Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm

+6
blacksheep
Geezaldinho
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
ShipstadPilot11
PilotNut
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm - Page 2 Empty Re: Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:07 am

I just figured it was Pia Sundhage's twin brother's first name... (OK I'm done...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm - Page 2 Empty Re: Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:22 am

So yeah, about that basketball game tonight at 7:00pm...

This will hopefully be a chance for the freshmen to get more floor time, but also for the whole team to continue to work on executing some consistent & crisp offense. I also would like to see us put the foot on the gas and compete for a full 40 minutes, and do not let the Pios have even the slightest thoughts of being in the game...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:34 am

Coach Rev wrote:Center Riley Barker is out for tonights game with a stomach bug or something that sounds plain nasty to me. Need to get him back 100% ASAP.
Rev's Tweet

Tonight is as good a game as any for Riley to miss. Thomas will have to assert himself inside and I'm guessing we'll see more of John Bailey tonight. Or maybe more of our small lineup with Kevin and Korey playing the 3 and 4.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 am

Today’s scouting report:

Lewis and Clark stayed pretty close to UP in last year’s game before finally losing 76-64.

Top scorers for UP last year were Thomas (19); Kevin (14); and Ryan (11) with 9 rebounds.

L/C’s top two scorers from last year are gone, but senior Ross Ericson, who scored 16 last year, is back averaging over 17 points per game. The 6’6” wing is the tallest player on the team to get any significant playing time for the Pioneers….I’m guessing KB will be covering him most of the night.

L/C’s scoring has been very impressive this year; five of their players are averaging in double figures:

#3 Erickson 17.3
#24 Sims 13.3
#5 Parker 12.3
#22 Freeberg 11.3
#2 Ovchinnikov 11.3

Bottom line: L/C has outscored its opponents 85-60 three games into their season.

UP should be able to win inside and from speedy play from Kevin and Korey…..everyone should get a chance to play, but will it be considered a tune-up for the WSU game on Saturday? Riley Barker will of course be missed; looking back to last year against L/C he played six minutes with zero shots and three rebounds.

Question: can the players focus on this game, and not look ahead?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11214
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Question: can the players focus on this game, and not look ahead?

Here's hoping. Last two games have been steps forward for this team...another solid performance tonight would be great to see, especially one involving Nicholas getting the touch back.

I still have a pipe dream of this team with 10 wins heading into WCC play...that, unfortunately, will likely require a road non-conference win - the best chance of which is coming up against Wazzu (cause I hear Kentucky is okay this year). Oops, what was that about not looking ahead?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Pioneers up by one with seven minutes left in the first. L&C is 5-for-9 from three-point land....this can't keep going on all game, can it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:50 pm

So a 78-73 win.

Don't care what division a team is...if you're going to shoot 14-for-26 from three-point land like the Pioneers did tonight, you're going to be a tough team to beat and Lewis & Clark certainly was that tonight.

Usual bursts of energy from Thieleke who's fast becoming my favorite player and Rodgers had a few good plays on the defensive side of the ball (couple outside jumpers too). Really wish we'd find more possessions down low for Van der Mars.

Nicholas showed some touch later on. He'll be all right.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 pm

I look forward to seeing the full box score on this game... the Pilots had 4 turnovers for the game, 0 in the 2nd half... We shot reasonably overall, made FT's, but were cold from 3.

Rev was satisfied with the energy level, but we still seemed to struggle to get the ball down low...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:47 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:What would we most like to see from the team in this game, which comes right in the midst of the murderers' row stretch of the schedule (@New Mexico, @WSU, UNLV, @UK)?

This is an important chance to address some key areas of concern before the next three tough games. My wish list:

1) Nicholas gets back on track. His shooting has been awful for the last three games (7-30 from the field). We need him to find his touch if we're to have any chance of being competitive this season. Score this one a partial complete. Ryan did make some shots, but he still left several short.

2) Thieleke continues his excellent play. If he continues to play well and gain confidence, I believe it can be contagious. He plays with such energy and emotion, I think he makes everyone else better when he is on the floor. I've loved seeing Thieleke and K. Bailey on the floor together. Score: complete. Other than being 0 - 4 from 3pt, he played well.

3) Rodgers asserts himself offensively. If Rodgers can keep scoring at least 8 points per game, it will be a huge boost to the team. He needs to be a bit more aggressive and continue to take shots! He is a tenacious defender, and some offensive production will make it so that the coaches can afford to leave him on the floor for extended minutes. I'd like to see Rodgers move into the starting lineup. Score: mostly complete. He did get 11 points! But there were a couple time we were saying "shoot, Derek," when he was left unguarded outside.

4) Someone, anyone, step up and make some three-pointers. Riley? Carr? Pressley? Score: incomplete. Bailey 2 - 2, Reinfelds 2 - 2. Everyone else 0 - 9.

5) Let's set a new season-low in turnovers. The mark to beat is 13 against Idaho State. Score: complete! Only 4 TOs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:52 pm

up7587 wrote:All good points. I would also like to see more aggresive scoring from the centers; they will have a significant height advantage. The tallest players listed on the L&C roster are 6'-7". And I would hope to see a dominating rebound advantage. Finally, keep the personal fouls to a minimum, by being in good position and not reaching.
On these points, we did not see aggressive low post scoring. Rebounds were almost even until the very end. But there were only 14 PFs, and L&C only got 8 FT attempts. There were no FTs shot by either team in the first half. So, only one for three on the areas I was hoping to see.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Most surprising stat line.

15 RODGERS.
11pts
4-8 sh
0-2tps
3-4 foulshots
4 asst
0 TO
1blk
1steal
26min

Just he fact that he became part of the offense is huge. We won't have to play 4 on 5 In the set offense when he is in there.

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Some will of course disagree, but I thought the Pilots played well…including the defense. L/C is so good at spreading the court, as many teams are, but they quickly spread and then quickly shoot with uncanny accuracy. I think they were 14/26 and 27/54 overall.

The Pilots actually had a slightly higher shooting percentage, 51% on 29/57. Face it, UP is not a 3-point shooting team now, but Oscars was 2/2, so there is hope.

It was nice to see Derrick step up on offense and defense again tonight…he worked very, very hard at his shooting this summer, and the work is starting to pay off. His teammates seem to have great confidence in him as more than once I’ve heard them tell him to shoot. In Albuquerque Korey outright yelled for him to shoot the three he made.

Saturday’s game at WSU will be on the Pac 12 network; it won’t be easy, but a win would do wonders for their confidence…..did we have any road wins last year except over SCU? I can’t think of any.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:56 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Most surprising stat line.

15 RODGERS.
11pts
4-8 sh
0-2tps
3-4 foulshots
0 TO
1blk
1steal
26min

Just he fact that he became part of the offense is huge. We won't have to play 4 on 5 In the set offense when he is in there.
What that stat line DOESN'T show was Derrick's very strong, physical defense....he was definitely a difference maker tonight.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:06 pm

up7587 wrote:
NoPoNeighbor wrote:What would we most like to see from the team in this game, which comes right in the midst of the murderers' row stretch of the schedule (@New Mexico, @WSU, UNLV, @UK)?

This is an important chance to address some key areas of concern before the next three tough games. My wish list:

1) Nicholas gets back on track. His shooting has been awful for the last three games (7-30 from the field). We need him to find his touch if we're to have any chance of being competitive this season. Score this one a partial complete. Ryan did make some shots, but he still left several short. I'm still worried about Nicholas. While he did score 12, almost all of his points were on layups and put-backs. He continued to struggle on mid-range jumpers, which is an area that we need him to be consistent in. Most of his buckets tonight wouldn't have happened against teams with more size down low. Let's hope that putting some points on the board tonight will get him on the right track...

2) Thieleke continues his excellent play. If he continues to play well and gain confidence, I believe it can be contagious. He plays with such energy and emotion, I think he makes everyone else better when he is on the floor. I've loved seeing Thieleke and K. Bailey on the floor together. Score: complete. Other than being 0 - 4 from 3pt, he played well. Agreed. He led the team in minutes played again. I'd like to see him continue to be aggressive in going to the hoop!

3) Rodgers asserts himself offensively. If Rodgers can keep scoring at least 8 points per game, it will be a huge boost to the team. He needs to be a bit more aggressive and continue to take shots! He is a tenacious defender, and some offensive production will make it so that the coaches can afford to leave him on the floor for extended minutes. I'd like to see Rodgers move into the starting lineup. Score: mostly complete. He did get 11 points! But there were a couple time we were saying "shoot, Derek," when he was left unguarded outside. Teams are going to leave him unguarded on the perimeter until he can make them pay for it. He's looked pretty good the last couple of games shooting from a couple of feet inside the arc, and obviously has WAY more confidence from that range than from outside of the arc. When the defense sags off of him on the perimeter, I think he could take a quick step or two inside of the arc and get up some high percentage shots. But overall, he had a great game.

4) Someone, anyone, step up and make some three-pointers. Riley? Carr? Pressley? Score: incomplete. Bailey 2 - 2, Reinfelds 2 - 2. Everyone else 0 - 9. After Reinfelds got off to the quick start, I was hoping he'd get some more minutes to continue establishing an offensive rhythm. He scored 8 points in 7 minutes. We know that K. Bailey can be streaky from outside the arc. So, in short, this is still a big area of concern. Tanner Riley didn't attempt a singe three-pointer.

5) Let's set a new season-low in turnovers. The mark to beat is 13 against Idaho State. Score: complete! Only 4 TOs This was great!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Some will of course disagree, but I thought the Pilots played well…including the defense.
I agree. I thought the Pilots played well on both ends of the court and played with energy. L&C can really stroke the ball from three. Their 14 three pointers really kept them in the game and pulled them back within striking distance every time the Pilots started to build a comfortable lead. There were a number of defensive possessions where I thought the Pilots played good "D" yet somehow, somehow, the Pioneers were able to get their 3-point shot off and make it. A number of us in the stands could only chuckle at the incredible shots they made. If L&C continues to shoot the ball like that, they will win a lot of games this year. All in all it was a good game, and much more exciting than I was anticipating.
oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Ryan's drop off in shooting. On the Pilots' very first trip down the floor Rev ran almost to half court screaming at Ryan to shoot the three. He passed it up, I think he only made one attempt all night, but it shows the confidence the staff has in Ryan....possibly they are attempting to once again instill that confidence in Ryan too.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm a little pissed we didn't actually get to see history's first 5 point play. The L&C guy missed his second free throw.

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:19 pm

A few more thoughts...

1) I was disappointed that van der Mars did not get more touches down low. He looked good shooting it when he did get touches in the paint (3-4 from the field). However, I thought it was smart of Rev to switch to a small line-up in the second half.

2) We need to have a defensive strategy in place for when we face a team that is hot from beyond the arc. L&C had way too much room to get shots off tonight. Reminded me of last year's game against USD at home.

3) Really great to see Ehlers get the first points of his college career!

4) As if we needed a reminder, John Bailey has ZERO touch around the rim. He "lay-ups" are usually more akin to pinball shots. I hate to say it, but he's a liability on both ends of the court. This team is really missing Cason, because we have no real back-up for Nicholas.

5) Kevin Bailey should work on finishing at the rim. He is exceptionally athletic and does a great job of getting to the basket. BUT, once he gets in the paint he often does unnecessary pump-fakes and misses make-able layups. He often gets fouled on these plays, and he's a good free-throw shooter. However, there have been several times this season when he's had the chance for a three-point play but hasn't been able to make the bucket. This is definitely one of those nitpicky issues, but I have noticed it consistently this year, and it is costing us a few points each game. If Bailey can make this sort of improvement, he will take his game to the next level. He has huge potential.

Last edited by NoPoNeighbor on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:20 pm

1) Nicholas gets back on track. His shooting has been awful for the last three games (7-30 from the field). We need him to find his touch if we're to have any chance of being competitive this season. Score this one a partial complete. Ryan did make some shots, but he still left several short. I'm still worried about Nicholas. While he did score 12, almost all of his points were on layups and put-backs. He continued to struggle on mid-range jumpers, which is an area that we need him to be consistent in. Most of his buckets tonight wouldn't have happened against teams with more size down low. Let's hope that putting some points on the board tonight will get him on the right track...
Well said. I share your concerns. We need Ryan to get back to being Rhino ASAP!
oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:26 pm

oh brody wrote:There were a number of defensive possessions where I thought the Pilots played good "D" yet somehow, somehow, the Pioneers were able to get their 3-point shot off and make it.
Ha-ha, on the only 3-pt shot that Erickson made (26 points), the defense was so tight that it forced Erickson to put such a high arc on his shot that it would have hit the rafters in most D-3 gyms.

There coach, Dinari Foreman, L&C '95, appears to be a great guy, AND a great coach....very calm and very much the teacher. Had to laugh when his turnover of his dry-erase marker stopped the clock momentarily when it fell at the feet of his player with the ball.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:36 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:I'm a little pissed we didn't actually get to see history's first 5 point play. The L&C guy missed his second free throw.

This.

I am not totally sure on the rulebook here, but that was one ballsy call to allow the shot to count. Credit to the shooter who saw the foul happening (or should I say happen?) and then shucked it up. Baited the ref hook line and sinker.

Otherwise a well-played game on the Pilots' part. Anytime you shoot 50% from the field and 80% from the line while outrebounding the opposition and committing only four turnovers, you'll in all likelihood come out on top. Thielke has been a revelation this year. Really geared up to see his continued development. Nice to see someone bring attitude to the court.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 pm

On the Web: http://portlandpilots.com/news/2012/11/28/MBB_1128120306.aspx

Pilots Improve to 3-0 at Chiles Center with Victory over Lewis & Clark

PORTLAND, Ore. --- Ryan Nicholas and Kevin Bailey scored 12 points each as the University of Portland Pilots improved to 3-0 at the Chiles Center with a 78-73 victory over the Lewis & Clark Pioneers Tuesday night. All eleven Pilots to see action scored, including senior guard Derrick Rodgers with 11 points and four assists off the bench.

The Pilots (3-3) shot 51 percent from the field for the game, but never led by more than seven as the pesky Pioneers (3-1) drilled 14-of-26 three-pointers to keep the game close.

