Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crew

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Crew Empty Crew

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:31 pm

So....

UP's first official outing is on 3/17, i see. it says Lewis and Clark at 8:00 AM

Really? if i want to go see the team in action I have to get up before a retired guy's Dawn?

What? The sun isn't even up. Do they use floodlights? scratch
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Crew Empty Re: Crew

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:44 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Really? if i want to go see the team in action I have to get up before a retired guy's Dawn?
Totally agree! I watched them on Vancouver Lake in late October and it was too dark to even get a good picture. If they want us to get up at that crazy hour there had better be breakfast-burritos and champagne served like when we're hot air ballooning. Razz
Crew Portla10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:06 am

Should be interesting to see them slalom around all the salmon fishermen.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:57 am

up7587 wrote:Should be interesting to see them slalom around all the salmon fishermen.
You mean without slamming them into the sludgy slough? Razz

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:40 pm

It’s not that often I see an article about women’s rowing/crew, so when I saw one that quoted UP women’s rowing Coach Bill Zack AND the headline mentioned women’s shirts, it piqued my interest.

The article is way too complicated for me, but it’s exactly the kind of article the Geez would like, AND it’s from the New York Times, Geez. Razz

http://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/waityou-can-bet-your-shirt-in-womens-rowing-or-can-you/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:06 pm

I vote the article and three others I linked to him the stupidest article on the NCAA. Nowhere does it tell you what rule it is so you can look it up yourself. And Nogera seems very confused between betting shirts and exchanging shirts. Two very different concepts.

For the record, I have been to college women's Rugby matches where they bet shirts.part of the fun was getting the other team to take their shirts off.

And Bill Zack has been involved in regional crew affairs for years. He is the perfect guy to start a program.

And Jack Avina admitted to paying for a kid's tip home for a funeral. He said he didn't care what the rule was.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:40 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:I vote the article and three others I linked to him the stupidest article on the NCAA. Nowhere does it tell you what rule it is so you can look it up yourself. And Nogera seems very confused between betting shirts and exchanging shirts. Two very different concepts.
Razz I was hoping you would say that because I was totally baffled by the article. I grew up (soccer wise) in the UK, where the exchange of shirts was a given. I think NOgera is writing purely to see his own words, not for the readers! Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:09 pm

You had to know this was coming....

here is the definition of wagering in the NCAA manual:

10.02.1 sports wagering. [#] Sports wagering includes placing, accepting or soliciting a wager (on a staff member’s or student-athlete’s own behalf or on the behalf of others) of any type with any individual or organiza- tion on any intercollegiate, amateur or professional team or contest. Examples of sports wagering include, but are not limited to, the use of a bookmaker or parlay card; Internet sports wagering; auctions in which bids are placed on teams, individuals or contests; and pools or fantasy leagues in which an entry fee is required and there is an opportunity to win a prize. (Adopted: 4/26/07 effective 8/1/07)
10.02.2 wager. [#] A wager is any agreement in which an individual or entity agrees to give up an item of value (e.g., cash, shirt, dinner) in exchange for the possibility of gaining another item of value. (Adopted: 4/26/07 effective 8/1/07)

OH, Jeez, they say betting shirts is wagering!!! gasp)

but wait a minute, when they actually tell you what is and isn't acceptable, there is this.

10.3.1 scope of Application. [#] The prohibition against sports wagering applies to any institutional prac- tice or any competition (intercollegiate, amateur or professional) in a sport in which the Association conducts championship competition, in bowl subdivision football and in emerging sports for women. (Adopted: 4/26/07 effective 8/1/07)
10.3.1.1 Exception. [#] The provisions of Bylaw 10.3 are not applicable to traditional wagers between in- stitutions (e.g., traditional rivalry) or in conjunction with particular contests (e.g., bowl games). Items wagered must be representative of the involved institutions or the states in which they are located. (Adopted: 4/26/07 effective 8/1/07)

So, if it traditional or a sports rivalry or a particular contest, you can do it, just as those College Presidents wager a case of Merlo for a truckload of Florida Oranges (yum).

So, is it traditional? Is it done? Is it secret? Has anybody ever been busted for it?

stay tuned....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Part 2:

OK, when i wanted to see if there is a tradition of shirt exchanging or shirt betting in College rowing, i started google "rowing AND shirts AND betting" for ivy league schools. second try was Yale, where Nathan Hale went to school (yeah, there were other guys, but he is their best product)

Yale and the other Ivys were the first schools to compete, and they did it first in this sport.

It turns out Yale isn't at all shy about how their rowers bet shirts, and further, they out just about everyone else. So, if it is banned, these folks don't know. This could be the biggest betting scandal since the City College of New York got Busted.

lets see... the Yale-Harvard Regatta started in 1843. that's 169 years of betting violations. I wonder if both schools will get the death penalty? maybe the Yale president will suffer Nathan Hale's fate.

here is the article from the Yale Daily News:
Oarsmen must win to keep shirts on their backs

By Tyler Borek
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Since the fall of the professional oarsman in the late 19th century, American rowing has survived only as an unpopular amateur sport, carried on by a small groups of fervent, oft-ignored devotees.

In “The Amateurs,” perhaps the most professionally rendered recent account of competitive rowing, David Halberstam emphasizes the amateur nature of competitive rowing. Back in the day, he says, oarsman rowed “because they wanted to, for no reward other than the feeling itself.” And now, for true rowing enthusiasts and modern dissidents like Halberstam, the sport has come to embody a conservative aesthetic, he says — a charming, anachronistic curiosity.

‘Lost in the mists of time’

Shirt-racing, or shirt-betting, embodies this traditional aesthetic. Pre-eminent rowing collector-historian Tom Weil ’71 says losers were traditionally obliged to strip the racing shirts off their backs and hand them to their opponents on the water. The boats would pull together, shake hands, pass the shirts and push apart, with the losing crew rowing back to the dock shirtless.

Today, generally speaking, crews pass shirts on the dock or on shore, tempering, at least somewhat, the humiliation of the defeat.

The delay of the exchange has emerged in tandem with another variation on traditional shirt-racing, in which teams purchase cheaper shirts for trading purposes. This practice, according to Weil, was implemented by a savvy Athletics Department to deal with crews who were losing shirts every race, incurring a substantial cost to the University.

Despite shirt-racing’s status as an established tradition in the rowing community, its origins are strangely unclear. Weil describes the practice as one “particularly lost in the mists of time.”

Yale lightweight coach Andy Card, who rowed at Princeton in the late ’80s, recalls taking part in the tradition.

“It was certainly established when I was around,” Card said.

Presumably, shirt-racing is so old that no one remembers how it began, only romanticizing further the practice. But Weil suggests that the betting of shirts may have been introduced by a Syracuse crew in 1920, or even more recently than that. While Weil’s collection includes stories of shirt-racing dating back to the ’20s and ’30s, the collector has never seen an image of the practice before the ’60s. Weil further emphasized that one can be sure of shirt-racing’s 20th-century origins since, pre-1900, racing was done primarily without shirts.

Today, shirt-racing remains largely confined to men’s collegiate rowing in the United States. Most current rowers, including Yale oarswoman Tess Gerrand ’10, attribute the gender discrepancy to the anti-gambling regulations of the NCAA. Women’s rowing is an NCAA sport, while men’s is not. But shirt-racing was never a part of women’s rowing, even before it became an NCAA sport in 1997.

In a letter to the editor of The New York Times on June 10, 1997, Mary Gallagher, a female Princeton rower in the mid-1970s, claimed a lack of women’s shirt-racing resulted from economic constraints due to unequal funding for women’s athletics prior to Title IX.

‘An unwritten code’

As for the exportation of shirt-racing, it seems the practice remains an exclusively American tradition. At international competitions, oarsmen often exchange uniforms and team gear regardless of the result, but actual shirt-betting does not occur.

In American men’s collegiate rowing, shirt-racing happens primarily in the spring. Competitive rowers train all year, competing in the fall and spring. While in the fall rowers race 5K head races against the clock, the spring consists of side-by-side 2K races. A team’s typical spring rowing program includes a number of dual races, featuring one or two other crews in preparation for the championship regatta-style races in May and June. For Division I men’s rowing, these championship races are the Eastern Sprints and the Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships (IRAs). The IRA is considered the national championship.

Division I rowing schools compete in annual dual races in which shirt-racing is established tradition. Similarly, the championship regattas operate according to an unspoken winner-take-all arrangement. In these races, because of large number of competitors, competition is divided into heats, semifinals and finals. The winner of the “grand final” takes home all of the jerseys, including those of teams eliminated in earlier rounds. Thus, championship crews return to campus with piles of racing jerseys, sometimes as many as 25, which they are free to wear as emblems of conquest.

While oarsmen don the gear of vanquished competitors with pride, the exchange itself is generally characterized by respect and humility.

Yale lightweight freshman coach Joe Fallon ’06 describes shirt-racing as a time-honored practice.

“[It] adds to the camaraderie of the sport,” Fallon said, “since the shirt exchange after the race typically involves a collegial dialogue in which men, who were bitter foes only minutes before, express mutual respect for one another.”

Lightweight rower Spencer Salovaara ’10 characterizes the shirt exchange as a civil completion to the race.

“[It] operates according to an unwritten code of humility,” he said.

Halberstam traces the respectful tone of the exchange to the sense of community that has developed in the insular world of rowing, in part due to the intense physical demands of the sport.

“Humility became part of the code,” Halberstam wrote in his book, “Because your adversaries had subjected themselves to virtually the same regimen that you did, you respected them as much as you respected yourself.”

