Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Nice Move

4 posters

Go down

A Nice Move Empty A Nice Move

Post by wrv Mon Nov 26 2007, 11:55

Perhaps this should go under the Tennessee game thread, but that has gotten so long I post the comment here.

I am sure many of you remember the move put on Stephanie Lopez by Marta, the Brazilian star, during the World Cup. If you recall, Marta, while near the top of the box, right hand side, with her back to Lopez, juggled the ball, popping it up over her shoulder and that of Lopez, who was immediately behind her. She then went around Lopez and either scorched a goal in or passed to set up a goal. To do that to Stephanie is no small accomplishment . . .but still a very memorable moment.

During the Tennessee game Woznuk essentially did the same move on a LadyVol defender--it took place in the second half--a little bit on the offensive side. Woznuk popped the ball up with her back turned to the defender, went around the defender and continued her progress toward the Tennessee goal, defender then in tow behind her. Not to suggest that Woznuk is another Marta, but that move displayed the level of on the ball skill Angie has in her arsenal, even if it did not turn into a goal. She probably saw Marta pull off the play on Stephanie.

The compliments to Woznuk are well deserved . . .uh nice move . . .entertaining . . .Go Pilots!

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

A Nice Move Empty Re: A Nice Move

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Nov 26 2007, 12:00

Glad you reminded me of that play -- it was great!

Wozzie has played against Marta, in one of the U-world championship events. In fact, Wozzie's team beat Marta's, with Wozzie scoring a goal off a shot of about 40 yards. Marta has Wozzie's shirt and Wozzie has Marta's as a result of that game.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Mon Nov 26 2007, 12:34

WRV,

The play you are referring to of Marta's actually came against Tina Ellertson after Stef had been removed in the 2nd half. However earlier in the game Marta did beat Stef laterally across the field on a nice move.

I cant wait to see Wozzie feeding the ball to Wambach.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Nov 26 2007, 13:07

Nice memory wrv, I remember being a bit stunned that Wozzie pulled that move off. Very cool indeed.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Nov 26 2007, 14:00

If I got it wrong as to who Marta did the now famous "move" on, my apologies. I had thought it was Stephanie . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Nov 26 2007, 14:27

As luck would have it, the YouTube clip KFTC posted has the move wrv is talking about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvlMuxiJg2s

Go forward to the 4:35 mark (move is at 4:40) of the video and enjoy!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down