Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michelle French to Coach Sounders Women

+6
DoubleDipper
A_Fan
onetouchfutbol
estplnr
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Michelle French to Coach Sounders Women - Page 2 Empty Re: Michelle French to Coach Sounders Women

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:08 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
jc wrote:With the talent on this team, including Keelin and Megan, this team will surely be fun to watch. How about some carpools, buses even, from Portland up to some of the games?

You can. This whole thing is tearing me up inside. All my favorites playing under THAT name.

I get through it by thinking of then as Team Cascadia.

Lost in the shuffle is that Frenchie also got former UW player and current Mexican Nat player Veronica Perez. The Sounders look to be able to give any WPS team a run for its money.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Michelle French to Coach Sounders Women - Page 2 Empty Re: Michelle French to Coach Sounders Women

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:02 am

Random aside... The Sounders have a Women's team, as do the Whitecaps... Doesn't it seem to show that maybe the Timbers should look at having their own Women's squad as well?

Somehow I think there MIGHT be a market for it (Even if they don't make flashy signings like the Sounders have this summer), and while it may not get the same wide appeal as the mens squad you can't tell me the TA soccer junkies wouldn't jump at the excuse to get rowdy a few more times a year.... I mean they could rent out Merlo if they wanted a smaller scale, or were worried about operating costs of opening up the big park.

I know the MLS franchises are pretty wary of even being tied to the WPS (as they should be)... But it seems to me the MLS teams using the W-League works justt fine. I mean Seattle, Vancouver, Colorado and DC United are all sponsoring teams, seems to me a further expansion of the Timbers brand might not be a bad idea at all... I mean heck you could even market it as the more "family friendly" wing of the Timbers association

(hahaha although the way soccer moms/dads behave sometimes, I don't know if it really make that much of a difference)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:50 am

I think the reality is that the high profile WNT players are actually cheaper.

USWNT players who have residency contracts have the backing of the players association and a guaranteed paycheck from the USSF. If there is a league, they get partial money from the USSF and part of their paycheck from the teams. The WPS was able to play WNT players only because of the USSF player contract money. Players with endorsement contracts are also probably under pressure to find places to stay visible. So it is in everybody's interests to have a viable league around.

The player contract runs out after this summer's games in London, so it will be interesting to see what gets negotiated for the future. And the players have added incentive this summer. If they do well enough for an attendance spike after the games, all will be well in the W league. If not.....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:04 am

So is the answer the regional approach as with the W-League as opposed to a national league that the WPS attempted (at least originally)?

It cuts down on operating costs, but for nationwide exposure of big players it definitely leaves something to be desired (Especially for players paid to have a logo on their shoes)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:17 am

I'm not sure. The WPS went East in an effort to cut travel costs, but there is no question that there is as much support out West and that some players would rather stay out here.

One of the things that has to happen is that some of the relatively outlandish salaries have to go away. I think Marta killed every team she went to.

Perhaps true regional conferences would be the answer. FIFA and the USSF want a minimum of 8 teams to recognize a league, and even without the shutdown there was no indication that would happen in the WPS. The W league might be a better model, but the women are going to have to accept being in the shadow/control of the MLS. I don't see where else league support would come from.

At a minimum, the USSF might demand that the WPS be the USSF sanctioned teams in the East, and the W league elsewhere in order to have more teams playing. The travel across time zones need only be in the playoffs. If there were 3 or 4 teams in the NW, for example, there could be a pretty good mini-schedule right there, especially in years with major international competitions.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:34 am

It seems much more feasible, AND it would let local favorites stay around their fan bases, I dont know, it seems a lot more like a European model, but I think it would work well in Women's soccer... Heck even if you played the majority of your games with your region and then had a few interleague games so as to give some exposure for players across markets it seems like it would work a lot better...

But what do I know?
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:47 am

I was curious how the W-League Sounders could afford to have seven national players on the team. Well, here’s the answer, and a lot more if you read the entire article that includes mention of Portland needing a W-League team!
Love of Game, Not Money
It's the local ties, not the money. I was shocked, and slightly appalled that these women have signed one year "contracts" which I'm told is the normal length of contracts in the W-League, for $0 dollars. That's right, ZERO, nada, zip, nothin! The W-League is amateur in nature. That means that the current college girls on the roster would lose their eligibility to play if the Pros were paid. So, my fellow Sounder fans, these women are putting their passion for top quality play in front of their need to make a living.
See the rest of the article at:http://www.sounderatheart.com/2012/3/27/2902635/Sounders-Women-Play-For-Free
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:19 pm

well, no.