To an outsider, the civility of the exchange might disguise the intensity of the competition, but many of the rowers interviewed said it merely reinforces it.

The humiliation of losing one’s shirt is palpable and personal, described by Weil as both “symbolic” and “very real.”

“In a normal sport, if you lose, you can go hide yourself in the locker room. In this sport, you offer yourself up to the victors,” Salovarra notes.
http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2008/apr/09/oarsmen-must-win-to-keep-shirts-on-their-backs/

there are 4,720 hits on the same subject.
I wonder if Nogera will get the Pulitzer for his article?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:48 am

What did I tell you, PN readers!! Just give the dog a bone................

Crew Dog_wi10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Crew Dog_wi10

WOOF!!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Cool RACE DAY TOMORROW!!! Cool

From UP Athletic Department:

The Portland Pilots women's rowing team will begin the 2012 spring season with a series of races against Lewis & Clark and a boat christening on Saturday morning near the Portland Boathouse on the east bank of the Willamette River. The race is scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m., while the boat christening will take place at 10:30 a.m.

“The team is excited to get the racing season started,” said UP head coach Bill Zack. “This is the end of our spring break, and the team has accomplished a lot and has really come together. This will be a great way to end the week.”

Saturday’s event against the Lewis & Clark Pioneers will feature four 1,000 meter “mini” races on the Willamette River. The starting line will be just south of the Ross Island Bridge, and the 1,000 meter course will run south down the Holgate Channel, finishing near the Ross Island Lagoon.

The Pilots first eight will race against both the Lewis & Clark first eight and the Pioneers top men’s four. UP’s second and third eight’s will race Lewis & Clark’s second eight and a second men’s four.

The meet will be followed by a boat christening and the naming of the two newest Pilot boats at the Portland Boathouse. UP’s eight-person shell will be named ‘Fr. Bill’ in honor of University President, Rev. E. William Beauchamp, C.S.C., while the four-person shell will be named ‘Al and Sue Corrado’ in honor of the Life Regents and longtime supporters of UP athletics. Al Corrado is a class of ’55 alumnus.

“The new equipment demonstrates the University’s support of the rowing team,” said Zack, “and we’re thrilled to honor Father Beauchamp and the Corrados, all of whom do so much for the entire University and the Athletic Department as well.”

Zack noted that UP’s co-captains will express the team’s appreciation during the christening ceremony.

The Portland Boathouse is located on the east bank of the Willamette River at the east end of the Hawthorne Bridge, just north of OMSI.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:42 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:... So, is it traditional? Is it done? Is it secret? Has anybody ever been busted for it? ....

There's something very nuanced in the use of some of the terminology in this discussion.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:02 am

Wow, that will be interesting. The river is high and muddy right now

Back to top Go down

Crew Empty UP v. Lewis and Clark

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Watching the crew teams this morning was a lot of fun. There were several good viewing points from the Springwater trail where you could see almost the whole Sprint course. i took my bike so I could follow along quite nicely since the trees haven't filled out yet.

results were about as expected. The UP #1 boat was clearly the fastest boat on the water, and the Women's #2 boat won all its heats. the #3 boat had good and bad heats, but when they were in sync, they looked pretty good and did come in second behind the #2 UP boat in the second heat.

here's some pictures from the day:

start of one of the heats for the first boats. the UP boat "Fr. Bill" is second from the right.
the Lewis & Clark Boat is on the right, and 2 L&C men's four oared boats are on the left.
Crew Screen25

Fr. Bill in front of the field about halfway down the 1,000M course
Crew Screen26

the #3 UP boat (yellow) going neck and neck with the L&C #2 boat ( I think this was the first heat)
Crew Screen34

the #2 UP boat heading back downriver after a heat.
Crew Screen35

no shirts were exchanged today. Hell, i wouldn't even have been willing to take off my parka.

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:23 pm; edited 5 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Crew Empty The Christening of the Boats

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:47 pm

UP got 2 brand new boats which were christened today, which were given to the school through the generosity of the Corrados.

the 8 oared boat has been Christened Fr. Bill, and the four oared shell has been named in Honor of Al And Sue Corrado. the 4 is configured for a bow coxwain. These carbon fiber beauties are a sight to behold.

Here's a few shots from the christening:

Fr. Bill and Al and Sue Corrado peeking out the boat shed
Crew Screen27

Coach Bill Zack saying a few words.
Crew Screen28

Team members say some words.
Crew Screen29

The Blessing of the boats
Crew Screen31

Father Bill spilling champaign on Fr. Bill. the Corrados followed suit with the boat named for them.
Crew Screen30

Team shot
Crew Screen32

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Great report and great pictures, Geez. Thanks!!

