Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period?

+15
blacksheep
Stonehouse
mattywizz
DaTruRochin
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
shallwemaui10
wccfan
oh brody
DoubleDipper
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
upsailor
DTLegend
wrv
19 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 3 Empty Re: Did someone say today is first day spring signing period?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:34 pm

oldtimer wrote:
Quick poll, if you could pick a position to fill with the last scholarship, which one would it be?

Point Guard.

Back to top Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 3 Empty Re: Did someone say today is first day spring signing period?

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:41 pm

wrv wrote:There remains the possibility that someone who has nominal authority to decide when the receipt of a men's basketball LOI will be published on the site has delayed publication of receipt of one anticipating receipt of a second shortly. If so, the news is not necessarily bad. I think we can still be highly optimistic that Pressley has signed, at this point, however . . .or so we hope.

Otherwise, its back to the salt mines for Reveno.

Good point. Portland never has been very quick to officially announce recruit signings.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:06 am

From Rev this morning:
Very excited to welcome 6'4" guard Bryce Pressley from Jesuit HS in Sacramento to the Portland Pilots program.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:26 am

Well dang that is confirmation of some good news. Good shooter, athletic, plays hard. Unlikely that Pressley has the ball handling skills to spell Carr and Rogers. A big guard/small forward type, obviously. Let's hope he competes for minutes right away.

It is not so far fetched to assume Carr may be piloting the "Pirate" ship next fall.

Hoping the excursion to Spain amounts to more than an endurance test.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Joe Davidson ‏ @sb_joedavidson
@CoachReveno Coach...you will be delighted by his game,personality,desire to improve - and amazing upside.

One SacBee sports writer who no doubt observed our intrepid recruit on several occasions thinks highly of Pressley, as he informed Reveno via twitter.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:44 pm

I wonder where one can get a purple pirate flag for the student section or if they'll have to custom make one... Even pirates need a pilot I assume. Maybe our overseas friends are on to something.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:53 pm

I found the official new drink. The purple pirate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZWyE4T2iIk

I also found some shirts...out of stock: http://www.amazon.com/Wes-Willy-Pirate-Flag-Purple/dp/B004IJN2W2

East Carolina seems to have a purple fire truck complete with Pirate flag we can "borrow". We'll just need volunteers to drive it across the country for games. http://lights-and-sirens.tumblr.com/post/4827418020/emstraumajunkie-this-is-how-we-do-it-at-east

I did find a flag after a while: http://www.piratewear.com/GetCatalogItem.aspx?SKU=1-10001080&MOD=GM&CID=BEST.SELL

Perhaps some of our older members would prefer the tie dye version: http://www.etsy.com/listing/51581757/purple-tie-dye-zombie-skull-flag-or-wall

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 3 Empty Officially...

Post by PilotNut Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Men’s Hoops Signs Guard Bryce Pressley to NLI

PORTLAND, Ore. --- University of Portland men’s basketball has signed guard Bryce Pressley (Sacramento, Calif./Jesuit HS) to a National Letter of Intent, Pilots head coach Eric Reveno announced on Monday. Pressley helped lead Jesuit to the 2012 CIF NorCal Division I finals as a senior.

Pressley (6-4, 190) averaged 14.1 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 2.4 blocked shots and 2.0 steals per game during his senior season. He shot an efficient 51 percent from the field and 81 percent at the free throw line in leading the Marauders to a 27-7 overall record.

Pressley was named to the All-Delta River League first team, earned Sacramento Bee All-Metro first team honors, and was an All-NorCal second team selection. He earned Jesuit’s Defensive Player of the Year honors the last two years. Pressley played the previous two summers with the NorCal Pharoahs on the AAU circuit.

"We are excited to add Bryce to the Pilot family,” Reveno said. “Bryce brings a unique and complete skill set to our program, both offensively and defensively. He plays with tremendous poise and has the ability to impact a game in a number of ways. Bryce is versatile, can score form different positions, is a great competitor and strives to make his teammates better.”

Pressley is another Reveno recruit that comes from a strong basketball lineage. Bryce’s father, Harold, played four years in the NBA with the Sacramento Kings after a successful collegiate career at Villanova, which included being a key member of the 1985 NCAA Championship team.

“Growing up around the game and playing for head coach Greg Harcos at Jesuit, he knows what it means to be a leader of a championship program,” Reveno added. “Bryce is a perfect fit for our University and basketball program."

Pressley is the second member of the class of 2012 to sign with the Pilots. Portland signed the two-time Oregonian ‘5A’ State Player of the Year, Jake Ehlers, to an NLI in November. Ehlers (6-7, 200) led Corvallis High School to its second straight state championship earlier this year.

TRANSACTIONS: University of Portland men’s basketball signs guard Bryce Pressley to a National Letter of Intent.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Again, welcome Bryce.

Hoping there is a point out there that makes this wait worthwhile.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 pm

Ernijs ANSONS 6'0, Combo Guard, Post-Grad (Unlikely to be targeted, struggled in limited minutes at U20-Euro Championship).
Tristan EISENHART 5'11, Post-Grad. (Swiss national team).
Nathaniel SMITH 6'1, Full Term High School, 17yo. (Participated in the 2009 U16-Euro Championship for Ireland, averaged 6.4pts/2.1reb/1ast).
Alfred SLADE 5'11, Full Term High School, 18yo. (Playing with U18 London United, Slade finished with 6pts/1st/1to in 25 minutes against the Brixton Topcats on November 5th).
Christian TAYLOR 5'7 Full Term High School, 16yo.
Daniel IBAÑEZ 6'2, Post-Grad.
Carlos MARRERO 6'1, Full Term High School, 17yo.

At least a partial list of the point guards who played for Canarias Basketball Academy last year, as reported on a webiste for Seton Hall recruiting. Seton Hall (coincidentally their team nickname is the Pirates) has 3 players from Canarias, so they indeed have a recruiting pipeline. One of the players Seton Hall recruited in 2012 from Canarias is Thomas Maayan, a guard, who signed in the fall. Another Canarias guard, Shane Hammink, signed with LSU this spring. Don't know if among the players on the list is a player to whom Reveno has extended an offer and made at least two trips to Spain to recruit . . . I am hoping we learn soon.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:26 am

Good research, wrv, but what if Rev has decided we've got the wings/guards we need, "so let's go even bigger!"

Just saying.............
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:25 pm

It appears to me the Pilot's greatest need is at the point. Without a ball handling passing point we will be pressed continually. Perhaps if Reveno does not offer a point, he doesn't think there is one considering us better than what we have or that a particular big will help more.

A forward from Canarias just signed with Corpus Christie--which I did not even realize was D1 . . .but, in hopefully unrelated news, given the lack of an announcement by the Pilots following Reveno's trips it may indicate that we missed on whomever he was offering in any event . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:55 pm

I dont think it is necessarily bad news that the U hasn't announced anything yet. Sometimes these things take time to sort out... teams have to consider all options, and recruits have to sort out their options. But the longer it drags on, the more unnerving it is...

If we keep Carr at PG, an offseason with that plan would really help prepare the team.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:01 pm

wrv:
That list of PT Gds. wasn''nt too imptressive to say the least.
I feel that we do need one, JR. Col. or whatever and of course the pickings are getting slimmer but Rev hascome thru so far ?

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:21 am

So tell me if you think this a positve indication by Reveno, per his twitter of today, that he has not missed on a recruit:

Eric Reveno ‏ @CoachReveno
Nothing better than receiving a commitment call from player thats skilled, tough, passionate about being best he can be. Just got that call!

So who and at what position? Or is he merely speaking in the abstract about a commitment to something but perhaps not the Pilots?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:48 am

wrv wrote:So tell me if you think this a positve indication by Reveno, per his twitter of today, that he has not missed on a recruit:

Nothing better than receiving a commitment call from player thats skilled, tough, passionate about being best he can be. Just got that call!

So who and at what position? Or is he merely speaking in the abstract about a commitment to something but perhaps not the Pilots?
Oh yea, it's positive. We'll all know more soon!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:05 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Good research, wrv, but what if Rev has decided we've got the wings/guards we need, "so let's go even bigger!"

DoubleDipper wrote:
wrv wrote:So tell me if you think this a positve indication by Reveno, per his twitter of today, that he has not missed on a recruit:

Oh yea, it's positive. We'll all know more soon!

Reading between the lines, we may have another big man coming aboard.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Skilled, tough, passionate... I'll take it!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:57 pm

I don't know, unless someone knows something and has not shared it with the Pilot Nation community, how you could assume it is another big. Reading between the lines I see nothing but digital white, sometimes purple?

Where are the fortune tellers with predictions?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:11 pm

wrv wrote:I don't know, unless someone knows something and has not shared it with the Pilot Nation community, how you could assume it is another big. Reading between the lines I see nothing but digital white, sometimes purple?

Where are the fortune tellers with predictions?
The call has been made, now it's just a matter of time before a letter or fax arrives at UP and the announcement can be made. Whoever it is, if Rev is excited, I'm excited.

Sure, some may scratch their heads a little when the announcement is made, but I bet 90% of us will think it's a very good move and another opportunity to see a future (European) professional on the Bluff.

No sense trying to read between the lines, the only lines we should be concerned with are on the basketball court. Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:08 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

No sense trying to read between the lines, the only lines we should be concerned with are on the basketball court. Very Happy

Unless of course you are trying to read the center line at Matthew Knight Arena... Then you really DO have to read between the lines on the court....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:29 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Unless of course you are trying to read the center line at Matthew Knight Arena... Then you really DO have to read between the lines on the court....
Can you see a mid-court line? It's apparently there, and the design is within NCAA rules.

Every time I see this picture I feel I’ve (again) flunked a Rorschach Test. I can’t even see the trees (or is it the forest), let alone the mid-court line.

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 3 Matt_k10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:57 pm

It's a couple tiny lines...

Look between Donald's Er Puddles' legs

http://www.hindustantimes.com/photos-news/Photos-World/jan14world/Article4-650212.aspx

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:19 pm

dholcombe wrote:It's a couple tiny lines...

Look between Donald's Er Puddles' legs

http://www.hindustantimes.com/photos-news/Photos-World/jan14world/Article4-650212.aspx
Umm, I tried to look, but was distracted by the wonderful lines being held in the hands of the rally guys (that'll get everyone to check out the link).

Wow, all the way to Hindustan for a picture of Puddles and hardwood; is this a great world or what!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue May 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Oskars Reinfelds (Canarias Basketball Academy 2012) – Anyone from the CBA squad would qualify as a sleeper as the international team from Spain was filled with unknowns getting one of their only opportunities to perform for US college coaches. Reinfelds made quite an impression as the 6’5” physical guard buried shots from the perimeter and worked his way to the paint for interior buckets. He was consistently able to create and make his own shot against high level defenders and also facilitated the CBA offense. A natural scoring guard at the next level, I feel comfortable projecting Reinfelds to the mid to high-major level after only a weekend’s worth of viewing.

Another possibility . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next