Poor research by the writer, who is assuming that because college players play in the W league that all players don't get paid.

USWNT players in residency get USSF money under their player contract (due to expire after the Olympics).

http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/2006/women/jan04.htm

they actually get more money from the USSF if WPS is not around. Up to $70K plus room and board at the start of the contract, more now.

they are STRONGLY told they have to be playing somewhere if they expect to keep those residency contracts. Even when the WPS paid them, the USSF contract took precedence.
The Sounders may actually be having to provide little more than living allowances, but the players are still salaried.

and W league is considered an open league where pros and amateurs can both play under the USSF and FIFA guidelines. They are just like european clubs like ümea and Balingen in Sweden that can play Marta along side college players like Talonen (Balingen) in the Damallsvenskan

Talonen played in the Swedish league both before and after she played for FSU. it is, in fact, required by the Swedish FA that all first division clubs must sponsor these mixed leagues for youngsters.
In that system, it is your INDIVIDUAL contract that determines whether you are amateur or pro.

See the FIFA definition of amateur, which the NCAA accepts ( or it would not allow foreign players in the NCAA or college players in the Olympics and World Cups)
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/51/56/07/transfer_commentary_06_en_1843.pdf
( page 10)

CAS 2004/A/691 no. 76 & 77: the mere existence of a written agreement between an amateur and the club for which he is registered does not suffice to trigger the application of the Regulations regarding contractual stability. These provisions are only applicable to professional contracts. In other words, amateur status is not defined by reference to an “amateur contract” but by the fact that a player has never received any remuneration other than the reimbursement of the actual expenses incurred. The interests of a club that has engaged an amateur player are protected by the provisions on training compensation when an amateur player becomes professional.

"actual expenses" includes room, board, expenses and uniforms, health care, and education while playing. Pretty much the same deal as a college player.

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W-League
The W-League's inaugural season was in 1995. Originally called the United States Interregional Women's League, it later changed its name to the W-League. Although at its inception some of the league's franchises were barely above amateur level, it provided a professional outlet for many of the top female soccer players in the country. With professionals driving the level of play, the league made a very strong debut performance.
From 1995 through the 1997 season the W-League was a single tier format (all teams at the same division). This changed before the 1998 season when the W-League became a two tier league. The top tier/division was called W-1 and lower division, W-2. This division was in effect through the 2001 season - the first year of the new US Women's first division league WUSA. The W-League returned to a single tier format in the 2002 season, and remains as such.

when Sinclair, Milbrett, and Schmidt played for the Whitecaps in the W league a few years ago, the first two got paid and Schmidt didn't and Sophie retained her amateur status for the NCAA.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Ummm, I think I liked the incomplete, poorly researched article better! lol! But thanks for all the digging.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Well, then just keep thinking USSF players don't have to feed themselves.

They are in Seattle because they don't want to go overseas, for most of them they have ties to the area, and they need to play to fulfill their contracts. If they took money from the W league, their USSF pay reduction they negotiated if there was a women's league would probably kick in. The cost of living is probably better than most alternatives. And joining a foreign team right before the Olympics sounds like a bad idea.

I'm happy they chose the NW, but it isn't all altruism.

Canada and Mexico have similar deals with their players. Canada doesn't pay as much ( though I bet they find money for Chistine), but they have better health care.

Maternity leave , for example, is much better than 50% ( term not specified, but Rampone took off about 2 1/2 mos. before her last child and was back training 2 weeks after).

Canadian law.
In most of Canada, it's 55% for 50 weeks . In Quebec, it's 70% for 25 weeks and then 55% for 25 weeks. In both cases, the male parent can also get leave.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Why don't we just start a PilotNaton W-League Team here in Portland?

From the Seattle Times:
The Sounders Women announced the signing of U.S. women's national team defender Stephanie Cox for the 2012 season on Wednesday.

A Gig Harbor native and University of Portland product, Cox has made 81 national team appearances and joins an impressive roster that already includes USWNT stars Hope Solo, Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe and Sydney Leroux.

Cox is expected to be available for seven of the W-League team's 10 home games.

GM Amy Carnell has the bigger picture in mind according to a statement in the news release.

