Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Season. What, already?

+19
The Real O-H-I-O
oh brody
Stonehouse
DJ Sherman
dholcombe
mattywizz
bballguy
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
onetouchfutbol
DaTruRochin
NoPoNeighbor
Woodless!
PilotNut
pilotram
blacksheep
oldtimer
DTLegend
DoubleDipper
23 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 5 Empty Re: Next Season. What, already?

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:48 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Here's a great interview with Assistant Coach Mike Wolf previewing the season: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/the-east-west-hoops-loop/2012/08/20/the-east-west-hoops-loop-episode-8
I listened to the entire 30 minute interview with Coach Wolf while in commute traffic yesterday, and found him to be a very thoughtful, articulate, and informative guy.

There was really nothing new disclosed in the interview, but it was a wonderful way to get to know Coach Wolf.

He did talk of how the team will reflect Rev’s style of hardnosed and tough half court defense with the ability to get out and run on occasion, but it was his honest assessment of how UP basketball should be measured that brought kudos from the interviewer.

It’s worth a listen….if you’ve got 30 minutes.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 5 Empty Strongman Competition

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:43 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:Did anyone go watch that strongman competition they had?
You can now see some of the competition on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCX9te85FGw&feature=youtu.be
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Portland
Best-case scenario: Portland coach Eric Reveno is one of his profession's most proficient Twitter users, and anyone who actually gets Twitter is guaranteed to warm the cockles of this quasi-tech geek/basketball writer's heart. On the court, unfortunately, things are not looking quite as good. The Pilots finished just 7-24 last season, including a 3-13 record in WCC play. To make matters worse, point guard Tim Douglas transferred to cross-town rival Portland State this offseason. Leading scorers Kevin Bailey and Ryan Nicholas are back, so some improvement should be expected. But how much? Five league wins? Six?

Worst-case scenario: The odds of another seven-win-or-worse season seems pretty remote, but the loss of Douglas does hurt. Anything in single-digit wins territory should count as a worst-case scenario for any program, even one in this lowly position.
I don't think we've seen this July 25 article on PN before (have we?), but it's a good rundown from ESPN's Eamonn Brennan on the coming WCC season. He also mentions that Ryan is the Pilots' most important player, and losing Tim Douglas puts more pressure on Ryan.

(Note: I saw an article somewhere that showed Rev is ranked #51 in his number of Twitter followers amongst all D-1 basketball coaches, but the whole idea of Twitter rankings amongst coaches just seemed too lame to comment on when I saw it). Evil or Very Mad

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/summershootaround120725/west-coast
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Read Embarassed Actually DD, I mentioned it the day it was released (see page 5 of this topic), again thanks to Dons Central for the initial link.

There was a brief discussion about Tim Douglas being the Most Important player, but after a commenter to the ESPN topic (not me) pointed Tim had transferred to PSU and PN discussed some alternatives, Ryan Nicholas was selected as the new Most Important Player, probably after not looking at this topic whatsoever.

I appreciate the new wrinkle and the devil smiley, however.

Despite ranking Coach Rev #51, Brennan is still not following Coach Reveno on twitter, at least not on his own account. Rev does follow Brennan (scroll down a few times or page down 23), go figure. Rolling Eyes

Nevertheless, we're too far out to start quibbling about details like that, not on the day the PSU/Lewis & Clark simultaneous double header was averted! Thanks for that report, DD! Cheers!
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:12 am

OH MY, how embarrassing! How could I have overlooked your post on July 25?
Next Season.  What, already? - Page 5 Oh_my10
Thanks though for saving me a little by posting about Rev's Twitter account.....it would seem it doesn't matter who he's following as long as he's following his boss......which he is! Thanks for the shout out about the WBX schedule…..the ladies will be expecting you.

So, DJ, are you going to be able to attend the games this season. I'm sure all the PN readers will want to know if you'll be able to take advantage of your complimentary membership in the Pilot Club or will you be visiting the Condor Club?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:04 pm

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Better start making Christmas plans now! It appears the Pilots wiil be playing in the Las Vegas Classic (Orleans Arena), Dec 22 & 23. Eight teams, two games each.