Unfortunately, for us, there are no more "home" meetings for our ladies. According to the UP website, this is all there is:

3/31/2012 Husky Open in Seattle
4/14/2012 Covered Bridge Regatta in Eugene
5/5/2012 Opening Day Regatta in Seattle
5/12/2012 West Coast Conference Championships, Rancho Cordova, Calif.

Now that folks, is a short season.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:.

Now that folks, is a short season.

The Huskies only show 7 dates on their regular Spring season.

You have to save 3 dates for the NCAA's or Head of the Charles Very Happy

All in time. All in time.

We finally have the 3 eights and a four to compete in all classes.

(varsity 8, second varsity 8, novice 8, and Varsity 4)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Adding this additional picture showing Al and Sue Corrado (and Fr. Bill) who have been so instrumental in the success of UP's athletic department and the entire student body.

Crew Al_and10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks, i never got a good shot of them because their backs were turned to my overhead vantage point. I did get a good shot of the guy who took the picture you posted, though Embarassed
Everywhere you look, they have helped the university when their help was needed.

I did get a dim shot of Al looking over the boats in the Boat House. Still learning how to use my new camera.
Crew Screen37

Just so Al and Sue don't think their support was wasted, the students were pretty good at getting Father Bill (left, below) up the course, too. (here at about 500M) I forget which heat this was, but the results were pretty much the same each time. the L&C eight and the two men's fours are to the right.
Crew Screen33

and to give you an idea how long these boats are, here is the "old" boat being taken back to the house, with the yellow third boat waiting its turn. 27 UP team members had fun. Maybe the next time I'll get a picture of the new four in action.
Crew Screen36

the dragonboaters heading towards their boat had to duck down so they didn't get swept off the dock by the oar riggers. Lots of traffic on that dock.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 pm

I guess UP recruits too:

By KEVIN DOUCETTE
Bainbridge Island Review
MARCH 20, 2012 • 10:14 AM

After having their best season ever last spring the Bainbridge Island high school crew team, which boasts a total of 106 athletes combined in the boys and girls team, looks to even out-do last season.

Head coach Tom Goss said this is the first crop of seniors he has had.
“We are very excited,” Goss said. “This promises to be our best year ever.”
The team’s first regatta is Saturday, but only the novice riders will travel.
The varsity team’s first of three big regattas is on April 14-16 in Eugene, Ore., where both high school and college level teams will compete.

The meets for the crew team all lead up to the Regional Championship Regatta at Vancouver Lake in mid-May, where Goss said he hopes to have a boat or two qualify for nationals, which takes place in Tennessee.
It will take all eight riders to reach the goal of qualifying for nationals, but both the girls and boys have some exciting athletes to keep an eye on.

For the girls, Bridget Sloat and Hannah Marsing are two of the team’s strongest riders. Both have said they are going to row at universities next year.

Sloat plans to row for the University of Portland and Marsing plans to row for Bucknell.

A: UP will also have their boats at the regattas in Eugene in April.
B: Who knew they were called "riders?" It seems to me they work awfully hard to be simply "riders."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:37 pm

DoubleDipper wrote: Who knew they were called "riders?" It seems to me they work awfully hard to be simply "riders."

Sounds like a term an Army recruiter made up.

" Hey buddy, we're going to ride into Iraq. Wanna ride along?"
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Crew Empty Husky Open

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:28 pm

While UW sent its top three women's boats to San Diego for a regatta down there, they still had enough boats to give UP some competition at the Husky Open, which featured Men's boats from Brown and UW.
( I think UW has about a gazillion rowers.)

I'm pretty sure this is the first time a UP Varsity team has actually raced at 2000 meters, or even gone through all the logistics at a regatta.

The big news is that the brand new boat is unbeaten, as they won the varsity 4+.
It was the first race of the day, so I bet they were pumped.
Congrats on their first win.

The Novice UP boat was only 4 seconds behind the UW boat, and the UP Varsity 8 came in behind the two UW boats.

Husky Open

Collegiate W V 4+
UP.........08:07.38 
UW........08:13.43

Collegiate W N 8+
UW........07:52.03
UP.........07:56.54

Collegiate W V 8+
UW.........06:59.24
UW.........07:18.37
UP..........07:34.13

Complete results

http://www.huskycrew.com/Brown2012/2012%20Husky%20Open%20Results.pdf

BTW, all three UW women's boats went trough to tomorrow's final in San Diego.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:18 pm

The Portland Pilots women’s rowing team traveled south Saturday for the Covered Bridge Regatta at Dexter Lake in Eugene.

The first-year Pilots competed in six events against some well established programs and did very, very well.

Results:
Novice 4 – 7h place
JV 4 – 2nd place
Varsity 4 – 1st place
Novice 8 – 1st place
JV 8 – 1st place
Varsity 8 – 1st place

Well done, ladies!
Crew Row10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend