Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm

+13
mattywizz
Bewhy U Koogs
DJ Sherman
ShipstadPilot11
PurplePrideTrumpet
dholcombe
NoPoNeighbor
upsailor
blacksheep
oldtimer
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm - Page 3 Empty Re: BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:07 am

Stonehouse wrote:the Schoenfeldt guys were awesome, and were painted up at least an hour and a half before the game. They are trying to start up a tradition connecting their dorm to basketball in the same way that Villa is tied to soccer, and they should be encouraged every step of the way in that endeavor. Great job, guys! Hope some more of your friends come to the next game!
I was very happy when I saw the students that were in the front row. The Padre guys and the other folks that were there are fantastic. They're devoted fans and they are definitely willing to cheer. They deserve all the credit in the world. Those folks show up on a regular basis and cheer and care about the game. I could tell from my seat on the other side of Chiles that one young man was red-faced yelling at the refs - I like to see emotion like that.
Stonehouse wrote:Even though the dance started after 9, the buses to take kids downtown started loading at 8:30. Really, there wasn't much of an option for kids to go to the game if they were planning on going to the dance unless they had some way to get a ride to the Crystal Ballroom on their own. And since freshman aren't allowed to have cars and not that many upper-classmen have cars either, pretty much everyone was planning on taking the buses.

Not trying to make excuses, just saying... don't blame the students. Blame UP.
In my experience many students don't go until 10 or 11 and the buses run pretty constantly throughout the night. Granted, maybe that changed this year but I don't see the game and dance as mutually exclusive. However, I realize that many students want to 'socialize' before the dance and may have opted to do that rather than go to the game. Definitely a scheduling issue but I think anyone with the desire to could have attended both events.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm - Page 3 Empty Re: BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 am

So.. The choice was pre-func or game, not dance or game?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:56 am

Just echoing what Stony and SP11 wrote, great enthusiasm from the students that were there, and I agree the scheduling SNAFU definitely was a factor. No, the game and dance are not mutually exclusive, but come on, the chance to squeeze a girl (or whatever) versus watching a bunch of sweaty guys has got to give the typical male undergrad a reason to question his priorities.

My one bone to pick with the GO PILOTS guys is, with about two minute to go the GO had gone home, as had a number of people (again). Embarassed

There is no doubt the final score did not reflect the closeness of the game, and I think that kept our fans vocal (and we were!) even though we were outnumbered by those wearing blue and white.

Two home games to go and they are both on a Thursday night; never the best night for fans young and old. How do we get the students out in numbers and noise? SP11, you’re the one with student contacts, we’re counting on you. :face:
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:02 pm

I agree that the students--particularly the Schoenfeldt guys in front--were doing a great job!! Keep it up, guys! Hopefully they can keep up the excitement and it will build! Hopefully the Athletic Department can also encourage them, too, with some tools...

I noticed that the student numbers certainly dwindled late in the game (not the Schoenfeldts, though!), and the buses would be the reason. Poor planning on the school's part.

Keep it up, Schoenfeldt Hall!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Two home games to go and they are both on a Thursday night; never the best night for fans young and old. How do we get the students out in numbers and noise? SP11, you’re the one with student contacts, we’re counting on you. :face:
I wasn't successful in motivating attendance as a student and I'm not sure how I'd accomplish it now. I know many of the students that are passionate about the team but they aren't the ones who need motivating...
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:15 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Two home games to go and they are both on a Thursday night; never the best night for fans young and old. How do we get the students out in numbers and noise? SP11, you’re the one with student contacts, we’re counting on you. :face:
I wasn't successful in motivating attendance as a student and I'm not sure how I'd accomplish it now. I know many of the students that are passionate about the team but they aren't the ones who need motivating...
Understood! I guess the ones who don't need motivating need to motivate those that do!

In total agreement with Nut, the school CAN provide tools, and CAN market the games in the dorms and classrooms. Remember high school, it was simply a matter of us wearing our team jackets on game day to remind the students that this was their opportunity to show school spirit and pride. cheers

The players themselves (can) play a big part in motivating their fellow students. Stand up in front of class and invite them to participate and support their student-athlete classmates. I know the student-athletes are much more a part of the student body as a whole than they were when I was an undergrad. afro
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:31 pm

I didn't state it earlier, but I'm pretty happy with the way we played this game. We put up a much better fight than I would have expected early in the season and we are improving. We were in this game for a good portion even on an off free throw shooting night. On an average ft night I think we have a very good chance to win as we wouldn't have needed to foul down the stretch.

So even though it's a loss I'm fairly happy as such things go. I think it showed good progress and promise for the last few games of this year and for next year.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:50 pm

I agree, that despite the FT situation, we played well and were in the game until the last couple minutes. The game had no flow (thanks to all the whistles), but we hung around, and played hard. This team is playing MUCH better than it did even a few weeks ago, and it is exciting to watch.

I look forward to the LMU game Thursday, as the next 3 games (LMU, @USD, @Pepp) will determine our Vegas seeding. We have shown that we can be competitive with the top teams in the conference (GU & BYU at home, and @LMU & @SMC), the we can beat the lower tier teams (SCU, @SCU, Pepp), and now it is time to see how we measure up against the mid-WCC teams, since we have been playing better.

A win on Thursday would do wonders for seeding purposes (especially tie breaker scenarios).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Bewhy U Koogs wrote:I heard on tv tonight that your administration let the BYU fans stay after so that the players/coaches could come out before getting on the bus and meet them. Very classy and appreciated.
Just wanted to drop a note that for the number of fans that traveled (from wherever) to watch the UP/BYU game, that's probably the most polite group of visiting fans I've met in a while, particularly after the game while the band is cleaning up. Can't say the same for the majority of WSU/GU/etc. fans.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:24 pm

PilotDrummer wrote:Just wanted to drop a note that for the number of fans that traveled (from wherever) to watch the UP/BYU game, that's probably the most polite group of visiting fans I've met in a while, particularly after the game while the band is cleaning up. Can't say the same for the majority of WSU/GU/etc. fans.
I too will admit there were quite a few good-natured folks at the game, many who had never seen BYU play since they were students, and many as it turns out, who never went to BYU, but it’s the team they support. There were sure a lot of young kids and youths in blue and white, and it made for a very nice spirited and family atmosphere.

I was ready to pick a fight from the get-go when a woman in a BYU shirt (I wouldn't call her a cougar) was talking on her cell phone during the National Anthem. But when I turned and glared at her, she immediately flipped it closed and then said she was sorry after the singing stopped.

Later when I yelled to SP11, "With all the BYU shirts surrounding you it looks like you’re at a Republican rally," it got some great laughs from those in purple, but the BYU folks too were having a lot of fun with it. (Maybe they know something..........). clown
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:41 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Definitely a scheduling issue but I think anyone with the desire to could have attended both events.

As I think about this, I realize that the date of the dance was likely scheduled long before the hoops schedule was even put together (you would have to reserve the Crystal about a year out), but I agree that anyone with a desire to attend both certainly could (and I heard many did, including the players and students working at the game). After the game, you would still have PLENTY of time to get ready and get downtown by the time things weere picking up.

There will always be conflicts, it is a matter of making the game attractive enough to be a priority, and then move on.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:59 am

Here are some pictures from the Beacon that show why some bypassed the BYU game and headed to the Chrystal Ballroom.

BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm - Page 3 110
BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm - Page 3 210

Love to see that excitement at a Pilots game! Cool But, I can't blame them for having FUN!!!!!!!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next