Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ Santa Clara - Thursday, 7:00 (CSN Northwest)

5 posters

Go down

Pilots @ Santa Clara - Thursday, 7:00 (CSN Northwest) Empty Pilots @ Santa Clara - Thursday, 7:00 (CSN Northwest)

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 am

This seems like an obvious win for the Pilots. Pilots beat LMU on the road. Santa Clara lost to LMU on the road. So.... ? Suspect

Pilots @ Santa Clara
Thursday, Jan. 31 - 7:00
Santa Clara, Calif.

Portland Radio - 800 AM
TV: CSN Northwest, CSN Bay Area
DirecTV: 696

Rankings
Pomeroy: Santa Clara 62, Portland 256
Sagarin: Santa Clara 82, Portland 253
RealTimeRPI: Santa Clara 70, Portland 239

Projected Scores
Pomeroy: Portland 57, Santa Clara 75 (5% chance of Pilots win)
RealTimeRPI: Portland 61, Santa Clara 82 (13.7% chance of Pilots win)

Portland (8-14 overall, 1-6 WCC) - Season Stats
WCC Wins - at Loyola Marymount
WCC Losses - at San Diego, at Pepperdine, Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, San Francisco, Brigham Young
Pilots record this year when Deaner makes the game thread: 2-1

Santa Clara (16-6 overall, 4-3 WCC) - Season Stats
WCC Wins - San Francisco, at San Francisco, at Pepperdine, at San Diego
WCC Losses - Gonzaga, at Loyola Marymount, Brigham Young

Portland Info
Game Preview
Full Game Notes

Santa Clara Info
Game Preview
Full Game Notes

Last edited by DeanMurdoch on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ Santa Clara - Thursday, 7:00 (CSN Northwest) Empty Re: Pilots @ Santa Clara - Thursday, 7:00 (CSN Northwest)

Post by writerpilot Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 am

Per Rev's Twitter, Tanner Riley will miss this game (WCC) suspension as well as Saturday (UP suspension).
writerpilot
writerpilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ Santa Clara - Thursday, 7:00 (CSN Northwest) Empty Re: Pilots @ Santa Clara - Thursday, 7:00 (CSN Northwest)

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:00 am

I think technically the first suspension is by NCAA rule, not WCC fiat.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:I think technically the first suspension is by NCAA rule, not WCC fiat.
Regardless, Tanner will not be traveling to the Bay Area, and his status will be "further evaluated"....source.

I wish I knew Tanner better, because without knowing him well, and just on the face of the incident which I witnessed live and replayed over and over again from the TV feed......if the decision were up to me (which it's not), he'd be gone from the team until at least next year!

Not just an embarrassment to most of us with UP ties, but an uncalled for outward display of immaturity, selfishness, and disrespect for his teammates, coach, and school.

I will really root for Tanner finishing school and getting his degree, but on the court, not so much......

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:I think technically the first suspension is by NCAA rule, not WCC fiat.
Regardless, Tanner will not be traveling to the Bay Area, and his status will be "further evaluated"....source.

I wish I knew Tanner better, because without knowing him well, and just on the face of the incident which I witnessed live and replayed over and over again from the TV feed......if the decision were up to me (which it's not), he'd be gone from the team until at least next year!

Not just an embarrassment to most of us with UP ties, but an uncalled for outward display of immaturity, selfishness, and disrespect for his teammates, coach, and school.

I will really root for Tanner finishing school and getting his degree, but on the court, not so much......

That seems a little harsh DD. I agree with the extra game suspension. I think a message needs to be sent that UP's standards are higher than those of the NCAA. That said, it's not like he cold-cocked the guy. I'll still root for Tanner to come out of his slump and start helping his team!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:21 pm

blacksheep wrote:That seems a little harsh DD. I agree with the extra game suspension. I think a message needs to be sent that UP's standards are higher than those of the NCAA. That said, it's not like he cold-cocked the guy. I'll still root for Tanner to come out of his slump and start helping his team!
OK, I’ll back off some if I know he’s apologized to all concerned……including his teammates and coaches. My ire is probably a generational thing anyway.

We all come from different backgrounds and experiences, but if there is one code that bonds most old military guys, it’s that we’ll never dishonor or embarrass our fellow fighters/teammates.

Remember, I’m the same guy, who when witnessing the display of the BYU crowd Saturday night said to you, “When I was growing up in Oakland, people like that (boisterous visiting fans) would have to fight their way out of the parking lot.”

So, I come from a city where the occasional battle was waged, but NEVER on the court. We knew that it meant our teammates, school, and coaches would be embarrassed and insulted by such a display if it were courtside.

