Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period?

+15
blacksheep
Stonehouse
mattywizz
DaTruRochin
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
shallwemaui10
wccfan
oh brody
DoubleDipper
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
upsailor
DTLegend
wrv
19 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Empty Re: Did someone say today is first day spring signing period?

Post by wrv Mon May 14, 2012 5:01 pm

"6-foot-6 small forward Dyshawn Pierre (Whitby, Ont./Anderson Collegiate Vocational) committed to Dayton on Monday. ESPN's Dave Telep confirmed the news.

Pierre chose the Flyers over interest from Duquesne, Missouri, New Mexico, New Mexico State and Portland, among others.

"He was successful with the Canadian National team and played well on the Nike circuit last summer.," Telep said. "He gives them a combo forward whose best hoops is ahead of him. Had Pierre been projected as a qualifier earlier he would have been an even bigger name this spring." "

Another potential recruit apparently seriously considering the Pilots and coach Reveno.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Empty Re: Did someone say today is first day spring signing period?

Post by wrv Wed May 16, 2012 9:32 pm

A story regarding the latest efforts of Canarias Basketball Academy and their star players, some of whom have signed D1 scholarships. Try to determine which future Pilot led his team in scoring in the Spanish National Championship sweet 16. Hammink, Reinfelds running mate, has signed with LSU.

CBAs run at the Spanish National Championships has come to an end with a 54-64 defeat to Baloncesto Torrejon in the Sweet 16 stage of the competition. Oskar Reifelds finished with a team high 19 pts, 5 rebs and 6 steals. Whilst Shane Hammink and Simon Krajcovic also added 11 and 10 points respectively. Despite a fantastic first quarter display by CBA which saw them end the quarter up 22-16. It was CBAs shooting percentage (12/31, 38% from 2pt and 8/36, 22.2%) for the game which really became CBAs Achilles heal down the stretch as they were unable to take Torrejon out of their 1-3-1 zone. This ends another historic week for CBA at its 1st Spanish National Championship and has really set the standard for the Academy for the many seasons to come.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17, 2012 10:54 am

You know who I realized we have forgotten in all of our talk about PGs and players? Taylor Mossman. What is his position on the team?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 17, 2012 1:09 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:You know who I realized we have forgotten in all of our talk about PGs and players? Taylor Mossman. What is his position on the team?
Well, a great teammate, and well respected by all because of his hard work, his status is really up to Taylor. As a walk-on/non-scholarship student athlete, Taylor does all he can to make his teammates better, but will only see game action on the home court and during blowouts.

I imagine Taylor will be back, but you just never know. Being a walk-on with no prospects of a scholarship usually gets pretty old after a couple of years. Taylor has the drive and talent to play regularly at some D-2 schools, so you just never know.

I truly admire a guy who gives everything for the team, but who rarely garners public attention. His coaches and teammates love him!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Empty Official Press Release

Post by PilotNut Mon May 21, 2012 11:01 am

Nothing new here, but here is the official release on Oskars:

Pilots Sign Latvian Guard Oskars Reinfelds

PORTLAND, Ore. --- The University of Portland men’s basketball program has signed guard Oskars Reinfelds (6-4, 205) out of Oakley College (Spain) and Canarias Basketball Academy (CBA) to a National Letter of Intent, head coach Eric Reveno announced on Monday. Reinfelds, a native of Riga, Latvia and member of the Latvian Under-18 National Team, will graduate from Oakley College June 1 and join the Pilots for summer school. He is the third incoming freshman to sign as a member of the 2012 class.

Reinfelds was a teammate of current Pilot center Thomas van der Mars at CBA and has earned numerous accolades with the program. He was named the MVP of both the 2010 Rinus de Jong Invitational in Holland and the 2012 Campeonato de Gran Canaria in Tenerife, Spain. Earlier this year CBA travelled to the National Prep School Invitational in Rhode Island and Reinfelds was named to the all-tournament team against some of the top prep talents in the nation.

Reinfelds most recently led the CBA to the quarterfinals of the 2012 Spanish Junior National Championship and averaged a team-best 16.8 points and 6.3 rebounds in four games.

Last summer he competed with the Latvian Under-18 National Team at the 2011 European National Championships. He averaged 6.0 points, 4.0 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.6 steals over eight games.

“We are excited to add Oskars to the Pilot family,” Reveno said. “Oskars has played primarily point guard for CBA, but also has the size and ability to play the on the wing. Coming from an elite development academy like CBA and receiving excellent training from Coach Rob Orellana, we expect Oskars to come in and compete right away.”

"Portland offers Oskars a tremendous opportunity and we could not be more pleased with his decision," said Rob Orellana, Director of the CBA. "Coach Reveno and his staff have proven their unparalleled commitment to player development which has always been at the core of what we believe in. Oskars shares that same passion to become his best in everything he does. We look forward to his success at such a renowned institution."

Reinfelds joins previously signed guard Bryce Pressley and forward Jake Ehlers as members of the 2012 incoming freshman class.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue May 22, 2012 6:55 am

Also nothing new but the Canarias Basketball Academy release suggests more about Oskars abilities on the court. Of course Reveno suggested the young man will "compete right away." If this release is any indication, he may do just that. You might also note the allusion to the level of recruiting interest. Pilots may have a gem here . . .and among the more highly recruited ones to matriculate on the Bluff in the last several years.

The Canarias Basketball Academy (CBA) and the Oakley College partnership are delighted to announce that U18 Latvian International, Oskar Reinfelds has committed to play for head coach Eric Reveno and the Portland Pilots of the West Coast Conference.

CBA Director, Rob Orellana said; "this is a fantastic situation for Oskar to not just follow a path, but actually create his own destiny. He is a great asset for any college so coach Reveno and the Pilots are really getting great hard woking kid that has the calibre to be a major contributor on the success of this team. He has really developed into high level combo guard during his time at CBA and I"m really excited to see the next steps in Oskar's development".

Reinfelds has made a major impression in his two seasons spent at CBA. The Latvian U18 International was awarded tournament MVP of the 2010 U18 Rinus de Jong Invitational, as well as the 2011, U18 Isla De Tenerife tournament. This achievement was quickly followed by Oskar being named to the All-Tournament Team at the 2012 National Prep School Invitational in Rhode Island, USA.

The 6’5” physical combo guard has good shooting range and an innate ability to get into the paint for interior buckets. He is consistently able to create and make his own shot against high level defenders and has also been given the responsibility to facilitate the CBA offense. He is a high class natural scoring combo guard so it is no wonder why Oskar has drawn the attention of many mid to high-major colleges.

"I'm very grateful for the opportunity that has been given to me by Coach Reveno and The University of Portland", said Reinfelds. "I would also like to thank coach Rob (Orellana) for having me here at CBA and helping me not only develop as a basketball player, but more importantly, as a person".

Everyone here at CBA and the Oakley College Partnership wish Oskar every success with his very bright and promising future.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Empty WARNING

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:25 am

This WARNING concerns potential contact with UP "prospects"!

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Warnin10

The Mens Basketball coaching staff has asked that I pass on the following information so there are no "secondary" violations this coming weekend, or at at any time for that matter. I won't comment on the NCAA rules, I'm just the messenger!
I wanted to take a moment to also clarify for you something that might come up over the weekend and ask that you pass it along to your fellow supporters. Since the new student-athletes will not yet be enrolled, the NCAA deems them prospects (Reinfelds, Pressley, Ehlers & Ahern). What this means is that we cannot have arranged contact with them and member's of our athletic interest (namely alumni or supporters of the program). I bring this up because they might be around this weekend (including at the alumni game) and it would be considered a violation for them to have contact with you or any other supporters of the program. We will do our best not to put anyone in an awkward position but I just wanted to give you the heads up and ask that you pass word along should you have the opportunity to do so.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:36 am

Raise your hand if you had planned an all night kegger . ..

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:42 am

wrv wrote:Raise your hand if you had planned an all night kegger . ..

I never plan my all night keggers around basketball.

No need. Cheers!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:15 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:This WARNING concerns potential contact with UP "prospects"!

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Warnin10

The Mens Basketball coaching staff has asked that I pass on the following information so there are no "secondary" violations this coming weekend, or at at any time for that matter. I won't comment on the NCAA rules, I'm just the messenger!
I wanted to take a moment to also clarify for you something that might come up over the weekend and ask that you pass it along to your fellow supporters. Since the new student-athletes will not yet be enrolled, the NCAA deems them prospects (Reinfelds, Pressley, Ehlers & Ahern). What this means is that we cannot have arranged contact with them and member's of our athletic interest (namely alumni or supporters of the program). I bring this up because they might be around this weekend (including at the alumni game) and it would be considered a violation for them to have contact with you or any other supporters of the program. We will do our best not to put anyone in an awkward position but I just wanted to give you the heads up and ask that you pass word along should you have the opportunity to do so.

If the coaching staff thinks that talking to a player who has already signed a letter of intent at a charity basketball game is a violation of NCAA rules, they are very paranoid.

It's not like any of us owns a tattoo parlor or car dealership....Wink
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:35 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:
It's not like any of us owns a tattoo parlor or car dealership....Wink
I dunno, Geez. After seeing your picture on your Facebook account, I'm more than just a little concerned.........

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Geezer10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:56 pm

I had the color filled in since then.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Such is the state of college basketball recruiting that, without the judicious but swift intervention of the NCAA, recruits might otherwise be lured by the temptation of a seductive blandishment.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Empty Old Alums

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:25 pm

Look at these old guys in this picture with our coaches taken today. Probably too old to play in the Alumni Game this weekend at noon in Howard Hall.

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Tashi_11

btw: you can talk to these guys without risking an NCAA violation ... I think.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Just for clarification...
Is there another blandishment besides a seductive one?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:23 pm

You could assume seductive and blandishment are redundant . . .but one look at that picture and you might think otherwise.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Empty Breakfast of Champions

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:51 am

You can see from this picture (taken by Luke Sikma) that the boys are sticking close to their training table diet of beer and pizza as they prepare for today's game at Howard Hall.

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Pilot_10

See you at the game!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Empty Oskar(s)

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:47 pm

Oskars (remember, the final s is silent) is excited to be on campus and is ready for class. cheers

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 5 Oskars10

(Photo courtesy of Rev)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:11 pm

Turned on the SEC Network to watch the Georgia-Clemson game today and happened to catch the OT period of Ole Miss-Troy. I remembered that Oskars eventually transferred to Troy after a stint at a JC, but he longer appeared to be on the team. Did some digging and found out he ended up at NAIA Martin Methodist in Tennessee. I'm guessing this is not the college basketball career he had hoped for. What could have been...

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks, UGA, you saved me from having to watch the Troy game that is on my DVR.

Oskars was one of the best during shoot-arounds and drills, but never really discoverd discipline and TEAM play.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5