Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BYU Notes

+7
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
ExpatPilot
Dean Murdoch
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
11 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

BYU Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: BYU Notes

Post by Guest Wed Apr 12 2017, 13:50

I missed this, but Eric Mika has declared for the NBA and is going pro.
http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2017/3/29/15107622/opinion-eric-mika-isnt-returning-to-byu-basketball

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 13 2017, 16:36

A local BYU grad tells me that Eric Mika and his wife, Gabrielle, expect him to get a pretty lucrative contract offer to play in Italy, a place they have previously lived and like so much they might opt to go there instead of the NBA unless it's a very good deal to stay home.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11214
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 18 2017, 12:38

Could be the "grind" finally got to him, but BYU Assistant Head Coach Terry Nashif is leaving the program to "pursue business opportunities.

Nashif joined the staff as director of operations when Dave Rose was hired as head coach in 2005. He was named an assistant coach in 2007 and in 2016 was promoted to assistant head coach.

Nashif played at BYU from 2001-05.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 18 2017, 16:07

DoubleDipper wrote:One of the nicest young men I've met, Jordan Chapman, has decided transfer from BYU.

A native of Vancouver, Washington, Jordan completed his two year mission in Taipei then redshirted a year at BYU before finally seeing some court action last year as a point guard.

The thing is, in those two years, and I'm guessing he got some schooling on his mission, he's earned his degree in Asian Studies at BYU and has been accepted into law school.

It's an unusual situation....with three years of eligibility left, but with his degree in hand, maybe he should just consider transferring to UP and not worry about losing a year of eligibility.....just saying.   Cool

Turns out the BYU law school wouldn't let him play basketball.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 18 2017, 19:49

Geezaldinho wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:One of the nicest young men I've met, Jordan Chatman, has decided transfer from BYU.

A native of Vancouver, Washington, Jordan completed his two year mission in Taipei then redshirted a year at BYU before finally seeing some court action last year as a point guard.

The thing is, in those two years, and I'm guessing he got some schooling on his mission, he's earned his degree in Asian Studies at BYU and has been accepted into law school.

It's an unusual situation....with three years of eligibility left, but with his degree in hand, maybe he should just consider transferring to UP and not worry about losing a year of eligibility.....just saying.   Cool

Turns out the BYU law school wouldn't let him play basketball.
Yeah, I'd heard that.  Turns out he doesn't go to law school at Boston College either, but is getting his MBA while playing in all 32 games and is the third leading scorer on the team with 8.6 per game.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 11 2017, 21:12

Some may remember this once young man from his time in Portland....

http://byucougars.com/m-basketball/rose-announces-hiring-heath-schroyer-assistant-coach

I will say this, BYU needs to shore up its defense, and Schroyer could be the guy to do it.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu May 11 2017, 23:27

Interesting article. I wonder which overranked opponents he beat?
Read
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 16 2017, 13:23

On April 28th it was announced that:

1. Junior SG Davin Guinn is leaving the team to attend BYU Law School.
2. Freshman SG Steven Beo is transferring and will have 3 years eligibility.
3. Redshirt Junior F, and former UNLV player, Jamal Aytes has graduated and will transfer with immediate eligibility.

All averaged just over 2 points per game last season at BYU.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 16 2017, 20:39

An hour ago:
@BYUbasketball wrote:Eric Mika has announced that he will sign with an agent and remain in the 2017 NBA Draft.  
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 10 2017, 22:35

All-WCC point guard Nick Emery left the basketball team and BYU....at least for this coming season.

Apparently a pending NCAA investigation into his possible relationship with a booster and his recent divorce are weighing on his mind and he's not capable of playing anywhere near his potential or close to his previous performances at BYU.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/byu-basketball-announces-nick-emery-will-withdraw-from-school-miss-2017-18-season/ar-BBEPphx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jun 02 2018, 14:21

DoubleDipper wrote:All-WCC point guard Nick Emery left the basketball team and BYU....at least for this coming season.

Apparently a pending NCAA investigation into his possible relationship with a booster and his recent divorce are weighing on his mind and he's not capable of playing anywhere near his potential or close to his previous performances at BYU.
Nick has "every intention of returning to the team for the 2018-19 season," but I've also heard the NCAA hasn't yet cleared him of the possible improper "booster relationship."

If he's back in the form he was during the 2016-17 season, he'll be a very big thorn in the side of BYU's opponents...and really annoying too.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jun 02 2018, 14:38

Energetic C/F Payton Dastrup, one of the most popular of all the Cougars, has decided to leave BYU.

The obvious issue is playing time! BYU has just been so loaded up front, that despite Dastrup's obvious ability, and his 6-10/250 frame, he wasn't getting the court time most observers thought he deserved.

Hard to say where he'll end up, but you have to believe the conditions of his release won't allow him to play for another school in the WCC or in Utah.  Dastrup is originally from Mesa, AZ, Kramer Knutson's hometown...and presumably, MesaPilot's also. tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jul 31 2018, 17:59

DoubleDipper wrote:Nick has "every intention of returning to the team for the 2018-19 season," but I've also heard the NCAA hasn't yet cleared him of the possible improper "booster relationship."

