USD Notes

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

USD Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: USD Notes

Post by Stonehouse on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:44 am

Wow. Lamont Smith (USD's head coach from 2015-2018 and who resigned near the end of last season after being arrested on domestic violence charges) has been named as being implicated in the college admissions bribery scandal. Oh, and today, he resigned his position as assistant coach at UTEP.

According to ABC10 in San Diego, real estate developer Robert Flaxman paid about $100,000 “to get his son in the side door” at San Diego “with the help of a USD coach.” Smith allegedly helped Flaxman’s son earn admission to the university as a basketball recruit, though he didn’t play basketball.

https://sports.yahoo.com/utep-assistant-lamont-smith-resigns-after-implicated-in-college-admissions-scandal-032345884.html

Here's a response from USD's president: https://www.sandiego.edu/president/documents/emails/2019/admissions-investigation-update.html?fbclid=IwAR2TpXGqD7qPybbndwwXMruOidsNNBLehSE-wdN9I4WNnTWazJmL03uBVEQ

Excerpt below:

USD has been subject to a confidentiality order that restricted our ability to identify the former coach referred to by the government. Earlier today, the government informed us that the order has been modified and that USD will not be viewed as interfering with the investigation if we choose to identify him. Now that we are permitted to do so, Lamont Smith, our former men’s head basketball coach, who left USD in March 2018, is the unnamed coach involved in the government’s investigation.

What I shared with you last week about the scope of the USD-related involvement in this matter has not changed. Based on our review of the information available to us to date and on what the government has told us as recently as this morning, the only USD employees, students or applicants involved in the alleged wrongdoing are the three people identified by the government: Lamont Smith and two applicants. Of the two applicants, one is a current student and one declined admission. We continue to have no reason to believe that any other employees, students or applicants were involved in or aware of any wrongdoing. Certainly, if different or new information comes to our attention, either through the results of the investigation or otherwise, we will take appropriate action to respond.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3224
Registration date : 2007-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

USD Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: USD Notes

Post by up7587 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:13 pm

I wondered why USD was involved. Didn't imagine it was with basketball. I suppose it involved a preferred walk-on status? I can't imagine using up a basketball scholarship, even for that money.
up7587
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 4467
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum