Animal House

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Animal House

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:00 pm

UP students make headlines in the Oregonian:
For fun, they hung an “Open 24 Hours” flag from the pole in the front yard. It was a joke, they said, as they spend most of those “open” hours doing homework at the kitchen table. But neighbors didn’t see it that way, and the students found themselves in the center of a neighborhood maelstrom that’s been swirling for years.

Neighbors call the 1940s five-bedroom Animal House. For years, as it and other nearby party houses threw nightly ragers, neighbors became increasingly irritated. Some installed cameras or started patrols. One neighbor pulled a handgun after a student urinated on his lawn.
The story will run in tomorrow’s Oregonian, but is online now at:

Animal House

UP history lesson: Years ago, when fraternities such as mine, Upsilon Omega Pi, were still on campus at UP, each fraternity had a house that could be called their Animal House, but the houses were NOT so close to UP that the occupants were identified as UP students. Our Animal House was in the Linton neighborhood across the St. Johns Bridge.

I'm glad to hear the partying is still going on........from what we hear as the excuses for not attending UP basketball, I thought everyone was hunkered down 24/7 attempting to stay afloat in the "rigorous" waters of UP academics. Party Pilots! (Be safe!)

UP history lesson II: Some of you old-timers may remember the Upsilon Hearse (a 1936 La Salle)....it was painted purple with the hand-carved woodwork painted white during its UP days. The best parts: 1) The hearse had running boards, so we could "cruise" downtown Portland while hanging on the outside of the hearse, and 2) We could park it sideways at the drive-in movies and open the rear side doors so at least 3 or 4 of us and our dates could drink beer while staying warm in sleeping bags and noting from time-to-time there was a movie on the screen. Razz


DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6264
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by Woodless! on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:52 pm

A party house in Linnton? Damn, DD, I was born too late.

Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Age : 37
Registration date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by blacksheep on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Woodless! wrote:A party house in Linnton? Damn, DD, I was born too late.

Sorry Wood, no hipsters allowed in Linnton!

blacksheep
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 928
Location : Under the St. Johns Bridge
Registration date : 2009-03-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by Woodless! on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm moving my hipster enclave across the river. I told you this before and it has already been decided. We're taking over the Decoy and mooring our ironic boats at Fred's.

Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Age : 37
Registration date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:58 pm

blacksheep wrote:
Woodless! wrote:A party house in Linnton? Damn, DD, I was born too late.

Sorry Wood, no hipsters allowed in Linnton!
UP History Lesson III:Ten years after my time in the Linnton house, a very new punk rock band called Hari Kari and the Wipers (I believe) used to "practice" regularly there for free beer and food and .......

This picture from the late '70's shows Hari on one of those nights. The picture was pulled from the Upsilon archives/scrapbook at some point and posted on the internet saying it was taken at the Linnton Community Center, but my younger fraternity brothers say otherwise.


Much of the year the house had a bit of damp smell, with lots of empty bottles and lounging ladies in the living area, but during the summer it was a wonderful place to just "chill" waiting for the school/party year to begin again.


DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6264
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by up7587 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Found this:
We decided that night that we would start a band. We named our band Hari Kari, and soon we hooked up with a neighborhood kid named Spencer Heine, Spencer actually knew how to play guitar! If it wasn’t for him, I think we would still be trying to play a song. The one memorable thing Hari Kari did was in 1979 we hosted the famed “Linton Riot” show at the Linton Community Center outside of Portland. It was ran by the wife of Jack Scott, a friend of NBA star Bill Walton, she was rumored to have been involved with the SLA. The gig featured the Wipers, Neo Boys, Fix, Ziplocs, Hari Kari and a dirt-bag Thin Lizzy cover band from Linton. The cover bands “fans” drank too much and hated all of our bands. A riot soon erupted. The hall was totally thrashed. The next day we collected all the empty bottles laying around and returned them to cover the cost of all the broken windows.
http://www.sado-nation.com/bios/chuck/wayback.htm

up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3519
Age : 62
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:00 pm

