Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ San Diego Thursday @ 8 pm on TV

+5
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
dholcombe
DoubleDipper
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pilots @ San Diego Thursday @ 8 pm on TV - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots @ San Diego Thursday @ 8 pm on TV

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:35 pm

oh brody wrote:Surgery?!? Any idea when he's estimated to return? I hope he is doing okay and its nothing too serious.
We knew there would come a time when the swelling in KB's broken nose would go down enough to have it "rearranged".....and I've been told that's what was done. Generally, the biggest problem post-op is the bleeding, swelling, and affects of the anesthesia.

KB should be back for LMU, put is not planning on PU.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ San Diego Thursday @ 8 pm on TV - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots @ San Diego Thursday @ 8 pm on TV

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:40 pm

dholcombe wrote:He played almost half the game tonight. His foot condition is really one of those things where it's probably up to him about how it feels any given day. My mom has the same condition if what I heard is correct and it's something that really only goes away with rest. Wearing the boot around all day should help and he can take it off at game time...playing won't help, but it's a choice. Surgery for such a condition is rare.
You are correct in all respects.

Playing is a choice at this point....because the only real cure is long-term rest. I too have had this condition and finally had to quit running for six months and the condition went away not to return. I'm guessing with the short bench the Pilots are playing, Oskars' six months will begin in early March.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 pm

Yes, we lost, but I really liked the effort.

To win the Pilots need to go inside/outside, but there's no outside!

I've seen Oskars in practice...he can flat out shoot. But as we've learned, it seems to take UP's players a year or two get the confidence and experience to shoot with consistency.

Bryce also can shoot, but until his confidence gets a boost, he will continue to be a slasher.....but an effective one.

Derrick and Korey are defensive players. David is just holding his own at the PG. Tanner looks like a whipped dog.

So what does that leave? The inside game; Ryan, Riley, and Thomas.

KB's return will certainly help...if he'll dribble drive and draw fouls, but I think the Pilots may have to rely more and more on Oskars and Bryce from the outside....that's a lot to ask of the freshmen, but at this point what have they got to lose.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:17 am

Former teammates (Canarius), but friends forever. Oskars and Jito Kok (now with USD) at last night’s game.

Pilots @ San Diego Thursday @ 8 pm on TV - Page 2 Once_t10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:42 am

Late game execution really hurt us, just like it did in the UNLV game.

The game was tied at 43-43 at the 6:13 mark, at which point... we turned it over three times, shot 3-12, went 1-3 from the line, and commited seven fouls.

Especially brutal was that stretch during the two-minute mark, when we were down by three, Derrick missed two shots, and USD made two buckets (one an "and 1"). Game went from within reach to out of reach in the blink of an eye.

I hate to second-guess the coaches who know a ton more about basketball than I ever will, but I'm not sure why 1) Derrick is even in the game at the end when we need points (I respect his effort, but it's 4-5 on offense when he's out there) and 2) Derrick is the guy who is taking our shots. I know our offense isn't great, but you'd think it would make sense to not have our worst offensive player taking our shots in the deciding moments of the game.

Here's our total late-game play-by-play, if you can stomach it:

6:14 - Game tied 43-43
6:13 - Foul on Korey, USD 2-2 on FT (USD by 2)
5:47 - Turnover by Ryan
5:38 - Foul on Korey, USD 2-2 on FT (USD by 4)
5:15 - Foul on USD, Derrick 1-2 on FT (USD by 3)
4:35 - Turnover by Thomas
4:05 - David missed three
3:44 - Turnover by Thomas
2:57 - Derrick missed jumper
2:50 - Foul on David, USD "and 1" (USD by 6)
2:24 - Derrick missed layup
2:28 - USD made layup (USD by Cool
2:03 - Ryan missed layup
2:00 - Ryan made layup, fouled, missed FT (USD by 6)
1:29 - USD made three (USD by 9)
1:17 - Ryan made jumper (USD by 7)
1:05 - Foul on Tanner, USD 2-2 FT (USD by 9)
0:54 - Tanner missed layup, blocked
0:48 - Tanner missed three
0:46 - Foul on David, USD 1-2 FT (USD by 10)
0:38 - David missed layup, blocked
0:37 - Foul on Ryan, USD 2-2 FT (USD by 12)
0:31 - Ryan missed three
0:28 - Thomas made layup (USD by 10)
0:27 - Foul on David, USD 1-2 FT (USD by 11)
0:20 - Ryan missed three

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:50 am

Agreed on the pain, Stonehouse... ughhh. There were a couple possessions last night where both Rogers and Carr had decent open looks, and didnt take the shot--they weren't even looking for a chance. It was disappointing. Finishing at / near the rim continued to be a problem, too.

I would like to see a lot more Oskars (health dependent) and Bryce on the floor all game, actually. We need some degree of outside threat...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2