Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texas Size

4 posters

Go down

Texas Size Empty Texas Size

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Just in case others may think we get our priorities out of whack here on PN from time-to-time, we just have to look to the high school football palace in Allen, Texas for some perspective. A gleaming $60 million facility with seats for 18,000 roaring fans, a 38-foot wide high-definition video screen, corporate sponsors and a towering upper deck…. and it’s not even the largest high school football stadium in Texas. But, it’s certainly the grandest with its spacious weight room for the players and practice areas for Allen High School's wrestling and golf teams.

I’ve lived in Texas, so this comes as no surprise, but as school districts across the country struggle to retain teachers, replace outdated textbooks and keep class sizes from ballooning, it just seems a little out of whack…..even in Texas.

Texas Size Allen_10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Texas Size Empty Re: Texas Size

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:02 am

What?

No canopy?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:15 am

What?

No fur-lined seats?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:38 am

In 1982, when the West Texas city of Odessa built a 19,000-seat stadium for a then-unheard-of $5.6 million, it drew scorn from some people who questioned the district's priorities. Odessa would be featured a few years later in the book "Friday Night Lights," a national best-seller that inspired a movie and a TV series.

Neighboring Plano High School's stadium seats more than 14,000 people. Mesquite, about 30 miles away from Allen, has a 20,000-seat stadium. And the Berry Center in suburban Houston has a facility with a stadium, an arena and theater…it opened in 2006 and cost about $84 million
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:05 am

Geezaldinho wrote:What?

No canopy?

We should get one of those for Merlo...

While the costs of this stadium are enormous, there are high school football stadiums in the Northwest and other parts of the US that are quite large too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:03 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:What?

No canopy?

We should get one of those for Merlo...

Like this?

Texas Size F6cb49ac34bd6b5c6a16927a7f0868c3
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:52 pm

I cannot see your picture, Geez. So, I am not sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:04 pm

That'll do Geez. That'll do.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:06 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:While the costs of this stadium are enormous, there are high school football stadiums in the Northwest and other parts of the US that are quite large too.
Interesting. I had no idea. Where in the NW are these comparable size and comparable cost high school facilities?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:15 pm

To DD: the costs are not comparable. There are no other stadiums like this Allen, TX one. But, there are large ones like the Stadium Bowl in Tacoma at (go figure) Stadium High School. There is Memorial Stadium in Seattle. And, as I understand it from a friend, there is a large one in Medford for the high school there. If you want unique, look no further then West Salem's black turf (Link).

To Geez: I can see it now, and that would do nicely. Although, my first thought was this:
Texas Size DSG%20Park-thumb-600x450

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:57 pm

It shares with this one that you don't even need a string line or level to put one of these up.

Texas Size Ee49fe988ace239e563b8909d5735b2e
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:29 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:It shares with this one that you don't even need a string line or level to put one of these up.

It's "artistic." In other words, the perfect design to pass in Portland.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:To DD: the costs are not comparable. There are no other stadiums like this Allen, TX one. But, there are large ones like the Stadium Bowl in Tacoma at (go figure) Stadium High School. There is Memorial Stadium in Seattle. And, as I understand it from a friend, there is a large one in Medford for the high school there. If you want unique, look no further then West Salem's black turf (Link).
Those are big stadiums:
Memorial in Seattle - 12,000 football/17,000 soccer
Stadium Bowl in Tacoma - Approx 15,000
Medford, Oregon - 10,000

The interesting thing about the Stadium Bowl (which opened in 1910) is it apparently once held as many as 23,000 to 40,000 before drainage and construction problems took their toll.

Cost wise, the Allen, Texas stadium at $60 million is about as expensive as I could find (so far). For a comparison, the Kingdome which opened in 1976 cost $67 million...that's about $274 million in 2012 dollars.

My little research also found that in Texas there are 16 high schools with field capacities over 16,000 and 61 more have capacities between 10,000 and 16,000. There are more than 4.1 million high school football stadium seats at 1172 high schools Texas .... that's a lot of folks out on a Friday night. pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:37 am

If by drainage and construction problems took their toll you mean there was a mud slide that took out the grass field and 1/3 of the stands down toward the Bay... Then yes! Stadium Bowl also hosted 3 presidents and whole bunch of other speakers/musicians. It is also a site where coaches enjoy torturing their players by making them run up and down the steps before and after practice... Oh and this happened:

DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:16 am

Wonderful. See, soccer girls do have "groupies"......as if we didn't already know that! Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Sadly, I don't think the parody scene from Not Another Teen Movie (awesome flick) was shot there.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down