Irvine

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Irvine

Post by A_Fan on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 am

Pilotpadre was updating the Chatbox during the game until his phone battery gave out. Hopefully he will give us his analysis of the game here when he gets the chance. He did say that Cloee was hurt early in the game and came out for the balance. He also said that it was the nastiest opponent he has seen in quite some time.

A_Fan
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1432
Registration date : 2007-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Irvine

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Are we just ignoring the fact that the team lost to UC Irvine? Or does no one have anything to say?

Back to top Go down

Post by UPPilots on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:20 pm

I think everyone got caught up in the national team game

UPPilots
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:00 pm

RipCityPilot -

We're losing.
If we were winning there would be plenty of posts. Beating a Dead Horse

FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:16 am

It's hard to have much of anything to say about the game when no one was there (at least no one posted anything), no one saw it on TV or streaming, no one heard it - there weren't even any stats being posted. I have no feel for what happened.

fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:09 am

FFA

Just what I was thinking. I didn't see the game and was not even able to follow play-by-play. I've no idea what happened beyond the stats. Disappointing to lose another game. Worrying that Cloee went off after 20-odd minutes.

Pilots will have an average season unless some of the players are able to step up to the next level. Still waiting to see who can raise their game to make up for the loss of Keelin, Sophie, Elli, Jess and Kendall.

Cloee, MO, Dani are still top players in IMO. Micalea has improved this year: she is seeing more options for passing and making some of those passes, which makes her a stronger all-around player.

Others are getting more time and are showing signs of maturity as players but none of them have risen to the level of those who are gone. So the team is not as strong.

Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:21 am

fan from afar wrote:It's hard to have much of anything to say about the game when no one was there (at least no one posted anything), no one saw it on TV or streaming, no one heard it - there weren't even any stats being posted. I have no feel for what happened.

Actually if you went on the UC Irvine website that had did have play by play stats. They actually have a pretty nice website.

The pilots one score was a PK. The shots on goal as well as shots in total were pretty even betwen the two sides. Most of our shots were by Dani. There goalie just hapened to have more saves and they converted on thier opportunities. Tough Loss!

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:08 am

One observation of the box score showed that Malloy Leahy played...I was beginning to think they were going to redshirt her this year.
The Pilot style of play in past years has always (IMHO) been possession and this team can't seem to do that yet...long balls by the opposition put us on immediate defense, so gaining possession has been tough. Maybe we have to start using the long ball and have our forwards get to it quickly so we are at the correct end of the pitch.
It would be an EXTREME shame if Dani was denied a trip to the playoffs.

purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-10-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by forumup57 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:30 am

The few posts on the forum these days seem to be coming to the realization that this season may not result in an NCAA tourney bid. It is realistic that this team finishes 4th in the WCC, maybe even with 10 losses. While it seems a bit early to write off the conference schedule, the question should be asked. What is the direction of this program now? Only 2500 were at the USC game. A lot of attention was given to the former players in town this past week, and deservedly so. Are the glory days over? Six players graduate at season's end and it seems a bit of a stretch to imagine that next year's team will return to the possession style of play that was the hallmark of past teams. This year's team seems unable to do it. A national ranking next year does not seem likely at this point unless there is a huge change.

forumup57
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Yes there has been a lot of attention paid to former women Pilots this week. Below is a bio of a another former pilot who is doing quit well down in Eugene. As you can see, she has made major contributions as UO's recruiting coordinator. She certainly has some impressive credentials......

"Lauren Hanson is in her third season with the University of Oregon womenís soccer program as associate head coach. Hanson assists in player development, specifically with the defense, while serving as the programís recruiting coordinator.

Hanson has made an immediate impact on UOís recruiting efforts, landing several high-profile prospects since arriving on campus in 2009. She was instrumental in signing Kelsey Foo, Shanelle Simien and Abby Steele as part of the 2011 class, with all three boasting experience with junior U.S. National Teams. Southern California and Colorado are two areas of emphasis on the recruiting trail for Hanson. She nabbed 2011 newcomers Bri Pugh and Reilley Moore from the Denver and Colorado Springs areas respectively. And Simien, an elite player from Lakewood, Calif., was invited to the National ODP Invitational Camp three consecutive years and served as a member of the U14 and U18 USA National Team pool.

Prior to UO, Hanson spent nine seasons as both a player and coach with the University of Portland womenís soccer program. Hanson spent the five seasons as an assistant coach at her alma mater, where she won NCAA National Championships as both a player (2002) and a coach (2005) with the Pilots.

Hanson was named the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Assistant Coach of the Year in 2006. She was part of the coaching staff that led the Pilots to a 23-0-2 record en route to winning the 2005 championship. The Pilots reached at least the third round of the playoffs in each of her seasons as an assistant.

During the summer of 2006, Hanson worked as an assistant coach with the 91 girls regional team in the Olympic Development Program. She also assisted at the U-14 girls National Team camp that year. She served on the coaching staff for the 92 girls regional squad in both 2007 and 2008.

Hanson, who has her A coaching license, has worked extensively with club teams in the Portland area. As a member of the FC Portland coaching staff, she assisted the U-16 girls Maroon team to both the 2005 and 2006 state championship, and then to the regional finals. Hanson was the head coach of the girls U-14 FC Portland Sage team. She also mentored the FC Portland Purple team at the U-15 and U-16 levels, leading the squad to the state cup final as U-16s.

Hanson was a four-year starter for the Pilots at center back. She was a Hermann Trophy nominee in her senior season, a year she capped by winning a national title. She was named to Soccer Americaís 11-player MVP team as a senior, while also earning first team NSCAA and Soccer Buzz All-American accolades that year. Hanson, who was a three-time All-West Coast Conference pick, was the WCC Defender of the Year in 2002.

She was also a first team Soccer Buzz All-American and a NSCAA second team pick as a junior in 2001.

Following a stellar career at UP, Hanson was selected ninth overall in the 2003 WUSA Draft by the New York Power. She also played at the highest level competitively as a member of the U.S. National Team (2001-02). She was with the U.S. U-21 National Team from 1999-00 and participated in the full-team camp in 2000. She played on the U-18 National Team (1998), in the U-16 National Team pool (1996) and on the Far West Region Team (1995-98).

Hanson, formerly Lauren Orlandos, graduated from Portland in 2003 with a bachelorís degree in interdisciplinary. She is married to Travis Hanson and the couple have a son, Cole."

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:01 pm

At the time of Lauren's departure, there was some discussion in this forum about her being the key to recruiting and some expressed concern about a drop-off in this area. With her here, it seemed that each year had some incoming player or players with national team exposure. Now it appears that she has taken that tremendous skill to Oregon to the detriment of the Pilots. I'm not sure of any national team players coming in since her departure, with the possible exception of Cloee. I think it's fair to say that the drop in quality of play could be directly tied to the loss of Lauren. Garrett needs to find a solution to this short-coming as we cannot rely on those diamonds in the rough to save this program, especially when the person who found many of them and then worked on developing them is no longer here.

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2007-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Maybe Garrett has to just polish up the crystal ball to recruit players who won't get hurt. Good luck with that. We have national team players on the team now, if it weren't for injuries. I recall when we went to the College Cup with ONE YNT player (Frenchie).

Cloee was captain of the silver medal u17 team, had to redshirt a year with a stress fracture in her hip and has had leg problems since. If you note, her time this year has been very limited. Our sophomore co-captain played 22 minutes Friday.

Michelle Cruz was on Jill's national teams playing both as a forward, then as a defender. She was scheduled for more camps when she got hurt this Spring.

Emily was a U17 YNT player when she committed and before she got 2 ACL's. She is just now starting to go full tilt after more than a two year layoff.

Kendall is a YNT player when she isn't on the sidelines hurt.

Besides that,

Olivier was a top recruit and is finally getting her game together after struggling with heart issues.

We know about Kassies two back surgeries and continuing pain. She didn't make the California trip.

Bridges sat out two games while her health was evaluated.

Leahy just got her first game Friday after sitting all year.

Amanda and Dani both have had compression syndrome surgeries.

That doesn't even include the several players with "minor" injuries ( hamstrings, etc) they are dealing with.

We need to get through this weekend and try to heal during the two week layoff before BYU and the conference season.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10315
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by forumup57 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:39 pm

In the past, key players were always gone to National Team duty or injured. A player was always available to step in and fill the void. Injury was never an excuse in the past and it should not be one now. The coaches would agree with that. Is it not their job to maintain the program from year to year? It seems as though it was in the past. Here is a simple example, Keelin was the starting holding mid for 4 years. Arguably, one of the most important positions in a possession based offense. What was done to groom a replacement and/or recruit one? Answer, apparently nothing from what we have seen this year. Did it come as a surprise that Keelin would graduate? And who plays holding mid next year?

forumup57
Recruit
Recruit

Registration date : 2011-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:12 pm

In the past, Up has gone to the NCAA semis with 13 field players suited up due to injuries. That's what we had when we played UNC to four overtimes in the semifinal in 1998. Up is a small school. We have small rosters. Get used to it. We don't use that as an excuse, but people calling for certain lineups composed of players that are hurt, or people saying we didn't recruit national team players have just totally lost touch with reality. The talent is there, it's just on the bench. We have more national team players rostered than at any time in the 1990's, and more that most of the years in this millennium.

If you want to root for a team that can roster 35 players, pick Florida, UNC, or some other state school that can offer in state tuition to out of state recruits. That's not us. We will always have 22-24 players until the NCAA allows more scholarships. Some years that won't be enough.

The big difference I remember between most of our years and the 2 championship years is that those 2 years had no injuries to key starters.
2005 was particularly injury free.

As to starting Keelin for 4 years being some sort of coaching error, that's ridiculous. At UP the best players play, and they always have, and they usually play full games. Lisa Sari started 4 years before Keelin in the same spot and set the record for minutes played by a field player and I don't recall that anyone thought that was a mistake. Before her it was Betsey Barr. It was the same before her and before that player.

Sometimes we have been fortunate and players turned out to have injury free careers. Sometimes it doesnt work out. It's the same with every program. Santa Clara Just had an injury period which we benefitted from, but I don't see that as a coaching mistake by Jerry Smith.

We even benefited by a spate of injuries to UNC in 2002 that helped us on our way to the first championship. So even those teams with seemingly endless replacements have seasons where injuries just get to be too much.

And as to Lauren Hansen being some sort of magic bullet -- great player, undoubtedly a great recruiter and coach for us, but Oregon hasn't gotten appreciably better in her three years there, and in fact OSU has surpassed them in recruiting and record.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Geezer, I think some people just haven't ever supported a team that is less than dominant. They see this adversity and don't know what to make of it so they panic and think it's all going to come crashing down. I want to see wins, sure, but I'm also not worried.

PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Besides which, let's get the facts right. Michelle Olivier had a fair amount of time at holding mid last year.

UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1701
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:14 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Geezer, I think some people just haven't ever supported a team that is less than dominant. They see this adversity and don't know what to make of it so they panic and think it's all going to come crashing down. I want to see wins, sure, but I'm also not worried.

Year, I know. People have gotten so spoiled they think we win conference every year because we have won 6 of the last 7.

The truth is that SCU won it more often that we did before this recent run regardless how you want to fondly remember past dominance. We didn't pass their total until a year or two ago.

We didn't win conference in 2002 when we won our first championship. Heck, we didn't even come in second.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotfan11 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:28 pm

No matter what we gotta win on the road... seems like it could be a bit of a mental game playing a role.. add in the key injuries and wahlah... we're in the situation we're in.

I appreciate the attitude of Geezer, sometimes a record doesn't reflect a team's ability and coaching. Teams go through many phases and are never stagnant. There's a ton of luck and timing that plays into a winning season. Maybe things will fall into place later because we haven't had a great start.

I'm gonna keep the faith that they will pull together another playoff appearance.

Pilots 'till I Die!!!

pilotfan11
Recruit
Recruit

Registration date : 2011-07-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:16 am

In 2008 UP recruited 7 girls with 3 having National Team (NT) playing experience. In 2009 they recruited 5 with one having NT playing experience. In 2010 they recruited 7 with one having NT playing experience. In 2011 they recruited 4 with none having NT playing experience. And UP is currently planning to recruit 3 players in 2012, none with NT playing experience.

This year the team has suffered more than its fair share of injuries, some due to bad luck and some possibly due to over-conditioning.

Are recruiting and injury problems combining to contribute to the teamís poor record and substandard play this year? I donít know.

