Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TJ, Coop drafted into the "D" League

+3
Rob's Jacket
onetouchfutbol
Geezaldinho
7 posters

Go down

TJ, Coop drafted into the "D" League Empty TJ, Coop drafted into the "D" League

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:43 pm

actually, the headline in the O is:

Oregon State's Calvin Haynes and former UP and PSU players taken in NBA D-League draft

http://www.oregonlive.com/nba/index.ssf/2011/11/players_from_portland_portland.html

Mike -- really? you couldn't name the UP players?

heres the start of this article

Calvin Haynes, a 6-foot-2 guard who completed his four-year career at Oregon State earlier this year, was drafted in the seventh round by the Reno Bighorns.

Haynes played in 122 games at OSU, the sixth most in school history, and finished 16th in career scoring with 1,226 points.

The University of Portland had two players drafted, led by T.J. Campbell, a 5-9 guard who was taken by the Canton Charge with the second pick of the fourth round. Campbell played professionally in Australia last season.

Darren Cooper, a graduate of Benson High School who completed his Pilots career in 2007, was taken by the Maine Red Claws in the fifth round. Cooper, a 6-3 guard, played the last two seasons with the D-League's Dakota Wizards.

Juma Kamara, who played for Portland State until 2007, was taken in the eighth round by the Bakersfield Jam. Kamara, a 6-6 guard/forward, has been playing professionally in Qatar.

Another familiar name was drafted in the third round, where the Erie BayHawks drafted Mychel Thompson out of Pepperdine. Thompson, despite the different spelling, is the son of Mychal Thompson, whom the Trail Blazers took with the No. 1 pick of the 1978 NBA draft.

Congrats to TJ and Coop, and boy am I glad we got that spelling thing worked out.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

TJ, Coop drafted into the "D" League Empty Re: TJ, Coop drafted into the "D" League

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Yeah, I saw this too. It´s great to see these 2 draw some attention... Smile I hope they can use it as a stepping stone. I´m not sure what being drafted into the D League means with the lock out and all.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

TJ, Coop drafted into the "D" League Empty Re: TJ, Coop drafted into the "D" League

Post by Rob's Jacket Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:14 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:Yeah, I saw this too. It´s great to see these 2 draw some attention... Smile I hope they can use it as a stepping stone. I´m not sure what being drafted into the D League means with the lock out and all.

That they're playing in the premier professional basketball league in America? Question

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:28 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:Yeah, I saw this too. It´s great to see these 2 draw some attention... Smile I hope they can use it as a stepping stone. I´m not sure what being drafted into the D League means with the lock out and all.

Watched TJ Campbell and his Canton Charge cherry play on NBA TV tonight (they lost to the Iowa Energy 100-82). It was Canton’s first game as a franchise; Iowa is the defending D League Champs. The Camera angle made TJ look about 4’ tall. Frankly, he didn’t shoot well (I think he scored 4), but played 25 minutes off the bench in the 1 and 2 positions.

Darren Cooper came off the bench for the Maine Red Claws and had 0 points in 15 minutes in their opening night loss this evening.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 am

With the Cavs trading backup PG Ramon Sessions to the Lakers, I wonder if there is any chance TJ gets called up from the Canton Charge. He's averaging 12.4 ppg and 5.0 apg in the D-League. Manny Harris would be their other option but the team didn't renew his contract last week. It will be guaranteed through the end of the year if they do sign Manny again.

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:34 am

Go TJ!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:37 pm

I think it's definitely possible. Sessions was backing up Kyrie Irving, and they don't have a third point on their roster.

They do have Boobie Gibson still, though, so he could probably handle PG duties in a pinch.

But he's Anthony Parker's main back-up, so I don't know... maybe it's TJ Time!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:09 pm

From CantonRep.com today:
The Cleveland Cavaliers recently signed point guard Donald Sloan for the rest of the season from the D-League’s Erie BayHawks. He is backing up Kyrie Irving after the Ramon Sessions trade.

Sloan, who also has played a little bit with the Hawks and Hornets this season, scored 11 points in the Cavs’ win in New Jersey on Monday night.

It’s unclear how seriously the Cavaliers considered the Charge’s T.J. Campbell, who has been exceptional since late January. It was difficult for Campbell to see the parent club of the Charge go get a point guard from outside the organization.

“It definitely bugs me, but I’ll get my chance eventually,” Campbell said. “I’m just trying to stay focused and do my best. I can’t worry about the things that are going on around the league. It’s good for Sloan. He’s getting his chance.”

For comparison’s sake, Campbell is averaging 17.5 points and 7.1 assists since becoming a starter 18 games ago. Sloan averaged 22.8 points, 7.4 assists and 5.1 rebounds in eight games for Erie this season.

Sloan (6-foot-3) is taller than Campbell (5-9) and more experienced, having already played some in the NBA and having spent all of last year playing in the D-League while Campbell played sparingly overseas. Both are 24, with their birthdays eight days apart. Sloan played collegiately at Texas A&M and Campbell at the University of Portland.

Campbell is a much better long-range shooter, boasting 41.8 percent from the arc on the season, compared to 26.3 percent for Sloan.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down