Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ah Crud. Final: UCLA 3, Pilots 2 in 2OT

+12
fozziewozzie
UPWomenSoccerRookie
Oscar
ejjqb
FANatic
HRZag
GUPhantom
PilotDrummer
Geezaldinho
KFTC
pms275
PilotNut
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ah Crud.  Final: UCLA 3, Pilots 2 in 2OT - Page 2 Empty Re: Ah Crud. Final: UCLA 3, Pilots 2 in 2OT

Post by FANatic Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:46 pm

Good point, UPSFanatic. I hadn't really thought of it that way. Nice to have a coach's input with real valuable "you gotta be there to really understand it" knowledge of just how taxing any season in any dynamic team sport can be.

Regardless how the season ended, no one can take away from the team the great run they had the second half of the season and into the play-offs. They overcame incredible odds early on and made a tremendous run. Great prime-time experience for four freshman will pay dividends next year for sure.

Everyone else posting - Wow! I'm reading every post and everyone is making really good points. We have a great blend of knowledge and enthusiasm on this forum. It all makes me feel closer to being a real part of the Pilots' extended "family". (No fans, no women's soccer program.) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Ah Crud.  Final: UCLA 3, Pilots 2 in 2OT - Page 2 Empty Re: Ah Crud. Final: UCLA 3, Pilots 2 in 2OT

Post by harryb Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:54 pm

I think that our playmaking, possession-oriented style suffered from the soggy more than we might realize. UCLA's style was more "kick the long ball", and maybe we tried to imitate that in the second half when we couldn't pass as accurately as we're used to.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Great thought, harryb. You may have hit the nail directly on the head. Makes total sense. No question the condition of the field really messed up our game. Although I will add that I think UCLA's speed and quickness helped do us in as well. As it did in the 2006 Quarters also.

Two years in a row. Exact same ending. Perhaps UCLA's revenge for being humiliated by the Pilots on national television in the 2005 championship match.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Well, Three shots in a row on their turf. Next year we get 'em at Merlo, so I expect the tables will turn.

They've got almost everyone coming back, but I think they played all their games but 5 at home during the season, and I'm guessing they are going to have to pay back some next year. they were 2-1-2 on the road this year.

Every year is different. At the start of this year, North Carolina was supposed to have reloaded and still be the dominant force.

Didn't happen.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:26 am

Good points, as always, Geez. You mentioned that next year we get 'em at Merlo. What do you mean? Have you seen the schedule for next year 'cause I sure would love to if it's out there somewhere. Maybe we scheduled a home and home? (Or home and away, whatever you call it). geek
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:50 am

Yeah, they're coming here, according to 2 folks I asked who should know. No date has been set. It would be nice to get them late in the out-of-conference schedule, but I don't know if that will be possible.

If you look at the big games we've scheduled over the last few years, they are always home & home. It's not like Basketball where they have the leverage of a big gate to split (We made a pile of money, apparently, on the 2 for 1 deal with Duke a few years back- filled the Rose garden)-- Who's got a bigger gate than us?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Ah Crud.  Final: UCLA 3, Pilots 2 in 2OT - Page 2 Empty UCLA - Rematch #4 (Since 2005 Title Game)

Post by FANatic Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:37 pm

Thanks Geez. At first I really didn't want to see their mugs for a long time.

But having the match at Merlo should not only pack the house, (and maybe Comcast SportsNet television?),
but also give us the "12th man" advantage and cozy home field that seems to elevate the Pilots to
near unbeatable! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:34 pm

Never shy from great competition.

If you want to be the best--beat the best.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2