had not done all season. The sophomore center averaged seven boards in that stretch, a full rebound and a half better than his season average.

It shows he is gaining confidence on offense and as van der Mars moves into his junior season, expect a jump in his numbers and impact.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:25 pm

I've gotta think Kevin Bailey will be on Zack Farmer's list, along with Nicholas.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:17 pm

I believe its Zack Farmer and as a blogger probably doesnt earn a salary, however it looks like examiner.com is more than just a basketball site so maybe there is some dollars made there.

I followed his Top 25 and rankings by position last year and found that he was not too far off after having a chance to review at the end of the season.

Thomas at 22 is a nice compliment, heck I would have liked to be in the top 25 in my CYO league! Nice work Thomas. I think that the top 10 maybe 15 will be laden with guards where last year there were a lot of PF and Posts. With that said I think Thomas is one of the best 5 men in the league and has a chance to improve on his contributions from last season. I think Kevin deserves to be on the list as well. He had a solid year considering he had the injury to deal with. Three UP players would be a nice compliment and possible sign of a good year to come next season.

Odds on where Ryan is ranked? I am going to say 12.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:18 pm

oldtimer wrote:I followed his Top 25 and rankings by position last year and found that he was not too far off after having a chance to review at the end of the season.
Not too far off, aside from leaving two of the three best players in the conference off of his list entirely: Olynyk and Haws.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:30 pm

oldtimer wrote:I believe its Zack Farmer and as a blogger probably doesnt earn a salary, however it looks like examiner.com is more than just a basketball site so maybe there is some dollars made there.

Odds on where Ryan is ranked? I am going to say 12.
Yes, thanks....it's Zack Farmer; Sean Farmer is a gentleman who conducts clinics and training for prep players (mostly girls, I believe) who are working on using their basketball skills to get into college.

Nicholas as 12 seems reasonable, but if Farmer truly understands Rhino's work, contributions, and leadership, he may end up in the top 10.

Last year he was called "underrated," and listed at #16.  https://www.pilotnation.net/t4648-ranking-wcc-players-by-position
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:57 am

Always looking for a sensible schedule, one that doesn't require a lot of travel or expense, this year's games against San Jose St. and UC Davis are home-and-home games that will allow the Pilots to play both schools in California next year during ONE trip.

Oregon State will play UP in Porltand NEXT fall....don't know the venue.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Conference breakdown of non-conference schedule :

Big Sky: 3 (Southern Utah, PSU, Mont. St.)
Big Ten: 1 (Mich. St.)
Big West: 1 (Davis)
Ivy League: 2 (Columbia, Princeton)
Missouri Valley: 1 (Bradley)
Mountain West: 1 (San Jose)
Pac-12: 1 (OSU)
Sun Belt: 1 (North Texas)
Western Athletic: 1 (Idaho)
One correction to the above list: North Texas just moved from Sun Belt to Conference USA.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:49 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:One correction to the above list: North Texas just moved from Sun Belt to Conference USA.
Hmm, interesting....as I recall the Sun Belt just gained Texas-Arlington, Texas St., and Georgia St......and I think the add four more schools next year including New Mexico St. and Idaho, bringing them to 14 schools.

Two things I know about North Texas St.

1. The beer cart girl at the Pumpkin Ridge on Friday is in graduate school at NTS, but "spending the summer in Portland."
2. NTS is where singer Norah Jones went to school (althouh Geez might be more familiar with graduate and singer Pat Boone).

Norah Jones:
2013-14 Schedule - Page 3 Norah10

Pat Boone:
2013-14 Schedule - Page 3 Pat10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:32 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Two things I know about North Texas St.
And one thing you didn't know...it hasn't been called North Texas State since 1988! Cool

Man it's fun getting you old timers riled up on here.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next