Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cascadia Cup

+2
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cascadia Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Cascadia Cup

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:04 am

So, in five years, when the Timbers are tired of Porter, he'll be a perfect fit to takeover UP's soccer program when he and Bill Irwin trade positions.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:45 am

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2012/08/caleb_porter_named_portland_ti.html

Cheers! How cool is it that Beervana has a coach named Porter?

And which brewpub will be the first?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I think Paulson is as much to blame. The timbers are about the lowest in the league as far as player salaries. If you want to win, you got to pay for talent.

This is incorrect. There are the salaries released by the players union and then there are what the organizations actually pay. Not to mention the mysterious allocation money. The Timbers are middle of the pack when it comes to player compensation. The seven figure sums they paid for their two DPs show that Paulson is willing to spend the dough. The fact that he won't throw it around (a la NYRB) is not only laudable, but financially wise.

Now how they choose to spend it, that is another matter entirely . . .
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
Cheers! How cool is it that Beervana has a coach named Porter?

Very cool!

But what if Caleb doesn't like his namesake style and a brewery decides to name one after him? What do they call it? A Porter IPA? Who would want to try that?
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:05 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:I think Paulson is as much to blame. The timbers are about the lowest in the league as far as player salaries. If you want to win, you got to pay for talent.

This is incorrect. There are the salaries released by the players union and then there are what the organizations actually pay. Not to mention the mysterious allocation money. The Timbers are middle of the pack when it comes to player compensation. The seven figure sums they paid for their two DPs show that Paulson is willing to spend the dough. The fact that he won't throw it around (a la NYRB) is not only laudable, but financially wise.

Now how they choose to spend it, that is another matter entirely . . .

I'm using the SBNation info, which just compiles the Player union salary figures. you can apparently find ways to pay people more through "endorsements" and such, but there is no indication the timbers are doing that.
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/5/30/3050995/mls-player-salary-analysis-2012

The Timbers are $244K UNDER the salary cap, the lowest in the league.

Cascadia Cup - Page 2 Screen41
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:38 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Give a call to Paulson and tell him Juan Román Riquelme is looking for work. He is only 34.
Can he do this? https://www.youtube.com/embed/84YVHuf-LO4

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:09 pm

up7587 wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:Give a call to Paulson and tell him Juan Román Riquelme is looking for work. He is only 34.
Can he do this? https://www.youtube.com/embed/84YVHuf-LO4

Uh,, yeah. But he usually skims it off the post.

I take it you don't know him or you wouldn't have asked. When he and Messi were on the National team, he took the kicks and wore the 10 shirt. When Maradona became manager, Román got left off the team. Some say it was because Maradona was jealous of his skills.
When I bought my Selección shirt I got a Riquelme shirt, not a Messi one.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:16 pm

An update on Román:

Argentina Previews (@ArgenPreviews)
9/5/12 4:29 PM
J. R. Riquelme has signed a suspension of his contract with Boca. He can't play at another Arg. club for now but he can do it somewhere else

Do you have Merrit's cell number?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:12 am

Anybody have a clue what this is about?

Merritt Paulson (@MerrittPaulson)
9/6/12 10:51 AM
Should I be worried that Eric Wynalda is obsessed with me? I have had one stalker ex-girlfriend but Eric is crazier than her. #nutjob
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:01 pm

It could have something to do with this:

Eric Wynalda ‏@Wynalda11
Is it just me or does Caleb Porter resemble Lane Kiffin at USC? Lotta similarities there. Or maybe Merritt Paulson reminds me of Al Davis?

and then after the above comment:

@MerrittPaulson go ahead a file a restraining order- 972 miles should do. love what you're doing up there- just stay up there- good luck

Hahahha but it does seem like sometimes Merritt is playing checkers on a chess board when it comes to player personnel...

(And yes that was just a shameless excuse to post a clip from the wire)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Riquelme held a press conference broadcast on almost every Argentina channel today.

For an hour and a half he answered questions.

More accurately, he answered the same question about 50 times. It seems that Argentina's sports estate is incapable of original thought.

The synopsis was:

'I won't play again for Boca & don't know if I'll play elsewhere. & Maradona's a goon'
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:09 pm

Getting back on message:

Bounced from the US Open Cup by an amateur side and any shot at the playoffs long gone, the Cascadia Cup and local bragging rights are the only thing the Portland Timbers have left to play for. A Seattle win at Jeld-Wen tomorrow could take away both.

Despite Seattle and Vancouver both having much better seasons, the Timbers have done quite well against their fellow Cascadia sides; in addition to a win over the Sounders in June, Portland has a win and a draw against the Whitecaps, and with the Whitecaps sporting the same 0-1-1 record against Seattle the Timbers have a three-point edge in the current standings. A win on Saturday would clinch the trophy for Portland.

The experts suggest a win for the Timbers has to be viewed as a relative long shot. It should not be especially controversial to claim that Seattle is just a significantly more talented and better team than Portland right now. I’ll be back with the Army tomorrow….and expect nothing less than victory!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:44 pm

A point for each side today seemed like the “fair” result, if not the desired one. The game was played with fervor on the pitch and in the stands……it’s a good thing these MLS games DON’T go to overtime….I think everyone was exhausted at the end. And, if Rodney Wallace had not headed in a corner kick in the 78th minute to make it a 1-1 draw against Seattle, the Army and players alike would have gone home totally deflated…but I can tell you for a fact, many in the Army were feeling very little when it was over. drunken

After Donovan Ricketts went out after a thudding collision right in front the goal mouth and Army, and the Sounders immediately scored over the head of replacement Joseph Bendix (through no fault of his, I might add), the flood gates could have opened, but the Timbers hung tough. The last 15 minutes (including about 6 minutes of added time) were about the most frenetic I’ve seen this year.

Good game; fair result.

The Timbers now lead the Cascadia Cup with eight points to Seattle's five and Vancouver's two.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:22 pm

I expect you'll have lots of new songs you can teach us during BB season. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:53 pm

A draw was a fair result. We seem to play up or down to our opponent a lot of the time and that was the case here. Seattle has a very good squad (but they can still EADIAF--google that one if you dare) and it was always going to be difficult to get anything out of this game.

What really impressed me was the way we were able to close out the game with only 10 after Chara went off. I really hope it's not serious. Losing him would be much, much worse than losing Ricketts.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:58 pm

up7587 wrote:I expect you'll have lots of new songs you can teach us during BB season. Laughing
I've now stood with the Army for a total of three games (all this year), but during my first game I was like a student pilot listening to the radio calls of a combat air-to-air engagement of fighter pilots....I didn't understand 80% of what was being said. So, before the next game, I studied!!

For people like me, and many others too, the Timbers Army publishes a Chant Sheet that you can have with you at the game to help you participate to the fullest. I’ve not actually taken one to the game, but if you were to do so, I recommend you laminate it against the rain/beer elements.

What's really cool about the Chant Sheet....when learning the chants online, you can click on the "watch" button for a few of thme and sing/chant along to the YouTube video of the Timbers Army in combat conditions.

Here it is for you to study and watch...but I don't think any of these songs or chants will work well at a Pilots basketball game.

Game-day Chants
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:31 am

I don't know about that. Perhaps "You Are My Sunshine" and "We're Going To Win The League" would work fine in Chiles. And "Portland, We Love You So" only needs one word change.

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:27 pm

DoubleDipper wrote: It should not be especially controversial to claim that Seattle is just a significantly more talented and better team than Portland right now.

FYP.

Entertaining game all around, though I could've used more shade. A deserved result for both sides.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:30 pm

up7587 wrote:I don't know about that. Perhaps "You Are My Sunshine" and "We're Going To Win The League" would work fine in Chiles. And "Portland, We Love You So" only needs one word change.

"Sunshine" probably wouldn't. There is special meaning of that song for the Timbers Army based on history. I would suggest something else to appropriate.

Your suggestion for "Portland, We Love You So" might work well, though I've never thought the game of basketball conducive to soccer-style chants.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:53 pm

I vote for some creativity, and not copying another team's chants...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:29 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:
up7587 wrote:I don't know about that. Perhaps "You Are My Sunshine" and "We're Going To Win The League" would work fine in Chiles. And "Portland, We Love You So" only needs one word change.

"Sunshine" probably wouldn't. There is special meaning of that song for the Timbers Army based on history. I would suggest something else to appropriate.

I couldn't sing Sunshine at anything other than a Timbers game. It wouldn't be right to me.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:07 pm

The Timbers beat Vancouver 1-0 IN VANCOUVER (what? an away win?) and have won the Cascadia Cup! Serious question: as a Timbers fan, would this make up for the otherwise disappointing season?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:09 pm

TIMBERS WIN CASCADIA CUP!!

They beat Vancouver 1-0 at BC Place on a 25 yard blat from Captain Jack in the first half.

Amazingly, they learned to close out the game.

Congrats!

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Full time at BC Place: Timbers 1 - 0 Whitecaps.... with the road win, the Timbers capture the 2012 Cascadia Cup!

Well done, Timbers!!!

Cascadia Cup - Page 2 Cascad11

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:13 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:The Timbers beat Vancouver 1-0 IN VANCOUVER (what? an away win?) and have won the Cascadia Cup! Serious question: as a Timbers fan, would this make up for the otherwise disappointing season?

Winning the Cascadia Cup is an incredible accomplishment and I'm over the moon right now. However, we cannot let it hide the fact this season has been horrible and major changes are needed in the front office and in the squad.

Great strike from Jack and we needed our defense to be solid tonight because the way our offense was, one was all we were going to score.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next