Virginia Tech, Bradley, Colorado St, Cal St Bakersfield, Miss Valley St, Georgia Southern, North Florida, and UP.
Nothing says Christmas like bright decorations
Next Season.  What, already? - Page 5 Showgi10
santa santa
The Las Vegas Classic shows up in more than one thread on PN, but since it started here....I will continue it here.

As you may recall, there are a couple of preliminary games at the Chiles Center: 1) Cal State Bakersfield on Dec 17, and 2) North Florida on Dec 21. After that, these teams and others move on to Las Vegas for the Las Vegas Classic on December 22 and 23 at the Orleans Arena:

Here's the schedule in Las Vegas:

2012 Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic Schedule

Saturday, Dec. 22 (All Times PST)
12:00 p.m. Georgia Southern vs. Mississippi Valley State
2:30 p.m. Cal State Bakersfield vs. North Florida
5:00 p.m. Bradley vs. Virginia Tech
7:30 p.m. Portland vs. Colorado State

Sunday, Dec. 23
12:45 p.m. Loser UNF/CSUB vs. Loser MVSU/Georgia Southern
3:15 p.m Winner UNF/CSUB vs. Winner MVSU/Georgia Southern
6:00 p.m. Loser Portland/Colorado St. vs. Loser Bradley/Va Tech
8:30 p.m. Winner Portland/Colorado St. vs. Winner Bradley/Va Tech

(Ticket and hotel information available soon)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 5 Empty Top Nine Teams in the West

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Greg Crawford of Comcast Sports Net writes there are six leagues in the western US that play D-1 basketball: the Pac-12, WCC, Big West, WAC, Mountain West, and Big Sky. Here is his preseason prediction of the top nine teams from those six conferences (there will be regular updates throughout the season):
9. Montana----So well coached by Wayne Tinkle, big IF is the status of Will Cherry, who fractured his foot working out this fall and might redshirt if his injury does not heal in time for league play, which starts in December.

8. New Mexico---No matter the talent level, Lobos are always a factor in west coast college basketball. Steve Alford could probably take the country of Greenland all-stars and have a winning team, he is just a winner as a basketball person.

7. Long Beach State---Dan Monson has done an impressive job of coaching since arriving at Long Beach. He will have to this year, as he lost three key starters, but he has it going in the Big West and his team will probably win the league again this year.

6. St. Mary's---A team that’s had a good run as of late under Randy Bennett. He is more than likely a lifer at St. Mary's which makes it very easy to build a strong program.
5. San Diego State---With no pro basketball team in San Diego, the town is in love with the Aztecs and their coach Steve Fisher. His team will have another big season this year, might on occasion drop out of Craw's Nine, but not for whole season.

4. Gonzaga---I keep saying, one year the Zags will break through and be a Final Four team. I say for that to happen, gear back all the big games in pre-league, which has happened slightly this year. If Gonzaga, does not make the Final Four this year, it never will until a coaching change takes place. They are loaded with talent.

3. UNLV---This is my sleeper team in all of college basketball. The Running Rebels have won back the fans, have really good players and picked up Anthony Bennett, one of top five recruits in country in the class of 2012. Watch out, they are really good.

2. Arizona---Best coach in the Pac-12. He has talent, could easily win the Pac-12 regular season and post-season tournament and be in the Final Four. If Sean Miller stays at Arizona, he will win a national championship for the Wildcats.

1. UCLA---If Ben Howland does not win big with this group of Bruins, he will be fired at the end of season. He has so many young great players; the Bruins could win the NCAA championship this season. With the renovation of Pauley Pavilion and if Shabazz Muhammad is eligible, a big IF, Bruins win the Pac-12.
Ha, we only play four schools (six games) out of the top nine....time to toughen up that schedule! Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:40 pm

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Better start making Christmas plans now! It appears the Pilots wiil be playing in the Las Vegas Classic (Orleans Arena), Dec 22 & 23. Eight teams, two games each.

Virginia Tech, Bradley, Colorado St, Cal St Bakersfield, Miss Valley St, Georgia Southern, North Florida, and UP.
The Las Vegas Classic shows up in more than one thread on PN, but since it started here....I will continue it here.

As you may recall, there are a couple of preliminary games at the Chiles Center: 1) Cal State Bakersfield on Dec 17, and 2) North Florida on Dec 21. After that, these teams and others move on to Las Vegas for the Las Vegas Classic on December 22 and 23 at the Orleans Arena:

Here's the schedule in Las Vegas:

2012 Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic Schedule

Saturday, Dec. 22 (All Times PST)
12:00 p.m. Georgia Southern vs. Mississippi Valley State
2:30 p.m. Cal State Bakersfield vs. North Florida
5:00 p.m. Bradley vs. Virginia Tech
7:30 p.m. Portland vs. Colorado State

Sunday, Dec. 23
12:45 p.m. Loser UNF/CSUB vs. Loser MVSU/Georgia Southern
3:15 p.m Winner UNF/CSUB vs. Winner MVSU/Georgia Southern
6:00 p.m. Loser Portland/Colorado St. vs. Loser Bradley/Va Tech
8:30 p.m. Winner Portland/Colorado St. vs. Winner Bradley/Va Tech

(Ticket and hotel information available soon)
OK, here's the ticket and hotel info:

The Orleans Arena will sell tickets for both days only ... no single day tickets. The prices for two day tickets are $44/$65/$115. UP is only selling the $115 tickets. The high price tickets are the three center sections on each side of the arena from the floor to the entry doors, but it is my experience the ushers are extremely liberal about you sitting most anywhere you want, regardless of your ticket.

Hotel accommodations at the Orleans Hotel are: Dec 22 - $50 and Dec 23 $29 (plus tax).

See (a couple of) you there.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:02 pm

So let me get this straight, it costs twice as much to attend the games than it does to stay at the hotel?? Sure you werent quoting prices from the Circus Circus Smile

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 pm

oldtimer wrote:So let me get this straight, it costs twice as much to attend the games than it does to stay at the hotel?? Sure you werent quoting prices from the Circus Circus Smile
Ha hah, well $79 (plus tax) for the two nights I'll be staying in the hotel is low, but the $44 for tickets that are good for 8 basketball games including 2 UP games is actually half the hotel room, not vice-versa.....so you're math may be that of a politician, but I get your point! Cool It's not very expensive.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 pm

wait wait, you said that UP was only selling the 115.00 tickets and the hotel you quoted was 50.00 and 29.00 for the two nights. 115>79 Smile

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 pm

oldtimer wrote:wait wait, you said that UP was only selling the 115.00 tickets and the hotel you quoted was 50.00 and 29.00 for the two nights. 115>79 Smile
Umm, I've purchased my tickets directly from the Orleans Arena for $44; not from the Pilots' box office for $115. As I said, the ushers have been pretty liberal as to where you sit. Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:54 pm

CBSSports has released its pre-season top 100 NCAA Men’s Basketball players for the 2012-13 season, and UP will play against 14 of them this year.

5. Nerlens Noel; 6-10, 230, C, Fr, UK
6. Mike Moser; 6-8, 210, F, Jr, UNLV
30. Matthew Dellavedova; 6-4, 190, PG, Sr, SMC
32. Alex Poythress; 6-7, 240, F, Sr, UK
33. Archie Goodwin; 6-4, 200, SG, Fr, UK
37. Elias Harris; 6-8, 240, F, Sr, GU
57. Anthony Bennett; 6-8, 240, PF, Fr, UNLV
62. Ryan Harrow; 6-2, 170, PG, So, UK
65. Brandon Davies; 6-9, 240, PF, Sr, BYU
70. Anthony Marshal; 6-3, 200, PG, Sr, UNLV
73. D.J. Cooper; 6-0, 176, PG, Sr, Ohio
76. Brock Motum; 6-10, 245, PF, Sr, WSU
86. Tony Snell; 6-7, 195, SG, Jr, UNM
92. Kevin Pangos; 6-2, 185, PG, So, GU

I look forward to seeing how UP players match-up against these fine athletes. There was a time when UP could shut down a star player and have a chance of winning; this year our opponents are deep even without their stars, including UK with four players on the Top 100 list.

You can see the entire list here: Top 100
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:53 pm

I can't believe that there is an actual senior on UK's roster!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Single game tickets are now on sale for all games other than Gonzaga and BYU.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:57 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I can't believe that there is an actual senior on UK's roster!

Aw, he's been a senior for several years.

More seriously, he was a senior in high school last spring.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Alex-Poythress-6286/

Another one and done prospect.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:37 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I can't believe that there is an actual senior on UK's roster!
Yea, sorry about that, it was my typo that made young Alex a senior; of course he's a freshman.

UK has one senior, Mississippi transfer guard Twany Beckham, and one grad student, guard Julius Mays.

After high school Beckham played a year at New Hampton Prep School, then played his freshman year at Mississippi State before redshirting a year, playing another half year for MSU, and then transferring to UK. He then sat out a year, and played the second of half of last season for the national champions. To his apparent credit, he did walk-on at UK, and is now on scholarship. Maturing nicely, he won’t be 24 years-old until next month! Razz

Think you may have heard Julius Mays’ name before? It's probably because he was the Horizon League Newcomer of the year last season. What? Yea, before his one-and-done year at Wright State of the Horizon League, where he graduated in June, Mays played two years at North Carolina State followed by a redshirt year. With the new transfer rules in place, Mays is able to transfer to UK for grad school and play immediately.

Just love the NCAA rules that allow the transfers, but not peanut butter on bagels. Evil or Very Mad

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:45 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Single game tickets are now on sale for all games other than Gonzaga and BYU.
For those who have purchased season tickets, it is my understanding there will be a ticket pick-up and practice on Saturday October 20 at 1:30. I'm sure you'll see details from the ticket office soon.......

Reminder: season ticket holders get first dibs on GU and BYU tickets; I just orderd four more for the GU game in an attempt to even the crowd (slightly). Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Just love the NCAA rules that allow the transfers, but not peanut butter on bagels. Evil or Very Mad

Coach Reveno? Is that you?

DoubleDipper wrote: I just orderd four more for the GU game in an attempt to even the crowd (slightly). Razz

I feel like we need that more so for BYU...

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:30 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:
I feel like we need that more so for BYU...
Man, that is so wide open for comment, but due to my "baptism" by some BYU fans in Las Vegas last March and the POSSIBILITY of the inauguration of a new president just days before the BYU game, I think I'll just leave it to others to think of all the possibilities.

One thing we know for sure from our year of experience, the BYU crowd will be comprised of a LOT more young kids than rowdy drunks.....just the opposite of the GU game.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:05 pm

It’s Fall Break at UP, and also the beginning of practice for the men’s basketball team. The first two hour practice of the new season is tomorrow (Friday) at 5:00PM.

Practices Saturday and Sunday will be at 10:30 and 4:30….two hours each. Light work with teaching and shooting in the morning; competitive scrimmaging in the afternoon.

All the practices are scheduled nicely between all three soccer matches this weekend.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 5 Empty First Practice

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:56 pm

No rain in the Chiles Center this evening....but lots of drills and coaching. The first real scrimmage is tomorrow at 4:30.

The guys looked good in their new practice uniforms.......

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 5 First_10

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:27 am

Ha ha, as I mentioned, I attended the very low key coaching session that made up the Pilots first practice of the season. But, WOW.....look what others did during Midnight Madness around the country:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20553145/pics-and-vids-its-the-best-of-fridays-midnight-madness

I imagine some will have a comment or two. I for one am quite pleased to be tucked away in North Portland far from the rock concert atmosphere at other venues.

Seriously! Tom Izzo is the gladiator?

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 5 Izzo10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:13 pm

I actually love how we are represented in that article. Nothing fancy. All ball.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:23 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:I actually love how we are represented in that article. Nothing fancy. All ball.
Agreed!

I think the caption with the Pilots picture at the end of the article said it all:
Love this too. Some choose to start the season with nothing but squeaks, shouts, whistles and echoes.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next