“Take it outside” was an oft heard comment at practice….it applied to games too. If a teammate still felt the need to take it outside after a game….it happened outside just between the parties involved. But it happened very, very infrequently….. because by then, everyone had cooled down.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:27 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

We all come from different backgrounds and experiences, but if there is one code that bonds most old military guys, it’s that we’ll never dishonor or embarrass our fellow fighters/teammates unless there was a moral imperative.
FYP
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
blacksheep wrote:That seems a little harsh DD. I agree with the extra game suspension. I think a message needs to be sent that UP's standards are higher than those of the NCAA. That said, it's not like he cold-cocked the guy. I'll still root for Tanner to come out of his slump and start helping his team!
OK, I’ll back off some if I know he’s apologized to all concerned……including his teammates and coaches. My ire is probably a generational thing anyway.

We all come from different backgrounds and experiences, but if there is one code that bonds most old military guys, it’s that we’ll never dishonor or embarrass our fellow fighters/teammates.

Remember, I’m the same guy, who when witnessing the display of the BYU crowd Saturday night said to you, “When I was growing up in Oakland, people like that (boisterous visiting fans) would have to fight their way out of the parking lot.”

So, I come from a city where the occasional battle was waged, but NEVER on the court. We knew that it meant our teammates, school, and coaches would be embarrassed and insulted by such a display if it were courtside.

“Take it outside” was an oft heard comment at practice….it applied to games too. If a teammate still felt the need to take it outside after a game….it happened outside just between the parties involved. But it happened very, very infrequently….. because by then, everyone had cooled down.
Them's fightin' words!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:50 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:We all come from different backgrounds and experiences, but if there is one code that bonds most old military guys, it’s that we’ll never dishonor or embarrass our fellow fighters/teammates unless there was a moral imperative.
FYP
Agreed and approved!

I can only think of twice, offhand, and both were in Vietnam.....so yea, "unless there was a moral imperative."

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Back on topic.....

From UP Athletics:
ABOUT SANTA CLARA
• The Broncos (16-6, 4-3 WCC) enter Thursday riding a four-game winning streak including a 64-50 victory at San Diego on Jan. 26.
• Santa Clara is averaging 76.9 points per game, while senior G Kevin Foster ranks third in the WCC at 19.5 per game.
• Foster is the Broncos’ all-time leading scorer with 2,178 career points.
• Senior F Marc Trasolini averages 15.5 points and is third in the WCC at 8.2 rebounds per game.
• Junior PG Evan Roquemore chips in 13.1 points and is second in the WCC at 6.2 assists per game.
• Head coach Kerry Keating is in his sixth year at SCU and posts a 90-95 career record.
• The Broncos are coming off of an 0-16 WCC record a year ago as Trasolini missed the season with a knee injury and Foster was suspended and missed the final 11 games of the season.
• Santa Clara was picked to finish sixth in the WCC Preseason Coaches Poll.
• Portland has won the last four meetings with the Broncos, including an opening round WCC Tournament victory in Las Vegas on Feb. 29 of last year (74-70).

TANNER RILEY TO MISS NEXT TWO GAMES
• Junior G Tanner Riley will serve a two-game suspension after being ejected in the second half of Saturday’s game vs. BYU.
• Riley will miss Thursday’s game at Santa Clara because of an automatic one-game suspension as mandated by NCAA rules. The University extended the suspension to include Saturday’s game at Saint Mary’s.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:22 pm

Last time I looked the wind chill was -53 F here and I'm about to venture out into this crap to head to the one bar in this godforsaken town that actually has DirecTV so I can watch the purple.

I know the Pilots have the 312th ranked offence in the NCAA and they're on the road tonight against a pretty damned good team, but I think the basketball gods owe me one for venturing out in weather where exposed skin will get frostbite within a maxiumum of 10 minutes.

So I predict a Pilots win tonight. Or at least a close loss, which is kind of like a win. Semi-baseless optimism. Whatever.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:13 pm

I think the frostbite would be less painful than the first 5 minutes of this game.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 pm

Yeeeeuck.

Slow Start Dooms Men’s Hoops in Road Loss at Santa Clara

SANTA CLARA, Calif. --- The Santa Clara Broncos opened up a 28-4 lead and cruised to a 70-46 victory over the Portland Pilots Thursday night in West Coast Conference action at the Leavey Center. Marc Trasolini scored 23 points and 13 rebounds for the Broncos, while junior forward Ryan Nicholas paced the Pilots with 14 points and eight rebounds.

Portland was held without a field goal for the first 11:37 of the game as the Broncos (17-6, 5-3 WCC) built a 28-4 lead. Freshman guard Bryce Pressley’s steal and layup at the 8:33 mark snapped a 0-for-15 field goal streak. Santa Clara went into the break with a 36-18 lead as the Pilots were 5-for-27 from the field.

