Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Website

5 posters

Go down

Website Empty Website

Post by DTLegend Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:02 pm

So I'm not sure what websites you all use for recruiting news but I just happened to stumble upon this gem:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/portland

One interesting thing to note is that just today, Kendall Smith was added so I'm not too sure what that means, if anything, but something to keep an eye out for.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Website Empty Re: Website

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:17 pm

Smith is in the class of 2013. If this is true, does it mean that Cason is done for good? Otherwise, we have no scholarship spots available.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:32 pm

I really like the table format of this page! This may be "sticky worthy" to keep it at the top of the forum, if the data proves to be reliable!

If you look on the right side of that page, the different color fonts mean different things. Kendall Smith is coded as a prospect, not a verbal commit.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Yeah, I don't really know how I came upon it. Didn't really think googling "University of portland basketball recruit" would give me something different the 500th time I did it but it did.

Another great feature is the prospect pages. They list their rankings in all websites (scouts, espn, etc. ) as well as video's, twitter mentions, their actual twitter account. Also the table is a great feature.

Pilot, I know Smith is just a prospect, but I found it interesting that he was added today. I'm not sure how or when they decide to update, but it's interesting that we haven't seen Cason, nor heard anything really about why he is out, and now, with no scholarships, he appears up on the site.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:03 pm

I view this website from time-to-time, and find it to be of some interest, but also find that it can be outdated and highly inaccurate...I've never posted any info from it here.

You'll note a few inaccuracies on the Pilots page; Mossman, Wintering, Ahern and Barker for example, but what always annoyed me about the site was its name.....I rarely see verbal commits.

Re: K. Smith; he's a Bay Area kid the staff saw when they were looking at Ahern. One of the coaches may have seen him this weekend before heading to Albuquerque....but that is NOT confirmed.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:34 pm

DTLegend wrote:I'm not sure how or when they decide to update, but it's interesting that we haven't seen Cason, nor heard anything really about why he is out, and now, with no scholarships, he appears up on the site.
We've had some discussion here on PN regarding Dorian....basically, UP is not allowed to say much. But we know that he's had academic and attitude problems that have affected his work ethic and level of fitness. The staff is working with him and monitoring his progress, but he is currently NOT part of the team while under suspension.

He's been at each of the games since his suspension...usually sitting in the student section and easily recognizable by his stylish sideway ball cap.

He still has his scholarship, but the ball is in his court, so to speak, whether he retains the scholarship for next year...or even next semester.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:55 am

Based upon just this (edited) article from Silicon Valley MercuryNews.com, you can see why Mr. Smith is garnering some attention and a few offers:
Kendall Smith scored a tournament record 48 points as the Deer Valley High boys basketball team downed Sacramento 97-96 in a double-overtime thriller Saturday in the feature game of the NorCal Tip-Off Classic at Newark Memorial High.

Deer Valley (2-0) was down 91-86 with 10.7 seconds left but got a 3-pointer from Smith with 6.6 seconds to go. Then the 6-foot-3 senior point guard banked in a runner in the lane as time expired in the first overtime.

Smith, who was named the player of the game, scored 15 points in overtime. Teammate Marcus Lee, who is signed with Kentucky, finished with 22 points.

In the second overtime, Sacramento took a 96-95 lead on a layup by De'Von Boyd with just under a minute left. But, after a couple of turnovers by both teams, Deer Valley struck with Smith again.

Smith got a steal at midcourt, drove to the hoop and converted a layup with 11 seconds left that gave Deer Valley a 97-96 lead with two seconds to go.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Any time a player is out on suspension as many games as Cason has been it's not a good sign. The fact he's showing up to games and supporting his team is at least a sign that he's not completely disinterested. I suppose if someone really wanted the story they could walk over and ask if he cared to share, but even if one were to do that I wouldn't go posting it all over the internet if he doesn't want it there. And I'm assuming he doesn't because with facebook, etc. if he wanted the information known by everyone, we'd know it by now.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:21 pm

dholcombe wrote:And I'm assuming he doesn't because with facebook, etc. if he wanted the information known by everyone, we'd know it by now.
I spoke to Dorian after the Lewis and Clark game, but only to offer everyone's support and our hopes for everything turning out well for him. Told him to keep his chin up and that he wasn't the first or last student/athlete to make mistakes.

As it was a relatively private conversation, I won't publically quote Dorian's response, but he appeared to be positive about his progress and his ability to move forward.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 pm

You didn't offer him any advice like this, did you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkeAzqhlkNk

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:38 pm

up7587 wrote:You didn't offer him any advice like this, did you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkeAzqhlkNk
Ha-ha, no, but almost. I actually complimented him on his "stylish headgear."

Wandering around campus as I did on Monday, I saw a number of UP collegians with their caps on sideways....I'm guessing it's just a way for EVERYONE to act as INDIVIDUALS. Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down