"Early on we told fans this would be a special season for Sounders Women's Soccer, but speaking boldly, this season is about much more," Carnell said. "As the future of women's soccer hangs in the balance we've got a lot at stake, and everything to prove. We have the opportunity to set the bar for Women's Soccer in this country and show that Seattle is a place where a 10 year old girl can dream, where women's sport is valued, and where a community with such passion for the game can actually change it."

The start of preseason is less than two weeks away, starting with an April 9 exhibition against Seattle Pacific at Starfire. Tickets are available at SoundersWomen.com.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Somebody on BS pointed out Keelin's name isn't on the Sounders roster today.

http://www.sounderswomen.com/team/1/index_E.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:12 pm

You´ve got to love Michelle French. She´s having fun influencing this team...with the off year for the WPS...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:37 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:Somebody on BS pointed out Keelin's name isn't on the Sounders roster today.

I guess it depends where you look. I've seen her name on another roster, and there is only mention of her arrival on the Sounders Facebook, no mention of her leaving. The "offical" W-League website lists no names on the roster.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Geez, I know you're counting on us to keep you updated while you are away; would you like it reported in castellano (Castilian)?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:59 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:Somebody on BS pointed out Keelin's name isn't on the Sounders roster today.

I guess it depends where you look. I've seen her name on another roster, and there is only mention of her arrival on the Sounders Facebook, no mention of her leaving. The "offical" W-League website lists no names on the roster.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Geez, I know you're counting on us to keep you updated while you are away; would you like it reported in castellano (Castilian)?

Por supuesto, si vos tendrás el tiempo.

Her name was on that roster I linked a couple days ago. Maybe somebody goofed when they added Steph.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:04 am

Maybe they play at different times of the year, but curiosity makes me ask how Keelin can play for both the Boston Breakers and Seattle. I'm open for an answer...Geez??? Or anyone?
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:19 am

purple passion wrote: but curiosity makes me ask how Keelin can play for both the Boston Breakers and Seattle.

Well by the fact that the WPS has completely suspended operations for the year (and perhaps indefinitely). As for this year there is simply no conflict.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:41 am

Yes, I knew that the WPS had suspended play, but the Boston Breakers are playing in the WPSL this year and Keelin is listed on that roster.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:20 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

Por supuesto, si vos tendrás el tiempo.

Her name was on that roster I linked a couple days ago. Maybe somebody goofed when they added Steph.
Tiempo no es el problema, a menos que estoy en el campo de golf, se trata más de la energía!

¿Cuando a usted y a la Sra. Geez viajar a Argentina?

Yea, I saw her name this morning, but it wasn't there late last night. Sleep
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:41 pm

purple passion wrote:Maybe they play at different times of the year, but curiosity makes me ask how Keelin can play for both the Boston Breakers and Seattle. I'm open for an answer...Geez??? Or anyone?
The Breakers will play a schedule this year from mid-May until mid-July, but the former WPS franchise will play as part of the WPSL Elite League.

The confusion over rosters probably stems from OLD information on the WPS Breakers' website which lists, among others, Keelin and Kelsey Davis. Keelin IS in Seattle, and as far as we know, Kelsey is coaching at TCU. So I guess we'll just have to see who's playing for the Breakers once the roster shakes out over the next six weeks.

If Keelin WERE on both rosters, it's too bad the Breakers and Sounders aren't scheduled to play one another; that would be fun to watch. Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:59 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Tiempo no es el problema, a menos que estoy en el campo de golf, se trata más de la energía!

Be careful what books you take with you. curiosa-justificacion-de-las-trabas-de-moreno-a-los-libros-importados

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:22 pm

up7587 wrote:

Be careful what books you take with you. curiosa-justificacion-de-las-trabas-de-moreno-a-los-libros-importados

Wow. Does that include E-books? My iPad is kinda on the old side now. I'm not sure the circuit boards are CE compliant. Shocked
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:34 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Tiempo no es el problema, a menos que estoy en el campo de golf, se trata más de la energía!

Vamos en dos semanas. Nos dirigimos hacia el noroeste. Ya estoy practicando qetchwa y guaraní.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:37 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:
up7587 wrote:

Wow. Does that include E-books? My iPad is kinda on the old side now. I'm not sure the circuit boards are CE compliant. Shocked
Umm, suena April Fools, chicos
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:
up7587 wrote:

Umm, suena April Fools, chicos

You never know. I can show you my old grade school textbooks with the word "Falklands" blacked out.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next