2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by up7587 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Taggart is gone to FSU. Reportedly, Jim Leavitt, the Def. Coord., is also going with him, which is probably the bigger loss.

Since Rich Brooks was hired in 1977, the Ducks first real coach search was last year, hiring Taggart. Now it happens again.

If Jimbo Fisher didn't wear out his welcome and leave FSU, this never would have happened. That's one of the top 5 jobs in CFB, and has rarely come open.
avatar
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3825
Age : 63
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 am

Game Day: Cal State Fullerton @ 7pm in the Chiles Center and on NBCS-NW and WCC.com.

The game is currently a “pick’em” (no winner or underdog) for most of the prognosticators, and KenPom doesn't know who to pick either, but his computers won't let him predict a tie, so he's given #310 UP (0-5 against D1) the home court advantage and picked them to win, 68-67.

#255 CSF (2-3 against D1 competition) is coming off three straight wins, and are apparently feeling quite confident about their chances in Portland...."we're coming off a lot of momentum and we'll just build on that in Portland" said one player.

They've run a  guard oriented offense to this point in the season, but are really not good at shooting the 3-ball (next to last in last at 23.9%). #0 junior Kyle Allman is the man to watch, as he's an excellent mid-range shooter and penetrator.  The other starting guard, #14 junior Khalil Ahmad, hasn't put up a double-figures the last couple of times out, but Allman predicts Ahmad, "will put up 25 against Portland."

As some of you may have noticed, the Terry Porter show was the Ben Johnson show last night because TP is out sick and it will be a game-time decision if he'll be on the bench tonight....if not, Coach Bob Cantu will be an excellent substitute.

If the Pilots can prevent CSF from getting second chances and can convert free-throws, they can win, but if CSF can control the boards as they have done during their wins, and UP squanders their chances at the line...it could be another D1 defeat, but this time against a team that's not the caliber of competition UP has faced so far this season.
avatar
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6887
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by dholcombe on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks for the pre-game writeup. Now to get some pasta....

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 500
Location : Aloha
Registration date : 2009-11-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by Geezaldinho on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Note to team. Lose the lob pass.
avatar
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10528
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by Sound Voltex on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:13 pm

1-16 3FG in the second half.

The three can't save you every game.

Also missed opportunities to capitalize will haunt.
avatar
Sound Voltex
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2017-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by dholcombe on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:22 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Note to team. Lose the lob pass.

They got that note from someone already I think. They lost a few Very Happy Please send a less ambiguous note prior to next game.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 500
Location : Aloha
Registration date : 2009-11-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by up7587 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Coach Cantu has to be the most honest interview on a postgame show. He said he prepared the plan for attacking the 1-3-1 defense, which they expected. The team did a poor job, and he took blame. Said the players let the struggles in the first half affect their shooting in the second. And they couldn't stop the two CSUF guards, who scored 60% of their points.

My dad always railed about Pilot "lollipop" passes years ago. Guess the guys need to relearn about them.
avatar
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3825
Age : 63
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by bobtcat2 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 pm

[quote="DoubleDipper"]Game Day: Cal State Fullerton @ 7pm in the Chiles Center and on NBCS-NW and WCC.com.

Does kenpom work the as sagarin, where you just take the spread between the two teams and add 2 or 3 points for home court advantage?  Sagarin has the Pilots listed at #288, but also at 0-6 so apparently he doesn't make any allowance for the non D1 games.  So he has the Pilots favored by 2 at home against San Jose State, and then an underdog in all the rest of the games besides a 1 point favorite at home against Pepperdine.

bobtcat2
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2017-01-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm

bobtcat2 wrote:Does kenpom work the as sagarin, where you just take the spread between the two teams and add 2 or 3 points for home court advantage?  Sagarin has the Pilots listed at #288, but also at 0-6 so apparently he doesn't make any allowance for the non D1 games.  So he has the Pilots favored by 2 at home against San Jose State, and then an underdog in all the rest of the games besides a 1 point favorite at home against Pepperdine.
KenPom (Ken Pomeroy) doesn't work on any spread per se, but from the statistical magic of his computers....the Las Vegas spread and over/under is often very close to KenPom's predictions, but are "independent."