If he's back in the form he was during the 2016-17 season, he'll be a very big thorn in the side of BYU's opponents...and really annoying too.
Don't know what the improper "booster relationship" was, but Emery is back on the team for the 2018-19 season, but the NCAA has ruled he cannot participate in the first nine preseason games (not counting exhibition).

I haven't seen BYU's preseason schedule, but as the only way BYU will get to the NCAA Tournament this coming season is through an at-large berth (I don't see them beating GU on Las Vegas), the Cougars are going to have to win as many preseason games as they can.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jul 31 2018, 20:51

Trib wrote:The probe, according to the Tribune story, relates to the use of a car as well as travel and entertainment — such as concerts and visits to amusement parks in California — that Emery indulged in, and whether they were paid for by BYU booster Brandon Tyndall, who is an executive with Fun For Less Tours. Tyndall is also a member of the Cougar Club, which is BYU’s booster organization.

That used to get you tossed. No idea what it is now if you are P5.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 02 2018, 11:22

Geezaldinho wrote:That used to get you tossed. No idea what it is now if you are P5.
Yeah, I agree, Geez.

I think it was about five years ago the NCAA came up with a matrix of penalties for violators.  The penalties that I remember reading about were for coaches and institutions, but there is apparently a sliding scale of penalties for student-athletes as well, and the penalty just depends upon the violation(s).

Some may recall the NCAA structured violations in to four levels (not sure why the NCAA loves Roman Numerals so much....)
Level I: Severe breach of conduct
Level II: Significant breach of conduct
Level III: Breach of conduct
Level IV: Incidental issues

In Emery's case, I believe his transgressions were deemed Level II -- ("Violations that provide or are intended to provide more than a minimal but less than a substantial or extensive recruiting, competitive or other advantage; includes more than a minimal but less than a substantial or extensive impermissible benefit; or involves conduct that may compromise the integrity of the NCAA collegiate model as set forth in the Constitution and bylaws").

In addition to his nine game suspension Emery must "repay" the booster for the gifts he was provided...which was apparently more than cream cheese on a bagel.  Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 09 2018, 14:32

NCAA sanctions levied against the Cougars basketball, related to Nick Emery. Two year probation, loss of one scholarship, vacating 47 wins (games Emery played in), disassociation of a booster, and a $5,000 fine.
https://247sports.com/college/byu/Article/NCAA-levies-sanctions-on-BYU-basketball-program-surrounding-Nick-Emery-124462878/

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 09 2018, 15:35

up7587 wrote:NCAA sanctions levied against the Cougars basketball, related to Nick Emery.  Two year probation, loss of one scholarship, vacating 47 wins (games Emery played in), disassociation of a booster, and a $5,000 fine.
https://247sports.com/college/byu/Article/NCAA-levies-sanctions-on-BYU-basketball-program-surrounding-Nick-Emery-124462878/
IMO, the vacating of 47 wins seems disproportionate to the "crime."

I'd say, "hey, a win is a win," but I don't think UP will be credited with wins against BYU just because the Cougars' wins were vacated... Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 09 2018, 17:26

They vacate wins.

We don’t vacate losses.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2019, 16:53

byu-guard-jahshire-hardnett-to-seek-graduate-transfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 14 2019, 16:40

Not WCC related, but BYU just beat the University of Southern California in Provo in the pointy football game, in overtime. It was hard to root for either team to win, but it definitely is a hit against the credibility of the Conference of Champions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Sep 03 2021, 09:29

MarkBermanFox26 wrote:According to sources the Big 12 Presidents will take part in a call Monday to discuss expansion and potentially issue invitations to @UHouston, @BYU, @UCF and @uofcincy.

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1433817126616317954?s=20

I think it's really going to happen this time. Honestly I'm surprised BYU has stayed in the WCC for this long.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 03 2021, 10:57

Dean Murdoch wrote:I think it's really going to happen this time. Honestly I'm surprised BYU has stayed in the WCC for this long.
Face it, BYU has always been an outlier in the WCC.

Here's more:

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2021/9/3/22655902/reports-byu-could-receive-big-12-invite-this-month-join-in-2022-ucf-cincinnati-houston
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Sep 03 2021, 13:17

DoubleDipper wrote:
Dean Murdoch wrote:I think it's really going to happen this time. Honestly I'm surprised BYU has stayed in the WCC for this long.
Face it, BYU has always been an outlier in the WCC.

Here's more:

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2021/9/3/22655902/reports-byu-could-receive-big-12-invite-this-month-join-in-2022-ucf-cincinnati-houston

Begs the question... If (when) BYU leaves: who replaces them? The only two names I would respectfully add are Seattle and Denver. Grand Canyon is a definite no from me. Cal Baptist is another option, but one that I would not prefer either.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 03 2021, 13:25

FloridaPilot wrote:Begs the question... If (when) BYU leaves: who replaces them? The only two names I would respectfully add are Seattle and Denver. Grand Canyon is a definite no from me. Cal Baptist is another option, but one that I would not prefer either.
What, not Eastern Washington?? Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Sep 03 2021, 13:38

I forgot to mention that I believe the case for Gonzaga to the Big East gets better every day for them. Regionality seems to be fading away. Perhaps the money is better for them in the Big East even considering the travel? But, could they survive not being champions very single year? Probably.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next