The lead swelled to as much as 26 points early in the second half on a Trasolini layup. Portland was able to use 13-4 run to cut the deficit to 17 points, but the Pilots (8-15, 1-7) would get no closer as the Broncos cruised to their fifth straight win.

It was Portland’s fifth consecutive loss and third straight game in which the Pilots allowed their opponent to shoot 50 percent or better from the field. SCU finished the game 26-for-52 from the floor in the game, while Portland was 13-for-50 (.260).

Pressley was once again solid for Portland off the bench finishing with a season-high eight points and four assists. He also recorded six steals, a Portland season-high.

The Pilots will continue their Bay Area road swing on Saturday at Saint Mary’s. Tip-off is set for 4:30 p.m. and the game will be televised live on ROOT Sports Northwest and Comcast SportsNet California.

Newspaper Box Score
Portland vs Santa Clara
01/31/13 7 pm at Santa Clara, Calif.
At Santa Clara, Calif.
SANTA CLARA 70, PORTLAND 46

PORTLAND (8-15, 1-7)
NICHOLAS, Ryan 4-14 4-5 14; RODGERS, Derrick 1-5 6-6 8; PRESSLEY, Bryce 3-4
2-2 8; VAN DER MARS, Thomas 3-6 0-0 6; REINFELDS, Oskars 1-8 2-3 4; BAILEY,
Kevin 0-10 2-2 2; EHLERS, Jake 0-3 2-3 2; BARKER, Riley 1-1 0-0 2; THIELEKE,
Korey 0-0 0-0 0; AHERN, David 0-0 0-0 0; BAILEY, John 0-1 0-0 0. Totals
13-52 18-21 46.

SANTA CLARA (17-6, 5-3)
TRASOLINI, Marc 11-17 1-2 23; CLARK, Brandon 4-6 5-6 15; COWELS, Raymond III
4-7 0-0 11; FOSTER, Kevin 3-8 3-3 10; ATANGA, Yannick 2-3 0-0 4; ROQUEMORE,
Evan 1-6 1-2 3; PERRICONE, Kyle 1-2 0-0 2; McARTHUR, John 0-2 2-2 2;
JOHNSON, Denzel 0-0 0-0 0; HARRISON, Niyi 0-0 0-0 0; CLARKE, Julian 0-1 0-0
0. Totals 26-52 12-15 70.

Portland...................... 18 28 - 46
Santa Clara................... 36 34 - 70

3-point goals--Portland 2-12 (NICHOLAS, Ryan 2-5; REINFELDS, Oskars 0-4;
BAILEY, Kevin 0-3), Santa Clara 6-18 (COWELS, Raymond III 3-4; CLARK,
Brandon 2-3; FOSTER, Kevin 1-5; PERRICONE, Kyle 0-1; CLARKE, Julian 0-1;
ROQUEMORE, Evan 0-3; TRASOLINI, Marc 0-1). Fouled out--Portland-None, Santa
Clara-None. Rebounds--Portland 26 (NICHOLAS, Ryan 8 ), Santa Clara 40
(ATANGA, Yannick 13; TRASOLINI, Marc 13). Assists--Portland 8 (PRESSLEY,
Bryce 4; RODGERS, Derrick 4), Santa Clara 16 (ROQUEMORE, Evan 6). Total
fouls--Portland 16, Santa Clara 18. Technical fouls--Portland-None, Santa
Clara-None. A-1121

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:03 pm

Well I guess the basketball gods owed me nothing.

That was.....something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 pm

PilotNut wrote:I think the frostbite would be less painful than the first 5 minutes of this game.

Frostbite doesn't hurt. Nerves are frozen. It's the thawing out that bites.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Well I guess the basketball gods owed me nothing.

That was.....something.
Are you still in the bar?

Do you need us FedEx you a nice goose down parka from Columbia Sportswear so you can get back home?

Please keep starting the game threads....it's unfortunate they are better than the actual games, but at least THEY are worth looking at.

Pilots @ Santa Clara - Thursday, 7:00 (CSN Northwest) Jacket10

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 pm

Line of the night after about the first five minutes from one of my buddies that watched the game with me. None of them know anything about college hoops. "So, uhhh. Is Santa Clara in the top five in the country?"

Home now, thanks for your concern DD. Checked PN at halftime and looked as if (and rightfully so) most had turned the channel after the first couple minutes. Just an absolute stinker.

Pilots were so bad tonight, no one even bothered to bump the "State of the Program" thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:48 pm

Also...do we not have enough money in the budget to get an AHERN name bar for his jersey? I'm pretty sure I could get one made up here if that's the case.

Back to top Go down