up7587 wrote:Found this:
We decided that night that we would start a band. We named our band Hari Kari, and soon we hooked up with a neighborhood kid named Spencer Heine, Spencer actually knew how to play guitar! If it wasn’t for him, I think we would still be trying to play a song. The one memorable thing Hari Kari did was in 1979 we hosted the famed “Linton Riot” show at the Linton Community Center outside of Portland. It was ran by the wife of Jack Scott, a friend of NBA star Bill Walton, she was rumored to have been involved with the SLA. The gig featured the Wipers, Neo Boys, Fix, Ziplocs, Hari Kari and a dirt-bag Thin Lizzy cover band from Linton. The cover bands “fans” drank too much and hated all of our bands. A riot soon erupted. The hall was totally thrashed. The next day we collected all the empty bottles laying around and returned them to cover the cost of all the broken windows.
http://www.sado-nation.com/bios/chuck/wayback.htm
Yup, right there in little Linnton...who knew! Good find 7587

Rumor has it the hearse and the house were both gone by 1979 or 1980....but I'm afraid the stories just get stranger and stranger leading up to that point.

7587, you were at UP in the '70's maybe you should start a UP History section right here on PN; the '70's at UP make the '60's seem tame by comparison. Razz

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6264
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by Geezaldinho on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:35 am

DoubleDipper wrote:

7587, you were at UP in the '70's maybe you should start a UP History section right here on PN; the '70's at UP make the '60's seem tame by comparison. Razz

Really?

I can't Even remember whole semesters of the 60's.... scratch

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by blacksheep on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:58 am

Woodless! wrote:I'm moving my hipster enclave across the river. I told you this before and it has already been decided. We're taking over the Decoy and mooring our ironic boats at Fred's.

Wood, where were you last Friday afternoon? Hipster Bank Robber

blacksheep
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 928
Location : Under the St. Johns Bridge
Registration date : 2009-03-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by DoubleDipper on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:52 pm

blacksheep wrote:
Woodless! wrote:I'm moving my hipster enclave across the river. I told you this before and it has already been decided. We're taking over the Decoy and mooring our ironic boats at Fred's.

Wood, where were you last Friday afternoon? Hipster Bank Robber
Ha hah. Good for you Woodless; we are now expecting a lot more food and drink at the Alumni Relations House this afternoon! Razz

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6264
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by Woodless! on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:32 pm

I think I made just enough to buy this ironic boat. See you at Fred's!


Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Age : 37
Registration date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by blacksheep on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Woodless! wrote:I think I made just enough to buy this ironic boat. See you at Fred's!


Does it have a trolling motor? I think we can catch some springers in that! (though I'm beginning to think that there are no fish in the Willamette Embarassed )

Is that boat already in Oregon? I'm not sure that trailer would hold up on a drive from IL.

blacksheep
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 928
Location : Under the St. Johns Bridge
Registration date : 2009-03-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by Woodless! on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:49 pm

It is already in Oregon. $775 bones. No trolling motor.

However, if I bought this the future Mrs. Woodless! would beat my a$$ and then probably come looking for the guy that got me into fishing out here (you).

So, we are really going to need to work on my pai-gow/craps skills for next March and then I will buy my ironic boat to troll the Willamette.

Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Age : 37
Registration date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by blacksheep on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Woodless! wrote:

However, if I bought this the future Mrs. Woodless! would beat my a$$ and then probably come looking for the guy that got me into fishing out here (you).

Just buy it. Once she has a chance to cruise the Willamette in that thing, she will realize how cool it is and will love you forever! However, if that doesn't work, don't mention my name!

blacksheep
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 928
Location : Under the St. Johns Bridge
Registration date : 2009-03-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:21 pm

blacksheep wrote:Just buy it. Once she has a chance to cruise the Willamette in that thing, she will realize how cool it is and will love you forever! However, if that doesn't work, don't mention my name!
Umm, if I were you, I'd be a wee bit careful taking love advice from the lone blacksheep. jocolor

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6264
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal House

Post by up7587 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Woodless! wrote:It is already in Oregon. $775 bones. No trolling motor.

However, if I bought this the future Mrs. Woodless! would beat my a$$ and then probably come looking for the guy that got me into fishing out here (you).

So, we are really going to need to work on my pai-gow/craps skills for next March and then I will buy my ironic boat to troll the Willamette.
Best to establish the ground rules right now. You won't interfere with her sewing machines, and she won't interfere with your boats. pirat

up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3519
Age : 62
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum