Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steven Evans is the Future?

4 posters

Go down

Steven Evans is the Future? Empty Steven Evans is the Future?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:25 pm

According to the Oregonian he is: http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2012/09/portland_pilots_steven_evans_o.html#incart_river_sports

He has been a terrific player so far this season when I have seen him.

Back to top Go down

Steven Evans is the Future? Empty Re: Steven Evans is the Future?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:26 pm

I just had this thought... Could Evans go to the MLS after this year and not finish at UP?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:10 am

RipCityPilot wrote:I just had this thought... Could Evans go to the MLS after this year and not finish at UP?

You aren't the first to have this thought. I had night sweats about it.

Then I saw an article where he is the first in his family to go to college.

Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I sleep now. I bet he graduates.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:02 am

Yeah... But if he gets a Gen. Adidas slot (Which starts a player at a $250K salary, plus puts money away so they can finish their college education whenever they want.) it might be one of those offers too good to refuse.

It would be great to have him on the bluff another year, but I wouldn't begrudge him for taking up that kind of opportunity. I guess it all comes down to how much he enjoys the bluff and how important it is to him that he finishes college immediately...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 am

DaTruRochin wrote:Yeah... But if he gets a Gen. Adidas slot (Which starts a player at a $250K salary, plus puts money away so they can finish their college education whenever they want.) it might be one of those offers too good to refuse.
IF Steven were offered $250K, he should take it and enjoy his career while he can. He does NOT need a UP degree to play soccer, and when he hangs up his boots it will not be a UP degree that takes him to the next phase of his life.

Ask yourself how many UP graduates would give back their degree to start at $250K annually and play at something they love...I'm guessing more than not!

Depending upon the success of one's career in sports, there is much more money, prestige, and opportunity from the game then from a college degree.....regardless of the university. Many professionals return to college for their degree during or after their professional sports careers to "make their mama happy," that's what Steven should do if given the opportunity to sign a relatively lucrative contract!

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 am

Now I'm back to night sweats.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:53 am

I think the Timbers could offer him a homegrown spot and lock him up before the draft (like they did Brent Richards) as soon as he graduates (or chooses to go pro), but a GA contract would blow all that up.

Eastside is a Timbers-affiliated club and surely he played there long enough to be a homegrown. Maybe. MLS roster rules change according to month, temperature, and relative humidity.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:15 pm

He won the Timbers' PDL Player of the Year award at tonight's club awards banquet. First of what I know will be many honors if the Timbers sign him.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:37 pm

And now he's a Timber.

http://t.co/L8zvvvI7

"I grew up watching the Timbers."
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:52 pm

......and from the UP Athletic Department:
Portland Pilots junior midfielder Steven Evans signed professionally with the Portland Timbers of Major League Soccer as the club’s second Homegrown Player. Evans has one year of eligibility remaining at the University of Portland, but the Portland native will forgo his senior season to join his hometown club.

“Growing up in Portland, my dream was always to first go to UP, and to then play for the Timbers,” said Evans on Tuesday. “This has been my dream and my goal, so I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited than I am right now.”

As a junior last fall, Evans was named to the All-West Coast Conference First Team for the second consecutive season. He finished second in the conference in goals (14) and points (31), while ranking eighth and 16th in those two categories nationally. Evans also had three assists last fall and a team-high three game-winners, and he became the first UP men’s soccer player to register a hat trick in nine years.

The Central Catholic High School graduate was named the league’s freshman of the year in 2010, while also garnering Freshman All-American honors.

“The coaches at Portland really pushed me and taught me a lot to help me become the player I am now,” Evans said. “We always had a great team and we always had good competition at practices, which also helped develop me on the field.”

In 53 career games for the Pilots, Evans totaled 24 goals, 12 assists and six game-winners.

“I also wanted to thank everybody at the University of Portland,” said Evans. “It is sad leaving a year early, but I’m really excited about what’s to come.”

Evans played four seasons with the Timbers’ development team from 2009-12, helping guide the Timbers U-23s to the 2010 Premier Development League championship and three playoff appearances.
A member of the inaugural Timbers U-23s team in 2009, Evans ranks among the team’s all-time leaders in games played (42) and goals (8.

Evans joins forward Brent Richards, a native of Camas, Wash., as the Timbers’ two Homegrown Players. He also becomes the fifth player from the Timbers U-23s to sign with the first team.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 pm

....and a little while back from the Office of Development/Marketing:
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 am

I kind of wish Portland's preseason game today was streamed like the first two because Evans is in the XI and judging from the Timbers' tweet it's at...right back. Don't think I ever saw him there.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 am

And Evans gets the last goal in a 3-0 win for the Timbers.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Evans finds way with Timbers (Reserves):      Steven
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down