Yes, usually 2 to 3 points are added to a predicted final based upon the home court advantage, but it varies depending upon who's home court is being played on.  Interestingly, UP's and GU's advantage is the same, 2.9 pts, SMC is 2.6, SCU 2.8, and not surprisingly, BYU's is 3.6....but it's not necessarily based upon the noise of the fans or the strangeness of the gym, but on how many fouls the visiting team racks up compared to the home team.  Although this disparity is becoming less and less in recent years, it is still a factor.

The team that currently owns the top ranking in home-court advantage is Air Force, at 4.5 points. An unlikely choice to be sure, and it’s worth noting that one can never know which team has the best home-court advantage. It is probably not Air Force, a team that plays in a dingy 5,800 seat arena that requires clearing a security checkpoint to get to.

KenPom will freely admit that even with all the stats and algorithms he uses, there is just no precise way of predicting home court advantage, and that it's probably more of a party conversation stat than anything.

Finally, KenPom lists the non-D1 games, but they are not part of his statistical data.
avatar
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6887
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by bobtcat2 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:22 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
bobtcat2 wrote:Does kenpom work the as sagarin, where you just take the spread between the two teams and add 2 or 3 points for home court advantage?  Sagarin has the Pilots listed at #288, but also at 0-6 so apparently he doesn't make any allowance for the non D1 games.  So he has the Pilots favored by 2 at home against San Jose State, and then an underdog in all the rest of the games besides a 1 point favorite at home against Pepperdine.
KenPom (Ken Pomeroy) doesn't work on any spread per se, but from the statistical magic of his computers....the Las Vegas spread and over/under is often very close to KenPom's predictions, but are "independent."

Yes, usually 2 to 3 points are added to a predicted final based upon the home court advantage, but it varies depending upon who's home court is being played on.  Interestingly, UP's and GU's advantage is the same, 2.9 pts, SMC is 2.6, SCU 2.8, and not surprisingly, BYU's is 3.6....but it's not necessarily based upon the noise of the fans or the strangeness of the gym, but on how many fouls the visiting team racks up compared to the home team.  Although this disparity is becoming less and less in recent years, it is still a factor.

The team that currently owns the top ranking in home-court advantage is Air Force, at 4.5 points. An unlikely choice to be sure, and it’s worth noting that one can never know which team has the best home-court advantage. It is probably not Air Force, a team that plays in a dingy 5,800 seat arena that requires clearing a security checkpoint to get to.

KenPom will freely admit that even with all the stats and algorithms he uses, there is just no precise way of predicting home court advantage, and that it's probably more of a party conversation stat than anything.  

Finally, KenPom lists the non-D1 games, but they are not part of his statistical data.

Thanks! Quite a discrepancy between the Pilots' Sagarin and Kenpom ratings. Will be interesting to see if that narrows.

bobtcat2
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2017-01-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by wrv on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:03 am

up7587 wrote:Taggart is gone to FSU.  Reportedly, Jim Leavitt, the Def. Coord., is also going with him, which is probably the bigger loss.  

Since Rich Brooks was hired in 1977, the Ducks first real coach search was last year, hiring Taggart.  Now it happens again.

If Jimbo Fisher didn't wear out his welcome and leave FSU, this never would have happened.  That's one of the top 5 jobs in CFB, and has rarely come open.

One thing for sure about turnover of the head coach at Oregon, the Ducks have moved to hire his replacement much much faster than we have replaced our women's soccer coach. Obviously there were incentives for the Ducks to hire some one quickly and there are not as many reasons to complete hiring so quickly for the women's soccer coach, but it is worth noting that when motivated, the process can be completed in less than a month and some.

wrv
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2007-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by PilotDrummer on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:32 am

wrv wrote:One thing for sure about turnover of the head coach at Oregon, the Ducks have moved to hire his replacement much much faster than we have replaced our women's soccer coach. Obviously there were incentives for the Ducks to hire some one quickly and there are not as many reasons to complete hiring so quickly for the women's soccer coach, but it is worth noting that when motivated, the process can be completed in less than a month and some.

I actually asked Scott about this on Wednesday--sounds like he's narrowed it down to the final 3 and looking to make a decision "soon."
avatar
PilotDrummer
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 494
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by wrv on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 am

PilotDrummer wrote:
wrv wrote:One thing for sure about turnover of the head coach at Oregon, the Ducks have moved to hire his replacement much much faster than we have replaced our women's soccer coach. Obviously there were incentives for the Ducks to hire some one quickly and there are not as many reasons to complete hiring so quickly for the women's soccer coach, but it is worth noting that when motivated, the process can be completed in less than a month and some.

I actually asked Scott about this on Wednesday--sounds like he's narrowed it down to the final 3 and looking to make a decision "soon."

Thanks for the update.

wrv
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2007-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by DoubleDipper Yesterday at 1:03 pm

Game Day!  San Jose St @ 7 in the Chiles Center....no TV.

The Spartans have won one more D1 game than the Pilots, it was at home vs. Idaho St, but they almost upset Denver on the road 4 days ago, losing 58-56.

San José State staged a 20-point comeback at Denver and tied the game twice within the last five minutes. However it was the last 34 seconds which sank SJSU in the 58-56 loss. The Spartans took three shots during that span that would have tied the game and another which would have put them in the lead, but none of those shots found the bottom of the net. Meanwhile, Denver didn't make a single basket in the final 4:01 but made just enough free throws to put the Spartans away.

Saw something similar today when Michigan defeated UCLA in overtime....except that it was the Wolverines that were down 16 and UCLA's lack of experience let the game get away late.

So far, we've seen the Pilots let sizeable leads against PSU and CSF get away and turn into losses. There's a good chance they'll be in the lead against San Jose St. tonight, but the next sign of maturity as a team will be when they hold the lead.  

UP beat the Spartans in San Jose last season, but that was last season....missed free throws and turnovers can be a killer!
avatar
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6887
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by Sound Voltex Yesterday at 9:14 pm

Hooray, our first win over a D1 team! (we don't suck as much)

Really great breakout game by Diabate after slumps during PK80. (Also some good humor w/ him failing in the background trying to change out into uniform for his first minutes and kicking his loose shoe to the sideline after that one play)

First time (for me) hearing Jackson was out the past few games due to a foot injury.

Was hoping the halfcourt buzzer beater and the overall similarities to the CSF game weren't going to bite them again in the second half, but luckily they stayed tough.

Crowd audio levels was cutting in and out every now and then during the stream, which was...off but luckily the commentators' audio wasn't.
avatar
Sound Voltex
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2017-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by wrv Yesterday at 10:15 pm

Things to like about Pilots win:

Diabate's performance, though he did not play in the second half that I recall. Think he plays better with both shoes on.

R Jackson's steady performance without significant tendency to turn the ball over. Shot free throws well.

Jojo Walker played a steady point without a great number of turnovers and hit some threes. Can shoot free throws too.

Franklin Porter shot well from the three point arc . . .though still needs to work on turnovers.

Hartwich continues to be a defensive force; liked that Terry switched him out on offense during late stages to improve ball handling and to avoid hack.

Defensive effort, whole team.

Nice three quarter court shot before half time.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2007-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Non Conference Schedule

Post by up7587 Yesterday at 10:43 pm

Happy for the guys. Sure would like to see them finish better at the rim. And I'm not sure about the clock management at the end. Jack Avina used to try to stall out games ala Dean Smith and UNC back in the day, and it never worked. You don't get a good shot, and the other team fast breaks for easy baskets. But SJS couldn't convert some of their chances, and the Pilots win. cheers
avatar
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3825
Age : 63
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum