Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ New Mexico (Sunday, Nov. 25 @ 5:00)

+2
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pilots @ New Mexico (Sunday, Nov. 25 @ 5:00) - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots @ New Mexico (Sunday, Nov. 25 @ 5:00)

Post by PilotNut Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Pilots Battle Before Falling to Unbeaten Lobos

ALBUQUERQUE, NM --- The Portland Pilots dropped a 69-54 non-conference men’s basketball game to the unbeaten New Mexico Lobos before 13,487 fans Sunday night at The Pit. Alex Kirk led three New Mexico players with 14 points and 11 rebounds, while Portland guards Korey Thieleke and Kevin Bailey scored 11 each to lead the Pilots.

Thieleke filled up the stat sheet for the second straight game. After recording career highs in all statistical categories against Portland State on Wednesday, Thieleke came up big again for the Pilots in his second consecutive start. The Bakersfield, Calif. native finished with career highs of 11 points, six rebounds, four blocked shots and four steals. He also added three assists in 37 minutes of action.

Bailey made 7-of-8 free throws, but was 2-for-10 from the field before fouling out in 21 minutes Portland leading scorer Ryan Nicholas also went 2-for-10 from the floor and fouled out, but finished with eight points and nine rebounds.

In a game that featured lots of fouls, free throws and three-point struggles for both teams, the difference was a 10-0 run by the host Lobos (6-0) to open the second half and create separation.

The Pilots (2-3) held New Mexico to 24 percent shooting in the first half, but Portland also struggled from the field and went into the half trailing 30-27.

The Lobos (6-0) erupted out of halftime and pushed their lead to as much as 19 points. Portland would battle back as Derrick Rodgers hit a three-pointer to pull within 55-44.

Three straight free throws by Cameron Bairstow pushed the Lobos lead to 62-46, but the Pilots answered with five straight points by Ryan Nicholas to pull within 11 once again. New Mexico would hold on late to remain unbeaten.

The Pilots held UNM to 33 percent shooting for the game and 2-for-19 from three-point range, but the Lobos converted 29-of-38 free throws. Portland finished at 32 percent from the floor, 1-for-10 from beyond the arc and 17-of-21 at the foul line.

The Lobos also gained a 44-35 rebounding edge. Portland committed 16 turnovers and forced 14 from UNM.

The Pilots will next return to the Chiles Center to host Lewis & Clark College on Tuesday at 7 p.m. Tickets are still available through all Ticketmaster outlets, online at ticketmaster.com or at the door 60 minutes prior to tip-off.
On The Web: http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2012/11/25/MBB_1125122305.aspx

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ New Mexico (Sunday, Nov. 25 @ 5:00) - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots @ New Mexico (Sunday, Nov. 25 @ 5:00)

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:33 am

From Coach Reveno:
With both teams shooting poorly (playing good defense?) New Mexico beat us on the glass and free throw line. Needed to win battle of boards.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:47 am

Hmm, not sure who this was pointed toward; from Rev this morning:
Want to play more? Play harder. Talk more. Enjoy the fight. Not your nature? Try. Improve. Have fun. Any coach will reward that.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 am

DoubleDipper wrote:One of my friend’s daughters, who attended UP, wore her purple Pilots T-shirt with the traditional wheel logo, and made a point of cheering loudly for her Pilots. You would not believe the number of Lobo fans who had to be told the Pilots did NOT fly airplanes!

For some reason the student section loved to get after Kevin, and hounded him most of the night (until he fouled out), but it was good natured, and Kevin took it in a positive spirit.

The TV isolated on her once coming out of a time out. I didn't notice you. Everyone around her looked to be wearing red.

One of the floor mikes picked up some of the KB harrassment. I wondered why they were fixated on him. I guess they thought he was our best player.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 pm

I happened to have witnessed Derrick Rodgers make a three pointer during competition in the midst of his NCAA D1 career: who knew that his unwillingness to shoot was purely mental. Keep shooting Derrick.

One thing I have not seen much of is the big guys setting picks for either of our points, at least one of whom can shoot threes. Not a particularly complicated offensive play and one from which the Pilot offensive troubles may benefit.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:34 pm

wrv wrote:I happened to have witnessed Derrick Rodgers make a three pointer during competition in the midst of his NCAA D1 career: who knew that his unwillingness to shoot was purely mental. Keep shooting Derrick.
Ha-ha, yea, and a couple of real nice pull up jumpers as well....as you said, who knew?

Derrick hit a half court buzzer beater at the end of the first half last year against LMU, but that was luck...his shots last night looked skillful.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Forgot to mention yesterday... Quite discouraging to see that we still struggle to get the ball inbounds without turning it over or getting a 5-second violation. That's a surefire momentum killer, every time. Our inbound plays just looked anemic all night. Three guys standing still while one lazily curled around a screen. When that one guy wasn't open, everyone continued standing around and the passer was forced to throw a lob to one of the tall guys. I just can't understand why this is still a consistent issue, game after game, year after year.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:09 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Forgot to mention yesterday... Quite discouraging to see that we still struggle to get the ball inbounds without turning it over or getting a 5-second violation. That's a surefire momentum killer, every time. Our inbound plays just looked anemic all night. Three guys standing still while one lazily curled around a screen. When that one guy wasn't open, everyone continued standing around and the passer was forced to throw a lob to one of the tall guys. I just can't understand why this is still a consistent issue, game after game, year after year.
Too lazy to look it up for myself; what is the rule about the inbounding passer's ability to move from side to side on the base line? As I recall, the 5-second violation came on an attempted inbounds play in the Pilots' end of the court.

There are times the in-bounder can move back and forth the entire width of the court, and there are other times the in-bounder is restricted....does anyone know the rule?

On last night's 5-second call, the in-bounder did not move at all.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:20 pm

You can only move on an inbound after a made basket.

But I have noticed that refs aren't calling a defender crowding the inbound player. Last year a defender actually had his feet on the baseline and it wasn't called.

Maybe it's time to start coaching crowding until the refs start calling it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:29 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:You can only move on an inbound after a made basket.

But I have noticed that refs aren't calling a defender crowding the inbound player. Last year a defender actually had his feet on the baseline and it wasn't called.

Maybe it's time to start coaching crowding until the refs start calling it.
Well, that's pretty simple....thanks, Geez.

Last night it was as if our in-bounder was almost trapped in the corner because there were nothing but really tall guys in front of him. I didn't have the luxury of replay at the game....but as I recall, our four guys on the court barely moved....as if no planned play was in place. Embarassed
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:42 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I didn't have the luxury of replay at the game....but as I recall, our four guys on the court barely moved....as if no planned play was in place. Embarassed
That is exactly what it looked like on TV, too. The question is, how is this still happening? A recent tweet from the coach:
Occasionally shocked to realize some really think coaching is just identifying and prioritizing issues. Coaching is that plus FIXING issues.
This issue has long been identified. Let's fix it!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Interesting! After UNM’s win over the Pilots Sunday, the Lobos are now #25 on the AP Poll, and #23 on the USA Today Poll.

Except for 10 minutes at the beginning of the second half, the Pilots played them even….the coaches have to be pleased with the strong 30 minutes of play....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2