Portland led the entirety of the second half after being tied 36-36 at halftime. The Pilots opened the period with a 12-5 run capped by a Korey Thieleke jumper for a 48-41 edge. Back-to-back layups by Rodgers gave UP a 69-63 edge with 4:23 remaining, but Jason Luhnow drilled a three-pointer as Scott Pisapia was simultaneously fouled by the Pilots. Pisapia made one of two free throws to make it a 71-69 game with 2:17 left.

Bailey and Nicholas hit clutch runners in the final two minutes and then Nicholas drained a pair of free throws to put the game out of reach at 77-70 with 17 seconds remaining.

Senior Ross Erickson paced the visiting Pios with a game-high 26 points on 11-of-18 shooting. Quentin Sims added 15 points, going 5-for-10 from three-point range.

Portland committed just four turnovers in the game and racked up an 18-2 edge in points off of turnovers. The Pilots also held a decisive 34-16 margin in points in the paint and held a 30-24 edge on the boards.

The Pilots played without sophomore center Riley Barker, who battled a stomach virus. Freshmen Oskars Reinfelds and Jake Ehlers provided an offensive boost off the bench with season highs of eight and six points, respectively.

Portland will look for its first road win of the season when the team travels to Pullman, Wash. to take on the Washington State Cougars Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The game will be televised live on the Pac-12 Network, while radio coverage begins at 7 p.m. on True Talk 800 KPDQ.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Ref: NPN's points #4 and #5 above....yea, I cetainly agree.

#4 - JB is probably the smartest and hardest working guy on the team, but it's as if his arms/hands are not connected to his brain or there's a short-circuit somewhere. I'm sure rooting for him as in individual and a teammate.

#5 - NPN is exactly correct in saying KB needs to work on finishing at the rim. More than once tonight I thought he could just go straight to the rim, but on the other hand, and it was probably on his mind, he fouled-out in ABQ and often gets flagged for offensive fouls because goes high and into the defender. Maybe a bit too much shake-and-bake, but it's a fine line.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:43 pm

From the Pio's website:

Men's Basketball Nearly Defeats Portland

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Lewis & Clark men's basketball team put together a strong attack against in town Division I member, the University of Portland, but could not pull out the win falling to the Pilots 78-73.

The loss is the Pioneers first of the season, dropping their record to 3-1. The win brought the Pilots to .500 (3-3) on the season.

Senior Ross Erickson led the way for the Pios with a season-high 26 points after hitting 11-of-18 from the field. Erickson also led the Pioneers with a team-high four rebounds along with junior Quentin Sims. Sims drained 50.0 (5-10) of his shots from behind the three-point arc for 15 points.

Ryan Nicholas and Kevin Bailey each ended the night with 12 points for Portland.

After the Pilots start the game on a 9-3 run, with the Pioneer lone basket coming on Sims first three of the night, Lewis & Clark captured its first lead with 12:37 remaining in the half. After a Ben Neves steal, the freshman setup Erickson for a quick break layup, earning the Pios a 15-14 advantage.
The game remained close throughout the rest of the half with the Pioneers largest lead coming at the 9:27 marker on a Connor Freeberg three. An Erickson layup with 1:18 to go until halftime gave the Pioneers the lead back after the two sides tied the score on four occasions.

Derrick Rodgers made a layup for Portland with seconds remaining in the period to tie the game for the fifth time, sending both sides into the locker room deadlocked at 36-36.

Portland surged out of the gates in the second half, picking up a 48-41 advantage, just five minutes in. Despite their best attempts, the Pioneers would never be able to recapture the lead.

Sims pulled Lewis & Clark within a point with 6:45 on the clock with another of his three-pointers, making it a 64-63 game. The Pilots once again pulled ahead by seven with back-to-back free-throw shots with just 17 seconds remaining. Erickson managed to pull the Pioneers within four moments later but it would not be enough.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:I'm a little pissed we didn't actually get to see history's first 5 point play. The L&C guy missed his second free throw.

This.

I am not totally sure on the rulebook here, but that was one ballsy call to allow the shot to count. Credit to the shooter who saw the foul happening (or should I say happen?) and then shucked it up. Baited the ref hook line and sinker.

Otherwise a well-played game on the Pilots' part. Anytime you shoot 50% from the field and 80% from the line while outrebounding the opposition and committing only four turnovers, you'll in all likelihood come out on top. Thielke has been a revelation this year. Really geared up to see his continued development. Nice to see someone bring attitude to the court.

The video is up at http://o2.stretchinternet.com:1935/ondemand/_definst_/mp4:up/up-81094-v.mp4/playlist.m3u8

The play is right after the 1:46:20 mark on the stream.

Doesn't look simultaneous to me, but Rev didn't even talk to the ref in the timeout before the ft's.

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next