Can the coaching staff regroup the team to turn things around prior to seasons end? I hope so.

Will the administration at UP be happy with a substandard result this year that may lead to lower attendance figures? No way. Remember this may be a game to you but its all business to them. Just ask anyone who has coached college athletics at the Division I level.

Good luck to the Pilots in Northridge today. May they then go home for some much needed rest and recovery.

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:51 am

I've grown to love watching the Pilots and this season I have to think below the surface of won-loss record to explain why I still love them. A major attraction has been the chance to see powerful stars exert themselves and excel (such as Christine, Megan, Michelle E.) And these stars work within a genuine team system in which all players matter and passing and ball control. I admire the fitness level and discipline shown across many years. The chance to observe a calm, patient coach who lets the players play is a real plus too. There's always been a lot to like in the past decade. Seeing the team at its current low point is puzzling, and hard to accept or rationalize, because so many observers expected big things (WCC championship, top 10 preseason ranking) based on reputation and past performance. What I'll do is continue my support and be there for as many games as I can, and give someone else my tickets when I can't.

purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:23 pm

color me purple wrote:In 2008 UP recruited 7 girls with 3 having National Team (NT) playing experience. In 2009 they recruited 5 with one having NT playing experience. In 2010 they recruited 7 with one having NT playing experience. In 2011 they recruited 4 with none having NT playing experience. And UP is currently planning to recruit 3 players in 2012, none with NT playing experience.

This is the part, and the only part, that concerns me. UP has been excellent at finding the diamonds in the rough, but it is also undeniably true that we have fallen off in the past few years in recruiting players with NT experience. If I am reading things correctly, there are indeed none for 2012 and only one for 2013. Let's hope that this is just a blip, and let's also hope there are more diamonds in the rough coming in. It is extremely satisfying to find that kind of player (Kendall being the most recent example - I don't believe she had any NT experience before she got to Portland).

fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Again, you are taking recent history and treating it like it was always the UP path to success. Nothing is further from the truth.
The fact is we usually were pretty pleased if the player made ODP.

From 1990 to 1998, UP had two players who came to UP with National team experience, Frenchie and Tiff. Truth is, I'm not 100% sure about Tiff. She was a Nat player her freshman year, but that's all I can find.

Shannon wasn't on a national team until after she became an all American in 1992.

We did ok, going to at least the semis 6 times.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi FFA,
You are right, Kendall did not have any NT experience prior to playing at UP. In fact she only had one year of ODP State experience. Taylor Burke was another. No NT experience with only three years ODP of experience. Molly Klier was another, no NT player and she and no ODP experience at all. But they all have exceptional talent as athletes (albeit Molly's soccer career was cut short due to injury). The key for players like these is to have a coach that molds and develops their inherent talent. Clive obviously could. I am not so sure about Garrett though. I donít say this to start a war; I just havenít seen it yet.

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Some things I remember about our best teams.
They exuded confidence from the moment they started pre-game warmups to the sprints between the stands after the game.
They always knew where the other players were on the field.
They had a dominant player that caused problems for opponents.
They were lucky.

I think, these things may have a lot to do with recruiting, national team experience and coaching.
I think these things might, have more to do with team chemistry, team practice and some early wins.

Until very recently we always had very easy early season schedules. Which apparently hurt us with post season seeding and home field. So we switched to a much more demanding schedule and it is taking a toll on this young team. I think it has hurt confidence, and I would not be surprised if it has hurt team chemistry. As the lack of clear healthy starters may have.

Suck it up folks.
Are you Pilots fans?
Or will you be rooting for NC next year, along with the Yankees, Steelers, Red Wings and Lakers?

When the Pilots play at home, I will be in the stands, when they are on the road, I will be following on the interwebs.

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GoUP on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:57 pm

I think the winning seasons helped with recruiting which made it easier to field a strong team every year. Having a strong team in a weak conference also resulted in a lot of comfortable wins which allowed the coaching staff to make subs without worrying to much about impact on the results. This playing time undoubtedly made the team stronger and deeper so that injuries become less of an issue. If this cycle is broken, the coaches will have some work to do to get back to the top level we have seen the past few years. The men's team recent history likely shows how difficult it is to recruit and develop players when the program is no longer a lock to make the playoffs.

GoUP
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-11-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum